PDA

View Full Version : ironic coincidences in wrestling

TNA&USA#1
04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
You know what I mean. When westling storylines become real life drama

Hassan does the terrorist angle that coincides with the London bombings
Vince McMahon explodes and then the Chris Benoit thing happens
The Blue Blazer is supposed to bumble around with his cable and then oafishly fall to the ring turns into well you know

are there others
I bet there are

tjmidnight420
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I got one... A TNA mark coming to TPWW and professing how much better than WWE TNA is, when their ratings are going down since moving to Mondays and involving Hollywood inc.

TNA&USA#1
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm allowed to have an opinion. I can't help how many WWE fanboys exist in the world, but I know good wrestling when I see it. Now please stay on topic or fuck off.

Swiss Ultimate
04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Raven's personal life reflecting his ECW Career at the time, Stevie Richard's lackey persona extending into real life (Raven was paying him to do stuff for him while he was high).

ImpactPlayer365
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
TNA is not good wrestling. It has potential to be. but thats about it right now.

Sixx
04-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Scott "Alco" Hall.

But then again I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or did they use his real life problems as a gimmick.

Perry Saturn
04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Scott "Alco" Hall.

But then again I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or did they use his real life problems as a gimmick.

A lot a bit of both

TNA&USA#1
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
TNA is not good wrestling. It has potential to be. but thats about it right now.

Again, please stay on topic. I don't know why my opinion matters to you all so much. I mean I know I'm a big deal, but come on!

tjmidnight420
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Again, please stay on topic. I don't know why my opinion matters to you all so much. I mean I know I'm a big deal, but come on!

I thought the topic was ironic coincidences in wrestling... That said, I felt I stayed on topic. Big deal? Please. Jr. High kids are never a big deal here.

Perry Saturn
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Wow your conceded to think your opinion matters just like tna

TNA&USA#1
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Obviously it matters enough for you take time out of your busy schedule to bring it up when it's not even relevant to what we're talking about.

Xero
04-11-2010, 04:47 PM
TNA having so much talent yet failing to book them "well".

That's kind of ironic.

Kane Knight
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM

The Blue Blazer is supposed to bumble around with his cable and then oafishly fall to the ring turns into well you know

are there others
I bet there are

Pretty sure TNA debuted on 9-11.

TNA&USA#1
04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
TNA's first show was on June 19, 2002. Unless you mean the debut of Impact! which was on June 4, 2004. Good try though.

Chavo Classic
04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
TNA's first show was on June 19, 2002. Unless you mean the debut of Impact! which was on June 4, 2004. Good try though.

Duh.

Droford
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
You know what I mean. When westling

http://olympia.fortunecity.com/cobb/17/wwf/owenhart7.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1MAkFa7GU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1MAkFa7GU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Im sorry to make you have to watch that again, but..

Xero
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Is it Tazz saying "Orlando... JORDAN" in that theme?

MrSpikeLee
04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
http://olympia.fortunecity.com/cobb/17/wwf/owenhart7.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1MAkFa7GU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1MAkFa7GU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Im sorry to make you have to watch that again, but..

Orlando looks like a damn woman.

MrSpikeLee
04-11-2010, 10:24 PM

are there others
I bet there are

How the fuck is Owen's death Ironic..?

Triple Naitch
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
The thread title is redundant. Coincidences are ironic by definition.

Hanso Amore
04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, its like saying shitty wrestling forum posters

Kane Knight
04-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Ah, I see. You're "special."

owenbrown
04-12-2010, 01:15 AM
to TNA&USA#1....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGz3uyCNZCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGz3uyCNZCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Nerfect
04-12-2010, 03:02 AM
I think people are being way too hard on TNA&USA, for the record. The dude's just trying to discuss something.

TNA&USA#1
04-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Look at how hostile you people are just because my opinion is different from yours. Pathetic.

kareru
04-12-2010, 07:11 AM
many of these are not really ironic.

In July 2000, Bigelow received second degree burns on 40% of his body, while rescuing three children from a burning house near his home. Following the incident, Bigelow spent two months recovering in a hospital losing all of his fire tattoos.

now THAT is irony

AngryMidjit
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
LIEKOMG TNA IS SHIT AND WWE IS AWSUM AND WRESTLING IS REAL ANDTN AIS SHIT AND NEEDS TO LERN TO WRESTLE AND WWE HAS BAD IDEAS AND TNA IS SHIT AND WW E HAS BAD WRESTLING

that is about 80% of all posts

Swiss Ultimate
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Everyone here needs to look up the definition of irony. No, I won't link it.

Also, that story about Bigelow was false.

Kane Knight
04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
LIEKOMG TNA IS SHIT AND WWE IS AWSUM AND WRESTLING IS REAL ANDTN AIS SHIT AND NEEDS TO LERN TO WRESTLE AND WWE HAS BAD IDEAS AND TNA IS SHIT AND WW E HAS BAD WRESTLING

that is about 80% of all posts

...Did you have an anyeurism?

Jura
04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Irony and coincidence are two separate things guy.

Vastardikai
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Tony Schiavone telling fans not to tune into Raw because Foley was gonna win the WWF Title and saying "As if THAT will put butts in the seat."

WWF kicked the shit out of WCW in the ratings that night (more than usual). I think attendance soared after that as well.

Ermaximus
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Everyone here needs to look up the definition of irony. No, I won't link it.

Also, that story about Bigelow was false.

Fine, I'll do it for you DTTS!

i·ro·ny1   /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA
–noun,plural-nies.
1.the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

co·in·ci·dence   /koʊˈɪnsɪdəns/ Show Spelled[koh-in-si-duhns] Show IPA
–noun
1.a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance: Our meeting in Venice was pure coincidence.

Irony and coincidence are two separate things guy.

Thank you!!!

For the record, George Carlin would punch you in the mouth for claiming these things to be "ironic coincidences" were he still alive TNA&USA. Nothing can be both ironic and coincidental. It's not fucking possible.

addy2hotty
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I always thought it a strange coincidence that Vince, Linda, Stephanie and Shane all had the same surname.

Kane Knight
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I always thought it a strange coincidence that Vince, Linda, Stephanie and Shane all had the same surname.
Isn't that ironic?

Vastardikai
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jne9t8sHpUc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jne9t8sHpUc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

C'mon, You knew it was coming...

:shifty:

Lock Jaw
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The ironing is delicious.

NeanderCarl
04-12-2010, 05:02 PM
The definition of irony is Alanis Morrisette releasing a song called Ironic and not knowing what ironic means.

Ermaximus
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
The definition of irony is Alanis Morrisette releasing a song called Ironic and not knowing what ironic means.

:rofl::rofl:

Kane Knight
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
The definition of irony is RAAAAYIAAAAAAIN on your wedding day.

Kane Knight
04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
How ironic. Blind after a life of being able to see.

parkmania
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
The definition of ironic is ALEYALEYALEEYYYAAAAAAAAAAH!

HBPunk
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Its ironic that the biggest wrestlers in their era were all terrible at wrestling,

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
John Cena

Vastardikai
04-13-2010, 02:21 AM
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129141527109735846.jpg

AngryMidjit
04-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Its ironic that the biggest wrestlers in their era were all terrible at wrestling,

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
John Cena

while I have disagreed with 90% of your previous posts, this one I do confirm

DAMN iNATOR
04-13-2010, 04:35 AM

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
John Cena

while I have disagreed with 90% of your previous posts, this one I do confirm

Cena and Hogan I'll give you guys. But seriously, The Rock? He never had a terrible moment in his entire in-ring career.

Kane Knight
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
John Cena
False.

HBPunk
04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
The Rock was so over and had the people's elbow so it masked his awful moveset and his dire overselling of every single move, Cena cant sell, Rock oversells and Hogan wont sell

DAMN iNATOR
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
The Rock was so over and had the people's elbow so it masked his awful moveset and his dire overselling of every single move, Cena cant sell, Rock oversells and Hogan wont sell

Puh-lease. Rock was a natural both in the ring and on the mic. Everything he said or did was pure gold because he had charisma, he developed amazing skills early on in his career in the ring, and not once did I see him "oversell" as you say. And his moveset was far from awful.

Maybe you should check your facts a litte before you post, guy.

HBPunk
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Puh-lease. Rock was a natural both in the ring and on the mic. Everything he said or did was pure gold because he had charisma, he developed amazing skills early on in his career in the ring, and not once did I see him "oversell" as you say. And his moveset was far from awful.

Maybe you should check your facts a litte before you post, guy.

fuck facts, i know what im watching ya arse

tjmidnight420
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I gotta say I agree with DAMN on this one... Rocky had it in a way very few ever have... One other person being HBK, someone who was always known for his amazing ability to sell. Does that mean he oversold everything? Not hardly.

Lock Jaw
04-13-2010, 04:34 PM
not once did I see him "oversell"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDgsbA0zkNI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDgsbA0zkNI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not going against you though. I liked Rock in the ring. Everything except his Sharpshooter, which was painful to watch.

Savio
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
That is not the rock but he was a great wrestler.....(not a technical wrestler mind you)

Jordan
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I disagree, Rocky deserved his initial push, he was really great and energetic with a good move set and lots of charisma. He had plenty of decent matches and angles in his first year.

John Cena was great when he debuted against Jericho, and from then he was always having good matches of Velocity and Smackdown, so again disagree.

Hogan had some of his best matches in the beginning in AWA and NJPW, so again
disagree.

These guys had natural talent, charisma, and athletic ability from the get go. If anything, the promoter who shaped them (Gagne and McMahon) limited them to a specific direction. Which ended up not being so bad for them in the long run, just deprived us of the variety of their talents.

Hogan didn't need to have the highest work rate because he was the Hulkamaniac with the power of the Hulkamaniacs. It was his job to get his ass kicked by a talented (sometimes) heel and then make the big come back to get the fans wet.

Rock came in like a total pro, he didn't have many green moments. Once they figured a way to go with him, the ran all the way to the bank.

Cena's first run he was awesome and an internet fanboys dream. But they put him through the machine and what we got was a commercially successful figurehead of the current WWE Generation, same thing as Hogan, and the Rock.

Kane Knight
04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
LOL. moveset. This isn't a wrestling game, troll.

Cena can sell, Rock can sell well and sometimes oversold, and nobody cares about Hogan. Cena's a good wrestler who has been stripped to five moves to protect him as an asset, Rock was a solid wrestler with few moves in his arsenal, and again, I'm not gonna defend Hogan.

Johnny McNasty
04-13-2010, 05:43 PM
John Cena is a better wrestler than The Rock. Just because his character is stale doesn't mean his ability in the ring has diminished. John Cena wishes he had half of the charisma The Rock had though.

NeanderCarl
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Hogan could sell. Jesus, his selling is what made him as a babyface inside the ring.

KIRA
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
LOL. moveset. This isn't a wrestling game, troll.

Cena can sell, Rock can sell well and sometimes oversold, and nobody cares about Hogan. Cena's a good wrestler who has been stripped to five moves to protect him as an asset, Rock was a solid wrestler with few moves in his arsenal, and again, I'm not gonna defend Hogan.

One of the Rare times you and I are in full agreement

DAMN iNATOR
04-14-2010, 01:50 AM
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/cDgsbA0zkNI&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Not going against you though. I liked Rock in the ring. Everything except his Sharpshooter, which was painful to watch.

Agreed. Don't get me started on a rant about Rock's sharpshooter...I could probably bitch about it enough to write a small novel.

DAMN iNATOR
04-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Hogan could sell. Jesus, his selling is what made him as a babyface inside the ring.

And his stubborn politicking to win every match in the latter part of his in-ring career made us all realize that we must have been insane as kids to cheer and support and buy all of Hulk's merch. That's really the only downside to Hogan. In my eyes at least, he kinda tarnished his reputation not just by coming back for supposed final match after supposed final match well after he should have, but also by INSISTING that he go over in the final matches of his career.

NeanderCarl
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Of course he's going to politick. For two reasons:

a) He's got actual genuine name/brand value to protect, unlike most of the flavour-of-the-month guys bookers have asked him to put over. Completely regardless of his perceived in-ring ability, Hogan has 30 years of history and legacy and promoters would happily pour that down the drain to get their latest nobody over (just look at how Austin was treated with the Lesnar situation)

b) Promoters allowed him to get away with it for years, therefore he's used to it. They created the monster, they have nobody to blame but themselves. Promoters bitching about Hogan using creative control shouldn't have given it to him in the first place.

You can criticize Hogan for a lot of things but I'm sorry, politicking is not one that sticks with me. I'm not denying he has done it, yeah he can be a sly fox and be more than liberal with the truth but it's the fault of those around him for allowing him to get away with it.

NeanderCarl
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
And when I say promoters wanted him to put "the latest nobody" over, of course that didn't always turn out to be the case, but often he was asked to put over guys who either weren't ready or were never likely to be.

Look at the history in the business of established big names risking tarnishing their reputations and legacies by firmly establishing and putting over up-and-comers who had no respect or appreciation for what they were getting, and turned into wash-outs and also-rans.

First name that comes to mind involves The Hulkster: Ultimate Warrior.