PDA

View Full Version : NeoGeo Battle Collesium

Fignuts
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Picked this up on live the other day. Surprised Kalyx hasn't made a thread on it. Seems pretty solid. Love that the robot monkey from King of Monsters is in it.

Kalyx triaD
06-18-2010, 10:31 PM
This game is awesome.

G
06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Was going to come in and make a witty comment on how you're 2 for 2 now with games Kalyx hasn't made a thread on yet.

Kalyx triaD
06-19-2010, 01:55 AM
As per a number of complaints, I'll slow down the traffic. Report on less games but venture deeper into what I do post about. Reasonable balance.

RoXer
06-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Don't let BDC and Kane Knight rule your life

Kalyx triaD
06-19-2010, 02:03 AM
They're on ignore, but Has and Fig voiced similar comments. When respectable posters talk I tend to listen.

I've been riffing about making this VG forum a different experience for me, anyway. Dropping out of the tourny is partially related.

But just so we're sure, fuck KK and BDC.

Funky Fly
06-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Fuck dropping out. If I'm gonna be the champ, I wanna beat the old champ to do so. :mad:

Funky Fly
06-19-2010, 02:05 AM
And fuck bitching about all the coverage. When it's detailed and frequently updated, that's a good thing.

Kalyx triaD
06-19-2010, 02:09 AM
Fuck dropping out. If I'm gonna be the champ, I wanna beat the old champ to do so. :mad:

Can't I just be a special post-event challenge or something?

Funky Fly
06-19-2010, 02:12 AM
:'(

Kalyx triaD
06-19-2010, 02:15 AM
That a yeah?

RoXer
06-19-2010, 02:18 AM
No

Funky Fly
06-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Oh yeah, I have this. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, tho.

Kalyx triaD
06-19-2010, 03:26 AM
This game is honestly an overlooked gem. It's a fun, well paced take on the tag-team style. Very welcome controls and altered motions for moves. I can do Geese's Rising Storm and Deadly Rave nearly on command now. Some of the combo regulation seems heavy handed but SNK knows better than me.

Fignuts
06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
To be clear, I never complained about how you post in here. I just made fun of of you for it.

tee-hee

Fignuts
06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Definitely SNK bosses though.

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Fuckin Goodman.

Blitz
06-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Didn't even know this was on Live. Might have to pick it up.

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah you might fuckin have to.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
STOP POSTING HERE/BUMMING EACH OTHER AND GIVE ME SOME MS POINTS YOU FUCKS

I don't wanna wait until Friday :'(

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
IGN has a completely ass review article for this game. File it under "reasons IGN totally sucks dick now". I'm even talking about the score, of which I can give a fuck about, but the points he used were just terrible.

Funky Fly
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
IGN has a completely ass review article for this game. File it under "reasons IGN totally sucks dick now". I'm even talking about the score, of which I can give a fuck about, but the points he used were just terrible.

Elaborate or link, man.

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I'll quote it, I got nothing better to do. Hold on...

Funky Fly
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Wanna Street Fighter it up, later?

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Now, the game is finally making its debut on Xbox Live, and it couldn't have been more poorly timed. The past two years have been an absolute godsend for the fighting game genre, with phenomenal titles like (Super) Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Tekken 6 and even a slick remake of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. It baffles me why NeoGeo Battle Coliseum took so long to make the jump over to the digital download scene.

Let's ignore that this ridiculous point against the game could be used for every digital rerelease ever, but does the length of time it took to come seriously baffles him? Really? Does he even know SNK embraced digital releases more than Capcom, and the process isn't exactly uploading a fucking photo on Facebook. The beginning of a stupid written review.

And although the game has some fairly rewarding fighting mechanics, its lack of polish and the superiority of its recent peers make it much less exciting.

Hey, let's compare a two (actually 3) year old game with Blazblue. That is so fair! Idiot.

Like many other fighters out there, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is brimming with special moves, super moves, throws, cancels, guards and all other manner of crazy techniques that will probably scare away gamers not intimately familiar with traditional 2D combat. Battle Coliseum does very little to introduce players to these concepts, as there's no tutorial or instruction given to newbies outside of the sparse "How to Play" section in the options menu.

That How to Play section is not only digital release standard, but very few games actually 'teach' you how to play them. The only fighting game that did so seriously was Soulcalbur 3's training mode. Otherwise NGBC's training mode is exactly what the other fighting games have (including those he praised above). SNK fighters usually have more options within their training mode sections. Now this guy's giving misinformation. Moving on...

The unfortunate thing about Battle Coliseum is that the default controller (a 360 pad) is still one of the worst controllers for a fighting game, as the d-pad is a spawn of the Dark Lord himself. This won't be a problem for those hardcore fighting game fans that own 27 different fighting sticks, but this is huge deterrent for more casual players that usually game with a standard pad. When I tried to play with a controller, I found the game to be stiff and uncomfortable. Our resident fighting game enthusiast Mark Ryan Sallee was much happier with a stick.

This is not a NGBC issue, it's a general 'fighting games on XB360' issue. That he wrote this as a specific problem with NGBC is where I got pissed. BTW, I play this game with XB360's thumbstick, as well as all other fighters now, his lack of adaptation should not have a bearing on this game. That's like saying one of AssCreed's issues is my sticky R-Trigger.

But the worst thing about NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is what's happening on screen. Not only is this a nearly direct port of a two year-old PlayStation 2 game, but almost all the sprites are a lot older than 2008. What's worse: there are some hideous filters on the character sprites which give them a blurry, washed-out look that just doesn't work with an HD set. If you're going to use 2D sprites in your game, you might as well embrace the old-school nature of it all and not try and hide it underneath layers of disappointment.

Jesus.

First of all, you can't mark this game being a port of it's older self as a point of contention. I really don't have to tell you why that's especially asinine. Second, NGBC uses all original sprites. None ported from other games. None. Despite SNK's use of their old KoF sprites, they did not port them to this game. Nothing but new sprites. And that "blurry, washed out" look is optional, rendering that point moot by default. Fucking moron.

Although NeoGeo Battle Coliseum has plenty of characters, tag team attacks and a fair amount of potential for strategy against another player, its poor visuals, lack of polish and general stiffness make it a much less appetizing entry in the fighting game genre. For only five dollars more, players can download the legendary Marvel vs. Capcom 2 instead. I'd recommend that over Battle Coliseum any day.

NGBC is 100% a more legit fighter than MvC2. Way more balanced. MvC2 certainly has more hype factor, but the point is this asshole is in no place to make any recommendations. NGBC is a wonderfully animated, balanced, intuitive fighter made to reduce complexity for people like him. Since he's a moron reviewing a genre he doesn't get at all, we got a bawl fest and a 6.0 score. What gets me is some people will look at that and think, "Six? Anything under 9 is fail I'll go play MvC2 instead," and miss out on one of SNK's best fighters. But really it isn't the score it's the fucking stupid points.

Kalyx triaD
06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Wanna Street Fighter it up, later?

Not home, in Miami. And where I am down here the TV got stolen so I can't log on and game. Be back up Monday. Maybe get some NGBC in, too.

Funky Fly
06-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I'll not be taking that online for a while, sadly. I'd like to actually familiarize myself with it first.

Kalyx triaD
06-21-2010, 01:57 AM
You can do that online with player matches.

Blitz
06-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Bought. Mizuchi is fucking the most broken boss I've ever seen.

Funky Fly
06-22-2010, 02:18 AM
SNK Bosses are like that... a lot.

Blitz
06-22-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm aware. But this is bad even by SNK standards. Could barely touch the guy on the lowest possible setting.