PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities

Zeeboe
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Why would I really want to meet a celebrity? They're as human as me, & they don't need my vote of confidence. They get plenty of support already, & they'd just forget me right away, but probably not before mispronouncing my name several times like Wayne Newton once did when I met him.

We fans worship someone who emanates things we wish we were. In the case of movies, I think for some, it's really the character the actors are playing that we worship & relate to, not the actor themselves. In plenty of cases, fans are disappointed to discover the performer is nothing like the character they like, thus ruining what was probably once their favorite movie because they will forever be reminded of when that celebrity was rude to them whenever they try to watch that movie they enjoyed so much to the point that they just had to meet the actor who played that character.

It'd make more sense to want to meet the screenplay writer who created that character, & are the ones who write out all this deep, profound stuff we love, or the funny things we laugh at in movies.

Or how about the people who work hard to create the amazing sets we love so much in films?

The actors actually have it easy compared to others in the movie business. They say the lines, & get all the glory. I'm not saying acting is easy, but if you're a pro at it, then I imagine it is.

Or if the character you like is a lot like you, & you're wanting to meet someone who is like them, then you've already met them whenever you look at yourself in the mirror because you're probably more like that character then the actor that played what was just a part to them so they could get a paycheck.

In regards of meeting the famous in some cases, you spend hours waiting in a line, sometimes having to spend lots of cash to spend less then a minute talking to your idol, only to have them forget you right away after you leave, & all you'll most likely get is a piece of paper or something that has their signature on it. Think about it: How cool is that....really? You're gonna be dead in one hundred years, so does it really matter?

Celebrities do enough for me by being in a good movies, or singing good songs & pulling off great performances. They keep me from being bored, they feed my dreams by letting me live through the characters, & they can heal me when I'm down. They do a service for me. They entertain me. However, the guy at Burger King who cooks my whoppers for me does a service for me too. He keeps me fed. Doesn't me I want his autograph.

But I get it. Meeting your idols creates a rush, & maybe by being near them it's almost like you're in the movie or music world too for a minute. It's like a high of some sort. I also know there are plenty of nice famous folks, & some that are even willing to play along, & act like the character that the fans remember them for. I'm not saying I would never ask a celebrity for an autograph if the right chance presented itself, & by getting an autograph, it's a reminder of a happy moment for you. It's similar to when you ask people to write in your high school yearbook. Really, I could sit here & analyze a lot of stupid things we humans do, but it wouldn't matter because it's not going away, & most of the "stupid things" we enjoy is good for morale & it makes life more tolerable.

What motivated me to type all this out was this clip -

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrTBbhBopkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrTBbhBopkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't think Kristen Stewart is a snob, but to call someone pathetic, (even if they are) is just rude if you are famous, & that person clearly admires you. But the fan is no better, bugging someone non-stop. I don't think either side was right, but I also don't think either side was wrong either. I'm sure there have been plenty of more extreme cases then that, & that it has happened all the time for years now - The meeting of the crazy fan & the snobby celebrity.

Anyhow, the clip got me thinking how crazy all of us our. Also, for years, I never have & never will understand why some people are so overly obsessed with celebrities, & why the media & some fans like to harass them so much. I look at tabloids too sometimes, & all I see are people being people, & behaving no differently then any other person.

I think it's human nature to want to pry into the lives of others. That's why gossip is everywhere no matter where you go. One thing I've learned in almost thirty years of being on this earth is that everyone likes to talk about everyone else. It makes us forget our own issues, & makes us feel better about ourselves by putting others down.

That's also really why we have movies & TV, & why they are so popular. Rather it is reality TV or scripted TV, we like watching people in a box do some of the exact same stuff we all do on a daily basis, & because for the most part it's all just entertainment & all pretend, the story tellers make it more amazing then what real life is to feed some fantasy we have, & that is why the famous stand out among us little people because their characters get to experience that, & because celebrities play those characters, they're pretty much expected to be entertainers 24/7, & that is why they are followed around, & worshipped in my view, & not allowed to have a private life.

Juan
04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not reading all that, but I thought you were leaving...?

Zeeboe
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm not reading all that, but I thought you were leaving...?

They don't want me to. Yeah, I don't expect many to read the post. I was just going to post it in my blog, but I decided I wanted to see if anyone else who doesn't mind reading would agree.

Juan
04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't mind reading. I just want to read your drivel

Zeeboe
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't mind reading. I just want to read your drivel

How do you know it's drivel? You won't read it.

DrA
04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I like it when others want to meet me, and I try my best to remember everyone that I do meet. I know it makes many peoples' days whenever I sign an autograph for them or take pictures with them for very reasonable prices. I definitely don't want others to think that I am better than them.

dronepool
04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I agree with you. I never cared to meet most them. I mean if I see them on the street and I recognize them and like their work, I'll say oh shit, whats up (whoever they are) and continue. I wouldn't bother going to a signing just to meet someone. I met a few artists at Comic Con and bought a cool print that I got autographed but that's because I was already there for everything- not just them. They were just a bonus.

So yeah, basically I wouldn't put effort into meeting them. I never went to any signings. I don't think I'd ask for a picture unless it's a cool rock star like David Bowie or Marilyn Manson or something but I wouldn't want to annoy them like some star struck fan girl.

Lock Jaw
04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Didn't read that whole thing, but I will say this:

I don't care one iota about "celebrities" or following their lives. Don't follow or pay attention to it at all.

mitch_h
04-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I'll read this later, too distraught over Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey breaking up right now.