PDA

View Full Version : Chairshot to the head? That's a finin'...

Xero
03-17-2010, 09:39 AM
From PWInsider:

A report by the Hartford Courtant revealed that World Wrestling Entertainment officially banned chair shots to the head at the onset of 2010.

The article stemmed from the ongoing political warfare in Connecticut stemming from Linda McMahon's campaign to become Senator. One of McMahon's political rivals, Rob Simmons, who has been taking shots at McMahon's campaign being based around her background running World Wrestling Entertainment, questioned whether McMahon would testify at a local education committee about preventing and treating concussions among High School athletes.

In researching the article, writer Daniela Altimari received the following email from WWE spokesperson Robert Zimmerman:

"In January 2010, WWE amended its Talent Wellness Program, specifically regarding the ImPACT™ Concussion Management Program originally instituted in 2008, eliminating the use of folding chairs or props to "strike" an opponent in the head. Prior to this policy change, The Tables, Ladders and Chairs event in question took place on December 13, 2009. "Incidentally, no performer suffered a concussion during the TLC event."

The company's concussion program features annual examinations of talents as well as evaluations of whether they can return to active competition following head trauma.

The verbiage involving chair shots reads as follows:

*The WWE has eliminated using folding metal chairs to "strike" an opponent in the head.

*The WWE penalizes through fine and/or suspension the following:

-The intentional use of a folding metal chair to "strike" an opponent in the head.

-Any blow to the head that is deemed an INTENTIONAL act.

*The fine and/or suspension will be directed by the EVP of Talent Relations.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:40 AM
What a fucking joke. WWE just gets worse and worse, fuck linda.

Xero
03-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I actually don't have a problem with banning straight chairshots to the head as it CAN be dangerous. However, protected shots should be allowed.

Krimzon7
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
and they are. Protected chairshots are chairshots to the Arm.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
The thing is, whats next to go then? The list could go on and on till the whole point of whats good about wrestling is lost.

The Jayman
03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
the use of the ladder will be next

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:47 AM
especially in a ladder match, thats just too dangerous!

AngryMidjit
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
man,how long until the senate thing is over so linda can lose?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I fucking hate politics.

Xero
03-17-2010, 09:49 AM
man,how long until the senate thing is over so linda can lose?

Oh, this isn't Senate-related. WWE has been afraid of the concussions since Benoit. This was inevitable. It's the wellness policy in general, which was in place before Linda got all political.

Again, I have no problem with things that prolong the wrestlers' lives and careers and prevents injury.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:51 AM
There's alot worse things that can do more damage in wwe than a bloody chair shot to the head.

Xero
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Like?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Watch any match involving stuff like chairs, ladders etc and you get your answer, its just aload of bollocks imo, this decision.

GD
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Souce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double_murder_and_suicide

Former wrestler Christopher Nowinski has said that Benoit may have been suffering from repeated, untreated concussions throughout his wrestling career, ultimately leading to an unstable mental state. Nowinski has been quoted as saying that Benoit "was one of the only guys who would take a chair shot to the back of the head ... which is stupid." Tests were conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, and results showed that "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient." Tests conducted on Benoit's brain tissue have revealed he did in fact suffer from severe chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and had brain damage in all four lobes of the brain and brain stem.These tests revealed similar results to the study of the brains of four retired NFL players who have suffered multiple concussions, sank into depression and harmed themselves or others. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems. Benoit's father suggests that brain damage may have been the leading cause of the double murder-suicide. A statement released by WWE dismissed this idea as "speculative."

Do we really need them?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Any other cases in wrestling other than Benoit, though?

Krimzon7
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
WWE: That report is bullshit.

WWE: Get the kids on the phone, we got some shit to talk about.

Xero
03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Yeah, Nowinski.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Wont somebody please think of the children!

Evil Vito
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
<font color=goldenrod>lol the second Linda announced she was running I knew the only thing her opponents would campaign about was WWE. Not even the fact that she has zero previous political experience.</font>

Kane Knight
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I fucking hate politics.

Yeah! That's the only reason for safer wrestling!

...Linda was running for Senate back when piledrivers and the like we banned, right?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
That isn't the only reason i hate politics, but seeing it mentioned when invovled with wrestling gets to me.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Why are we mad that they are taking steps away from garabage wrestling?

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
That isn't the only reason i hate politics, but seeing it mentioned when invovled with wrestling gets to me.

Well you are a bathering baby.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Well you are a bathering baby.

Cheers.

The Pope
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Breaking news: The WWE has banned the wrestling ring because someone may fall out and get a bruise.

DAMN iNATOR
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
At first, I accidentally misread the article as saying that one of Linda's political rivals was Ron Simmons.

DAMN iNATOR
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Breaking news: The WWE has banned the wrestling ring because someone may fall out and get a bruise.

Or maybe they just had enough of incidents such as this \/:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJbPfPPQAEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJbPfPPQAEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
:shifty:

The Mackem
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
ImPACT™ Concussion Management Program
Damn you Dixie Carter!

Hanso Amore
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Like?

Chokelams, back body drops etc

Anything that causes your head to whiplash back when you land.

The Jayman
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
lol @ Mackem

loopydate
03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
It's about time. Good for WWE for finally getting on board the "let's stop giving our guys brain damage" train. Took them long enough.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Chokelams, back body drops etc

Anything that causes your head to whiplash back when you land.

Stop giving wwe ideas.:foc:

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I love how most people on this board are pro-shortening careers and want the wrestlers to take unnecessary injuries from chair shots and so forth.

6-String King
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
WWE Just went from PG to G

Rollermacka
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh, this isn't Senate-related. WWE has been afraid of the concussions since Benoit. This was inevitable. It's the wellness policy in general, which was in place before Linda got all political.

Again, I have no problem with things that prolong the wrestlers' lives and careers and prevents injury.

So no more chair shots in politics? Aww, I wanted too see Macho Man come out on C-SPAN and hit governor Schwarzenegger from behind with a chair :shifty:

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I love how most people on this board are pro-shortening careers and want the wrestlers to take unnecessary injuries from chair shots and so forth.

Way to miss the point.

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
What's the point? That they're banning moves in the interest of safety? Bastards.

The Mackem
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

You are a monster. This is a good thing.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
What's the point? That they're banning moves in the interest of safety? Bastards.

The point is when does the banning stop? Bit funny they are having all these high risk matches every ppv now yet banning chair shots to the head.

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll say they're inconsistent, but chair shots are an immediate danger. You take an unprotected chair shot to the head and there's a pretty high chance of injury.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
We might aswell just ban wrestling altogether.

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Chairs = wrestling?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Part of it, part of the 'edgy' side of it, anyway.

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
They're not banning chairs, though. Just shots to the head. It's not like they're saying "no more chair use". It's "no more shots to the head".

WWE already bans or limits the more risky moves. If you haven't noticed, even Powerbombs are rarely used anymore outside of finishers.

If they limit the use of moves but not outright ban them, which they seem to be doing, I see no problem with it. It just makes it more special when they're pulled off.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Are ladder shots to the head still ok?

The Franchise
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRm4nhrz0A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRm4nhrz0A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Xero
I'd have to assume all direct shots to the head are banned, just not listed in the policy.

We'll see at MITB for that.

Londoner
lol franchise

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
For the record, I enjoy chair shots as much as the next guy, I just can't blame WWE for wanting to protect their performers, for public image or otherwise.

Jakob Synn
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Wasn't there a big thing a while ago where a young wrestler in TNA or possibly the WWE that took a straight up chair shot to prove how strong he was? Who was it? Like he didn't put his hands up to block it, but just took it straight to the head.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
lol at TL and his slippery slope.

Londoner
lol@ BDC and not bothering to properly reply.

BigDaddyCool
If you can't hit people in the head with metal objects, it just isn't wrestling.[/TL]

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:54 AM
If you can't hit people in the head with metal objects, it just isn't wrestling.[/TL]

Again missing the point. Notice i said 'part of the edgy side of it'?

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
What is their to argue. WWE banned direct chair shots to the head. That is a move towards safety. Sure it might be because Linda is running in politics, but wrestlers don't need to be taking chair shots to the head. This is a good move no matter what.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Wrestling hasn't been edgy since 1998.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Wrestling hasn't been edgy since 1998.

Sure.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
if you want chair shots, go watch CZW.

The Franchise
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Chairs = wrestling?

World Chairs Wrestling
Extreme Chairs Wrestling

I dunno. I don't think this will make much of a difference with the "PG" WWE. I'm sure chair shots weren't going to happen all that much anyway.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
if you want chair shots, go watch CZW.

:lol:

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Seriously, what is the big deal? They haven't banned chairs outright. They have been inconstistant as all hell. But one step at a time is still better than nothing.

Xero
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
To be fair chair shots are rare at it is.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Seriously, what is the big deal? They haven't banned chairs outright. They have been inconstistant as all hell. But one step at a time is still better than nothing.

Go and read the thread properly instead of asking whats already been answered.

Xero
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
You've dodged the "they haven't banned chairs outright" comment twice now.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I did read the thread, and your arguments are full of logical fallacies. So I decided to make fun of you instead of trying to have a proper debate with you because you aren't having proper debate with other people.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
You've dodged the "they haven't banned chairs outright" comment twice now.

Not dodged anything, just accepted that.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
They haven't you stupid douche. Don't get all high and might about me not arguing right when you aren't either.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
They haven't you stupid douche. Don't get all high and might about me not arguing right when you aren't either.

what?

BDC you need to learn to read my posts properly before replying in future.

Nicky Fives
03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous..... it was only the guys that needed to get over that took chair shots to the head..... Guys like Rock, HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Hogan never took shots directly to the head, ever.....

The Franchise
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous..... it was only the guys that needed to get over that took chair shots to the head..... Guys like Rock, HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Hogan never took shots directly to the head, ever.....

Please refer to post 46

Jordan
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Safety first, this isn't UFC you know.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
what?

BDC you need to learn to read my posts properly before replying in future.

For the last time, I have read your posts. You are using a slippery slope argument, ducking the facts, and the telling me I don't know how to read. You have yet to address legitmate comments. You ignorant fucktard.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
For the last time, I have read your posts. You are using a slippery slope argument, ducking the facts, and the telling me I don't know how to read. You have yet to address legitmate comments. You ignorant fucktard.

Funny you say i'm not debating properly yet look what you've contributed so far eh?

As i said, not dodged anything, explained my point. I was discussing chair shots to the head, not all chair shots. How long before all chair shots are banned to though?

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Funny you say i'm not debating properly yet look what you've contributed so far eh?

As i said, not dodged anything, explained my point. I was discussing chair shots to the head, not all chair shots. How long before all chair shots are banned to though?

THAT IS THE FUCKING SLIPPERLY SLOPE ARGUMENT YOU DUMB FUCKER.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
THAT IS THE FUCKING SLIPPERLY SLOPE ARGUMENT YOU DUMB FUCKER.

oh do shut up you whining prick

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
That's really all you have because you been exposed? It doesn't matter how long till the outlaw chairshots. It is wrestling, not garabage fighting.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
That's really all you have because you been exposed? It doesn't matter how long till the outlaw chairshots. It is wrestling, not garabage fighting.

If you check one of my posts recently you'll see what my favourite aspects of wrestling are, chair shots wasn't one of them, i'm just making my feelings known about this subject, sorry you can't accept that, but that's your problem.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah it is my problem that you keep changing you position.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I have changed nothing, tell me what you mean by that.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Now you are just trying to keep arguing till you win something. I gotcha. I think it is time for you to get your juice box and take a nap.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
ahahahahaha, you're such a troll. Wont even tell me what i've changed position on, ffs get a life.

Gerard
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
So this is hapenning because linda wants to get into politics. And if she hadn't been more than likely it would have never been brought up. Amazing how the wrestlers welfare is a concern when it a mcmahon wants to get their foot into something else.

Xero
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
It's been an issue for years, with Nowinski bringing it to light especially and pushing it to WWE. I think it would have happened either way, maybe it was just pushed in a little early.

Volare
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Just think if The Rock came back and guest hosted RAW. There would be no more "turn that sum-bitch sideways, ans stick it straight up your candy ass!" No more talking about "pie" (well maybe) But pretty much Rock is gonna be cut down to nothing, at least without his origional punch lines.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM

You're a knob.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM

The thing is, whats next to go then? The list could go on and on till the whole point of whats good about wrestling is lost.

especially in a ladder match, thats just too dangerous!

I fucking hate politics.

There's alot worse things that can do more damage in wwe than a bloody chair shot to the head.

Watch any match involving stuff like chairs, ladders etc and you get your answer, its just aload of bollocks imo, this decision.

Wont somebody please think of the children!

The point is when does the banning stop? Bit funny they are having all these high risk matches every ppv now yet banning chair shots to the head.

We might aswell just ban wrestling altogether.

Part of it, part of the 'edgy' side of it, anyway.

Not dodged anything, just accepted that.

If you check one of my posts recently you'll see what my favourite aspects of wrestling are, chair shots wasn't one of them, i'm just making my feelings known about this subject, sorry you can't accept that, but that's your problem.

I have changed nothing, tell me what you mean by that.

ahahahahaha, you're such a troll. Wont even tell me what i've changed position on, ffs get a life.

You never explained your point. You keep dodging. You go from "chair shots never hurt annoy" to "when will the banning of dangerous moves stop" to "I never really like chair shots in the first place, but I don't think they should get rid of them."

Gerard
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
It's been an issue for years, with Nowinski bringing it to light especially and pushing it to WWE. I think it would have happened either way, maybe it was just pushed in a little early.

Ive read about the Nowinski thing and the report on benoit, last i read though wwe had yet to see any evidence that benoits brain dmage was anywhere as severe as the tests had made out. if it was as bad as the quote below states you'd think it would have got more coverage on the news. Then again the news was riding the "roid rage" bandwagon for all it was worth at the time.

Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Never said i didn't like them just they weren't my favourite aspects, but ofcourse like anyone else i enjoy that side of it too. I'm just abit worried wwe will go too 'safe' and ban more things in future.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Never said i didn't like them just they weren't my favourite aspects, but ofcourse like anyone else i enjoy that side of it too. I'm just abit worried wwe will go too 'safe' and ban more things in future.

Yeah, I would hate for the wrestler's average life span to go from 35 to 50, that would be awful.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
You wanted my opinion, you got it. Now you're just trying to provoke an argument.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, like you weren't doing that to start with.

Favre4Ever
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
so no DDT's?

McLegend
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I hate chairshots to the head. I'm glad it's banned.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, like you weren't doing that to start with.

When was i doing that? I was merely making fun of the decision, never personally targetted anyone for an argument like you have.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Do I need to quote all your posts again?

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Whatever, its clear you've just misinterpreted my posting style/what i was doing.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
What? There is another way to interprete how you were being a rude asshole that is more concerned about a cheap thrill of watching someone get hit in the head than the health and welfare of wrestlers/preformers.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
What? There is another way to interprete how you were being a rude asshole that is more concerned about a cheap thrill of watching someone get hit in the head than the health and welfare of wrestlers/preformers.

lol, so its wrong now to enjoy someone being hit with something in wrestling? So in the MITB match, is everyone meant to not enjoy any 'risky' moves because that would mean they're a 'rude asshole'?

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
There you go with that slippery slope crap again.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Really can't be bothered with people like you. Wont in future.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
You can't be bother with people who don't let you argue unfairly and make you stick to real points instead of incidentals? Well you are dumb, so I can see why.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
You can't be bother with people who don't let you argue unfairly and make you stick to real points instead of incidentals? Well you are dumb, so I can see why.

I wasn't 'arguing unfairly', just cause you disagree with something doesn't make it an 'unreal point'. Anyway, i'm done with you. :)

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
For someone who has been done with me 5 posts ago, you certainally seem to keep coming back.

Testicle
03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
My whole problem with the banning of moves / blood / chair shots is that the WWE continues to book matches that will normally include these things.

They book ladders matches and expect no one to bleed, they book chair matches (look it up) but now you can't hit your oponent in the head.

If you are going to go the 'PG' route, then DON'T FUCKING BOOK GIMMICK MATCHES.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
My whole problem with the banning of moves / blood / chair shots is that the WWE continues to book matches that will normally include these things.

They book ladders matches and expect no one to bleed, they book chair matches (look it up) but now you can't hit your oponent in the head.

If you are going to go the 'PG' route, then DON'T FUCKING BOOK GIMMICK MATCHES.

Wow, someone who understood the point.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
You never made that point.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
You never made that point.

Didn't i say 'bit funny they're banning chair shots to the head yet having high risk matches every ppv now'.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
If you did, it was no where near as clear.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Like i said, you misinterpreted my posting style.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
What, of being an inconstant tool? You can't even keep to your pledge of never talking to me. I think you just enjoy arguing. Lord knows I do.

Volare
03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Bye bye to this.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejpBMwSQxm8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejpBMwSQxm8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Londoner
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
If you did, it was no where near as clear.

Nevermind can't find the post, thought i sent it. Those words i said are what i would've posted anyhow. Lets just agree to disagree here cause i am not trying to provoke anything. Insult me all you wish, but i've made myself as clear as i can.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm fine with that.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
That fine with that statement was about the Lesnar video.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Nevermind can't find the post, thought i sent it. Those words i said are what i would've posted anyhow. Lets just agree to disagree here cause i am not trying to provoke anything. Insult me all you wish, but i've made myself as clear as i can.

If you just said that to begin with I wouldn't have had a problem. If you notice I'm agreeing with you in the TNA needs time thread.

El Fangel
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Hold on, wrestling banned headshots

before hockey....

I didnt see that coming.

NoRoolz
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Chairshots to the head being gone is understandable, bit of a shame and I can't see the odd one being too dangerous.

As long as chairs aren't altogether banned it's ok with me.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Chairshots to the head being gone is understandable, bit of a shame and I can't see the odd one being too dangerous.

As long as chairs aren't altogether banned it's ok with me.

Yeah, i'lld be ok with this sort of thinking.

NoRoolz
03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Saying that, the 'safety' thing has to stop somewhere. They'll be wrestling on trampolines soon enough.

"It ain't ballet.."

The Franchise
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Didn't excessive chair shots to the head contribute to Benoit's insanity?

NoRoolz
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Apparently so. Well, blows to the head anyway.

The Jayman
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
excessive head trauma

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
That flying head butt didn't help none either.

jskinnyg
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I actually don't have a problem with banning straight chairshots to the head as it CAN be dangerous. However, protected shots should be allowed.

Bang Bang...

The Jayman
03-17-2010, 02:40 PM
it makes sense now when a couple of weeks ago on RAW when Batista was blasting Cena with that chair he never hit him in the head with it

owenbrown
03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
so the MITB ladder or any ladder match will next be a match where there will be no ladders just guys scrambling for the briefcase/belt at eye level and the match will last about 30 seconds?

KIRA
03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
it makes sense now when a couple of weeks ago on RAW when Batista was blasting Cena with that chair he never hit him in the head with it

I was just thinking about that. I'm cool with these fines personally chair shots are awesome yes but my thinking has always been "you're supposed to put your hands up" and as a kid I when that didn't happen I thought it was dumb, sure it increases the realism but the payoff at the expense of a performers health is too steep a price. As far as Beniot goes he was by and large one of my favorites still is actually the circumstances of his death and reading about the research done after had me hoping the WWE would start taking the safety of its performers a lot more seriously. I don't care if it was Lindas political ambitions or the fact that the media was breathing down the WWE's throat after so many wrestlers deaths I'm glad the company is being responsible for its workers.

Chavo Classic
03-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Banning the chairshot to the head outright and issuing fines anyone foul of the rule is a step too far. The fine is unnecessary - the wrestlers should be reminded simply not to use them. A more friendly approach would simply be to restrict their use, but allow them for major spots or storyline developments just as the piledriver/tombstone is now.

Take the example of the Undertaker, who until around 1999 used his tombstone every other week. Now that it has been restricted, whenever it is brought out, it's a key moment - such as during last week's Smackdown when it was used along with the chokeslam and the (even rarer) Last-Ride to send a message to HBK.

Londoner
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Banning the chairshot to the head outright and issuing fines anyone foul of the rule is a step too far. The fine is unnecessary - the wrestlers should be reminded simply not to use them. A more friendly approach would simply be to restrict their use, but allow them for major spots or storyline developments just as the piledriver/tombstone is now.

Take the example of the Undertaker, who until around 1999 used his tombstone every other week. Now that it has been restricted, whenever it is brought out, it's a key moment - such as during last week's Smackdown when it was used along with the chokeslam and the (even rarer) Last-Ride to send a message to HBK.

Well said.

Vastardikai
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
There is no point to unprotected chairshots to the head:

1. You can hit a guy in the back of the shoulder and with a good sell, it looks like it's to the head.
2. You can hit the ground next to their head at the right angle, it looks like it's to the head.
3. You can hit the guy who brought his arm up to protect his head, it looks like it's to the head.

You can make it look like your caving his head in with a chair without, you know, ACTUALLY CAVING their head in with a chair.

dronepool
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
This is fucking lame. :eek: A chair shot to the back just doesn't seem as devastating. They shouldn't out right ban it, it should be allowed during a special occasion or so.

Chavo Classic
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Banning the chairshot to the head outright and issuing fines anyone foul of the rule is a step too far. The fine is unnecessary - the wrestlers should be reminded simply not to use them.

And before anyone picks apart my point, I understand that this move is for appearances only in order for Linda to appear more credible in politics. However, the public will always have preconceptions of wrestling being trashy and violent. No matter how much Linda tweeks the WWE's product, that stigma will remain.

The only hope she has is to challenge and convince the whole industry to change, and that's just not going to happen.

KIRA
03-17-2010, 03:57 PM
There is no point to unprotected chairshots to the head:

1. You can hit a guy in the back of the shoulder and with a good sell, it looks like it's to the head.
2. You can hit the ground next to their head at the right angle, it looks like it's to the head.
3. You can hit the guy who brought his arm up to protect his head, it looks like it's to the head.

You can make it look like your caving his head in with a chair without, you know, ACTUALLY CAVING their head in with a chair.

EXACTLY:y:

Chavo Classic
03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
This is fucking lame. :eek: A chair shot to the back just doesn't seem as devastating. They shouldn't out right ban it, it should be allowed during a special occasion or so.

I don't think that matters. All Linda really wants to do is say, when questionned about her background in "Sports Entertainment", is "the WWE hasn't allowed our entertainers to smash steel folding chairs over another's head for 16 months now", but the truth is that it still won't matter because wrestling will always be looked-down upon as a hick past-time.

The only people who will notice will be the fans and those involved in the industry, and generally the ven-diagram that is life rarely has 'wrestling fan' and 'potential voter' overlapping (and even if it did, she might have lost herself a few votes with this move anyhow)

SOCCER LEGS
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
well if it's been banned for 16 months and no one noticed until she came out and said it, what does that say about it?

it says that they weren't necessary to begin with, and an unnecessary health hazard to wrestlers.

Innovator
03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Finin' the school canoe, oh you bet thats a finin'

addy2hotty
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I never realised that chair shots meant so much to people.

Things like the conchairto look great without the need to take a heavy shot. A sustained chair attack to the body seems more debilitating than one to the head anyway. I haven't even noticed them not being used.

As for Benoit, it's too easy to describe him as evil rather than the possibility of having brain damage due to repeated untreated concussions for years and years even being considered.

BigDaddyCool
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
TL is on the meph.

Nicky Fives
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Please refer to post 46

you are kidding right? my grandmother can swing a chair harder than that

FourFifty
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Ya know.... I'm gonna take BDC's side with this, and I'll do it in a way we haven't seen before.

Maybe, not just maybe.... the lack of chair shots to the skull MIGHT increase the longevity... And with less "hardcore" action, we MIGHT see more WRESTLING ON A FUCKING WRESTLING PROGRAM!!!!!

Wrestling fans watch wrestling shows to watch wrestlers wrestle. It's quite simple.

Beth Phoenix Fan
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I hope they don't stop the match to stitch up vince if bret makes him bleed

BillyBonez
03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
WWE should just "Ban all physical contact" between wrestlers and make it a joke show like a live sitcom...at least it will be honest then that they are not about wrestling!

Juan
03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
What is it with people thinking chair shots = wrestling?

Perry Saturn
03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
So how long will it take for a match be just 2 guys enter the ring and stand there

Perry Saturn
03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
or put up a safety net

BillyBonez
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
or put up a safety net

I got it.

New WWE, super safe style.

Two guys enter, lets say Cena and Batista. Both with microphones.

Cena : John Cena enters the ring, staring down Batista. John Cena grabs Batista and puts him in a headlock. Batista screams in pain! To be continued..

Batista : Dave Batista uses his strength to get out of the headlock. He throws Cena outside the ring and taunts the fans! To be continued...

WWE Safe Style : All the action, none of the violence.

Providence Peep
03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I fucking hate politics.

poli = many
tics = blood-sucking creatures
politics = many blood-sucking creatures

Damian Rey
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
What is it with people thinking chair shots = wrestling?

I think it has to do with the generation of kids who were introduced to wrestling during the Attitude era. Chairshots were as common as an arm drag back then. It seemed somebody was always getting walloped with a chair every other week. Hell, Mankind v Rock I Quit Match may have set a record for most shots on one match during that era.

But I agree, and FourFifty touched on it as well. Wrestling shows are for fans who want to see wrestlers wrestle. I could give a shit about a head shot with a chair being banned. i watch for the actual atheltic performance and storytelling. While a chair has its special place, it's not essential to a great match.

Kane Knight
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

This likely would have happened eventually even without Linda's political aspirations. They've been progressively stripping the "danger" out of wrestling for quite some time now.

FourFifty
03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pieX_Pd1b9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pieX_Pd1b9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Jeritron
03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. I can never remember seeing a match or event and being disappointed there weren't chairshots.

All that matters are great matches, and great storytelling. This doesn't effect either. It's just not needed. They've pretty much been out of wrestling for years now, and I haven't missed it at all.
It's a prop to attack an opponent with. There are other things that can be done.

The Fugitive
03-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Surprised we're having a discussion about unprotected chair shots to the head and this hasn't been posted yet.

<EMBED height=405 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=500 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/-RFO4U9yFvI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Wishbone
03-18-2010, 12:43 AM
wait so are protected headshots (when the put thier arms up) banned as well?

Droford
03-18-2010, 12:44 AM
I guess Mark Henry had a really good reason why he didn't whack Cena with the Bell the other night on RAW.

Also wondering if this applies to sledgehammer shots...?

The Fugitive
03-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Doubt it. Admittedly, I don't watch much wrestling nowadays, but doesn't Trips go for abdomen shots with Sledgie?

The other two things that make me think 'it'll be okay' is that Trips usually places his hand over the hammer and if he aims for the head, he'll try to hit them with the handle rather than the hammer.

Trips has a pretty good track record with not injuring anyone with it anyway, the only time being with a foam hammer that busted Taker open at 'Mania.

Kane Knight
03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Maybe, not just maybe.... the lack of chair shots to the skull MIGHT increase the longevity... And with less "hardcore" action, we MIGHT see more WRESTLING ON A FUCKING WRESTLING PROGRAM!!!!!

Maybe you'll get a tattoo that represents something other than popcorn philosophy.

Nah, the wrestling's more likely.

I mean, really. Maybe we'll see more wrestling? No. We'll just see more "sports entertainment," while the wrestling moves are further stripped to be safer for their "superstars."

Chair shots are almost completely unrelated to the amount of wrestling in WWE. It not an either/or deal, and hasn't been for ages. We'll see more wrestling only if WWE decides that technical wrestling is somehow a marketable art--Which will happen just after I stop being a snarky misanthrope.

On the other hand, I don't really miss "hardcore" wrestling. I don't really miss blood, either. If there was solid storytelling, compelling characters and good ring work, they could ban all foreign objects and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. what's missing now is the same thing that's been missing for years. banning chair shots won't bring wrestling back to WWE, though.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
lol, so its wrong now to enjoy someone being hit with something in wrestling? So in the MITB match, is everyone meant to not enjoy any 'risky' moves because that would mean they're a 'rude asshole'?

Come on man. You're not being reasonable. The motives of the WWE might not be in the right place, banning the chair shot, but it's protecting their wrestlers regardless, and if you are in the slightest humane the fact, you would enjoy the fact that your favourite wrestler isn't getting fucking blasted in the skull by a steel chair. These guys are people too, they aren't JUST tools of your amusement. The fact that you would complain about them banning chairshots shows how selfish you are.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
And no, banning chairshots will neither make the product better, or worse... it's just going to lessen the amount of untreated concussions these guys get.

Xero
03-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Surprised we're having a discussion about unprotected chair shots to the head and this hasn't been posted yet.

<EMBED height=405 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=500 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/-RFO4U9yFvI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

You guys are acting like we've been getting shots like this. They've already been pretty damn safe with chairshots for probably the last 6 years. This just sets the rule in stone.

Xero
03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Seriously, when was the last unprotected headshot? Gonna guess One Night Stand 1.

tjmidnight420
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
TJ's two cents: Yeah, I'm a miss the vicious chair shots like the ones above. BUT, as also stated above it's safer for the performers. Protected chair shots can look just as real in the right context. The Rock's chair shot could've been protected and still looked just as brutal.

Xero
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
To paraphrase Mike Bucci, what moron is going to stand there (assuming nothing's restraining the arms or they're knocked out) and not put their hands up to at least attempt to block the shot anyway?

tjmidnight420
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
To paraphrase Mike Bucci, what moron is going to stand there (assuming nothing's restraining the arms or they're knocked out) and not put their hands up to at least attempt to block the shot anyway?

This... In the Brock- Hardy Boys video even as soon as he looked up he should've had his hands up.... would've still looked brutal