PDA

View Full Version : Bret/Vince match - another look

The MAC
03-29-2010, 12:54 PM
yea like all of you I was dissappointed but then I watched the "match" again and you start to realise that this fight was all about Hart beating the shit out of vince in a way that it looks like a shoot.

There wasn't any spots because from bret simply because it was a fight. If you watch it back you will see bret completely stiff vince with a couple of chair shots.

The part where Bret sat down was meant to a cocky gesture from bret as he watched Vince suffer and be humiliated in trying to get up.

I think the Hart family being bought out was a stupid idea and Bret should have veto'ed that idea.

I think that upon the second viewing the match/fight makes more sense tha it did first time around.

CSL
03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I wasn't disappointed at all because I never expected it to be anything resembling anything passable. I'm just glad Bret came back for a while. Him and McMahon could have had a farting contest to 'put things to bed' and I'd still have watched.

Chavo Classic
03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank God they added the Hart Dynasty to the mix. Otherwise it would've been ten minutes of middle to old age people yelling and pushing

redoneja
03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
But, but, Bret Hart was clearly gassed when he sat down in the chair and it was soooo terrible. :|

BigDaddyCool
03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I wasn't disappointed at all because I never expected it to be anything resembling anything passable. I'm just glad Bret came back for a while. Him and McMahon could have had a farting contest to 'put things to bed' and I'd still have watched.

I would watch a farting contest.

Xero
03-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Look at Bret sitting down again. You tell me that he isn't entirely blown up and that he wasn't legitimately resting. I'm not going to sit here and say "well, yeah, he's crippled, not in ring shape, blah blah blah" because it never should have gone long enough for Bret to look like more shit than he already was.

As I've said, the chair beat down and sharpshooter were perfectly acceptable. EVERYTHING before it was a disaster, as was the Hart family involvement.

I was expecting the match to be bad. But not this bad. Again, even as purely an angle, it was shit.

redoneja
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I thought it was good for what it wa supposed to be - Bret beating the shit out of Vince. Having the Hart family involved was pretty interesting, especially from a "smart" standpoint. Alot of the Harts were at odds with each other, as detailed in Bret's book, so I was kinda surprised to see them all together.

The Gold Standard
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I was only disappointed about the amount of time it was. I am a huge Bret fan, but I thought it took time away from matches that needed it, like the Tag Match and Rey/Punk

Xero
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Let's say this is actually Bret's last match in the WWE (God I hope so). Would you rather him be remembered for something that changed wrestling (the screwjob) or him in the ring as a broken down man struggling to stand up straight?

I'd have rather left the legacy of the screwjob intact because at least there he was still going strong as a performer and the screw job match itself was pretty damn good.

Not saying he couldn't come back and do something, but anything more than some guys beating down Vince (say after a tag match with Bret and Vince as managers) and Bret locking in the Sharpshooter never should have been considered.

Damian Rey
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I think there was a good deal of storytelling on Bret's part. Like MAC said, this was supposed to be nothing more than a fight, and it looked that way. Bret dropping elbows was miraculous in and of itself.

I did feel that having the ENTIRE Hart family out there was overkill. I think the Dynasty would've done just fine. The top rope "Hart Attack" spot was great. Bret beating the piss out of McMahon was good.

Yes, Bret used the chair/timeout spot to catch his breath, but kayfave he was taking his time with Vince and savoring his moment.

The match was just too long, and it was over booked with the Harts out there doing nothing but babbling.

Not to mention, outside of his entrance and the sharpshooter spot, the crowd was dead. You would think, even in a one sided clunker like this, they would at the very least appreciate what they were viewing and will Bret on. The crowd irritated me the entire night.

redoneja
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
What the fuck are you on? I've watched the match twice now, when the hell was Bret struggling to stand up? He spent the entire match beating the shit out of Vince but OH NOES he took a seat in a chair for 30 seconds.

redoneja
03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Are you going to fucking complain the next time somebody does a rest hold in order to catch their breath or gather themself?

CSL
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
What the fuck are you on? I've watched the match twice now, when the hell was Bret struggling to stand up? He spent the entire match beating the shit out of Vince but OH NOES he took a seat in a chair for 30 seconds.

The Internet: Blowing things out of proportion since the dawn of The Internet.

Xero
Are you going to fucking complain the next time somebody does a rest hold in order to catch their breath or gather themself?

If they get blown up after five kicks in the corner, fuck yeah I am.

All I'm saying is that Bret doesn't belong in the ring. It's sad when compared to what I remember him as and I'd rather remember Bret, the wrestler, rather than Bret, the stroke victim.

Damian Rey

:lol: I know. It's not like he sat there and huffed and puffed. He seemed pretty relaxed. I'm telling you, it was storytelling but the crap Phoenix crowd had no idea what the fuck that was.

HBPunk
03-29-2010, 01:51 PM
For fuck sake, Bret is 50+ and had a stroke since his last match, his opponent was a 64 year old man who isn't and never was a wrestler. The CROWD killed the match for the most part. Bret sat down to mock Vince, he didn't need to sit sown, fucking end of. The match was expected to be dire, it played out as well as expected. I just hoped Bret wouldn't fall as he put on the sharpshooter and he didnt so it was fine

The MAC
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Bret was not blown up.
it was him savoring the moment. He sat for about 20seconds and watched vince crawl to his feet.

I swear some of you have gone FULL RETARD

Damian Rey
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Bret was not blown up.
it was him savoring the moment. He sat for about 20seconds and watched vince crawl to his feet.

I swear some of you have gone FULL RETARD

:y: It's called storytelling. Look how nonchalant he was about sitting down and waiting. He was savoring the fucking moment.

TheAdamEvansFan
03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I was EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED.. Using weapons n chairs was boring as hell.. They said Bret Hart was conditioning and training for weeks, but what the fuck for? hitting someone with a wrench? lol... or using your family to beat him up.. Real LAME.. Should of had earl hebner come out and do the double cross on VINCE N FLICK HIM OFF ON THE 3RD COUNT or Goldberg come down and do something.. Totally lame match for such a big build... I was waiting for something to occur..

Damian Rey
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I was EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED.. Using weapons n chairs was boring as hell.. They said Bret Hart was conditioning and training for weeks, but what the fuck for? hitting someone with a wrench? lol... or using your family to beat him up.. Real LAME.. Should of had earl hebner come out and do the double cross on VINCE N FLICK HIM OFF ON THE 3RD COUNT or Goldberg come down and do something.. Totally lame match for such a big build... I was waiting for something to occur..

What exactly were you expecting? It's not as if Bret can go out there and hit side russian leg sweeps anymore. The match was itself was fine. The entire Hart family didn't need to be there. And I could argue against using the Hart Dynasty. But since the stip. of no holds barred was added, it was pretty fucking apparent this was going to be a mugging with very little, if any wrestling involved.

I'll tell you what asshole, go grab a steel folding chair, and swing in 13 consecutive times, and tell me, at the very least, you are not remotely winded. He's not swinging a prop made of foil.

wwe2222
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
my problem with it, is that it just ran too long. I understand they wanted to give Bret his WM moment, but it could've been done better.

He also teased the sharpshooter one too many times. By the time he actually did it, i was just sort of like ah, finally.

The MAC
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
the elbows he dropped and punches he threw were just as good as anyone in the WWE. if you don't believe me.. watch it again

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcrayo_bret-hart-vs-vince-mcmahan-wrestlem_sport

Damian Rey
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
the elbows he dropped and punches he threw were just as good as anyone in the WWE. if you don't believe me.. watch it again

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcrayo_bret-hart-vs-vince-mcmahan-wrestlem_sport

Agreed. He moved quite well considering the circumstances. I was hoping for a second rope elbow, but that's just being spoiled.

Rammsteinmad
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Bret's punches still look as good as ever, but the highlight of this match for me was Natalya Neidharts cleavage. :drool:

The Franchise
03-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Bret throws hockey punches. One of the many reasons he is/was/will always be the fucking man.

Innovator
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Some of you should just stop watching, you aren't gonna like anything anyways.

parkmania
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I think they really botched the beginning of the match. Let Vince call down the lumberHarts, then let Vince and Bret go at it for a while - even let Bret get thrown outside and "beat up" a bit by his kinfolk. THEN have Vince gloating about it on the mic when Bret rips the mic out of his hand and announce the double-cross before wailing away.

6-String King
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I wasn't disapointed. I knew that it wasn't going to be anything more then a beat down. Bret had a stroke. He was told he would barely be able to walk by doctors. Let alone step foot in a ring. I knew there wasn't going to be bodyslams, or suplex's, or dropkicks. That's why it was made NO DQ, so it could just be a street fight. Punches, kicks, chairs and crowbars. I thought it was dragged on a little too long but other then that it was what I thought it would be.

Zen v.W.o.
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM

That's all Randy Orton. No fucking offense on that guy.

FourFifty
03-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to complain about the "match" itself. As a segment, however, it was bullshit.
If they would have made it half as long it would have been twice as good. It came to a point where the leangth of the "match" hurt the quality of the segment.

Providence Peep
03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought it was good for what it wa supposed to be - Bret beating the shit out of Vince. Having the Hart family involved was pretty interesting, especially from a "smart" standpoint. Alot of the Harts were at odds with each other, as detailed in Bret's book, so I was kinda surprised to see them all together.

Can someone provide a listing of which Harts were there?
Are Owen's wife and Bret still not on speaking terms?

viO
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree with FourFifty, if they cut the match length in half, it would've been less tiresome, there wasn't enough going on to have it go on as long as it did.

I wasn't exactly dissapointed with the match itself as I was with the lack of crowd interaction, but that affected the entire show, not just that match. I felt if the match would've been shorter and the Sharpshooter had come sooner, the crowd would've been more into it, and it would've had more of a "WrestleMania Moment" feel than it did.

I think I expected a WrestleMania crowd to go insane seeing Bret in a ring again, maybe on the level of Rock/Hogan, maybe that was me expecting too much.

Emperor Smeat
03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
The idea of the match served it purpose since everyone wanted to see the Sharpshooter end the match and Vince get a beating. Problem was the slow start to the match where both guys are doing promos just to set up the swerve taking too long.

The crowd got hot for the part they wanted when the Sharpshooter was used but didn't get active for the rest of the match since they probably didn't care or didn't come off good in the ring.

Jeritron
03-29-2010, 10:30 PM
This shit is ridiculous. Yea, it was too long no doubt, but who cares. It was one segment on a 4 hour card.
Like some have said, it was fun just to see Bret return. It was worth it for the discussion and interest alone.

Maybe the Harts should have come down during the match as a suprise, or maybe Vince should have tried more to screw him. Whatever.
I would have loved a Steamboat-esque suprise in the ring, but I wasn't expecting one. I was expecting a beatdown, and a sharpshooter.
The modern crowd didn't do the whole thing any favors. They've been kinda dead for the whole concept.

If the exact thing happened in front of a wild crowd people would be talking about how great it was

CSL
03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Can you please refrain from posting coherent things that make sense, that's not how the TPWW wrestling forum works atm

Mr. Nerfect
03-30-2010, 02:30 AM
I liked this segment enough. Getting The Harts involved made perfect sense. It would be the ultimate way to say "fuck you" to Bret, using his past against him. Who knows how the Hart family actually are behind the scenes, but they all got to share a WrestleMania moment together, which was a nice thing Vince did.

The Hart Dynasty being involved was especially cool. They looked like stars here, and I hope for big things from them. Bret's interactions with Tyson Kidd validated Kidd a lot, in my mind. He's not just a guy who claims to be Bret Hart's protoge anymore; but he's Bret Hart's protoge.

Bret stumbled a bit on the mic, and the beating went on far too long, but it was far from horrible. I mean, ideally, the fans would have been into it a lot more -- but they just wanted to see a Sharpshooter and get out. But from a kayfabe perspective, it also didn't make sense for Bret to not take his time with Vince.

And something funky needed to go down, because Bret can't bump people. And Vince, even if he is an old half-wrestler, is a guy that will no doubt get in the ring again, and when he does people need to give a shit about it. If stroke-victim Bret can beat up Vince, then anyone can, sadly. Bret needed some sort of edge against Vince, and The Harts provided that.

Aguakate
03-30-2010, 02:35 AM
I am convinced that if it wasn't for him having to be cautious about getting hit to the head, Bret could still have a regular match with Taker, HBK, maybe Jericho, etc (Veterans who know what theyre doing and who he would be safe with).

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-30-2010, 02:47 AM
If they get blown up after five kicks in the corner, fuck yeah I am.

All I'm saying is that Bret doesn't belong in the ring. It's sad when compared to what I remember him as and I'd rather remember Bret, the wrestler, rather than Bret, the stroke victim.

Dude you know your wrestling, but when it comes to Bret Hart shit spews from your mouth. You are so biased against him and it is so apparent. You shouldn't even talk in any topic to do with him.

The MAC
03-30-2010, 03:02 AM
How do you guys feel about those rather stiff chair shots especially the first on when vince was standing?

Aguakate
03-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Vince probably said "Let me have it, make it look REAL"...

...just another case of Vince putting himself on the line, to give the fans what they want, to tell a story, and to make the wrestler he has as an opponent look good.

...Vince is a great owner, he REALLY goes OUT THERE and does whatever he needs to do to make things work, even if it means putting his own body on the line.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Vince probably said "Let me have it, make it look REAL"...

...just another case of Vince putting himself on the line, to give the fans what they want, to tell a story, and to make the wrestler he has as an opponent look good.

...Vince is a great owner, he REALLY goes OUT THERE and does whatever he needs to do to make things work, even if it means putting his own body on the line.

Mr. Nerfect
03-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Bret was not about to hold back on Vince, and Vince was not about to let any segment he was in be ruined by shitty chair shots or run under ten minutes.

FourFifty
03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree with FourFifty

So do I :shifty:

thedamndest
03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
The whole thing was overkill. You need your entire family, a crowbar, and a chair to beat a 60+ year old man for a grudge you haven't let go for over a decade? I'm kind of surprised it didn't turn into a double turn.