PDA

View Full Version : Would it be racist if Shad had a "prisioner" gimmick?

Rollermacka
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
I had heard a wrestling rumor that originally Harlem Heat were going to debut in chains led to the ring by Col. Robert Parker.... I dont think that would have went over too well in the mid 90's. I have read that Shad had a similar gimmick while he was in development, and I know that the "prisioner" gimmick hasnt worked very well in the past. Do you think that Shad could be that mean, scary, vicious heel prision character?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnPvswMVADA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnPvswMVADA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KeXhIpOLyyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KeXhIpOLyyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
That Harlem Heat thing didn't sound like prison as much as slavery.

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Actually, the Cryme Tyme gimmick was probably more racist than this would be.

Nicky Fives
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM

This. However, Shad does need a gimmick. The whole "my time" bit isn't working for me.....

Kane Knight
05-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
This. However, Shad does need a gimmick. The whole "my time" bit isn't working for me.....

He hasn't really had time to do anything with it yet. I'm giving it a little more time before I form an opinion. I will say that I do enjoy his new theme song, though.

BillyBonez
05-18-2010, 08:52 PM
It wouldnt be racist but it would be mad stupid. Shad has been around all this time then suddenly "hey guys he was a prisoner". That makes zero sense and is mad dumb.

I like where Shad is going right now. Actually they should give him a theme like "My Time" for HHH, maybe even use that theme again, it would really make him stand out.

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
What if JTG ratted Shad out for all the stuff they used to steal to get revenge on him? Send Shad to jail for a while and have him return eventually as a hardened criminal as opposed to a happy-go-lucky one. It wouldn't be an IMPOSSIBLE transition, but I still don't think I would like to see it.

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I always thought it 'Just That Gangsta', but anyway, maybe JTG got out of time because he ratted. Not that any of this is going to happen anyway.

DAMN iNATOR
05-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Well in that case, Just Too Good would surely go down for his part in the crimes aswel, so now both are in prison..

No, because (at least what I must assume is the reasoning behind this) what ABT was getting at was a hypothetical situation where JTG would make Shad the fall guy for EVERYTHING, meaning JTG would get off the hook scott-free. Surprised I even needed to explain that simple concept.

Next Big Thing
05-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Harlem Heat did debut in chains. To me, Cryme Tyme had to have been one of the most offensive gimmicks in recent memory, but I think the last thing WWE wants to follow that up with is a big black man in prison gimmick.

What the fuck is he gonna do, be a spin off of the old Republican Willie Horton commercials? I can see it now, "After I kill this cracker in the ring, I'm smoking me some crack and raping every white wife I see while I'm out stealing hub caps." Dumbest idea ever.

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 09:59 PM
And they were criminals.

Wishbone
05-18-2010, 11:10 PM
meh this gimmik would be alright but it's very limmited in terms of longterm usfulness where as his current 'gimmik' if you can call it that is very open to change and could go alot farther IMO

Anybody Thrilla
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
yes THEY were

I meant in terms of Cryme Tyme being offensive, not in terms of the storyline that I made up just to make the prisoner idea work. Stop being a cock.

Juan
05-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh fuckin hell, grow a cock and balls will ya?! Chris Rock is wayyyyyy more offensive and racist than fucking Cryme Tyme! Cryme Tyme aren't even offensive as stereotypes because nothing they did was offensive, they just talked like black guys talk

Are you capable of arguing with people without resorting to name-calling? You would make a terrible lawyer.

thedamndest
05-18-2010, 11:29 PM
http://monsterscifishow.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/patrick-in-the-prisoner.jpg
I am not a number. I am a person.

Supreme Olajuwon
05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Are you capable of arguing with people without resorting to name-calling? You would make a terrible lawyer.

Yeah what a dickhead

Johnny Vegas
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Why do you guys even respond to HBKunt, he's the biggest loser on TPWW. I'd rather see a "Best Of TPWW: Zeeboe" thread.

FourFifty
05-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Shad should just beat the hell out of R-Truth and jump to Raw as the new Virgil. Let's face it.

THIS
http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/shad_gaspard_wrestler.jpg
can kick your ass without breaking a sweat.

THIS
http://www.skapiso.com/tofs/virgil.jpg
..........yea....... real scary.....

Lock Jaw
05-19-2010, 01:10 AM
http://monsterscifishow.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/patrick-in-the-prisoner.jpg
I am not a number. I am a person.

That's what I was thinking when I read the thread title.

Afterlife
05-19-2010, 05:52 AM
I always thought it 'Just That Gangsta', but anyway, maybe JTG got out of time because he ratted. Not that any of this is going to happen anyway.

As did I. However, Striker called him "Just That Good" in his tag match with MVP.

Juan
05-19-2010, 06:04 AM
As did I. However, Striker called him "Just That Good" in his tag match with MVP.

It's amazing what you learn when you actually watch Smackdown.

Anybody Thrilla
05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I watch Smackdown every week. Even still, how many times has Striker just made up names for people?

Mr. Nerfect
05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I watch Smackdown every week. Even still, how many times has Striker just made up names for people?

I agree with that. You'll probably hear more "JTG" slogans Striker will slap on him in coming weeks.

Personally, I feel that Shad Gaspard has got what he needs to be a complete package in the WWE. He's got charisma, he's got an imposing physique, a legitimate background and he can talk when he needs to (although he shouldn't do it all the time). This "my time" gimmick isn't really working, though. I think a lot of it has to do with the sort of booking they do on SmackDown! where everyone sort of looks good. The matches are more competitve, etc. so that the loser also looks good. The most I've enjoyed Shad recently was when he destroyed that jobber (a guy Striker actually talked up and gave a middle name to).

I'd take a slow-burn approach with Gaspard. He needs a better theme (and apparently he has been using one at house shows), and he needs to walk over guys in squash matches for weeks and weeks. Have him keep count of the guys he destroys. We haven't really had a proper "Goldberg streak" in a while. Eventually, have a face call him out on not actually beating Superstars, which prompts Gaspard to destroy them. From there, you can move him up. For some reason, I really want to see a program between him and The Undertaker -- and I am not the biggest Taker fan.

Afterlife
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM
It's amazing what you learn when you actually watch Smackdown.

Every week. :y:

Rollermacka
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
It wouldnt be racist but it would be mad stupid. Shad has been around all this time then suddenly "hey guys he was a prisoner". That makes zero sense and is mad dumb.

Of course because WWE would never just randomly change storylines or names and not recognize who they were before...

Kane Knight
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Not to mention how many times they haven't been on the same page.

Though I'm not weighing in on what it stands for, just the inconsistency.

Anybody Thrilla
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I heard that is actually stands for Jiggly Toed Goblin. Interesting.

Kane Knight
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
not Jelly-Twist Gingerbread?

Next Big Thing
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
THIS
http://www.skapiso.com/tofs/virgil.jpg
..........yea....... real scary.....

I can't believe you of all people would continue to perpetuate this stupid IWC rumor and photo of Vincent/ Virgil "appearing" to not have fans. The reason no one is at Virgil's booth is because it's 6 a.m. and the convention didn't start until 9. Virgil was just getting in the zone. :shifty:

Vince brought him back in hopes that it would eventually lead to Virgil finally accepting an HOF invitation. Comparing Shad to him is like comparing a turd to a big pile of bullshit... you can flush Shad, but Virgil is the fertilizer to the careers of both Dibiases.

CSL
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
ahahahaha 'Vince brought him back in hopes that it would eventually lead to Virgil finally accepting an HOF invitation'. He'd probably take a shot in the throat for that spot, Vince doesn't need to convince him do to shit.

Kane Knight
05-19-2010, 04:35 PM
ahahahaha 'Vince brought him back in hopes that it would eventually lead to Virgil finally accepting an HOF invitation'. He'd probably take a shot in the throat for that spot, Vince doesn't need to convince him do to shit.

He'd probably do a "Two Wrestlers, One Cup" Video for that spot.

illmatic
05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Why do you guys even respond to HBKunt, he's the biggest loser on TPWW. I'd rather see a "Best Of TPWW: Zeeboe" thread.

He has to be the most cocky 12 year old I have ever seen. It is actually rather annoying. If he cannot win an argument, he resorts to name calling. The true sign of a ignorant immature loser.

Mr. Nerfect
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
I marked out for the "Virgil" chants on RAW, to be honest. I can't see the WWE keeping him around for a long time, as he is just not imposing. I could see R-Truth getting into his head about being his own man, or something, so Virgil turns on Teddy -- which could be considered his "moment" in an attempt to get him past being that "man-servant" guy. It would be a nice little send-off for him.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Virgil already had his 'moment' when he turned on Ted Sr. and won the Million Dollar belt. That was the apex of his career, and he was virtually useless after that. He doesn't need another moment. That was it...it was great...but that was it.

Mr. Nerfect
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
But the fact is Virgil is back. He seems to be more associated with Ted, Sr. than against him, though.

Evil Vito
05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, I don't think Virgil will last past this PPV. The most likely scenario seems to be Virgil was just being Ted Jr's man-servant guy for a week as a set-up. He can turn on Ted Jr. to give R-Truth the win.

Then on Raw R-Truth can be attacked by Michael Tarver, who accepts the position as Ted's new assistant.</font>