PDA

View Full Version : Austin vs. Goldberg

Mr. C
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Vince McMahon should’ve paid Goldberg anything he wanted to come in for the Invasion. Goldberg vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin in 2001 would’ve been money in every way possible. To this day, I don’t understand why they didn’t at least do that. What would Austin/Goldberg at SummerSlam drawn as a buyrate? Insanity. If people had faced reality and simply swallowed their pride, the revenue that this angle could’ve generated would’ve made everyone involved a lot of money. If Goldberg only wanted to work one date a week, who cares? Austin vs. Goldberg would’ve provided such a return on investment that it wouldn’t matter. Vince would’ve had to pay out some money for sure, but even if he signed Goldberg to a deal, would that really have drove the company into the ground?

KayfabeMan
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Refer to the part where they blew the ENTIRE 'Invasion' angle - not just Goldberg / Austin.

kareru
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
austin vs goldberg was the dream match of the 90's

it would have drawn a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount especially if it happened during the invasion angle and goldberg and austin were both champions, it quite probably would have been the biggest match of the decade

KayfabeMan
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM
They could've used the whole angle to make matches that would have drawn a fortune - but instead, they refused to let WCW - or ECW - ever gain any steam, and killed off the possible $$$ there. When it's WWF all the way, how can there really be an 'invasion'.

Juan
03-26-2010, 07:05 PM
I feel like the InVasion has been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

Jura
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't think Austin vs Goldberg would been a good match. Would be a great angle and story but the actual match would probably be iffy.

viO
03-26-2010, 07:55 PM
WWE Hall Of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin was recently a guest on The BJ Shea Morning Experience on KISW.com. When asked about the Bill Goldberg comment about wanting one more match against Austin in WWE, "Stone Cold" responded with the following:

"You know that would be fun working with Bill. I’ve always liked Bill and gotten along with him. I haven’t talked to him in quite sometime, he’s a good guy. But no for me, I’m going to leave well enough alone, I rode off into the sunset and my health is good right now. I have another couple of matches left in my body but I won’t choose to exercise those matches."

Austin continued:

"I don’t want to go out there and be 90-95% of what Stone Cold Steve Austin was because I’m not going to sack and do it all, but I could be close, but that’s not good enough and there’s really no point in it. It’s not going to take me any farther in my acting career so it would be all for naught. I love my fans, I love that business, but I want to be remembered for what I was not for what I ended up being."

(Thanks to Steve Migliore and ProWrestling.net for the quote)

Nicky Fives
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
I always liked the Invasion angle.... could it have been better? Most definately..... but if Goldberg entered WWE then, Kurt Angle would never have gotten over as a face, nor would we have gotten some classic Austin/Angle matches from Summerslam & Unforgiven 2001

Savio
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Invasion sucked, They could have made Booker T, RVD, Rhyno, and DDP stars but they threw that away.