PDA

View Full Version : Mr. TNA. (Impact Spoilers)

What Would Kevin Do?
04-19-2010, 10:02 PM
For those who didn't watch Impact, which I'm assuming is 99% of you, Rob Van Dam beat AJ Styles to become the new TNA champion. Pretty awesome actually, mainly because I don't think anyone saw it coming.

Thoughts.

Innovator
04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Good for TNA

The Show Off
04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I think I'm going crazy, people are actually praising TNA

Ruien
04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I was enjoying AJ as the champ... Oh well, RVD is not that bad of a choice.

The Show Off
04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I mean, I love TNA been a fan for a while now just surprised to see a repreive from people shitting on their product.

I was expecting people to bitch about Van Dam winning with no build and all that bullshit, but I'm pleasently surprised to see the reaction on the Impact thread and this one.

Juan
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Didn't Dixie just talk about pushing home grown talent the other day?

Evil Vito
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
<font color=goldenrod>An early 4/20 gift</font>

PullMyFinger
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Homegrown talent has been getting the rub for a while. AJ is the longest reigning TNA champ ever, Desmond Wolfe, Joe, BMI, Abyss, Rob Terry and all of them have been in the spotlight. You can't tell me that's not true.

St. Jimmy
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I think it's stupid they blew this on an iMPACT. shit could've sold some real PPV buyrates.

parkmania
Well, RVD has been known to "push his homegrown" before...

St. Jimmy
but good for RVD, i don't mind the strap on him.

Jeritron
04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm happy because RVD is great, and suprises are good.

I'm also confused because I thought the AJ and Pope fued was unresolved and still has legs. Hopefully it continues non-title, becuause that's kinda bullshit if it doesn't.

I'd like to have known this match was taking place so I could watch it. RVD vs AJ Styles is probably the biggest money match they had for RVD. They gave it away on free tv.

I'm not going to bitch though because it's cool

Did they announce it earlier in the night? I guess it's my fault for not paying attention.

St. Jimmy
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm happy because RVD is great, and suprises are good.

I'm also confused because I thought the AJ and Pope fued was unresolved and still has legs. Hopefully it continues non-title, becuause that's kinda bullshit if it doesn't.

I'd like to have known this match was taking place so I could watch it. RVD vs AJ Styles is probably the biggest money match they had for RVD. They gave it away on free tv.

I'm not going to bitch though because it's cool

Did they announce it earlier in the night? I guess it's my fault for not paying attention.

Earlier in the night RVD vs. Hardy was a #1 contenders match for later in the evening vs. AJ.

PullMyFinger
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I know ppl say it was dumb to give it away for free. But let's be honest, when WCW did Goldberg vs. Hogan, it was a well established touring company getting in big buyrates already. TNA is a lot smaller and is just trying to get people talking about them right now. So in a sense, I agree with what they did, so long as they don't do it all the time. I guarentee you that they would've scored a similar buyrate regardless if the main event was RVD vs Styles or any other main event.

Next Big Thing
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
If AJ bitched before, he's sure not gonna keep quiet now. I don't think he was the right fit as champ anyways and I'm happy for RVD. He didn't look right trying to follow Flair, but his reign was one of the weakest in wrestling history. Other than the Pope, did he even have a victory as champ during the Hogan era (Hardy beat him on tv; Abyss choke slammed him through the mat at a PPV)

Juan
04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I've always said that I hope TNA does well, even though I don't watch it, so I hope for their sake that this is a step in the right direction.

The Gold Standard
04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I am in a major minority, but I was never a fan of RVD. So, I really could care less that he won.

However, I feel they should have saved this for a PPV.

dronepool
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh shit, RVD got a huge push pretty quick. This is awesome.

FearedSanctity
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
They're just gonna do a gimmicked rematch at Sacrifice, and that one will obviously be the better of the two

Jeritron
04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
He beat Pope by hitting him in the face with a pen. That doesn't end a fued, it just gives it more steam.
It shouldn't end just like that. It's the same as his fued with Abyss ending for the most part, after Abyss got screwed over by a broken ring. That should have pissed Abyss off more and made him want another title shot.
I don't get why they're afraid to have a fued slowly build and go to multiple PPVs, and end with some closure. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with them. They build up title fueds, and only give them one PPV match and even without a clean finish they quickly move on to the next one.

This style of title reign is fine if you're doing the "all challengers welcome" thing, like HBK did the best in 1996. But those fueds weren't as personal and didn't get shortchanged. It was just a string of challengers.

But that's a larger criticism of TNA booking, not this one instance in particular. I'm happy RVD has the title. AJ playing sidekick to Flair just wasn't interesting me.

redoneja
04-19-2010, 10:21 PM
They're just gonna do a gimmicked rematch at Sacrifice, and that one will obviously be the better of the two

I'm thinking rematch where AJ underhandedly wins the title back.

thedamndest
04-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Anything can happen in Total Nonstop Action.

redoneja
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I wonder how much tonight's TNA booking changed, if at all, when they found out Raw wouldn't be as strong as usual.

I'm wondering if the main event was originally just supposed to be Hardy/RVD for #1 Contendership, but TNA decided to go through and put on the title match and switch to see how much they could draw against a 'weaker' Raw. Dunno. There probably isn't that much into it.

PullMyFinger
04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I just know that Russo is burnt out and hasn't been booking since last night. Past two days have been all Bischoff.

erickman
04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I wonder how much tonight's TNA booking changed, if at all, when they found out Raw wouldn't be as strong as usual.

I'm wondering if the main event was originally just supposed to be Hardy/RVD for #1 Contendership, but TNA decided to go through and put on the title match and switch to see how much they could draw against a 'weaker' Raw. Dunno. There probably isn't that much into it.

yeah thats what i think they went for broke tonight, joe coming back too was probly part of it.

Tazz Dan
04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm happy for the guy. May even download the show this week. :y:

Lock Jaw
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Wasn't digging AJ Flair as champ...

But I'd take it over RVD any day.

Not an RVD fan in the slightest.

Fat Aaron
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't know how I feel yet. Fans had to love it though, RVD has been getting extreme pops every time he comes out. Wish I had seen it, actually.

Lock Jaw
04-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I must say that the "moment" of him winning the title, confetti, being hoisted on the faces shoulders...

It was all pretty much ruined by his terrible theme music.

Xero
04-20-2010, 12:53 AM
lol no one really cared when I was announcing this during the show. Few guys did, but that's it.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2010, 01:19 AM
He beat Pope by hitting him in the face with a pen. That doesn't end a fued, it just gives it more steam.
It shouldn't end just like that. It's the same as his fued with Abyss ending for the most part, after Abyss got screwed over by a broken ring. That should have pissed Abyss off more and made him want another title shot.
I don't get why they're afraid to have a fued slowly build and go to multiple PPVs, and end with some closure. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with them. They build up title fueds, and only give them one PPV match and even without a clean finish they quickly move on to the next one.

This style of title reign is fine if you're doing the "all challengers welcome" thing, like HBK did the best in 1996. But those fueds weren't as personal and didn't get shortchanged. It was just a string of challengers.

But that's a larger criticism of TNA booking, not this one instance in particular. I'm happy RVD has the title. AJ playing sidekick to Flair just wasn't interesting me.

I agree with this. I wonder where this does leave The Pope, who I thought was a "can't fuck up" situation. They haven't really yet, but I hope he isn't shortchanged. AJ Styles has been champion long enough, though, so a change of any sort is welcome by me. RVD winning the title puts it on someone the crowd loves and has name recognition, though. I wonder if they turn Pope "heel" (in the TNA sense of the word) to feud with RVD now? That would be...interesting.

kareru
04-20-2010, 01:28 AM
i haven't seen impact yet, not that it matters because that absolute cock wad sorry excuse for a fucking 'journalist' ryan clark put a spoiler on the front page

thanks mr clark, i hope you choke on the next cock you suck

el bobbo
04-20-2010, 01:31 AM
I agree with this. I wonder where this does leave The Pope, who I thought was a "can't fuck up" situation. They haven't really yet, but I hope he isn't shortchanged. AJ Styles has been champion long enough, though, so a change of any sort is welcome by me. RVD winning the title puts it on someone the crowd loves and has name recognition, though. I wonder if they turn Pope "heel" (in the TNA sense of the word) to feud with RVD now? That would be...interesting.

It would be cool if they found someone else for RVD to feud with and have AJ and Pope settle their differences without the title involved.

Juan
04-20-2010, 01:34 AM
i haven't seen impact yet, not that it matters because that absolute cock wad sorry excuse for a fucking 'journalist' ryan clark put a spoiler on the front page

thanks mr clark, i hope you choke on the next cock you suck

www.pwinsider.com
www.f4wonline.com
www.pwtorch.com
www.411mania.com/wrestling

All Clark free

kareru
04-20-2010, 01:45 AM
oh great, and now dixie carter has just posted another spoiler, what a fine day i'm having

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Come on now dude. Spoiling Smackdown 2 days before it airs is one thing, but "spoiling" something that happened live on national TV 4 hours ago is no where near the same. The internet isn't going to cater to those who missed out. That's like missing the Super Bowl and not wanting to hear anything about it until you watch it on DVR the next day. It's not gonna happen, especially if you frequent wrestling websites.

dronepool
04-20-2010, 01:51 AM
So what are the rating predictions this week?

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Impact will rise slightly, RAW will fall a bit. But Impact's replay could probably be hire than tonights show

Xero
04-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Impact's replay numbers will be huge.

dronepool
04-20-2010, 01:57 AM
I'll most likely watch the whole thing on Thursday. I tried watching during Hardy vs RVD but the commercial breaks every 30 seconds pissed me off.

Thunder Savage Go
04-20-2010, 02:35 AM
you hit the nail on the head dronepool i dunno how many ultimate fighter commercials i can take before i want to throw my tv out the window

Rammsteinmad
04-20-2010, 03:50 AM
That means RVD is currently the most credible champion (to me).

Joesgonnakillyou
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
RVD as champ is as good as AJ as champ in my eyes. I would have saved it for a PPV but Impact is good too. At least they didn't do it on a house show (it wouldn't surprise me).

It's not a game changer though. TNA will still make stupid decisions and have unintelligible booking. Say what you want about WWE, at least it makes sense most of the time.

and anyway, the big news about Impact was that Joe came back...

kareru
04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
didn't russo say he was burnt out and he was stepping back from writing after lockdown?

Rammsteinmad
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Is there a video of this yet? I can't find one.

PullMyFinger
04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah the bisch has been booking 2 days now

The Show Off
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
RVD as champ is as good as AJ as champ in my eyes. I would have saved it for a PPV but Impact is good too. At least they didn't do it on a house show (it wouldn't surprise me).

It's not a game changer though. TNA will still make stupid decisions and have unintelligible booking. Say what you want about WWE, at least it makes sense most of the time.

and anyway, the big news about Impact was that Joe came back...

The difference between TNA and WWE is this...
(and I'm speaking in broad strokes not specifically)

WWE makes sense but in generally bland.

TNA doesn't make sence all the time but is usually intresting (if not down right silly).

DLVH84
04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm glad RVD is champion.

Joesgonnakillyou
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
The difference between TNA and WWE is this...
(and I'm speaking in broad strokes not specifically)

WWE makes sense but in generally bland.

TNA doesn't make sence all the time but is usually intresting (if not down right silly).

I do try and watch as many TNA PPV matches as I can, the booking just drives me mad. I'm a big fan of a lot of the roster. It's just they can't make you care about a match before it happens. I was geniunely excited for most of the matches at Wrestlemania by WWE build up. TNA has never really had that effect (Apart from Joe vs Angle) because they have no decent build up and just throw out things randomly. Usually the PPV matches have been given away for free

and getting back on topic. That's what i find so underwhelming about RVD winning the title. Where's the story? Where's the Heroes journey? We've just not been made to care about it.

If i could have (generally) WWE build up with TNA matches I'd be a happy man

The Show Off
04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I do try and watch as many TNA PPV matches as I can, the booking just drives me mad. I'm a big fan of a lot of the roster. It's just they can't make you care about a match before it happens. I was geniunely excited for most of the matches at Wrestlemania by WWE build up. TNA has never really had that effect (Apart from Joe vs Angle) because they have no decent build up and just throw out things randomly. Usually the PPV matches have been given away for free

and getting back on topic. That's what i find so underwhelming about RVD winning the title. Where's the story? Where's the Heroes journey? We've just not been made to care about it.

If i could have (generally) WWE build up with TNA matches I'd be a happy man

Fair assessment. Good job.

Xero
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Just watched Impact. I will say I actually enjoyed the show a lot. There were some points that I didn't like, but I don't think there was anything I'd call flat-out bad. There seemed to be a huge shift in whoever is writing, because I thought that was the best Impact in a LOOOONG time. Focus has come back to guys who should be getting the focus without losing guys like Hogan and Flair for that casual fan boost.

If they continue to keep this up I'll be watching TNA more than I am now. As it is I watch the first hour then skim the second. This show makes me want to watch next week, even if I'm not crazy about the Abyss/Flair ring angle.

And needless to say, Van Dam winning the title is a huge step in the right direction no matter how they did it. I'd be saying these things had AJ retained, honestly, but Van Dam winning adds some hope to TNA as a whole.