PDA

View Full Version : Ventura for President???

spd10000
04-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Jesse Ventura continues to insist on his possible running for President in the 2008 elections. "The Body" told the Associated Press recently he is seriously considering a run as an Independant in '08, and has mentioned it in public at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, as well as WrestleMania XX. (NoDQ.com)

So do you think Ventura could win?

Mikey
04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
No. I dont know why but I cant see him in the White House

Funky Fly
04-15-2004, 11:21 PM
How did he do as governor of Minnesota?

Mr. JL
04-15-2004, 11:23 PM
I will bet all of my money in my pocket that he won't win.

spd10000
04-15-2004, 11:23 PM

No idea, but he wasn't there for long.

loopydate
04-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Depends on who wins this year. If it's anyone, then no.

ColdwaVer
04-16-2004, 12:24 AM
I will bet all of my money in my pocket that he won't win.

Three-day old cheese is not currency.

Boondock Saint
04-16-2004, 12:32 AM
I think he actually did well as Governor.

PureHatred
04-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Ventura served one term.

When he entered office, he had a state surplus of 4 billion dollars and left with a deficit of about 4 billion dollars. Of course, most of this had to do with the nearly 6 billion he poured into Minnesota public schools and the way he changed the business tax system (basically, he lowered the taxes on businesses in order to lure new companies into Minn.). He was also the governor when Minnesota won a huge settlement from tobacco, which he used to set up several high interest public endowments. Interest from the roughly $900 million in endowments is used for smoking prevention, medical education and research. He also managed to appoint 70 new judges throughout the judicial system that were meant to reflect a more progressive approach. All 70 are still in office.

On a more public notice, he's the one who was responsible for Congress to get after MLB when they threatened to contract the Twins, which eventualy lead to the current collective bargaining agreement.

So...nothing revolutionary, but he did a more than adequate job. The deficit has to be expected when you have a governor who's dead set on spending money on public projects despite the economy.

But the odds are long that an independent candidate will win the White House. If he is seen as a legitimate candidate, and manages to force the Big Two to address some of the issues that they otherwise wouldn't, it'd be a victory.

Rob
04-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Ventura is the only govenor in recent Minnesota history to actually give tax money back to it's residents so they love him. I don't know all the ins and outs but I think he did a pretty good job and he could have easily had another term if he wanted one.

As for independent candidates winning Presidential elections, it is a long shot like PureHatred mentioned. However, this isn't a normal candidate. Ventura is known and people did want to see him run for President. I still don't think he will though.

Savio
04-16-2004, 02:11 AM
Fine he got real over when he knocked the former governer out.

Seriously he did fine.

ColdwaVer
04-16-2004, 02:14 AM
But the odds are long that an independent candidate will win the White House. If he is seen as a legitimate candidate, and manages to force the Big Two to address some of the issues that they otherwise wouldn't, it'd be a victory.

Thing is, it sorta depends on who he's up against. Supposing Bush wins this year, and 2008 sees Cheney or some unforseen Republican vs Hilary, I'd say he has a more than decent chance. The same if Kerry wins this election and runs against said unforseen Republican. Honestly in a Bush/Ventura/Kerry situation, I'd have to do a long bit of sitdown thinking to come to a decision. Based on his record as Governor, he's the closest thing to a man of the public that has even semi-seriously suggested going for the White House.

BasicThuganomics
04-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Ventura is the only govenor in recent Minnesota history to actually give tax money back to it's residents so they love him. I don't know all the ins and outs but I think he did a pretty good job and he could have easily had another term if he wanted one.

As for independent candidates winning Presidential elections, it is a long shot like PureHatred mentioned. However, this isn't a normal candidate. Ventura is known and people did want to see him run for President. I still don't think he will though.

It's sad that a guy from England knows more about American politics than alot of Americans....

But if Ventura runs, 2008 will easily be the most interesting election in a long time.

The Ravishing One
04-16-2004, 07:45 AM
It would be a nice thought. Id like to see him there.

Shaggy
04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
I dont think he will win but I would vote for him. No reason why its just that I havnt voted before and I would if he ran. Since I know he will lose I know that my vote wont really matter.

bobfinger
04-16-2004, 10:17 AM
no

ItsTimeForAChange
04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
I like Ventura, but yeah, I seriously doubt he could ever win the election to become President.

He'd have a better chance than the Hulkster though. :lol:

The CyNick
04-16-2004, 12:48 PM
I dont think is possible.

Its one thing to win a state elelction, but there's no way he would be able t raise enough money to run an effective nationwide campaign to get into the White House. Plus, people dont vote independent on a national basis, so I dotn see where his vote would come from.

It'd be cool if it happened though.

Rob
04-17-2004, 07:34 AM
It's sad that a guy from England knows more about American politics than alot of Americans....

But if Ventura runs, 2008 will easily be the most interesting election in a long time.

Yes it is. And I don't even know all that!

El Santo
04-17-2004, 02:44 PM
It's the electoral college that would hurt independents. In state elections you have to win by percentage. In national elections, you wauld have to win entire states. Say Ventura does win a state (likely Minnesota). This is pretty doubtful in the first place, since it hasn't happened in a long time. Bt say he grabs Minnesota and throws off the entire electoral college. The winner HAS to be the one with 50% of the electoral votes; in other words, if he ends up in a near deadlock with the other two candidates, like Jesse's 37% popular vote victory over Coleman and Humphrey, he doesn't win because he didn't have 50%.

The winner is then decided by Congress. There is no way in HELL a Congress populated by Democrats and Republicans would vote for the independant candidate.

CBright7831
04-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Ventura might be the Nader of 08.

KingofOldSchool
04-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I'd vote for him in '08.