PDA

View Full Version : HBK and The Rock relationship

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Another question here.

Does anyone know how The Rock and Shawn Michaels' relationship is? I know they weren't the best of friends in the 90s but honestly who other than a select few got along with Michaels back then? Also I remember reading Rock was pretty good friend with Bret Hart so the screwjob made him dislike HBK more.

But HBK has changed a lot since then and the Rock has become a huge superstar since those days. HBK mentioned wrestling the Rock one day in his 'biggest match' during the Hogan feud in 2005 if anyone remembers that interview he did.

Really wanted to see that match. The one match I think HBK should come out of retirement for in the future and it should also be Rock's last match.

But yeah do they get along/hate eachother/dont really care?

Juan
03-31-2010, 03:13 AM
Since I haven't heard anything new in a while, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that The Rock probably still doesn't care for the guy.

The Fraze
03-31-2010, 04:22 AM
I remember the interview vividly. I believe HBK was asked if facing Hogan was his biggest match and he replied, "Until I face The Rock." It totally made my heart jump at the time and I posted it everywhere.

Unfortunately, after that I had heard that The Rock did not have the slightest bit of interest in wrestling HBK due to their relationship back when The Rock first came in and through Shawn's hiatus. I'm sure it could possibly be a bit different now, but I don't think HBK will break his promise, and The Rock knows that the WWE is lame so he'd only show his face if he could rip up the writing for the current product.

Fignuts
03-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah, that's the one match I really wish we could have seen.

The Fraze
03-31-2010, 04:33 AM
The possibilities of the show they could have put on would have been endless. I can't even imagine how epic that match would be. Of course, the addition of a mostly adult male, smark crowd would make it even more intense.

Londoner
03-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Its amazing how great that match would've been and we never got the chance to see it, so strange.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 05:20 AM
I think this match and Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle are my two ultimate dream matches or whatever

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 05:21 AM
But 1994 Bret Hart vs 2004 Bret Hart. Not 2010 :p

Londoner
03-31-2010, 05:24 AM

Was gonna joke and say TNA may take ideas from your post and make the match happen in a couple of years. :shifty:

Jeritron
03-31-2010, 05:41 AM
This match was probably my biggest dream match still in existence. Mostly because it could have happened on a high level.
Bret vs Angle was up there too, but at no point was it conceivable due to Bret's injuries.

Austin vs Hogan would have been wild to see for the whole crowd involvement, and the moment of seeing those two in the same ring.
Still, no matter how great Austin brought it, it never would have been the match Rock vs HBK would have been.

This would have been a great match to headline a Wrestlemania a few years ago.

Now that Shawn's retired, I hope it stays that way. This match, or any other match, couldn't really make me want to see him break his promise on retirement.
It's probably better off left to the imagination anyways, since The Rock is more than likely not going to be able to come off the shelf for 7 years and perform on the level he used to.
And most importantly, Shawn has taken a bow perfectly. It's cool to have a few dream matches left to the imagination/discussion of fans anyways. I think 2001-2003 are living proof that sometimes we shouldn't get everything we want, and more often than not dream situations don't live up

#BROKEN Hasney
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Time machines AND cloning required? Come on now :shifty:

The Fraze
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
It is strange though that The Rock and HBK never once locked up even though they were simultaneously in the company for a few years. With all the random pairings they have nowadays it just makes me wonder.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Remember this?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ws18FjYEo1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ws18FjYEo1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Fraze
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
I do remember. The Rock and HBK sharing the same ring. Pretty crazy moment, Summerslam that year was really awesome despite how upset I was about The Rock leaving.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Both of those matches were so fucking awesome for different reasons. SummerSlam 2002 = best SummerSlam of all time

Angle-Rey was probably the best match in WWE history that was under 10 mins

The Fraze
03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
It was a great show. I remember watching it at Tb1's like it was yesterday.

Jura
04-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Maybe there will be some ring rust but I'm sure if Rock came back he'd have as much or more energy than before. The fucking last match he had with Stone Cold, Steve seemed so tired and worn down but Rock seemed to have more and more energy as the years pressed on. I bet he has more energy in the ring than anyone in the WWE right now. The most electrifying man in sports entertainment.

The Franchise
04-01-2010, 01:20 AM
That is because Austin was worn down and in pain. Remember that he was in the hospital earlier that day.

Jeritron
04-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Rock and HBK shared the ring/mic together a few times during Shawn's run as the heel commissioner of the Corporation

The Fraze
04-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Rock and HBK shared the ring/mic together a few times during Shawn's run as the heel commissioner of the Corporation

Dude the segment when they hand the mic to each other as they cut promos on DX from the stage is so weird to me everytime I watch it because I know how they felt about each other.

Jura
04-01-2010, 02:19 AM
That is because Austin was worn down and in pain. Remember that he was in the hospital earlier that day.

I know he was. I was just stating the obvious but Rock was all over the place. He bleeds energy and charisma. He would bring another level of energy to the match that would make Taker/HBK look like child's play.

The Fraze
04-01-2010, 02:32 AM
I know he was. I was just stating the obvious but Rock was all over the place. He bleeds energy and charisma. He would bring another level of energy to the match that would make Taker/HBK look like child's play.

Totally agree, you and I may get some heat for such an agreement as well because of how highly regarded the HBK/Taker matches are. And they totally were amazing, two of the most entertaining matches you'll see.

But The Rock is in such tremendous shape and he's so smooth in the ring, he could ignite the wwe to levels of excitement that they haven't had in years. Just the sight of him on the tron is electrifying.

The Franchise
04-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Imagine Hollywood Rock vs HBK.......:eek:

The Fraze
04-01-2010, 02:45 AM
With The Rock playing the heel, coming out to his Hollywood theme, and having the show in Texas, damn the atmosphere would be electric and that match would be insane.

Jeritron
04-01-2010, 03:09 AM
I agree that a Rock/HBK match would be amazing, but I don't see how Rock's level of "electricity" would make it better than what HBK/Taker have done.
That's just one aspect of things. Rock brought more of that to pretty much every match he's had, but I don't think any of them are better than HBK/Taker 1 or 2.

The Fraze
04-01-2010, 05:43 AM
It's not his electricity that would make it better. What would make it better to me is that in my opinion, The Rock is a better in ring worker than The Undertaker.

Like I said before, the HBK/Taker matches were unbelievable. And I'm not saying that The Undertaker isn't a good worker by any means. He's still got it for sure. But I believe that The Rock is a better wrestler than Taker, and combined with HBK...holy shit that would be epic.

Jura
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Rock vs Hogan wasn't the most technical match or most incredible wrestling but the energy and dynamic of that match much was and is better than Taker vs HBK 2 at least. I'm not trying to suck his dick or anything but he is able to make the crowd react in an enthusiastic way good or bad, intentionally or non-intentionally.

When today's crowd consists of mostly little kids and swooning girls a great display of wrestling isn't necessarily going to light a fire under their asses.

I'm tired of this guy doing a move, the other guy doing a move, they both are on the ground, they get up and do more moves. Then the best, and maybe only good, point in the match is when they do the finisher. What happened to all the little things in the matches. Like the stare downs. The getting out of the ring in the middle of the match to yell at the fans and the crowd. The leaving the match even if you will lose by disqualification and then the other guy runs down, attacks you from behind and drags your ass all the way back into the ring. The things Eddie did like for example he hit the canvas with the chair, tossed it to Mr. Kennedy and laid down on the ground and when the ref regained consciousness he disqualified Kennedy for "using the chair".

Indifferent Clox
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
All those things got shipped to roh and pwg, plus the technique

The Franchise
04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Rock vs Hogan wasn't the most technical match or most incredible wrestling but the energy and dynamic of that match much was and is better than Taker vs HBK 2 at least. I'm not trying to suck his dick or anything but he is able to make the crowd react in an enthusiastic way good or bad, intentionally or non-intentionally.

When today's crowd consists of mostly little kids and swooning girls a great display of wrestling isn't necessarily going to light a fire under their asses.

I'm tired of this guy doing a move, the other guy doing a move, they both are on the ground, they get up and do more moves. Then the best, and maybe only good, point in the match is when they do the finisher. What happened to all the little things in the matches. Like the stare downs. The getting out of the ring in the middle of the match to yell at the fans and the crowd. The leaving the match even if you will lose by disqualification and then the other guy runs down, attacks you from behind and drags your ass all the way back into the ring. The things Eddie did like for example he hit the canvas with the chair, tossed it to Mr. Kennedy and laid down on the ground and when the ref regained consciousness he disqualified Kennedy for "using the chair".

This is very true, but the funny thing is The Rock/Austin at WrestleMania 17 is partially to blame for the 'kicking out of finishers a lot' being a major reason for what is a good main-event match these days.

The Fraze
04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I would hope that a match of that magnitude, containing those two guys would draw a little older, male crowd. I hate to think that the same lame fans would be a part of that. The crowd does a lot for me when it comes to a match or show. If they're going crazy for everything the match will seem much better. It's the truth.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 07:02 AM
It's not his electricity that would make it better. What would make it better to me is that in my opinion, The Rock is a better in ring worker than The Undertaker.

Like I said before, the HBK/Taker matches were unbelievable. And I'm not saying that The Undertaker isn't a good worker by any means. He's still got it for sure. But I believe that The Rock is a better wrestler than Taker, and combined with HBK...holy shit that would be epic.

I think Rock/HBK would be a very different type of match than Taker/HBK. Both awesome for different reasons. Rock/HBK would probably be closer to a brawl/attitude era style match. I can just see it now, Rock is going for the Peoples Elbow, bounces off the second rope and BAM Sweet Chin Music!

The Fraze
04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Damn all this hype is making me sad that we're never gonna see it.

The Franchise
04-03-2010, 07:42 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42nq6UNp0D4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42nq6UNp0D4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DrA
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
This would have been a great match in 1998. It would seem too contrived if they had the match in 2010. Not everything that can happen in wrestling should happen. Some things should be left to the imagination.

The Fraze
04-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I think The Rock only mentioned Cena for the sake of the show and the people there. He's expressed no interest in working with Cena since then.

Jura
04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah in fact I saw an interview with him and when they mentioned John Cena he acted a little strange.

Indifferent Clox
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
He was acting a little strange in that segment, like he was just bullshitting forthe sake of the fans.

Jakob Synn
04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I Rock/HBK would probably be closer to a brawl/attitude era style match.

Really? I think it would be a more of who can top who kind of match.

The Fraze
04-04-2010, 01:42 AM
I saw one where he was Cena making challenges toward him was mentioned. He said, "That's funny, he's funny." And he immediately walked away from the person interviewing him.

Jura
04-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I saw one where he was Cena making challenges toward him was mentioned. He said, "That's funny, he's funny." And he immediately walked away from the person interviewing him.

That's the one I was referring to. Either he genuinely dislikes Cena or he's tired of hearing about it.

Jeritron
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
It's most likely the latter. He's probably sick and tired of hearing about wrestling in general.

The Fraze
04-04-2010, 01:51 PM
He probably is sick of hearing about it. However, Cena is nowhere near his league too.

Jura
04-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I would love to see The Rock vs Cena just for the reactions. Booo! Yeah! Boo! Yeah! Let's go Cena! Cena sucks! All the girls and kids will root for Cena and then all the guys and older women will be behind the Rock.

Jakob Synn
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure now-a-days it would be mainly cheering for the Rock.

Jura
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I think you underestimate the power of the adolescent teen girls and little kiddies.

Jakob Synn
04-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I think you underestimate the power of the adolescent teen girls and little kiddies.

You're right, I probably do. I will not deny that.

The Fraze
04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I would love to see The Rock vs Cena just for the reactions. Booo! Yeah! Boo! Yeah! Let's go Cena! Cena sucks! All the girls and kids will root for Cena and then all the guys and older women will be behind the Rock.

I could see that happening. Although, there will be some kids that know him from his Disney movies. But I think the majority would be adult men and women.

Damian Rey
04-06-2010, 01:10 AM
I could see that happening. Although, there will be some kids that know him from his Disney movies. But I think the majority would be adult men and women.

Doesn't mean they will cheer him though. My gf's little brother had no idea the Rock was a wrestler until he saw my 3 disc dvd set sitting out before WrestleMania last week. He was like "Dwayne Johnson used to wrestle"? Of course I responded "Who the fuck is Dwayne Johnson?"

The Fraze
04-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Good point

Jeritron
04-06-2010, 05:25 AM
A kid sitting next to me at Raw had no clue Christian used to wrestle in the WWE before he returned, and also had 0 idea of him ever having tagged with Edge.
I know this is only one example, but I think it goes to show how us older fans overestimate how much of the audience knows this stuff. Everyone seems to think Christian should have won MITB and cashed in against Edge, and I would have loved that, but to the majority of the fanbase it probably would have made no more sense than Swagger.
I think 9 years is a longer time in the business than hardcore fans realize.

Random thought.

The Fraze
04-06-2010, 05:33 AM
That's a huge bummer and it shows the dedication of today's fan. I'd like to think that most of us were really interested in what happened before we actually started watching wrestling. For instance, I got into wrestling because of The Rock. But that doesn't mean that my knowledge of wrestling is only from his time on. I went back and watched a lot of old matches and love them. Learning the histories of guys like HBK, Foley, Undertaker, Warrior, Savage, and Bret Hart was something that I wanted to do. What came before is what makes it what it is. It sucks to know that today's casual fan doesn't care about the history.

I guess I can't blame them if they're too young to care.

Jeritron
04-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Well I'm sure there are plenty of people who go back and get into the old stuff. With the internet, and the amazing DVDs they produce, I bet there are even more of them who do that now.

I just think the average wrestling fan doesn't care that much about that stuff, and probably never has. Think about all of the kids who watched wrestling when we were kids. Some of them were diehards, but for most of them it was just something they got into and grew out of. I'm sure it functions similarly today.

The Fraze
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah I was referring to the casual fans. And you're right, I know so many people who ask me, "you still watch that stuff?" I guess that just means it was a trend for them and they grew out of it.

Savio
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Dude the segment when they hand the mic to each other as they cut promos on DX from the stage is so weird to me everytime I watch it because I know how they felt about each other.
link?

The Fraze
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
This is only part of it but it's all I found so far.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-VVGPyK8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jS-VVGPyK8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Fraze
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Really shitty quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mnPEbcUg-0&feature=related

Heyman
04-06-2010, 08:01 PM
HBK also hit SCM on The Rock in 1999 during a match The Rock had with HHH (HBK was the special guest referee).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hnj2_hbk-superkicks-the-rock_sport

Jeritron
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
That was the first Smackdown

The Fraze
04-09-2010, 03:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSp71KeCO7A&playnext_from=TL&videos=JwyxoTGanpQ&feature=grec

Shadrick
03-31-2012, 03:39 AM
And here we are. Rock Vs. Cena. RIP Jeritron.