PDA

View Full Version : Tyson back in wrestling

Dave Youell
04-16-2004, 08:41 AM
http://www.deathvalleydriver.com

*K-1 announced today that they have officially signed Mike Tyson for three fights with the Japanese based promotion. Tyson signed on 4/11 and will be in attendance, but not fighting at K-1's "Battle at the Bellagio II" show on 4/30 in Las Vegas. It is believed that Tyson's first fight with the group will be around 7/31. Due to visa issues, Tyson will not be fighting in Japan. K-1 is looking at his first fight to take place at either Madison Square Garden in New York or the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's probably gonna be fighting Bob Sapp then

The Ravishing One
04-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Should be interesting

The CyNick
04-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Tyson vs Sapp in Japan would make so much money.

I know K-1 is trying to break into the US, and I guess Tyson is the right guy to do it with. But I question whether or not he will ever get in the ring for K-1.

Also, the people in the States dont really care about Bob sapp like they do in Japan, so I dont know how well the show would do here.

KayfabeMan
04-16-2004, 02:26 PM
They need to get a promotional machine around Sapp here in the US. If they use connections with people who are fans of those types of contests,they could get Sapp on TV shows,radio,etc.. and get him over,or at least get attention on him,and more importantly,on their promotion.

The Ravishing One
04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
They need to get a promotional machine around Sapp here in the US. If they use connections with people who are fans of those types of contests,they could get Sapp on TV shows,radio,etc.. and get him over,or at least get attention on him,and more importantly,on their promotion.

:y:

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-16-2004, 02:54 PM
I saw a video clip package of Bob Sapp highlights, hes a beast. I don't know how good Tyson is anymore, but it seems like Tyson isn't what he used to be. Tyson from the 80s would own.

"At K-1, what are you gonna do if Bob Sapp gets in your way?"
"I'm gonna knock him the **** out."

" He hassss sthpoken... COLD SSTONE"
^^^
anyone remember this?

PureHatred
04-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Seriously, anything Mike Tyson does gets national exposure and is guaranteed to sell PPV's. The fact that its Mike Tyson in a MMA...basically people would have no ****ing clue who Bob Sapp is ( they'd probably think its Warren's brother or something ) and they would still put out the $$$ to watch.

Funky Fly
04-16-2004, 04:32 PM
You know, I think when Goldberg looks in the mirror he sees Bob Sapp.

The CyNick
04-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Seriously, anything Mike Tyson does gets national exposure and is guaranteed to sell PPV's. The fact that its Mike Tyson in a MMA...basically people would have no ****ing clue who Bob Sapp is ( they'd probably think its Warren's brother or something ) and they would still put out the $$$ to watch.

I dont think Tyson has been drawing that well for boxing lately.

I think this might draw some curiosity because it will be billed as a MMA style fight (official rules aren't known yet). Its a rish for K-1 because they are passing up business in Japan to get their foot in the door in the US. Its not going to be easy.

PureHatred
04-16-2004, 07:53 PM
His last two PPV fights (according to boxing time.com):

Oct. 13 -- Lennox Lewis, Memphis: $103 Million in PPV revenue [note: this was a record at the time]

Feb. 22 -- Clifford Etienne, Memphis: $65 Million in PPV revenue

--Basically, Tyson is still the biggest draw in boxing, even though he's basically inactive.

Corkscrewed
04-17-2004, 01:44 AM
Hope it's not a hardcore/No DQ match...

Rob
04-17-2004, 04:27 PM
K-1 isn't wrestling. It's Kickboxing. You can make arguements for Pride and UFC being wrestling but K-1 certainly isn't.

Rob
04-17-2004, 04:29 PM
His last two PPV fights (according to boxing time.com):

Oct. 13 -- Lennox Lewis, Memphis: $103 Million in PPV revenue [note: this was a record at the time]

Feb. 22 -- Clifford Etienne, Memphis: $65 Million in PPV revenue

--Basically, Tyson is still the biggest draw in boxing, even though he's basically inactive.

Tyson gets a bigger cut of the revenue. Others out there draw more. And don't you think Lennox Lewis had a little something to do with the first draw?

I'd love to see actual buyrates though just to be sure. Not making out for a second Tyson isn't a draw because he is but I'd think Oscar De La Hoya is a bigger draw.

PureHatred
04-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Lewis was a reason for the first match's drawing power. But he's made nowhere near that amount of PPV money with any other opponent.

De La Hoya draws when he has good opponents. Tyson can still draw even if you match him up with relative no-names.

Rob
04-18-2004, 10:05 AM
De La Hoya doesn't fight no names like Tyson does. And even when he fights guys that only the hardcore boxing public knows about, he still draws.

Tornado
04-18-2004, 10:37 AM
I hope Sapp knocks Tyson on his ass in the first round.

Rob
04-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I hope Sapp knocks Tyson on his ass in the first round.

That ain't happening.