PDA

View Full Version : Tag Teams in WWE

BollywoodSingh
04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
These seem to the be the regular, active tag-teams in WWE:

Show Miz
Hart Dynasty
Although I've never seen them - Croft and Barretta if they're still around
And are Morrison and R-Truth still teaming?

What tag teams would you like to see in WWE?

I liked Carlito and Primo together, not sure why they were split and then left to do nothing.

tjmidnight420
04-13-2010, 12:18 AM
I agree, Carlito and Primo should still be a tag team... Honestly I'm scared to see tag teams in WWE that they didn't create, because they'd just split them up... At least this way you always know it's just temporary.

Mr. Nerfect
04-13-2010, 12:48 AM
The Colons should still be together -- even if you give them a gimmick where they don't really get along all the time. I wouldn't mind seeing them wrestle each other every time they lose a big tag team match to "cool down." Could be pretty fun.

I'm not completely convinced that the WWE should break up Legacy just yet. I'd like to see them in a feud with The Hart Dynasty over the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship. If you draft Goldust & Finlay over to RAW, you could stick Hornswoggle with them, and make them second/third/"fourth" generation stars who aren't cocky youngsters. I would actually quite like to see a feud between Finlay, Goldust, Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes. You can also call up Brett DiBiase & Joe Hennig to SmackDown! as "The Fortunate Sons" and eventually build to a Legacy vs. Fortunate Sons program.

Curt Hawkins is still under contract, and is still really young and quite talented. While I would also not mind them feuding, if the WWE got serious about putting forward some tag teams -- Hawkins & Ryder reuniting would not be a tragic thing. They both have years ahead of them, and with Rosa Mendes as a valet, they could get quite over. They would also be more discernable than they were last time. People wouldn't get confused about who is who like they did during their run on SmackDown! and as "The Major Brothers."

I still like the idea of Chavo Guerrero calling up Dos Caras, Jr. from FCW as his bodyguard, of sorts -- and with the two both being either a second or third generation Superstar, it could work on those levels, as well. Vickie Guerrero could give them a lot of heel support if they were put on SmackDown!. A feud between The Latin Warriors (Chavo & Caras) and The Colons would be quite interesting.

When NXT is over, they can use it to create several tag teams. I like the idea of Justin Gabriel remaining paired with Matt Hardy. Call them "The Omega Angels" or something like that. Whatever. They would be over like Grover (who is pretty over, don't forget). Skip Sheffield also seems like a natural partner for Jimmy Wang Yang. The smaller guy absorbs the punishment, and then he tags in Sheffield who cleans house.

The Straight-Edge Society should also offer forth a "real" tag team. If you go with my crazy idea of having Shoichi Funaki join the SES, then he could be part of that team. Funaki & Luke Gallows, Funaki & Joey Mercury (who I hope does return to the WWE) or Gallows & Mercury. A team like that would be pretty fun.

Mr. Nerfect
04-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Oh, and when NXT is over, stick Wade Barrett with Chris Jericho full-time, and perhaps have Ezekiel Jackson or Shad Gaspard eventually do the same thing. Then stick Barrett & Zeke/Shad together as a tag team.

OWEN ULLRICH
04-13-2010, 01:53 AM
WWE always been pretty weak in the tag team division. They were at there best in the 87-89" era. they had about 10 to 15 top tag teams at one time. Back then tag teams and stables seem to last and meant something.

Hart Foundation
The Rockers
The BrainBusters
Powers Of Pain
Demolition
Strike Force
The Bulldogs
The KillerBees
The Young Stallions
The Fabolous Rougeous
The Islanders
The Bolsheviks
The Conquistadors
The Bushwhackers

Juan
04-13-2010, 01:56 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_35kDzNt-gTQ/RpmeXjcag9I/AAAAAAAAACE/Bpo04QrGBvc/s320/dead+horse.gif

Xero
04-13-2010, 01:57 AM
This isn't a Bret thread, Juan.

owenbrown
04-13-2010, 02:11 AM
lol Xero

NoRoolz
04-13-2010, 06:35 AM
WWE hasn't had a tag division since about 2002. TNA has a few good tag teams, better than WWE anyway. But even if all the teams were in 1 division it still wouldn't compare to the attitude era/late 80's early 90's.

At least WWE has unified the tag titles though, having two seperate tag titles was such a joke.

redoneja
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Yea tag team wrestling is dead in WWE. I don't see it coming back anytime soon either.

FourFifty
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
WWE does not like tag teams. Then again, Juan already said it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_35kDzNt-gTQ/RpmeXjcag9I/AAAAAAAAACE/Bpo04QrGBvc/s320/dead+horse.gif

DLVH84
04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
And that's tragic. Since WWE doesn't like Tag Team wrestling, get rid of the Tag Team titles. Don't devalue the titles by putting them on two singles stars.

Or else, get used to Tag Team wrestling and develop more permanent tag teams to raise the value of the titles.

Nicky Fives
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
The Colons should still be together -- even if you give them a gimmick where they don't really get along all the time. I wouldn't mind seeing them wrestle each other every time they lose a big tag team match to "cool down." Could be pretty fun.

I'm not completely convinced that the WWE should break up Legacy just yet. I'd like to see them in a feud with The Hart Dynasty over the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship. If you draft Goldust & Finlay over to RAW, you could stick Hornswoggle with them, and make them second/third/"fourth" generation stars who aren't cocky youngsters. I would actually quite like to see a feud between Finlay, Goldust, Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes. You can also call up Brett DiBiase & Joe Hennig to SmackDown! as "The Fortunate Sons" and eventually build to a Legacy vs. Fortunate Sons program.

Curt Hawkins is still under contract, and is still really young and quite talented. While I would also not mind them feuding, if the WWE got serious about putting forward some tag teams -- Hawkins & Ryder reuniting would not be a tragic thing. They both have years ahead of them, and with Rosa Mendes as a valet, they could get quite over. They would also be more discernable than they were last time. People wouldn't get confused about who is who like they did during their run on SmackDown! and as "The Major Brothers."

I still like the idea of Chavo Guerrero calling up Dos Caras, Jr. from FCW as his bodyguard, of sorts -- and with the two both being either a second or third generation Superstar, it could work on those levels, as well. Vickie Guerrero could give them a lot of heel support if they were put on SmackDown!. A feud between The Latin Warriors (Chavo & Caras) and The Colons would be quite interesting.

When NXT is over, they can use it to create several tag teams. I like the idea of Justin Gabriel remaining paired with Matt Hardy. Call them "The Omega Angels" or something like that. Whatever. They would be over like Grover (who is pretty over, don't forget). Skip Sheffield also seems like a natural partner for Jimmy Wang Yang. The smaller guy absorbs the punishment, and then he tags in Sheffield who cleans house.

The Straight-Edge Society should also offer forth a "real" tag team. If you go with my crazy idea of having Shoichi Funaki join the SES, then he could be part of that team. Funaki & Luke Gallows, Funaki & Joey Mercury (who I hope does return to the WWE) or Gallows & Mercury. A team like that would be pretty fun.

I can't argue with any of that, although not as fan of Funaki on TV.... his days as something other than a jobber are over.....

kareru
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Copy_of_Montage.jpg/441px-Copy_of_Montage.jpg

Jeritron
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
This is why TNA should make tag team wrestling a major focal point. Just because they have more of a tag division than WWE, doesn't mean they make it a big deal. It's not really any more important or higher up the card than it is in WWE.

They should experiment with the idea of making the tag team titles = the world title. It could differentiate the product and offer something WWE doesn't to a group of fans that wants it. Instead of worrying about doing certain things at half of WWE's level, they should do something like this better than them.

For instance, RVD and Jeff Hardy being packaged in a tag team is stupid when they are lower down the card. It's a waste of two huge talents. If they are pushed and treated as equal to world title status, this could mean volumes for them and the tag team division.
WWE did this for a very brief time with the Two Man Power Trip, and their fueds with Taker/Kane and Jericho/Benoit.

RVD/Jeff Hardy vs Beer Money, or a team of Angle/Joe, could main event PPVs.

DLVH84
04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
This is why TNA should make tag team wrestling a major focal point. Just because they have more of a tag division than WWE, doesn't mean they make it a big deal. It's not really any more important or higher up the card than it is in WWE.

They should experiment with the idea of making the tag team titles = the world title. It could differentiate the product and offer something WWE doesn't to a group of fans that wants it. Instead of worrying about doing certain things at half of WWE's level, they should do something like this better than them.

For instance, RVD and Jeff Hardy being packaged in a tag team is stupid when they are lower down the card. It's a waste of two huge talents. If they are pushed and treated as equal to world title status, this could mean volumes for them and the tag team division.
WWE did this for a very brief time with the Two Man Power Trip, and their fueds with Taker/Kane and Jericho/Benoit.

Exactly. As far as Tag Team wrestling goes today, TNA beat WWE by miles. It's just that they have to step it up and make Tag Teams a vocal point, just like the Knockouts and the X-Division.

tjmidnight420
04-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Book it... Seriously... I miss tag team wrestling being done right...

parkmania
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Throw Ray Gordy and Sim Snuka somewhere in the mix and you've got me interested.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2010, 02:16 AM

I agree with this. That's part of the reason I feel the Knockout Division does so well for TNA -- the WWE have such a shitty women's division. As you said, if they don't try and do what the WWE is doing as well as them, look at the vacuum and present what people aren't getting -- things could work out great for them. Then they'd truly be an "alternative" product.

Back in the day, I used to like it how TNA would put their title matches on last. All of them. Sometimes in a funky order, too (I remember a PPV where the X-Division closed, for example). I got the impression that being a champion of anything meant more than not being a champion. This is how you make belts mean something.

I like to think of tag team wrestling as a science. Instead of just knowing one guy (your opponent), you have to know three (your two opponents and your partner). It requires a great mental mastery and an entirely different strategy. I also like the idea of the Tag Team Champions heading up the company with the World Champion. I mean, sure, the World Heavyweight Champion gets the glory for themselves, but the Tag Team Champions can also say "get any two guys, and we can beat them." You are also a World Champion -- you just have a partner and beat two guys instead of one.

If they sign Paul London, and do a Three-Way Ladder Match between Londrick, The Motor City Machine Guns and Generation Me -- you're essentially recreating the excitement Edge & Christian, The Hardys and The Dudleys presented people in 2000-2001. If you want more of a "grounded team," you've got Beer Money, who are amazing (and not without credibility).

The same thing goes for the X-Division. They're trying, but it still feels like they are confusing it for a cruiserweight division. The idea was all about the style the guys would offer. Some smaller guys should be in the TNA World Title scene right now (AJ Styles, for example), but I'd love to see Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy step into the X-Division. Angle has said he'd be willing to do it.

If I were in charge of bringing Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy into the company, I would have had them both cut promos about the thing attracting them to TNA is the lifestyle the X-Division represents, and how they want to master that style of wrestling here. The crowd was pretty much begging for Doug Williams vs. Rob Van Dam for the X-Division Title after Williams beat Shannon Moore. If RVD put over winning the X-Division belt as meaning more than being the WWE Champion, it would be huge.

Samoa Joe isn't really doing anything, and with the main event clogged, and if you had some bigger stars in there, Joe returning to the X-Division would not be horrible, either. He is a guy you could make a case for being in the main event, but I'm imagining Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy for the X-Division Title, and I cannot imagine Samoa Joe being "pissed."