PDA

View Full Version : The Rey Mysterio Appreciation Thread

SaskatchewanChamp
06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
On Sunday, Rey Mysterio became a 2 time world champion. That being said, and I know not all of you reading this thread like Mysterio, is he some what of a pioneer when it comes to little guys winning the big one?

Personally, I have always admired Rey for taking the bumps he takes night in and night out, which is too be expected because of the man's size. Also for his ability to put on amazing matches against some of the top performers in the business.

This being said, does Rey's title win open the gate for other "small" wrestlers, such as Evan Bourne ( The cheap man's Rey IMO.) and yes, even a guy like Bryan Danielson?

This is gonna be off topic but, when Michael Cole, and Jerry Lawler (I refuse to call him The King, because he is a shadow of his former self) said that the champion has a 25% chance in a fatal four way match, this I understand. However, seeing as how there was 4 title matches ( including the US Title match from the Raw previous), the statistics these clowns were yapping about all night on Sunday say that One champion should have retained his title out of the four. So :foc: Cole and Lawler. That's my rant, but seriously what are your thoughts on Rey?

Juan
06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea7T7DUWciI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ea7T7DUWciI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uoAoH27QGBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uoAoH27QGBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Juan
06-23-2010, 07:52 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PTqqJvM8cqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PTqqJvM8cqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOJEX6w8OkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOJEX6w8OkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Legacy
06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Why does Vince vacate the title every few years? there's my appreciation

SaskatchewanChamp
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't get it?

Juan
06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Let me break it down for you, SaskatchewanChamp...

There's this hilarious running joke in the wrestling forum that Mysterio's first title run never happened, so that means this current reign isn't happening either.

Enjoy

Schlomey
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
i liked Rey in WCW until he took off the mask and went all ghetto and shit.

I liked most of his work on Smackdown for a long time.

When he got drafted to RAW 2 years ago I started to despise him. EVERY match and feud was him vs a monster..It got so tired.

Since returning to Smackdown he has been one of the stand out stars on the brand.

He should NOT be a world champion but I see why they did it. The kids love the shit out of him and make pots of money on his masks. Whatever.

His WCW work was pretty great most days especially against Malenko, Jericho & Psychosis.

SaskatchewanChamp
06-23-2010, 08:51 PM

There's this hilarious running joke in the wrestling forum that Mysterio's first title run never happened, so that means this current reign isn't happening either.

Enjoy

Umm... O.K?

Juan
06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Dunno how to explain it any clearer, champ.

Jordan
06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Rey is a legend, he's a future Hall of Famer, and he get's the shit kicked out of him every night. I don't know how much longer he wants to go, but he has created quite a legacy.

SaskatchewanChamp
06-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Dunno how to explain it any clearer, champ.

Are they delusional? Or is it just one of those "Cena" type jokes?

Juan
06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
The last one

teamXtremist
06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
all hail rey rey

Gertner
06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Horrible. I hope Swagger defends his belt against Taker at Summerslam.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
how do people complain when creative, whether it be WWE or TNA, rehash storylines but 90% of the time Rey Mysterio's storyline is the same. OMG the oppenent is bigger and stronger than Rey....its David vs. Goliath...how will Rey over come these odds!? gimme a fuckin break Mysterio sucks.

Juan
06-24-2010, 01:07 AM
how do people complain when creative, whether it be WWE or TNA, rehash storylines but 90% of the time Rey Mysterio's storyline is the same. OMG the oppenent is bigger and stronger than Rey....its David vs. Goliath...how will Rey over come these odds!? gimme a fuckin break Mysterio sucks.

Sounds like you're gripe is with the booking, not Rey. Unless I missed something and Rey started booking.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 01:18 AM
apparently all rey does is complain and gets what he wants...its been reported numerous times that if he doesn't like what they have him scripted to do he will bitch and complain till he gets his way...they made him champ now to appease his complaints about money and such and ziggler was supposed to win the IC title from him last year but he bitched and cried that he didnt want to give up the title so ziggler never got his chance...rey sells a lot of merch thats the only reason he is still there

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Sounds like you're gripe is with the booking, not Rey. Unless I missed something and Rey started booking.

in john cenas case its not the man its the booking...in mysterios case its both

The Legacy
06-24-2010, 01:28 AM

Enjoy

1st title run????? thats right you mean Eddie's 2nd title run

Juan
06-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Whatever you say, boss

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 01:35 AM
hes a selfish prick with the same story most of the time....he can wrestle which is a shame that all that talent is wasted on a guy like that

Juan
06-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I believe you. Chill out

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't get Rey hate.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't get Rey hate.

how dont you...he injures people now with his stupid knee braces...he complains till he gets his way...he only gets title runs due to misfortunes of others...its really hard not to hate him actually....

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Eh. Just don't see any reason to hate him.

The Legacy
06-24-2010, 01:54 AM
My distaste for Rey comes from using Eddie's death to get the title. Rey was one of my favorites before that

Juan
06-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Yeah, that was totally his idea.

The Legacy
06-24-2010, 01:57 AM
didnt say it was his idea. but he could have told Vince that he wasn't comfortable doing it.

Juan
06-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Right

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Because Rey getting the title then was so...um...wrong.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 02:08 AM
its called the world HEAVYWEIGHT title...Rey is not a heavywieght and is not a very believable champion...im not letting WWE off the hook...their booking sucks most of the time but watching a self centered egotistical cruiserweight beat guys like Swagger, Big Show and Punk is not believable...hopefully when Taker comes back he breaks Rey's face into pieces in revenge.

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Wow.

Juan
06-24-2010, 02:12 AM
its called the world HEAVYWEIGHT title...Rey is not a heavywieght and is not a very believable champion...im not letting WWE off the hook...their booking sucks most of the time but watching a self centered egotistical cruiserweight beat guys like Swagger, Big Show and Punk is not believable...hopefully when Taker comes back he breaks Rey's face into pieces in revenge.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c6ImA-vA_8U/SYIWziifiBI/AAAAAAAAAB4/yDOaIRy4f-s/s320/Its-Still-Real-to-Me-Dammit.jpg

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Wow.

my exact reaction when he actually won

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 02:13 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c6ImA-vA_8U/SYIWziifiBI/AAAAAAAAAB4/yDOaIRy4f-s/s320/Its-Still-Real-to-Me-Dammit.jpg

where did you find that video of me! lol

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 02:16 AM
my exact reaction when he actually won

Did you miss the part where Vince has decided to start "adjusting" audiences to accepting smaller champions? Because he realized that his up and coming wrestling stars, like Kofi, Danielson and Bourne, are not big men? If not -- assuming you pay attention to things the way you claim -- why would it surprise you that the little guy won? Especially in a match that is designed for mayhem and NOT simply a one-on-one environment?

Again, I don't get all the Rey hate. Especially from goobers.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Did you miss the part where Vince has decided to start "adjusting" audiences to accepting smaller champions? Because he realized that his up and coming wrestling stars, like Kofi, Danielson and Bourne, are not big men? If not -- assuming you pay attention to things the way you claim -- why would it surprise you that the little guy won? Especially in a match that is designed for mayhem and NOT simply a one-on-one environment?

Again, I don't get all the Rey hate. Especially from goobers.

guess its just because i never like rey... like i said its more the selfishness of the man...i never cared for or against him until recent years when he became whiny...sorry if i offended you in some way by not liking a wrestler...im pretty sure i am the only one who doesnt like rey mysterio so i guess im alone here! lol o wait thats right a lot of people dont like him

Juan
06-24-2010, 02:20 AM
You seem to be the angriest one though.

tjmidnight420
06-24-2010, 02:21 AM
I liked Mysterio during his WCW run and the first part of his WWE run but come on now, you can hardly be considered World Heavyweight Champion if the belt is exactly* half your weight.

*Sarcasm genious, I didn't actually look it up.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 02:22 AM
im just angry at everyone tonight...not tryin to argue with you guys...bad night needed to let of some steam somewhere and a thread appreciating my least favorite wrestler seemd to be the place haha...well second least favorite...forgot bout R-Truth....

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 02:48 AM
guess its just because i never like rey... like i said its more the selfishness of the man...i never cared for or against him until recent years when he became whiny...sorry if i offended you in some way by not liking a wrestler...im pretty sure i am the only one who doesnt like rey mysterio so i guess im alone here! lol o wait thats right a lot of people dont like him

im just angry at everyone tonight...not tryin to argue with you guys...bad night needed to let of some steam somewhere and a thread appreciating my least favorite wrestler seemd to be the place haha...well second least favorite...forgot bout R-Truth....

So, we swiftly move from "I hate a stranger for his personality," to "I'm a sarcastic little penis," to "Sorry for causing a scene, I just can't handle negative emotions and lash out at people."

Interesting progression.

jskinnyg
06-24-2010, 04:34 AM
i liked Rey in WCW until he took off the mask and went all ghetto and shit.

I liked most of his work on Smackdown for a long time.

When he got drafted to RAW 2 years ago I started to despise him. EVERY match and feud was him vs a monster..It got so tired.

Since returning to Smackdown he has been one of the stand out stars on the brand.

He should NOT be a world champion but I see why they did it. The kids love the shit out of him and make pots of money on his masks. Whatever.

His WCW work was pretty great most days especially against Malenko, Jericho & Psychosis.

Schlomey said everything I was thinking... God I hope this doesn't mean we're alike...

jskinnyg
06-24-2010, 04:36 AM
how dont you...he injures people now with his stupid knee braces...he complains till he gets his way...he only gets title runs due to misfortunes of others...its really hard not to hate him actually....

Dammit.. The lil' bastard created his own 2nd reign because the 1st one didn't actually happen!! (In my best Chandler Bing voice...) I KNEW IT!!!

Juan
06-24-2010, 04:37 AM
you're weird.

jskinnyg
06-24-2010, 04:38 AM
you're weird.

Yes but still a badass...

Juan
06-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Right. How could I forget?

SaskatchewanChamp
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
You guys need help lol. Rey Mysterio is one of the all-time greats in the ring, and will, without a doubt, be a hall of famer. You guys are all judging him on "reports" you have read either here on TPWW, or some other dirt sheet website. These rumors could be, but most certainly are wrong 90% of the time, true.

Some of you are complaining about the injury he caused with his knee brace, imagine if Stone Cold would have inured someone with his, would your reaction be the same?

The "David vs. Goliath" story, that is a fair argument, however, how do you argue against it? Rey is all of what 5'8? With everyone else averaging 6' and up. When you can argue this "storyline" which I don't think it is one, but is reality, feel free to let me know.

tjmidnight420
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
You guys need help lol. Rey Mysterio is one of the all-time greats in the ring, and will, without a doubt, be a hall of famer. You guys are all judging him on "reports" you have read either here on TPWW, or some other dirt sheet website..

I'm not the kind of mother fucker that bases my opinion on what other people think fella. I don't give a shit what Clark says or who's got the most credible dirt sheets. I don't care that he's working the original Spike Dudley gimmick. Honestly I don't even really give a shit how cool his mask is. This dude has wrestled pretty much the same match for like 8 years. Does that make sense? :wtf:

Rammsteinmad
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I like Rey Mysterio. He's not my favourite or anything, but he can put on some great matches.

Sure, his WCW stuff was insane, and I think that's partly the problem, because the usual criticism I hear on here is about how he was great in WCW but sucks now. Come on the guy has been doing all these flips/high impact moves for 15+ years, what do you expect?!

His fued with Chris Jericho last year was amazing, and he can still put on five star matches with the right person.

Character-wise though, I desperately want to see him turn heel, coz he's had the same gimmick since 2002. Having him join the SES at the last PPV would have been a great way to make him a reluctant heel, and then have him naturally grow into his new role.

legendkillerRKO
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
So, we swiftly move from "I hate a stranger for his personality," to "I'm a sarcastic little penis," to "Sorry for causing a scene, I just can't handle negative emotions and lash out at people."

Interesting progression.

thank you for psychoanalysis....how much do i owe you?

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Sometimes he works a little bit too "WWE" style, but I dunno he rarely has a bad match... people on here are knobs.

"WWE doesn't push small guys enough" "WTF Rey is too small to be world champion"

Fucking retards.

Joesgonnakillyou
06-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Sometimes he works a little bit too "WWE" style, but I dunno he rarely has a bad match... people on here are knobs.

"WWE doesn't push small guys enough" "WTF Rey is too small to be world champion"

Fucking retards.

I agree with Dale.

Afterlife
06-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Hard not to, in this instance.

XL
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I think I might be quite apathetic towards Rey,

On the positive the stuff of his that I've seen from WCW has top drawer. But then we has working whatever style he wanted, was injury free and working with other cruiserweights.

On the negative he has been pretty bland since coming to WWE, he lacks mic skills and his title reigns have left "bad tastes in the mouth". The first one came as a result of Eddie dying and I think it will always be tainted by that - even if it may not have been his idea. This time around I can't help but think he played his face to get the belt so that WWE could get him to stick around during Taker's absence.

Fueds like the Jericho one aside I can take him or leave him.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
His title reign wasn't his fault, it was shit awful booking. Dunno how you can blame him for that.