PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross Status Revealed !

taker707
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Jim Ross posted the following on his blog, explaining his WWE status…

There is rampant speculation on the internet about my future. This is understandable as I’ve talked a great deal about it here on my blogs. Plus, it’s provided various wrestling sites, etc with some nice cannon fodder over the past few weeks.

This matter is much more simple than many perceive. My WWE ‘talent contract’ has ended after a 17+ year run with the company.However, I am still a WWE employee handling the same talent relations functions that I have executed for the company for the past few years including since moving to Oklahoma. I simply do not have a ‘talent contract’ as WWE has no plans to utilize me as an on air talent at this time.

The WWE engaged in talks with me on Thursday of this week to discuss a new job description that would include what I am now doing along with other talent relations oriented matters. I am considering this offer and I trust that a decision will be made soon regarding this opportunity.

In the meantime, I am still interested in a variety of projects and opportunities.

While some may feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting, I do not share in that belief at this time.

So it looks like hes staying with WWE in some capicity

VSG
05-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Ya I read that, and still a bit disappointed. Pretty clear that his on-tv role is over.

Kane Knight
05-01-2010, 11:04 PM
JR TO TNA??????????

St. Jimmy
05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Get his ass back on TV. Jesus.

Kane Knight
05-01-2010, 11:30 PM

God no.

We're better off without him.

taker707
05-02-2010, 12:14 AM
God no.

We're better off without him.

ya cause Cole and King are so much better

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 01:14 AM
ya cause Cole and King are so much better

Compounding shitty commentary with more shitty commentary is not preferable to the removal of some of the shitty commentary. That's the equivalent of saying that we'd be better off bringing back Hogan because you're dissatisfied with the current stock of wrestlers. It's a step backward.

I understand pro wrestling attracts a lot of nostalgia fags as fans, but we can't get new growth until we clear the rotting debris from the field. JR may give you or Jimmy a chubby because he was good 15 years ago, but he's been phoning it in for a long time. and so has King, but that doesn't make keeping JR any smarter.

Juan
05-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Compounding shitty commentary with more shitty commentary is not preferable to the removal of some of the shitty commentary. That's the equivalent of saying that we'd be better off bringing back Hogan because you're dissatisfied with the current stock of wrestlers. It's a step backward.

I understand pro wrestling attracts a lot of nostalgia fags as fans, but we can't get new growth until we clear the rotting debris from the field. JR may give you or Jimmy a chubby because he was good 15 years ago, but he's been phoning it in for a long time. and so has King, but that doesn't make keeping JR any smarter.

Pretty much spot on

James Steele
05-02-2010, 01:42 AM
[self-righteous][/pricks]

Swiss Ultimate
05-02-2010, 01:45 AM

I'm thinking his experience in talent relations is a good enough reason to want him but, yeah, his and King's commentary has been pretty bad. Though, isn't most of it scripted now?

I think if he were used on special occasions, maybe twice a year, Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania it'd work best for both him and the fans. TNA will no doubt try to put him in a main-event program with Hogan...

James Steele
05-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Jim Ross is still better than most of the guys they currently have, and he is the only one out of them who can make a match seem bigger than it is. He was pretty good on SmackDown! with Foley, Tazz, and Grisham.

tjmidnight420
05-02-2010, 02:06 AM
While some may feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting, I do not share in that belief at this time.

Think about what JR just said here...

Jim Ross is still better than most of the guys they currently have, and he is the only one out of them who can make a match seem bigger than it is. He was pretty good on SmackDown! with Foley, Tazz, and Grisham.

Also, this here.

James Steele
05-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Even though KK will blast me for this, it is like horses on a ranch.

It is easy to say "take the old horse behind the barn and put it out of its misery" but if the only other horses are ponies, then you are fucked.

Afterlife
05-02-2010, 02:50 AM
...what?

Juan
05-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Texas analogy

Afterlife
05-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Maybe Texas should just say what it means.

Shadrick
05-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Nah he really doesn't have to explain the analogy, its pretty obvious what it means.

Its easy to say "Get rid of JR as an announcer" but if you don't have any other announcers that may remotely fill his shoes in terms of what he specifically brings to the table, then "you are fucked."

Afterlife
05-02-2010, 04:36 AM
But...everyone there DOES "remotely fill his shoes". If not surpass them.

Juan
05-02-2010, 04:59 AM
I should search old threads where everyone was complaining about JR and King before JR got drafted

taker707
05-02-2010, 04:59 AM
No one in either WWE TNA ROH or any other big named fed can bring that same excitment and emotion to a big match like JR. im not saying WWE doesn't have great annoucers . ( Grisham, Striker) But JR is the best and can still hang in my book.

Afterlife
05-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Honestly, I see good in every commentator WWE has right now. I don't hate any of them. But come on. JR was great. However, he isn't what he used to be.

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Nah he really doesn't have to explain the analogy, its pretty obvious what it means.

Its easy to say "Get rid of JR as an announcer" but if you don't have any other announcers that may remotely fill his shoes in terms of what he specifically brings to the table, then "you are fucked."

Of course, that assumes his shoes are intended to/need to be filled.

JR's style is very much something that WWE seems to be moving away from in its entirety. They've been pushing more straight-up "sportscasters" for years now, and one of the reasons we haven't seen any of them reach prominence is JR himself. He and King used to utterly shit on anyone who got near that announce table in any remotely official capacity.

You may not like it, but JR is part of a dying breed in "Sports entertainment." Holding on to them will only further exacerbate the gap between "old" and "new" and prevent the latter from ever being ready. At some point, you have to phase out the old. Especially when the old is smothering the new.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-02-2010, 11:04 AM
The main reason it may have seemed that JR was "phoning it in" was because he had to commentate a shitty product for a long time. If you ever hear him calling a good/great match, he is often spot on... see: Mysterio vs. Morrison.

Kane Knight, you're a douche.

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 11:29 AM
And Dale Newstead tries to rationalise and make excuses.

Like I said. nostalgia fags.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Alrite big guy. That's why I hate Jerry Lawler and want Matt Striker to commentate Raw.

You're such a fuckwad. You're easily the worst poster on this forum. If you weren't so self righteous MAYBE you'd be alrite.

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh, I see. This has nothing to do with Jim Ross and everything to do with crying about me.

I'm sorry, I thought there was actually something to this.

My bad.

But while I'm on the subject anyway, and I know you will take no interest in this because it's not about bitching about how horrible I am, JR's job is to be the hype man. If he can't hype a shitty product, he shouldn't be onscreen, especially if the shitty product is what's being sold now. Making excuses for why he doesn't do his job doesn't mean he's not doing his job, and there are tons of people who would kill to take his place and probably treat it more seriously than he does.

But it's even funnier, given JR's positions in terms of talent relations over the years. I wonder how many of these people he's had a direct hand in, but can't seem to get excited over. Oh, but you see, it's not his fault, because....Ummmm....

Yeah, get back to me on that. You know, if you can stop whining about me long enough to get back to the blatant apologetics.

Also, not having a nostalgia chubby for King doesn't mean you don't have one for JR, but I wouldn't want that to get in your way. There are people who are nostalgic for 80s Flair but not 80s Hogan. It's okay. Cry about how mean Kane Knight is, and maybe your severe logic failing won't seem so bad.

Next Big Thing
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I love JR. He's the greatest wrestling broadcaster of all time and could probably call a better match than any of the clowns they have on now with his face in a state of paralysis, but I think Jim is kind of a pussy. All the shit McMahon's pulled on him and all the skits he's been made fun of in and this is how he goes out? Passive- aggressively blogging on how "Some may feel it's not in their best interest that I remain in broadcasting, I do not share that belief." If that's the case, he should sack up and go to TNA where he will I guarantee get Hogan/Flair treatment, otherwise he needs to shut the fuck up and take his desk job.

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I should search old threads where everyone was complaining about JR and King before JR got drafted

Wrestling's funny that way, innit?

Kane Knight
05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I love JR. He's the greatest wrestling broadcaster of all time and could probably call a better match than any of the clowns they have on now with his face in a state of paralysis, but I think Jim is kind of a pussy. All the shit McMahon's pulled on him and all the skits he's been made fun of in and this is how he goes out? Passive- aggressively blogging on how "Some may feel it's not in their best interest that I remain in broadcasting, I do not share that belief." If that's the case, he should sack up and go to TNA where he will I guarantee get Hogan/Flair treatment, otherwise he needs to shut the fuck up and take his desk job.

Wait...What? JR's the bad guy for not having a hissyfit or storming off to another company? Far as I can tell, all he did was address rumours. If he harps about that, then maybe I could see an argument, but so far, this doesn't particularly seem very passive-aggressive. It could be he's still hoping to work something out and is commenting in such a way as to neither burn bridges with his current company nor give the impression he's intent on hanging up the headphones.

Next Big Thing
05-02-2010, 12:27 PM
If a professional athlete was running to his blog/ twitter updating about every twist and turn during contract negotiations and how the team wants to change his role people would be bitching and complaining. This is no different and there's no need for it. Rumors are customary in any profession of a public nature yet most don't feel compelled to blog about it every two days. Also, leaving for another company in a respectful manner isn't burning bridges, it's business. I think Vince would respect JR more for saying, "I still want to do commentary, so I'm going to try other opportunities" as opposed to pussy statements such as "Some may feel it's not in their best interest that I remain in broadcasting, I do not share that belief." That comment is a pot shot, not an update.

KayfabeMan
05-02-2010, 05:36 PM
BY GAWD!

Xero
05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
bah*

Blue Demon
05-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Kane Knight, you're a <s>douche</s> bitch.

Jakob Synn
05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
He should work backstage for the WWE and only do commentary for Wrestlemania.

FourFifty
05-02-2010, 07:08 PM

That's a lot of ass....

Beauser
05-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I want Tony Schiovane back...

NeanderCarl
05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I will defend JR a little... yes he's had an uninspiring product to announce for years now, and he's had uninspiring broadcast partners... The King partnership had simply grown stale (and Lawler's castration as an edgy announcer didn't help) and nobody else he was paired with (bar Foley, for a very short period) brought anything to the table.

While you could say JR's time has passed, a lot of people felt the same way in 2001, and then Paul Heyman showed up, lit a fire under him, and we got some of the best Jim Ross commentary since the hight of the Attitude era.

Would JR be better in TNA? Well, the jury's out... on the one hand, he'll be back with Tazz, who is shit. On the other hand, he will have something to prove - that he still belongs, that he's still the best in the game - and that fire will be lit once more.

If only TNA could convince Heyman to jump on board, and if only they had the balls to take Tazz away from the mic, I definitely think a JR/Heyman team would add a lot to TNA's presentation.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh, I see. This has nothing to do with Jim Ross and everything to do with crying about me.

I'm sorry, I thought there was actually something to this.

My bad.

But while I'm on the subject anyway, and I know you will take no interest in this because it's not about bitching about how horrible I am, JR's job is to be the hype man. If he can't hype a shitty product, he shouldn't be onscreen, especially if the shitty product is what's being sold now. Making excuses for why he doesn't do his job doesn't mean he's not doing his job, and there are tons of people who would kill to take his place and probably treat it more seriously than he does.

But it's even funnier, given JR's positions in terms of talent relations over the years. I wonder how many of these people he's had a direct hand in, but can't seem to get excited over. Oh, but you see, it's not his fault, because....Ummmm....

Yeah, get back to me on that. You know, if you can stop whining about me long enough to get back to the blatant apologetics.

Also, not having a nostalgia chubby for King doesn't mean you don't have one for JR, but I wouldn't want that to get in your way. There are people who are nostalgic for 80s Flair but not 80s Hogan. It's okay. Cry about how mean Kane Knight is, and maybe your severe logic failing won't seem so bad.

You aren't mean, you're just a clown

Anyways, I'm sorry, but when HHH is having sex with a corpse on live television, it's hard to hype. Shitty product is shitty product.

You name me one guy who can call a big match like JR can and "hype" it as you say, and I won't tell you that you're full of shit. He's the only guy around other than MAYBE Striker who knows how to put over an epic situation. Yeah he's not as good as he was in the 90s and early 2000s but he's better than everyone else.

tjmidnight420
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
If only TNA could convince Heyman to jump on board, and if only they had the balls to take Tazz away from the mic, I definitely think a JR/Heyman team would add a lot to TNA's presentation.

If that ever happened, I'd say a 3 man broadcast: JR, Tazz, and Heyman. Tazz would have no choice but to get better, and with two of the best ever on either side of him it wouldn't take long. I think they'd mesh really well and would be interesting to see JR with two heel color guys.

DAMN iNATOR
05-04-2010, 08:46 AM
That's a lot of ass....

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BTk2zF9gM5U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BTk2zF9gM5U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Oh, yeah...:yes: I went there!