PDA

View Full Version : Would a Stone Cold Vs Cena match at WM be more epic than Rock Vs Hogan?

Rollermacka
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Simple question, if Austin started getting back into wrestling shape now, and later this year started building up a feud between a heel Stone Cold and John Cena. If there was a match at next year's Wrestlemania, would the match be bigger than Hogan Vs Rock was at Wrestlemania 18?

Xero
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
No. Cena is no where near Rock and Hogan's level.

XCaliber
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Got 3 words for ya: NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Anybody Thrilla
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
If you're insinuating that you could get Steve Austin over as a HEEL against JOHN CENA in today's landscape, I'm going to simply suggest that you put down your crack pipe and maybe seek some help.

Anybody Thrilla
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Beyond that though, no, it would not be nearly as big as The Rock/Hogan. Austin is SORTA close to Hogan, I guess, but Cena is nowhere near The Rock outside of the WWE's mind.

The Franchise
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Added to Thrilla's last post -- wrestling was far more popular back during Hogan/Rock.

kareru
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
cena vs hogan would be better
the battle of the wrestlers that can't actually wrestle but get over due to personality and merch sales to kiddies match.

The Franchise
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Rock vs Austin playing chess would probably be more entertaining than anything involving Cena and/or Hogan

jskinnyg
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
cena vs hogan would be better
the battle of the wrestlers that can't actually wrestle but get over due to personality and merch sales to kiddies match.

At least it would be quick... 5 moves and... We're done... But who wins? they both do the "Hulk Up" thingy where they get the shit beat outta them and then miraculously get the "energy" to pull off two finishers and a pin for the win...

Jordan
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Austin vs Cena doesn't even make sense really... Unless this was a way for Vince to take care of a heel Cena.

Swiss Ultimate
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I honestly hated the Rock VS. Hogan match. :/
Feel like I'd hate the Austin VS. Cena match too considering that Austin'd be in the Hogan role. Maybe, 1998 Austin VS. 2005 Cena would be worth watching.

DarKCentaur
05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Cena vs Rock would be more compelling than Cena vs Austin

The Gold Standard
05-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Rock v Hogan was one of the best moments/matches I have seen based on crowd excitement, basically because no one expected that at all. There is no way the crowd gets into it as much.

Nicky Fives
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I did not care for Rock/Hogan, nor would I care about Austin/Cena..... had both of them been in their prime (which only can exist in theory) I might actually care..... unless I could use a time machine, my vote is "meh"

Jordan
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
If Austin were to come back and wrestle I would think Jericho would be the best choice.

ImAnIdiot
05-14-2010, 05:46 PM
i think a SCSA-Orton match would be more interesting... the way the WWE appears to be making Orton a new updated version of SCSA would make it all the more interesting...

Arashi Kage
05-14-2010, 06:00 PM
No way Austin - Cena would top Hogan - Rock.

I was there at Skydome, it was an atmosphere that I'll never forget.

As Ultimate Warrior says, "you cannot re-create something that is simply un-re-creatable". :shifty:

Tying into ABT and Franchise's posts - the fan culture has changed, it's a new generation of fans, those of us late 20's guys have moved on, and our golden era was 80's-early 90's WWF.

Hogan at WMX8 was a huge deal. The fans lined up outside the various gates had dug our their 12-15 year old Hulkster shirts and bandanas, it was a bit of reliving our childhoods. Canada is nWo / Hulkamania country and the crowd represented.

Most old Austin fans probably wouldn't realize if he made a return, and the young generation of Cena fans wouldn't be too familiar with Austin. In contrast to 2001, most of us who grew up with the Hulkster were still following wrestling at that time.

Jakob Synn
05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Probably not considering the time gap between when Austin left and now. If it were sooner than maybe, but right now it'd feel too forced and contrived.

Damian Rey
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
No way Austin - Cena would top Hogan - Rock.

Most old Austin fans probably wouldn't realize if he made a return, and the young generation of Cena fans wouldn't be too familiar with Austin. In contrast to 2001, most of us who grew up with the Hulkster were still following wrestling at that time.

Yes. A lot of the Austin era fans are gone. Yes, there's going to be the few who've stayed around, but look at the mass majority in crowds these days. All children. All whom have only a slight clue, if any, as to who Austin is and how much he means to the business.

With that said, I think Rock Cena is a bigger draw. Cena's already taken some shots at him, both subtle and blatant. The Rock, unlike Austin, is still relevant in mainstream. Hell, I'd be willing to bet he's more maintream relevant than Cena, in large part due to his Disney films.

Emperor Smeat
05-14-2010, 10:52 PM
No mostly because of how spontaneous and random the crowd turned on the Rock and how it caught everyone off guard. Whole lead up into the feud had the fans cheering the Rock and then the switch occurred out of nowhere.

Same for Lesnar vs Goldberg where the crowd torn apart both wrestlers while cheering Stone Cold or Hogan revealing to be part of the NwO where it made the crowd very hostile in reaction.

FourFifty
05-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Looking at Hogan and Austin down the line and it would have been close. A lot of people loathe Hogan now for what he has done to today's scene. You'll have a great split crowd as the younger fans are cheering for Cena, and the older ones for Austin. That match, and the months of tv14 actions and promos leading up to that match, could reinforce the gap between the attitude era and today's fans. Let's face it- We'll need that gap reinforced soon. Triple H is injury prone, along with The Undertaker, and how many other solid main eventers are left from that era?
On film it won't be as epic, but the aftershocks will be AMAZING!