PDA

View Full Version : SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR

Snowden
03-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Is it just me, or is that chant, and to a degree face Edge, just irritating? I mean, Edge is one of my favorites, I've loved his work for quite some time, but the pimping of that chant is just absolutely killing me.

Plus, his feud with Jericho is completely one sided...which, for me, isn't selling shit. I know they want to put Edge over big time as a face, but Jericho, your World Champion, needs to look a little credible doesn't he?

Lock Jaw
03-06-2010, 01:18 AM
<div style="background:#000000; color:#ffffff; padding:10px; text-align:justify; font-family:'Courier New', Courier, monospace; font-size:12px; background-image:url(http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9126/nurplestaticbrightaz4.gif)">I am amazed by this "Edge" character. He utilizes the move called a "spear", and can manage to knock the wind out of his opponents long enough to ensure victory, even against this mammoth "Big Show". Who, by the way, utilizes a spear himself but never seems to earn victory with it.

This is a most curious phenomenon. Perhaps, being smaller, Edge also has more of an "edge" to his shoulder, if you will pardon the pun.

Favre4Ever
03-06-2010, 02:11 AM
:lol:

Wishbone
03-06-2010, 02:12 AM
meh I liked Edge better as a heel but face Edge doesn't bother me too much atleast he's more entertaining than John Cena who has become far too stale a face and needs a heel turn really soon

Favre4Ever
03-06-2010, 02:13 AM
I know they are playing up the spear thing big because they are really digging for some conflict in this feud, but I have to tell you that the spear on Big Show was one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.

Mr. Pierre
03-06-2010, 02:26 AM
I think he's extremely lame as a face, and I hope he loses at Mania, gets drafted to RAW and turns heel.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:27 AM
My girlfriend and I were talking about how annoying face Edge is tonight. Surely there's something else they can base this feud around.

DaVe
03-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Hmm, weird.

Last time I saw Edge was a couple weeks ago, and was loving his antihero face character (e.g. spearing anyone that bah gawd moves e.g. Taker, Jericho). Has he changed since then?

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:37 AM
He's a spastic who can't go two sentences without mentioning spearing someone at press time.

Juan
From what I can tell, all he's doing differently is getting the crowd to chant "spear"

Juan
He's a spastic who can't go two sentences without mentioning spearing someone at press time.

Didn't the whole "spear" thing just start last week??

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm trying to be accepting of this. It's so much harder to be a face without coming off as totally lame (especially in the PG environment), but I still can't see why people would want to get behind this. Apparently though, they are. I guess people really just love to chant stuff.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Didn't the whole "spear" thing just start last week??

Yeah, and it's already annoying as shit.

Juan
03-06-2010, 02:39 AM
lol I don't really see anything wrong with the chant. I mean, he's meant to be a face, after all.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Even outside of the 'spear' thing, he used a dated joke from Happy Gilmore and accused the Big Show of having bad breath. Come on.

Juan
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd rather hear "spear" chants than the stupid "WHAT?" chants, or even worse, no reaction at all.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:41 AM
lol I don't really see anything wrong with the chant. I mean, he's meant to be a face, after all.

His spear isn't even that devestating. Looking back at Edge's career, tons of people have kicked out of that thing.

Juan
03-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, regardless, his match with Jericho at Mania will be awesome and at the end of the day, that's all I care about.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I agree with that, but it still doesn't have the feel of a Wrestlemania match. The build up is just as important with the biggest show of the year.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:52 AM
Really, this is only slightly better than Chris Jericho cleaning up Stephanie's dog's poop leading up to Wrestlemania.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Ugh, why are faces so lame all the time? It seems like the only people who have it down to where they can be babyfaces and not annoying are Christian and Kofi Kingston.

Juan
03-06-2010, 02:53 AM
There's a little over 3 weeks before Mania, I'm certain the feud has time to pick up some steam.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 02:56 AM
You're talking speculation. I'm going on what we've actually seen.

Even still, the build up will feel forced. Jericho's been champ for only a couple weeks, and Edge was out of action for...what, like nine months?

I'm glad Jericho's the champ. I'm glad Edge is back. I'm looking forward to the actual match between the two of them at Wrestlemania. Having said that, the build up is still lacking and Edge is really fucking annoying as a face.

Juan
03-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Yeah, you mentioned that.

Skippord
03-06-2010, 02:57 AM
it's fine, you unnecessarily bitchy people

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Yeah, you mentioned that.

I was just reiterating.

it's fine, you unnecessarily bitchy people

Bitching about bitching. Nice.

Skippord
03-06-2010, 03:08 AM
better than bitching about everything :)

James Steele
03-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Point for Skippord

Rammsteinmad
03-06-2010, 04:21 AM
I said this would happen, but nobody believed me. :p

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:22 AM
lol at the wrestling forum's bullshit

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Spend years complaining about Edge/Jericho not being in Wrestlemania main events, and when they are it's not good enough.

What's next? Complaining about HHH not being in the main event despite bitching for years and years that he always is?
Oh wait, that's already going on on here.

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:25 AM
I want new faces to hold the WWE title....Sheamus sucks.

James Steele
03-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Point for Jeritron

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:44 AM
The crowd's are dead....I don't like what they're chanting

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:44 AM
I wish Bret would come back....they're wasting Bret's return.

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:47 AM
I can't wait until the Monday after Wrestlemania...

Regardless of the outcome of Edge/Jericho it should be funny.
Edge wins: "Jericho is being misused. He's a jobber to the stars"
Jericho wins: "What was the point of Edge winning the Rumble? What a waste"

Juan
03-06-2010, 04:51 AM

that's TPWW for ya

DaVe
03-06-2010, 04:53 AM
lol

its true; good thread

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Can't wait for the "I miss Sheamus" threads. Or "Why did they depush Sheamus?" in a few months if and when they finally get their way

RGWhat316
03-06-2010, 05:09 AM
If this is the worst that Edge does as a face, I am fine with it. At least they didn't "John Morrison" him, and just be a happy, smily babyface. He still has his "edge" so to speak.

Kane Knight
03-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Even outside of the 'spear' thing, he used a dated joke from Happy Gilmore and accused the Big Show of having bad breath. Come on.

So...He's exactly the same...

Sixx
03-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Anxiously waiting for Cena to start "Attitude Adjustment" chant.

VSG
03-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd rather hear "spear" chants than the stupid "WHAT?" chants, or even worse, no reaction at all.

Seconded!

Loose Cannon
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
GOLDBERG GOLDBERG GOLDBERG GOLDBERG

erickman
03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
yea he used the spear too so edge is a goldberg rip off

ace3025
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
The thing is that after seeing someone the size of say Goldberg doing the spear, like him or not, Edge's spear just doesnt seem to have the "pop" to it. I like Edge and love Jericho and Im sure it will be a great fight but...come on......"Spear spear spear" is all they got?

blak23
03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
well spear is easier to chant than edgecution or edgecator

blak23
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
and also edge used to do a great spear back in the day, or maybe it was the sell job of the people he was spearing. well anyway i don't really agree with the whole storyline i don't think the title should be in it at all personally

RVDmark
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
1) Edge reeks of awesomeness

2) Stop being whiney faggots about it (see point 1)

Stickman
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I've never liked Edge's spear.

I've never liked Edge.

Boondock Saint
03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Chant is forced and lame as hell but aside from that I am fine with the feud so far.

thedamndest
03-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I didn't like it because it sounded like a rip-off of "GORE! GORE! GORE!" But I think they're still figuring out how to have face Edge keep his edge, so to speak, so it's not terrible.

Hope Jericho gets one over on him soon though, like some in this thread have mentioned.

VSG
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Edge never had anything more concrete as a finisher, unless you count the impaler DDT. So cant really blame the guy for hyping it up.

thedamndest
03-06-2010, 04:05 PM
The Downward Spiral

Mr. Pierre
03-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Why isn't the focal point of this feud the fact that Jericho/Edge used to be Tag Champs, Jericho mocked Edge when he was injured, found a new (or better) partner, and was highly successful w/o Edge? The "spear" story is just ass.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Why isn't the focal point of this feud the fact that Jericho/Edge used to be Tag Champs, Jericho mocked Edge when he was injured, found a new (or better) partner, and was highly successful w/o Edge? The "spear" story is just ass.

Precisely. The feud was already built in. All they had to do was add water.

The Show Off
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Spend years complaining about Edge/Jericho not being in Wrestlemania main events, and when they are it's not good enough.

What's next? Complaining about HHH not being in the main event despite bitching for years and years that he always is?
Oh wait, that's already going on on here.

I want new faces to hold the WWE title....Sheamus sucks.

The crowd's are dead....I don't like what they're chanting

I wish Bret would come back....they're wasting Bret's return.

These things happen and such seems the whims of the wrestling fan masses. But to be fair to those people that bitch you'd have to know for sure that the same people that wanted Bret back bitch about him being misused. Or the same people that bitch about no new champions bitch about Shemus. I'm not saying these aren't the same people, I'm just saying for your point about them being fickle you it has to be the same people saying one thing and then saying the other...

For the record I love face Edge as well as heel Edge.

VSG
03-06-2010, 05:46 PM
The Downward Spiral

For about an year (1999) I believe.. Actually impressed you remember!

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Come to think of it, I've never liked face Edge.

ron the dial
03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
this is heel edge to me. i hate the shit out of him so much right now. just can't even stand to hear his voice. terrible. i never wanted face edge, and i sure as hell don't want him now.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
wah wah fucking wah

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Come to think of it, I've never liked face Edge.

Hold on, there was that one time when he told X-Pac that 1998 was sick of him. That was pretty good.

ron the dial
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM
wah wah fucking wah
oh i guess it's not ok to dislike things. i'll keep that in mind.

Snowden
03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
You guys all do realize that its, you know, ok to switch opinions on something once it plays out, right? I was perfectly fine with Edge as a face up until these last couple of weeks, until the pimped chant and the way they've booked the feud. Yes, if its booked differently in the upcoming weeks, maybe I'll change my view on the matter.

Until then, things are still open to discussion. I agree, reserve full judgment until the end of the feud...and I'll let it play out. But if you can't talk about the angle in the middle of the angle, then you may as well cease discussion on 90% of the topics until WM.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
He's right, you know.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
oh i guess it's not ok to dislike things. i'll keep that in mind.

lol I didnt mean it as a personal attack.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Well you certainly haven't said anything insightful, Newstead. :mad:

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I think wrestling fans jump on and off the bandwagon way too quick. The least you can do is see how it all pans out before you start whining.

ron the dial
03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
unless edge stops cutting promos like his opening one last night, there is no need to see how this will pan out. while he may still bring the goods in the ring, i'm already sick of his new promos. boring and tired and made for children and simpletons. "wait, did you say something about eating pieces of crap for breakfast?" UGH. yes, he may not write it. but that's not the point. this is an attack on his new character, not the man himself.

Juan
03-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I love Edge. Call me a simpleton.

Snowden
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM

I love him too...I think he's one of the best workers on the stick and in the ring that the WWE has. And, to be fair, I'm sure if given a few weeks of good material, all of what I've said could be wiped away. Just don't like the most current direction, is all.

The Show Off
03-06-2010, 08:39 PM
He's right, you know.

Homer: Shut up! Shut up! Stop it! Stop it. I can't take this any more. I can't let that brave man out there die alone. I'm surprised and disgusted by all of you -- especially his children. I'm going out there!
[goes out, slams door behind him]
[pops his head back in]
It was a baby ox.

Moe: He's right, you know.

Skinner: [surprised] About the ox?

Moe: About everything, dammit. Hey Homer, wait up. I want to die too.

Juan
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I just don't see the sense in dooming his current character when it's only been like, what, 2 weeks?

DAMN iNATOR
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Edge never had anything more concrete as a finisher, unless you count the impaler DDT. So cant really blame the guy for hyping it up.

He still uses the Impaler DDT (a.k.a., the Edgecution) somewhat regularly in his matches. Sure, the spear is his bread and butter, but he hasn't completely ditched the DDT to my knowledge.

I also sorta wish he'd use some of his older moves, such as the Edge-O-Matic and the Edgecator (his submission maneuver from several years back), and I agree with Thedric about the whole "SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!" thing sounding like a complete rip-off of the "GORE! GORE! GORE!" line the commentators would often make use of whenever Rhyno nailed the Gore.

ron the dial
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
and it has been 2 weeks of shit. i'm not going to stop watching because of it, and obviously i'm not writing off the possibility that it can get better. but if this is what it's going to amount to then what the fuck. clearly this is the direction they are headed with him.

ron the dial
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
this is a completely ridiculous statement, and you know it isn't what i meant. i love edge, too. just not this version.

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I just don't see the sense in dooming his current character when it's only been like, what, 2 weeks?

I don't really see anybody dooming him as much as saying that he is currently annoying.

VSG
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
He still uses the Impaler DDT (a.k.a., the Edgecution) somewhat regularly in his matches. Sure, the spear is his bread and butter, but he hasn't completely ditched the DDT to my knowledge.

I also sorta wish he'd use some of his older moves, such as the Edge-O-Matic and the Edgecator (his submission maneuver from several years back), and I agree with Thedric about the whole "SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!" thing sounding like a complete rip-off of the "GORE! GORE! GORE!" line the commentators would often make use of whenever Rhyno nailed the Gore.

I vaguely remember the spear being called "Edge-Head" early in his career. When did he stop calling it so? Oh and he also had an "Edge-O-Matic" which wikipedia calls the regular sit out rear mat slam.

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 11:30 PM
when the bell rings it's not going to matter.

But I must say that I don't see the real problem here at all. I don't even think his character is all too different other than the fact that he doesn't use heel tactics.
He doesn't kiss the crowds ass or play the squeaky clean face at all so far. He still will even go after faces.
It's just a matter of crowd orientation, but I think it's pretty safe to say that heels are the internet's babyfaces. We see it all the time. Batista's recent heel turn has gone over huge. I'm way into it though, so I should talk.
But we see it with Punk and Miz and everyone else, and now face Edge is on the hot seat when he used to be felated.

As for the overall disagreement in this thread...I think it's fine to change opinions. I do it all the time. It just seems like TPWW, and the internet on the whole, loves to complain and bitch about things to the extent of huge contradictions. Things seem to get blasted, and when they're the opposite way they get blasted. It gets tiring.

Jeritron
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
P.S. Punk and Miz are among my favorite things about wrestling right now, so again, I am a mark for heels.
Still, I think it's safe to say this trend is heavy in the "IWC"

Anybody Thrilla
03-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd agree. The only proper face I really find myself getting behind is Christian at the moment.

McLegend
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
First off I don't understand how people like this "Spear Spear spear" nonsense. No one would be supporting if Cena did it.

Then I don't understand how people can say "People are jumping off bandwagons and are being fickle" when it is in fact legit terrible.

Like really I'm allowed to be critical of this?

DAMN iNATOR
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
I vaguely remember the spear being called "Edge-Head" early in his career. When did he stop calling it so? Oh and he also had an "Edge-O-Matic" which wikipedia calls the regular sit out rear mat slam.

LOL, that's definitely some interesting description, but it sounds about right...he basically would slam the guy down by his neck, and most often times would turn it into what J.R. would describe as a "pinning predicament", by hooking one of the guy's legs, usually his left for some reason.

VSG
03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Ah yes I remember that, never heard it called anything else from "Neck slam into a pinning combination" though!

Londoner
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
It is something that is annoyingly making me turn the channel when edge is on atm, the promo's are just fucking terrible and need to be so much better for a feud like this.

Kane Knight
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
You guys all do realize that its, you know, ok to switch opinions on something once it plays out, right? I was perfectly fine with Edge as a face up until these last couple of weeks, until the pimped chant and the way they've booked the feud. Yes, if its booked differently in the upcoming weeks, maybe I'll change my view on the matter.

Until then, things are still open to discussion. I agree, reserve full judgment until the end of the feud...and I'll let it play out. But if you can't talk about the angle in the middle of the angle, then you may as well cease discussion on 90% of the topics until WM.

The people who bitch about changing opinions just need something to bitch about. Don't worry. They can rarely handle the nuances of not liking something or hating something 100%, let alone this.

I think wrestling fans jump on and off the bandwagon way too quick. The least you can do is see how it all pans out before you start whining.

Agree with the first sentence, not the second. The idea of evolving opinions as the progression of something itself evolves is not wrong. Still, the IWC tends to fall in and out of love really fast.

First off I don't understand how people like this "Spear Spear spear" nonsense. No one would be supporting if Cena did it.

yeah, but to be fair, it's Cena. Cena could cure cancer, and a good portion of the board would bash him for not curing AIDS instead. Doesn't mean there's not a bit of a double standard, but there is a certain bias there.

On the other hand, maybe that's a good highlight for a double standard. People will apologise for Edge, and crucify Cena.

fortunately, Cena will rise, because he is Jesus. Or at least, that's what WWE TV has told me.

GoneFishing
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I had to mute my TV, after repetitive use of the word "spear".

Snowden
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that heels are the internet's babyfaces. We see it all the time. Batista's recent heel turn has gone over huge. I'm way into it though, so I should talk.
But we see it with Punk and Miz and everyone else, and now face Edge is on the hot seat when he used to be felated.

As for the overall disagreement in this thread...I think it's fine to change opinions. I do it all the time. It just seems like TPWW, and the internet on the whole, loves to complain and bitch about things to the extent of huge contradictions. Things seem to get blasted, and when they're the opposite way they get blasted. It gets tiring.

I think you have it pretty right...the net does love heels, and hey, I may be just as guilty as the next guy of being a reverse mark. I also think its fair to say that there's some...fair bit of flip flopping involved when it comes to the IWC. Been reading these forums for quite sometime before joining, so I see where you're coming from. I just hope not to fall into said camp.

That being said...still not a fan of Edge's direction ATM.

Jeritron
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
That's more than fine.

Loose Cannon
03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
well most of us loved the Texas Rattlesnake as a babyface and I think that's the model babyface that just gets over with the adult crowd still to this day. Most people want to see a trash talking babyface who rips on his opponent at every opportunity.

Now it obviously depends on the character. Take a guy like Kofi. He fits that fun loving babyface right now and it's acceptable.

With Edge, he would fit the anti-hero character perfectly. He was the Rated R Superstar and now he's the Rated PG Superstar....well at least from everyone's reactions on here. It's hard to buy Edge as a "good" guy all of a sudden. He can still have his Rated R character and be a babyface.

Mr Amazing
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
whatever happen to that modified sharpshooter move he did in like 2005-2006

Swiss Ultimate
03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Juan, when I get back you're going to watch Smackdown re-runs with me so I understand what is going on, right?