PDA

View Full Version : The fall from grace

FourFifty
07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
If you think I'm talking about The Messiah's finisher, I have more respect for you, but you're wrong.

So I'm watching The Wrestler for the 238,412,523,450th time. Fantastic movie. Anyways, Randy "The Ram" was on top of the wrestling world, which then sparked a thought in my mind... Who has had the biggest fall from grace in the wrestling industry? Who went from the main event in the biggest spotlight (take your pick if I'm talking about WWE, TNA, WCW, WCCW, NWA, AWA, ETC) to wrestling in some shit filled indy company living paycheck to paycheck, possibly in a trailer park.

Greg Valentine comes to mind, since he once headlined MSG and 20 years later cut a promo from some kid's backyard.

Who else fell from grace?

Razzamajazz
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
jake roberts

Xero
07-05-2010, 08:54 PM
jake roberts

First one that came to mind.

Schlomey
07-05-2010, 08:55 PM
ya Jake Roberts comes to mind as the biggest fall from grace. He could have been a hall of fame legend but because of his post WWF career he probably won't get the recognition he deserves for several years to come.

BTW, Jake and I have exchanged emails and he told me that this is his last summer of wrestling so God only knows what he will do for money.

He has done car commercials & autograph sales but I guess his series of of shoot interviews he sells on his sites will help a little.

He has a good crew of supporters including family members and friends (specifically his PA Shannon) so hopefully he stays clean in retirement so WWE may give him some cred some day.

BTW II he is my all time favorite wrestler.

FourFifty
07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
ya Jake Roberts comes to mind as the biggest fall from grace. He could have been a hall of fame legend but because of his post WWF career he probably won't get the recognition he deserves for several years to come.

I think he'll go into the hall of fame one day... but it pains me to say this but it'll be a "In memory of" inductee. Yea, he had his problems. Let's just assume that he's clean right now. Time heals all wounds, but scars never heal. The wounds that his troubles left him are here to say.

Providence Peep
07-05-2010, 09:03 PM
jake roberts

Here's an article about him that surfaced on-line a few years ago:

Jake the Snake Roberts appeared at Phantasy Theater in Lakewood, Ohio last night for Firestorm pro wrestling. He was booked in the main event to face JT Lightning one on one. As soon as me and my friends arrived there everything was ok. Jake was sitting off in the corner at a little table with pictures of himself selling autographs and taking pictures with the fans. As the night progressed though everything went downhill. It was the 2nd to last match involving a match for firestorms world title. Jake had come out,clearly drunk or drugged up, and grabbed the microphone during that match (completely unscripted as everyone could tell by the owner of firestorm coming out and trying to get jake to go back in the dressing room.)

Jake was on the mic trying to encourage the guys in the ring,then he started swearing.the second to last match ended and it was time for the main event which was Jake vs Jt Lightning. JT came out,followed by Jake the snake. Jake grabbed the microphone and at first said he came here to do this for the fans, but he didnt feel like we were giving him the same respect [he was] giving us. He started talking incoherently, it was obvious he was on something.

After about 3 minutes of talking he put the mic down and staggered into the ring. JT attacked him to start the match. Jake didn't sell one shot, he just backed into the corner and it seemed like he was out of it. JT Lightning clearly got pissed and just pushed Jake to the ground and got on top of him to cover him and just end the match within 30 seconds of the start. Jake was trying to kick up. JT pushed his arms down and the ref just did a 3 count to end the match because Jake was in no shape to wrestle a match. Afterwards JT Lightning grabbed the microphone and said along the lines of "Ive wrestled with drug addicts like Tommie Rich... Jimmy Snuka... but you are by far the biggest piece of shit I've ever been in the ring with." JT was literally shooting on Jake. Jake just stood in the ring and flipped JT off.

Another Firestorm wrestler J Rocc came in after that match was over and attempted to give the crowd a show by doing an attack on Jake so the fans wouldn't be as pissed off about the main event lasting a whole 30 seconds. Which Jake also curled in the corner and no sold.

That made J rocc mad who then tried to actually fight jake. A wrestler named Ray Rowe came out and was trying to calm J rocc and JT down as Jake just stood in the middle of the ring flipping people off. Jake then proceeded to pull his penis out and shake it in front of the whole crowd...

Triple Naitch
07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Jim Duggan won the very first Royal Rumble and has been cast as a retard ever since.

CSL
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM

BTW, Jake and I have exchanged emails and he told me that this is his last summer of wrestling so God only knows what he will do for money.

He has done car commercials & autograph sales but I guess his series of of shoot interviews he sells on his sites will help a little.

He has a good crew of supporters including family members and friends (specifically his PA Shannon) so hopefully he stays clean in retirement so WWE may give him some cred some day.

It's probably Jake's last summer of wrestling for about the 8th year in a row.

I'm not sure there's anybody who's quite come close to that Randy The Ram position (I got the impression he was supposed to be Hogan-esque in his heyday) since most guys make enough money in that spot to live from.

Biggest fall from grace in my mind is probably Dynamite. Guy went from WrestleMania and being widely regarded as well as regularly being told he was one of, if not the best wrestler on the planet to being a bitter shell of a man that is on benefits ("welfare") living on a council estate not being able to pay his Sky/cable bill and being in a wheelchair/losing the use of his leg. All before the age of 50.

Testicle
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Probably not on the level of Jake the Snake and Dynamite, but Scott Hall and Ric Flair come to mind. Hall is in his 50s and is a mess as usual with his drug probs, just got fired ect. Flair in his 60s and is totally broke because of his spending and divorice issues.

blak23
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
ultimate warrior

VSG
07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
jake roberts

Lex Lugor, Jim Duggan, and at this rate Hulk Hogan.

CSL
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Hogan has more money than South America.

McLegend
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
His assests were frozen.

Quickest fall from grace is definitely Hogan.

CSL
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Didn't he sign most of his assets over to Bisch during his divorce to avoid having half of them jacked?

Shisen Kopf
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Owen Hart, speaking of falls

McLegend
07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't know, but he probably has at least like 10 million leftover after the divorce. No one outside of TNA wants anything to do with him it seems. Kind of sad what he has become even if he still has the money.

I'm trying to think of a really "good" one.

Seth82
07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
definitely Jake Roberts

I"d add Tommy Rich to the list as well

in the late 70's and early 80's he was one of the biggest stars in the biz and was NWA World champion in 1981

by the late 80's he got sloppy and was buried in the mid card matches and no longer considered a star

jump to the late 90's and he shows up in ECW as a comedy wrestler with little guido and tracy smothers

now he still wrestles albeit he looks like hell

here he is late 70's
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/t/tommyrich/19.jpg

Nowadays
http://cjcoons.smugmug.com/NWA/NWA-60th-Anniversary-June-7/NWA-080607-04-Tommy-Rich-vs/NWA08060700850/309161845_kNDWJ-M.jpg

LuigiD
07-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Besides for the ones already mentioned..I am thinking Iron Sheik?
He seems to be in terrible shape. I saw him at a convention a while back and fans were pissed. The autographs looked like scribbles. I guess Sid Vicious also comes to mind. He was pretty high up there for some time and now he is in no name indie feds.

Krimzon7
07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
controversy surrounds this name, but his fall is no less poignant. Chris Benoit

Gertner
07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Probably Luger. Greg Valentine seems like a cool guy. I'd probably do stuff like he did, give some fans a cheap thrill, get paid. He's made his money. He pretty much wrestled stedily from 1980 to the late 90's in big name promotions.

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't think Benoit really qualifies here. A lot of people still regard him as one of the top ten wrestlers ever, and he didn't really live to see his "downfall". He meets maybe one or two of the criteria but he was too rich to deserve merit here.

Scott Hall is another one I question, though he certainly meets the out of shape/drunk/threw away his talent and opportunity criteria, but he has too many connections to ever truly "bottom out" Randy the Ram style I think.

He looks like hell though. Maybe i'm wrong.

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:28 AM
The Entire Von Erich family

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:28 AM
And benoit def qualifies...c'mon

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Who went from the main event in the biggest spotlight to wrestling in some shit filled indy company living paycheck to paycheck, possibly in a trailer park.

That's the only reason I was suggesting Benoit doesn't qualify in this argument.

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
still a massive fall from grace, trailer park or not.

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Terry Funk should maybe be mentioned here too.

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Funk is still doin ok

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:39 AM
If by "ok" you mean he isn't eating out of a dumpster, yeah he's doing great.

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:40 AM
still has a nice home and a loving family...

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:40 AM
or has something happend no ones told me about?

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:41 AM
(being a gimp is the natural progression of both pro-wrestlers and most humans)

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
No he's fine. He's just 66 and still taking bumps and cutting his scar tissue open with razor blades.

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:44 AM
and?

Destor
07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
def not a fall from grace. doin the same thing he's always done.

Favre4Ever
07-06-2010, 01:46 AM
point

Majunior
07-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Where's Savage at these days?

Skippord
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Destor

Destor
07-06-2010, 04:44 AM
if i get to fuck marisa tomei i will gladly go on the list

Verbose Minch
07-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Ric Flair.

His only hobbies nowadays are cocaine and getting sued.

The Mackem
07-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Doesn't help that half of them die young.

Haze
07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Warrior anyone?

Wolfpack423
07-06-2010, 12:59 PM

I firmly believe WWE will induct Jake Roberts into the Hall of Fame. He was ahead of his time in terms of being a heel. He was psychotic in 1992 and his feud with Savage is phenomenal. I wasn't that big of a fan of his, but he was capable of having great matches with Randy Savage, Ted Dibiase etc. I have come to appreciate how big of an impact he made and it bothers me that he was never an Intercontinental Champion. However, that was when Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect were dominating the Intercontinental title scene and then British Bulldog and Shawn Michaels and before them Ultimate Warrior. He could have had a reign though. He had all the tools.

XIII
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
bastion booger

XIII
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
def. jake the snake.........

The Pope
07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Chris Benoit went from being on top to barely hanging for his life.... or not.

XIII
07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
also shane douglas... he was the fuckin shit in ecw... and i doubt like hell any of the guys in ecw were gettin filthy rich... def. not wwe rich anyway... then he went to wcw and slowly went to shit.... he could've been fuckin awesome on the mic for ecw during the invasion.... but he hated mcmahon and hbk and they hated him... so if not for politics in wwe he would have been fuckin awesome during the attitude era... especially with fine ass francine........ anyway true fuckin story..... i was with my dad in pittsburgh back in 93' my dad was buying a piece of shit work car off his boss and my dads boss says "do you know the wrestler shane douglas?" and i said yeah.. and he said "thats his house and there he is right there" the franchise was outside in his yard spraying his grass with a hose" true story... like i said this was in 93' i was 9 nine years old and shane douglas wasn't a huge superstar yet... but his house was nice as hell... but i read on wikipedia that he was trying to get a fuckin job at target... i guess you could call that a fall from grace..........

XIII
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Warrior anyone?

yep warrior........ but he did that shit to himself ... he was my favorite as a kid, till you find out how big a dick he was sooooooooo.. fugg'em guess he deserved it...

CSL
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Warrior hasn't fell anywhere, pretty sure he kept/watched his money and always looked out for himself.

Wolfpack423
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
yep warrior........ but he did that shit to himself ... he was my favorite as a kid, till you find out how big a dick he was sooooooooo.. fugg'em guess he deserved it...

I have to say that even though he may be a dick in real life, I still am a big fan of the Ultimate Warrior, I always liked him. Shawn Michaels changed but he was the biggest asshole in the business at one time and that didn't stop me from liking him in the ring. I agree it sucks when you hear a favorite of yours is an ass but as fans we really only should be dealing with what happens in the ring. Sorry for the long winded response.

The Pope
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Kinda like Chris Jericho, and they both shake the ropes too.

parkmania
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Does Justin Credible count since he barely had a cup of coffee in the big leagues?

Also, Tony Atlas def should be in there. Although Vince has bailed him out of his situation a couple different times.

Aguakate
07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
..."fall from grace"...

...huh...

...Scott Hall comes to mind, man...

...if not for his demons, he would've been WWF Champion, he would've been WCW Heavyweight Champion...too bad the 2 companies didn't trust him enough to peg him as their top star, because they couldn't rely on him...

...AND, he would most likely still be active today, and when I say active, I mean ACTIVE...not the way he is today.

CSL
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM

DLVH84
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Owen Hart, speaking of falls

That was tasteless. However, I'm not like his wife, trying to sue people for remembering Owen.