PDA

View Full Version : Jack Swagger (and Sheamus) is why I miss kayfabe.

Rammsteinmad
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah, we spend so much time fussing about 'who's been built up' etc that we put aside kayfabe and it kinda ruins the show.

10/15 years ago, regardless of pushes, build etc, if Jack Swagger came out and did what he did, I woulda been all like 'WOW! WTF AWESOME!!! Didn't see that coming!!!'.

I know from a company point of view Jack Swagger may not be the best representative of the company, but just saying, he wins the title and now it's all about 'he's not ready', 'oh it's too soon' etc.

I wish I was young again. :(

Xero
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Back in my day, if they gave a belt to someone for four years you watched it and you liked it.

The Jayman
04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah back in 1996 this would have been HUGE

Hanso Amore
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I dont think so.

This would be like if the 1992 Royal Rumble was won by Tugboat and he was the new champ.

Everyone would still be like "WTF"

Mr. JL
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Even Stone Cold Steve Austin has said, 'too soon' to Swagger being World Champion.

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Whatever, at least Swagger was an ECW champion. A damn good one, too.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM
it'd have been nice if they gave him a little steam before money in the bank, but w/e, let's see how it turns out. The guy can work, that's for damned sure.

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
He was more credible than Sheamus before his title win.

erickman
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
he has the ball now lets see if he can run with it

Indifferent Clox
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
The only complaint i have is that morrison hasnt won it yet

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM
The only complaint i have is that morrison hasnt won it yet

Swagger winning it makes Morrison winning it all the more likely, I'm thinking.

Ermaximus
04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
The only complaint i have is that Christian hasn't won it yet.

:y:

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Yeah but Sheamus was still destroying people and not jobbing up until that point, Jack was almost in obscurity.

It's not his fault, it was just bad writing. I think he's good enough in the ring to make it work though.

XL
04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
There must be a lot of guys on the card that are like "WTF, he gets a run with the title before I do!?". Morrison and Christian must be amongst that list.

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, we spend so much time fussing about 'who's been built up' etc that we put aside kayfabe and it kinda ruins the show.

10/15 years ago, regardless of pushes, build etc, if Jack Swagger came out and did what he did, I woulda been all like 'WOW! WTF AWESOME!!! Didn't see that coming!!!'.

I know from a company point of view Jack Swagger may not be the best representative of the company, but just saying, he wins the title and now it's all about 'he's not ready', 'oh it's too soon' etc.

I wish I was young again. :(

So fucking irritating, this shit. Dude, 15 years ago were u on a website reading every bit of wrestling gossip there is, every single day?? If you want your Jack Swagger moments back, then dont read any wrestling website. i switched off the net for a full summer (the summer when CM Punk cashed in on Edge) and i marked out like crazy for punk doing it. so to sum up
IF YOU READ SPOILERS AND DIRT SHEETS, THE MOMENT IS SPOILED!! fuck sake

Jay p fury
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
as a morrison fan since he got cut from tough enough for not knowing what a spinarooney was but then did it better than booker, i have to say jack swagger winning the chip pisses me off...morrison has everything it takes to be the world champ. but, i dont see him being a face as world champ.

the one thing that swagger has is a million dollar smile. i see him as a great champ for that reason alone. he needs to act like he doesnt even care that he's the champ. it should be about the perks of being champ. they should portray him as addicted to the lifestyle of a champion. put photos of him in limos, with random chicks, tweeting about $1000 ice cream sundaes...make him look like a white Diddy. i would buy that.

Haze
04-01-2010, 12:14 PM
So fucking irritating, this shit. Dude, 15 years ago were u on a website reading every bit of wrestling gossip there is, every single day?? If you want your Jack Swagger moments back, then dont read any wrestling website. i switched off the net for a full summer (the summer when CM Punk cashed in on Edge) and i marked out like crazy for punk doing it. so to sum up

I don't think he meant the surprise of him winning it was spoiled the moment. I think he meant that when Swagger and Sheamus won the belt, the knee jerk reaction from the IWC was "he's not ready!".

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think he meant the surprise of him winning it was spoiled the moment. I think he meant that when Swagger and Sheamus won the belt, the knee jerk reaction from the IWC was "he's not ready!".

Oh ok, hes a pro wrestler on a multi million dollar contract so yeah, he's ready. If he fucks it up its his fault but he's ready

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
as a morrison fan since he got cut from tough enough for not knowing what a spinarooney was but then did it better than booker, i have to say jack swagger winning the chip pisses me off...morrison has everything it takes to be the world champ. but, i dont see him being a face as world champ.

the one thing that swagger has is a million dollar smile. i see him as a great champ for that reason alone. he needs to act like he doesnt even care that he's the champ. it should be about the perks of being champ. they should portray him as addicted to the lifestyle of a champion. put photos of him in limos, with random chicks, tweeting about $1000 ice cream sundaes...make him look like a white Diddy. i would buy that.

Morrison never got cut from Tough Enough. He was a co-winner of season three with Matt Cappotelli.

Providence Peep
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Oh ok, hes a pro wrestler on a multi million dollar contract so yeah, he's ready. If he fucks it up its his fault but he's ready

He's ready because you said he is?

Jakob Synn
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I think they put it on him to further the Jericho/Edge feud.

Wolfpack423
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Jack Swagger is one of my favorite guys in the entire company. He is a great technical wrestler and has the skill to eventually become the new Kurt Angle of the company. I am glad he is the champion and felt that he should have gotten the push Sheamus got at the end of last year since you know Sheamus sucks but I am sure most people like Sheamus on here which I'll never understand why the IWC likes him. He had one decent match and that was with HHH at WM26. Swagger has the ability and he is starting to show how charismatic he can be and I think in time he will be a big name. Now lets hope Ziggler's push starts up again. I do like McIntyre though, so I am not complaining that he is IC Champ, the only guy of the new crop I don't like is Sheamus.

The Jayman
04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
what Ermaximus said

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
He's ready because you said he is?

BECAUSE HE IS A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER, MORON!!! He wouldn't be on our screens at all if he wasn't ready. He can wrestle, talk and has had very good matches. Some people are thick as shit

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
and peep is the same guy who believes swagger is black

erickman
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
There must be a lot of guys on the card that are like "WTF, he gets a run with the title before I do!?". Morrison and Christian must be amongst that list.

vince has never been high on christian poor guy will never be more then a midcarder in the wwe, morrison may have a chance.

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Whatever, my raging mancrush justifies it.

And that would make a better argument if it meant something. That's kind of like saying john Morrison has better mic skills than a block of swiss cheese.

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 01:01 PM
BECAUSE HE IS A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER, MORON!!! He wouldn't be on our screens at all if he wasn't ready. He can wrestle, talk and has had very good matches. Some people are thick as shit

If you weren't HBPunk, I'd call you a moron. as it is, it'd just be redundant.

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
If you weren't HBPunk, I'd call you a moron. as it is, it'd just be redundant.

Kinda like your cock huh? xx

Providence Peep
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Kinda like your cock huh? xx

that's the best you can do?

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
that's the best you can do?

Dude its short notice!!:) also im not getting into this internet name calling BS so shussshhh

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
And that would make a better argument if it meant something. That's kind of like saying john Morrison has better mic skills than a block of swiss cheese.

I was referring to his ECW title reign, whereas Sheamus had not won any other title.

Providence Peep
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Dude its short notice!!:) also im not getting into this internet name calling BS so shussshhh

Not getting into internet name calling? You're the one who called me a racist.

redoneja
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
The entire point of the IWC is to dissect everything that happens and then debate whether or not it's good or bad for the business. It's a step beyond just watching the product and either enjoying it or not enjoying.

It's talking about it in such a way that makes the IWC seem like it in itself is a part of the product. Rule #1 of the IWC is that because you've been a wrestling fan for "x" number of years, you know the business so your opinions on what is good and bad, not just in terms of entertainment but in terms of the right business move, is valid. The IWC pretty much fools itself into being "smart" or "insider", which in the end, kinda makes them the biggest marks among wrestling fans.

Jay p fury
04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Morrison never got cut from Tough Enough. He was a co-winner of season three with Matt Cappotelli.

actually the season before that, he was cut at the initial open call...ivory asked him to do a spinaroony and he said what was that? they chewed him out and told him what it was then, he went on and did it b-boy style.

i may be wrong but i remember seeing it. maybe it was the same season but i doubt it. i remember when they came to deliberate, booker was tight that he was trying get into wwe but didnt even know what a spinaroony was and said maybe next year.

Anybody Thrilla
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
That was him?

Rammsteinmad
04-01-2010, 01:26 PM

HBPunk should learn to read threads properly before posting his opinions that nobody cares about.

Rammsteinmad
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Im not getting into this internet name calling BS so shussshhh

You justify this by coming into a thread and insulting everyone? Amazing.

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
You justify this by coming into a thread and insulting everyone? Amazing.

Your opinion is utter shite too

Rammsteinmad
04-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Whatever I don't care fuck off and die.

NoRoolz
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Spoiler warning braah

Londoner
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
At the time that it happened i was like 'wtf', so nothings changed there for me, surprises are good in wrestling but i'm not sure where swagger can go from here.

Rammsteinmad
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Spoiler warning braah

What? You didn't know?

:p

The Jayman
04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Your ass better call somebody

YoungFlyFlashy
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
What? You didn't know?

:p

Your ass better call somebody

:rofl: *DEAD*

HBPunk
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Whatever I don't care fuck off and die.

dude you are 'rammsteinmad'!!! you are either

a) a nazi
b) 9
c) a total fucking idiot

but im guessing you are all three. Jump up your ass hitler boy

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
The entire point of the IWC is to dissect everything that happens and then debate whether or not it's good or bad for the business. It's a step beyond just watching the product and either enjoying it or not enjoying.

It's talking about it in such a way that makes the IWC seem like it in itself is a part of the product. Rule #1 of the IWC is that because you've been a wrestling fan for "x" number of years, you know the business so your opinions on what is good and bad, not just in terms of entertainment but in terms of the right business move, is valid. The IWC pretty much fools itself into being "smart" or "insider", which in the end, kinda makes them the biggest marks among wrestling fans.

Mr. Nerfect
04-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah, gotta agree with redoneja. There are a hundred possible reasons Swagger could be World Heavyweight Champion right now when John Morrison or Christian isn't. We can't really speculate. From an entertainment standpoint, we can criticise -- and it's fun to speculate about what would be better creatively, and even from a business perspective. But we don't know. That's something we have to keep in mind.

What I do know about Jack Swagger:

* Bret Hart is apparently high on him. Now, while Bret probably was only back for his on-screen stuff; I think Bret Hart being high on a dude is a good sign for him. Maybe this happened, and maybe it did not -- but I could imagine someone asking Bret "Hey man, who do you like out of the young guys?" "Jack Swagger's amazing," "Interesting. We'll look into pushing him."

* Swagger recently wrestled Triple H in what was actually a match with some decent time on it. Triple H only wrestles long matches when he wants to -- let's face it. He wanted to against Swagger. Could have been sizing him up as a talent. If he went to Vince and said "Man, Swagger is incredible. He protected me well in the ring, and the crowd were into everything. I think this guy could be someone, Dad," Vince would probably listen.

* John Cena and Jack Swagger have worked together on the house show circuit pretty extensively. In a similar situation to the Swagger/Triple H stuff -- if Cena put in a good review of Swagger's work, Vince would listen.

* Jim Ross and Gerald Brisco apparently discovered him. Brisco would have some pull backstage and JR's opinions on talent are well-respected.

Juan
04-02-2010, 03:56 AM
lol @ people taking Swagger's title win as a snub to guys like Morrison or Christian

Droford
04-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Swagger winning sets up a huge feud with Kurt angle when TNA eventually folds and Angle comes crawling back to Vince.

Mr. Nerfect
04-02-2010, 05:43 AM
lol @ people taking Swagger's title win as a snub to guys like Morrison or Christian

Exactly. It'd be more about Swagger than Christian or Morrison.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 06:47 AM
actually the season before that, he was cut at the initial open call...ivory asked him to do a spinaroony and he said what was that? they chewed him out and told him what it was then, he went on and did it b-boy style.

i may be wrong but i remember seeing it. maybe it was the same season but i doubt it. i remember when they came to deliberate, booker was tight that he was trying get into wwe but didnt even know what a spinaroony was and said maybe next year.

what the fuck is this post