PDA

View Full Version : Has Cena been hit or miss in anyone else's opinion of late?

Kane Knight
06-01-2010, 12:36 AM
This isn't a "Cena Sucks" deal. When he's been on of late, I think he's really been on. But it seems to me like there have been some nights where it'd be generous to say he was phoning it in, at least on the mic. Maybe it's out of his control, or something like fatigue. Maybe he really isn't as into it those nights. Whatever.

Never sure what to say abotu a topic like this, because I'm always readily certain people will infer that I'm "hating" on Cena, when if he wasn't doing a good job at least sometimes, I'd have no real reason to notice or complain when he wasn't. I'm mostly wondering if anyone else sees it this way, that it seems like some nights Cena's been giving 110% and some nights more like 70. Numbers are arbitrary, sentiment is not.

tjmidnight420
06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
I tend to agree, KK, and I think it's getting worse.

BigCrippyZ
06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Now, I'm not a fan of Cena to begin with, but I can recognize the guy's work ethic, dedication, and the fact that when he's good, he's good. It's not even Cena the worker I hate, it's Cena the character. A lot of his promo's are really good, and if his character were more appealing to me as an adult, I'd probably be a huge Cena mark.

That being said, I do agree with you that lately he has been phoning it in on the mic at least, and IMO, it's occurring more frequently. I would like to think, and hope, that it's just a result him being both bored, and limited with his character due to the PG era writing. I haven't noticed much of a decline in his in ring work, but maybe that's because I usually tune in and out during Cena matches.

Favre4Ever
06-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Despite hating Cena's guts I'll try to answer this as fairly as possible.

Yes, I've seen it happen on several occasions over the past two years. I just think it's the inevitable result of several factors, including A.) Having a move set that can be counted on one hand, B.) Not only being the "face" of the company but being fed every other person who works for it on a consistent basis, and C.) Being on the road for over 300+ days a year.

Those are the main things I think could be a factor. A sense of "entitlement" now that he's "the man", feeling superior to other performers just because he always gets to go over them, and working such a draining schedule that he's deciding for himself which matches he's in have the most value and which have the least value and performing as such.

jskinnyg
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Simply put... The guy needs a serious vacation...

BigCrippyZ
06-01-2010, 01:07 PM

I think a vacation and coming back with a new gimmick would refresh his batteries. Nothing drastic, but something to give him a reason and purpose to give 110% again.

Jordan
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't see it. First I am not a Cena fan boy, nor Cena hater. I respect him and what he does, and I find him entertaining about 50% of the time. He is always going to pull out all of the stops on PPV's but like KK said, it's true he is over worked probably. He could use some time off, but he's not going to get it soon it seems. Unless he gets injured.

BillyBonez
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
They should have Cena ditch his current persona and say he is sick and tired of being the face of the company because it gets him no respect and say that he is going to demand him removed from company merchandise etc and start attacking WWE officials and basically become a stone cold. Still a face but like a lose cannon mad man gimmick.

.44 Magdalene
06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
They should have Cena ditch his current persona and say he is sick and tired of being the face of the company because it gets him no respect and say that he is going to demand him removed from company merchandise etc and start attacking WWE officials and basically become a stone cold. Still a face but like a lose cannon mad man gimmick.

This is never going to happen ever

XCaliber
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
He's good at trying to get the fans pump but substance wise his promos have been majorly lacking pretty much since he lost the US Championship and hasn't been the same since.

Kane Knight
06-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Even if they don't repackage him or turn him heel, some time off might be enough to get him back up again. Plus, if they gave him an onscreen injury, it could be something that would give a boost to a heel, say, Sheamus (feller), and set up a monster face moment when he returns.

Seems like it'd work even into WWE's scheme of "push Cena. Period."

Aguakate
06-02-2010, 02:34 AM
...Undertaker's been "hit or miss" for like 4 years now and no one seems to be bothered by that.

...sometimes it seems like he cares...other times it seems he's like "Let's just do this and get it over with".

.44 Magdalene
06-02-2010, 02:40 AM
...Undertaker's been "hit or miss" for like 4 years now and no one seems to be bothered by that.

...sometimes it seems like he cares...other times it seems he's like "Let's just do this and get it over with".

I think Undertaker's sporadic laziness has been mentioned a couple of times, actually, from what I can recall. He brings it when he brings it, but the other half of the time he's just sorta there for the paycheck. He sort of swings in and out of it. It helps when he stays off camera for a majority of the time, since he's less likely to half ass a match if he only wrestles every so often.

.44 Magdalene
06-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Though to be fair, Undertaker being lazy still puts on a better show than most of the roster at their best.

Jordan
06-02-2010, 02:48 AM
And he has wrestled for 20 years and is injured as fuck.

Aguakate
06-02-2010, 02:50 AM
And he has wrestled for 20 years and is injured as fuck.

Undertaker is in danger of joining the ranks of Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan, in terms of not knowing when to hang it up...or not accepting that it's time to hang it up...heck, just HANGING IT UP, PERIOD. In the last 4 or so years, the only 2 matches that he's had that have been awesome, were the last 2 WM's...and all because of HBK, let's be honest.

Jordan
06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Sure he may be in that league of Flair and Hogan, but Taker is only 45, Flair and Hogan are in their 50's or 60's. Taker should have another limited 2 year run, maybe just one, but hopefully two more.

Favre4Ever
06-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Even if they don't repackage him or turn him heel, some time off might be enough to get him back up again. Plus, if they gave him an onscreen injury, it could be something that would give a boost to a heel, say, Sheamus (feller), and set up a monster face moment when he returns.

Seems like it'd work even into WWE's scheme of "push Cena. Period."

I've got a feeling that with the loss of HBK and Batista and injuries to Trips and The Undertaker, we won't be seeing Cena going anywhere anytime soon.

Sixx
06-10-2010, 07:10 AM

He doesn't have the look for such gimmick. Too "cute".

tjmidnight420
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
In the last 4 or so years, the only 2 matches that he's had that have been awesome, were the last 2 WM's

I got just one question: Has it actually been four years since the Taker/ Angle WHC match?

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
We'll see how burnt out he is in this nXt angle. If he comes out and cuts the same bullshit promo he always does about the nXt guys, you know he doesn't care... if he adds some fire, well you'll know his passion is still there.

Favre4Ever
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure Cena is really going to end up being in the mix during this NXT-WWE feud, I think that might have just happened to get them over. It's probably more likely that they'll feud with guys like Morrison/Miz.

Then again last time I saw something like this Monday was 9 years ago with the whole WCW/ECW thing, so frankly I kinda have no idea where this is going.

Just seems like common sense that we won't see main event matches like Cena vs. Skip Sheffield.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure Cena is really going to end up being in the mix during this NXT-WWE feud, I think that might have just happened to get them over. It's probably more likely that they'll feud with guys like Morrison/Miz.

Then again last time I saw something like this Monday was 9 years ago with the whole WCW/ECW thing, so frankly I kinda have no idea where this is going.

Just seems like common sense that we won't see main event matches like Cena vs. Skip Sheffield.

One would imagine that they'd wanna have the actual workers like Gabriel and Danielson, as well as the voice of Barret do most of the work. I'd imagine you'd have the other guys in the mid card and come interfere in main events.... that being if the angle was to work out.

BillyBonez
06-10-2010, 02:30 PM
He doesn't have the look for such gimmick. Too "cute".

So? They can change how he looks, have him wear a mask, add facepaint, grow out a beard etc. In fact Cena wih a beard would look mad badass...