PDA

View Full Version : The New Generation has taken the ball

Loose Cannon
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
**This thread is from April 2010 just in case you think it's new***

I didn't get to watch all of Raw last night because of college basketball, but from what I saw it became really apparent to me that the youngsters have finally taken the ball and they are off an running with it.

I loved that opening segment and just watching it reminded me of the period after Mania 14. The WWE has been pushing Cena and Orton for years, but they've always had the likes of HHH, HBK, Taker, Jericho, Show and even Edge to carry the shows. But to me, last night more then ever the last few years, I saw signs of the WWE finally giving way to the younger stars. With HBK gone, Taker taking time off, Jericho losing to Swagger, Trips putting over Sheamus, Miz getting a chance to run wild and Dibiase getting a big push now, the time has come.

We've been in this transition period since 2002 with the WWE at first bringing in old WCW guys, then pushing young guys, but relying heavily on the veterans to carry things.

I could be dead wrong here, but last night it seemed like they are moving foward with all the young guys and not looking back

Jura
04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
They pretty much have to. Soon there won't be anyone from the past actively wrestling and will be a bunch of new guys. If someone were to have quit watching wrestling 10 years ago and started watching wrestling now they probably will only recognize a handful of wrestlers.

Wrestling can be volatile with the tiring schedule and drugs and other stuff. I don't really expect any new guys to stay longer than several years but if they do that's good and I hope they can make something of themselves like the past superstars did.

El Tigre
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
While I believe we're still a long way from seeing a total change in the regime of WWE, their is a certain sense in the air that things are in fact happening. The starting point for me would have to have been when Sheamus won the title, my thoughts at that moment was that their was finally a crack in the glass ceiling.

Xero
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I consider Edge a part of the new generation.

And how you didn't mention Punk is beyond me. He's at the very least on par with Miz.

But yeah, I think Mania 26 is the date we can look back at a year or so from now and say (if things keep going the way they are) it all began there.

Loose Cannon
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
well I just mentioned the guys from last night. Also, I rarely watch Smackdown, so I forget about those guys sometimes

VSG
04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I consider Edge a part of the new generation.

And how you didn't mention Punk is beyond me. He's at the very least on par with Miz.

But yeah, I think Mania 26 is the date we can look back at a year or so from now and say (if things keep going the way they are) it all began there.

The NEWER new generation era?

Droford
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
CM Punk, the Choice of the New Generation!

Xero
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
The NEWER new generation era?

Well I don't know what we'll call the era. It needs to find its groove. But I'm sure that Mania will signify its start.

Londoner
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
They pretty much have to..

Exactly, i wonder if HBK retiring has made them think they can't fuck around anymore now and have to start rebuilding.

Rammsteinmad
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm sure every year theres this stage where it's like 'they're really starting to push the new, young guys', but in a few months time it'll be back to Orton/Cena/Triple H/Batista etc.

Londoner
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
^ Back then though we didn't have sheamus/swagger becoming world champs!

Xero
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm sure every year theres this stage where it's like 'they're really starting to push the new, young guys', but in a few months time it'll be back to Orton/Cena/Triple H/Batista etc.

Two of those have new, interesting characters. And Hunter's taking a back seat to build up Sheamus.

Things are much better now than in recent years, Cena aside.

blak23
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
maybe tna's move to mondays served a purpose after all

Juan
04-06-2010, 04:37 PM

I love the optimism.

Splaya
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I was gonna make a thread about this same topic. The WWE is now forced to go to the young guns, but it's about time. You can only take HHH so far and with him and Taker both aging, you have to start to push the new generation. Orton, Cena and more closely Edge will be the leaders of this era, with Punk, Swagger, and Kofi coming close behind. Kofi is going to hold a World Title by the end of the year. Remember, the draft is due up at the end of the month and that is further going to shake things up. I would not be suprised (and some people will question this) but with HBK and Flair gone, HHH might finally make the move to SD. I would shift Taker back to RAW when he returns and turn him heel. There are loads of other options as well.

Loose Cannon
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
you were not dead wrong LC.

I was going to make a new thread about how 2010 had the strongest shows and roster since 2001/2002 . But then I remembered posting this at the beginning of last year. So I'll just say what I wanted to in here.

In all honesty, to me, last year was the best year the WWE has put out since 2001/2002

The TV top to bottom was just incredible and I felt the WWE finally turned a corner where they didn't need HHH, Taker, HBK, Y2J or any of those older guys to be featured more often then not. Especially from the summer on, I felt like almost every program or tv segment became important. They still need to work on that tag division, but overall, it's been pretty flawless.

I don't see any real signs of slowing down either. they've built enough guys the past year that should keep these strong shows going for the next few years. good job WWE

Damian Rey
01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I agree. And like you said, so many guys have been established and are on the cusp of elevating that the programming has a chance to keep steady for a few years. Morrison and Ziggler look like they are within months of main eventing consistently.

Now that Barrett is on a less cluttered SmackDown!, a title reign seems immenent. And there are still new faces to be made.

DiBiase needs an overhaul but you know the talent is there. Daniel Bryan is floating around, but his in ring work, especially on PPV, has been second to none. Miz is still growing and evolving. CM Punk has just gotten started with his new direction.

So many good things happening right now. I'm hoping for a stellar Mania season this year. The product as a whole has been so refreshing that the idea of seeing all these newer, refreshing faces and stories at Mania have me excited.

Flash Funk
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with DR, most of the young guys are getting great pushes, but Ted Jr. needs a complete redo