PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross Meets With Dixie Carter

taker707
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Source: Prowrestling.net

Jim Ross met with TNA officials earlier this month. Multiple sources indicate that the meeting was held in Texas and included Ross, TNA president Dixie Carter, and her father Bob Carter.

Buzz amongst TNA sources is that Ross was not open to solely being a play-by-play announcer for the company. Rather, he expressed more interest in playing a general manager type role where he would help shape the TNA roster and office staff structure among other duties.

The feeling coming out of the meeting was that Ross was not interested in committing to TNA and is looking for work outside professional wrestling should he not strike a new deal with World Wrestling Entertainment. He has a number of projects in the works including book deals and speaking engagements. His latest contract extension with WWE expires on Apr. 30.

Ross has also spoken with HDNet officials regarding a potential deal that would have him call MMA events and United Football League games. Though calling Ring of Honor could potentially be part of the deal, the focus appears to be on MMA and football at this time.

There is still a chance Ross could re-sign a long term deal with WWE or work out another short-term agreement. TNA sources do not believe there is a non-compete attached to his current deal with WWE, meaning he could theoretically work for TNA or HDNet as soon as his contract expires. However, it does not appear that a deal is imminent with either organization.

I honestly hope he goes to TNA

Juan
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Jim Ross has updated his blog at JRsBarBQ.com with an update on his WWE contractual status. It's been widely reported that Ross will be a free agent at the end of the month if he and WWE cannot come to terms on a new deal.

Ross wrote that he's expecting to hear from WWE in the next day or two regarding his next assignement with the company. "Contrary to what is being carelessly reported, WWE is still my top priority as it relates to wrestling gigs."

"Many interesting, high road projects are being presented to me of which I've previously discussed, he said. "Nothing is a done deal. I'm merely listening to some of them .. Whatever I decide to do will be things that are classy, fun and things that I have been wanting to become involved with."

The Jayman
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
BAH GAWD!!

Nicky Fives
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I would be shocked and appaled if he ever signed a deal/appeared on TV.....

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 05:04 PM
This needs to happen, so it won't

Xero
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/image.php?u=272&dateline=1271744213

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
http://tpww.net/forums/image.php?u=1036&dateline=1270944689 (http://tpww.net/forums/member.php?u=1036)

VSG
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Source: Prowrestling.net

Didn't read further than that!

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Jim Ross joining TNA would add some class to them, actually. Mike Tenay is best as a third man, anyway. I also liked JR's chemistry with Taz. But I think Ross remains in the WWE to some capacity.

Swiss Ultimate
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Jim Ross calling ROH matches...

BigDaddyCool
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
This is exactly what TNA needs to beat WWE in the rating.

Swiss Ultimate
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
lol, better announcing couldn't hurt...

Honestly, it seems to me that their back-stage set-up is completely fucked and someone like Ross could help them a lot. Unlike washed-up wrestlers, Ross provides a well-spring of knowledge and experience in running a wrestling company and working with talent.

RGWhat316
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Even though JR belongs in WWE, they treat him so badly that I would want him to move on if he will be happy.

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Definitely a step in the right direction.

Gotta wonder though, is this because it's what the Carter's want, or Spike? About a month ago there was a report Spike was losing faith in Bischoff and Hogan, and they wanted to bring in JR and Heyman. Is Spike getting their way?

tjmidnight420
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Buzz amongst TNA sources is that Ross was not open to solely being a play-by-play announcer for the company. Rather, he expressed more interest in playing a general manager type role where he would help shape the TNA roster and office staff structure among other duties.

They need somebody that knows the business running TNA. I don't see it happening even if JR does decide he wants to be there. Too many egos involved.

Swiss Ultimate
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Would Heyman return? Especially to the station that fucked him so badly with ECW?

XL
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
As useful as JR could be in a managerial capacity, it'd be pointless with Hogan/Bischoff/Russo around.

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty sure most of the people at TNN are gone now. And it didn't bother him when WWE was on Spike.

It's totally up to him, and as much as I hope for it, I don't think he'll do it. Unless Spike wants to kick out a contract loaded with money and incentives

Swiss Ultimate
04-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Why would the TNN/Spike executives be gone? Do we know it didn't bother him? (maybe he was just happy to have a job)

He just seems to be happy where he is.

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm going off an assumption that after 10 years and a network overhaul that atleast a good chunk of the higher ups from the TNN days would be gone. But no, I wouldn't know for sure.

And you're right, he does seem happy where he is, thus why I don't think he'll do it unless Spike goes all out. It seems all it takes is for someone to get the itch and they'll come on back to the business

FearedSanctity
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
In 1998, the channel dropped its "The Nashville Network" moniker and shortened its official name to the simpler TNN. Ownership shifted to Viacom in the late 1990s after its acquisition of CBS Corporation, Westinghouse's successor.<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Network#cite_note-9)</sup> TNN subsequently moved out of its original Nashville base to New York City and folded into Viacom's MTV Networks division.

blak23
04-20-2010, 06:49 PM
don't believe it jr is a company man

NeanderCarl
04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
So much credence is given to the theory that Vince Russo was a positive contributor to the wrestling world in 1997-1999 because he had Vince McMahon as his "editor"... but I think that equally as important was that he had the authoritative passionate voice of Jim Ross on hand to explain the convoluted angles and make sense of them, and sell the important points to the audience.

In the hands of lesser announcers, Russo's bizarre overbooked television shows become a confusing mess. With a knowledgable and concise commentator extracting the gold nuggets from the steaming piles of crap and drawing attention to the important stuff, accentuating the occasional strokes of genius or at least the eccentric creativity of Russo, his crash TV starts to make more sense and could even -gasp- be a ratings draw. When people clearly understand what is going on, who screwed who, who is mad at who, who has an issue with who, the rest takes care of itself. Too often these elements aren't clear with Russo booked TV.

Jim Ross was the one guy who made perfect sense out of it during the Attitude era. TNA needs Jim Ross far more than he needs them. They also need him far more than WWE appreciates him.

taker707
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
update :

Several company executives met with Jim Ross earlier this month. Ross met with TNA Chief Financial Officer Dean Broadhead, Dixie Carter and her father Bob Carter a few weeks ago to discuss working with the company when his WWE contract expires in just 10 days. One of the main points of contention Ross brought up was that Vince Russo would have to be removed from the creative team before he would even consider any serious negotiations. Jim Ross told the Carters that if he were to sign with TNA – he’d be looking to be not just an announcer, but a top level company executive. With the amount of time Ross spent as one of the top players behind the scenes in WWE, he would be an invaluable asset to TNA in terms of talent development and the overall direction of the company. We can confirm that Ross has also also spoken with officials from Marc Cuban’s HDNet cable channel. HDNet is the home of MMA, UFL football and Ring of Honor programming.

RiX1024
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Jim Ross would be awesome for TNA! Tenay is more of an expert analyst than a play-by-play! that would improve TNA's quality of matches by Ross and Taz's commentary, plus get him to be talent relations like he used to be in WWE! imagine who they would bring in then!

But still i can't imagine it to be reality! good on paper tho!

Jordan
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
If this happens, if he takes over talent relations like he did in WWE, watch out I'd say.

Jeritron
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
If Jim Ross wants to be on television announcing matches, he should be.

Obviously I'd prefer to see him in the WWE, but if they have no interest in using him and he wants to work, I'm all for him going to TNA. I honestly think he'd improve their product as much as, if not more than, any wrestler they have signed. He gets things over and makes things feel important. This is a department TNA is seriously lacking in. They're not hurting for talent.

If he can still do his thing, I'd rather see him doing it than sitting home getting the cold shoulder from WWE

kareru
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
do you think when he watches wrestling at home he turns the volume down and does play-by-play and mrs ross is on colour.

Jordan
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
No he sits there criticizing all of the color guys, he's really hard on Grisham, I have read his reviews on his Blog... Kinda funny.

Not as funny as Howard Finkel's opinions though

Kane Knight
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Didn't read further than that!

You got past the name? Almost 100% of the time, his sources are shit.

Fat Aaron
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I really wish JR would be in the WWE. But if Vince doesn't want to sign him and he wants to work, by all means I hope this works well for him.

Kane Knight
04-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I want to see him join the Fox News team. Could you imagine his reaction to breaking news reaching millions of viewers each morning?

KayfabeMan
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
BY GAWD OBAMA AIN'T MADE OF CHOCOLATE

:shifty:

KayfabeMan
04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Also, JR in TNA would be great.

The guy is an asset in any company, but I believe he's run his course in WWE - and should be in a company where they won't treat him like shit. They are going in a new direction, and it's clear JR isn't part of it and hasn't been for a while.

I feel he has much more to contribute to the business, and TNA would be a new path, so to speak, where he could definitely help groom a new crop of superstars and expand his contributions from the NWA, WCW and WWF/E to a new company.

BobBitchen
04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Although many wrestling websites do a really nice job in reporting on the biz some obviously go with what they hear more than once and then consider such gospel. For example, it was reported that I met with TNA executive Dean Broadhead who I have never met in my entire life nor could I pick him out of a police lineup.

from
http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/cacfaber-vs-aldointerenet-inaccuraciesqas-updatedjrs-original-bbq-sauce-rockinginteresting-days

St. Jimmy
04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
JR could call MMA and could do really well. That being said, the thought makes me want to puke seeing JR wasted on fucking MMA.

tjmidnight420
04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
JR could call MMA and could do really well. That being said, the thought makes me want to puke seeing JR wasted on fucking MMA.

Agreed. I feel if TNA had the right people working in the office they'd do really well. JR is definitely one of those people.

teamXtremist
04-27-2010, 12:27 AM
if tna was truly serious about taking there company to the next level theyd do everything in their power to bring jr in, instant credibility and maybe more people would take them seriously

Vastardikai
04-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Not many people can say something that is clearly ridiculous and make it sound like something that makes sense. Look up "Sting and RoboCop" on Youtube (which I have posted on this board at least twice) for example.

KYR
04-27-2010, 02:37 AM
I can't understand how 'bringing JR in' will add 'instant credibility' to TNA and cause more people to take them seriously.

It's like those that say Batista and Shelton is "JUST WHAT TNA NEED".

TNA DOESN'T need any WWE cast-offs. It doesn't NEED any more on-air talent. It doesn't NEED any more wrestlers. It doesn't NEED any more announcers. Good Lord, how much more talent do they need.

What is DOES NEED is some clear direction, leadership and a creative team with decent, innovative and original ideas that will attract viewers AND keep them.

KYR
04-27-2010, 02:38 AM
And NO egos.

Vastardikai
04-27-2010, 03:36 AM
What is DOES NEED is some clear direction, leadership and a creative team with decent, innovative and original ideas that will attract viewers AND keep them.

To be fair, JR has experience as a booker, and CAN deliver on many of those fronts.

Tazz Dan
04-27-2010, 04:00 AM
I can't understand how 'bringing JR in' will add 'instant credibility' to TNA and cause more people to take them seriously.

It's like those that say Batista and Shelton is "JUST WHAT TNA NEED".

TNA DOESN'T need any WWE cast-offs. It doesn't NEED any more on-air talent. It doesn't NEED any more wrestlers. It doesn't NEED any more announcers. Good Lord, how much more talent do they need.

Sorry, have you ever even watched TNA? And if so, how long ago?

I would probably know this if you added me on facebook, but I have 0 friends. :'(

tjmidnight420
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Agreed. I'd like to see JR in TNA, but not on TV, in the front office.

tjmidnight420
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I would probably know this if you added me on facebook, but I have 0 friends. :'(

I'll add you Dan, you seem like a genuinely cool guy. :y:

Xero
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry, have you ever even watched TNA? And if so, how long ago?

:foc: