PDA

View Full Version : What'syour favourite NIGHT of booking?

XL
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
We can all pick out instances or angles where the booking has been pitch perfect but what is the bet single night/event of booking.

My vote goes to Surivior Series 98.

There were so many loose threads going into the show that all got tied up.

Heading into the show Vince had screwed Austin out of the title by putting him in a Handicap Match against Taker & Kane. In that match both men got the pin on Austin so the belt was held up. After that, Vince fired Austin only for Shane to sign him to a new 5 year deal.

During the same time Vince has unhappy with The Rock as he represented the people and was grooming Mankind to be the next champion.

At Survivor Series there would be a tournament to crown the new champ.

On the night Mankind's mystery opponent was releaved to be Duane Gill (Gillberg) who Mankind easily defeated. A set-up to allow Vince's chosen one easy passage.

Rock was supposed to face the injured HH who didn't show up and wa then replaced by the Big Boss Man - who had already lost to Austin earlier in the night. As Boss Man ran into the ring Rock quickly rolled him up with the small package for the win. Vince was foiled - or was he?

Later in the night Rock would face another of Vince's henchmen, Ken Shamrock. During the match Bossman tried to throw his nightstick to Shamrocl (or did he) but it was intercepted by Rock who nailed Shamrock and got the win.

Meanwhile Austin eventually faced Mankind and got the cover but the ref was down. Suddenly Shane is in the ringwith the count. 1......2......Shane gives the middle fingers to Austin. Shane then counted the 3 after Austin was taken out by Vince's associates.

In the other Semi, The Rock beat Taker by DQ when Kane chokeslamed him.

The final saw the Vince sponsered Mankind take on the Vince hated Rocky. McMahon ended up pulling the Montreal Screwjob giving Rock the win and revealing him to be the chosen Corporate Champion.

Aside from re-doing the Screwjob only a year after it happpened for real the booking was excellent.

Was it arranged between Rock/Vince/Boss Man that he would allow Rock the record-setting win in the first round to keep him fresh? Did Boss Man intend Rock to intercept the nightstick?

The set up was perfect and the execution was flawless.

Honourable mention goes to King of the Ring 2001.

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I mean this was the easiest pick ever no offense. That tournament was great booking and its silly that they never did anything like it on PPV again.

XL
07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
No offense taken.

Maybe I should have written somethig like: "What are some other great entire nights/events of booking that aren't guite as good as the one I mention but still pretty good?" just to clarify.

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I like it when a wrestler has to run a gauntlet of other wrestlers over the course of a night. They did it with Triple H two years ago where he had three matches on RAW, the first winning the title against Orton, the second against Umaga, and the third losing the title to Orton. They did something similar to it back in the summer of 2000 though with Jericho, where when Jericho came out against Vince and DX, Vince booked him in three matches over the course of the night. Forget who the first match was against, but the second was against the Big Show, which he won, and the third was against Benoit, which he of course lost.

VSG
07-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Speaking of HHH in gauntlet matches, remember the September 23, 1999 episode of smackdown? They went all out for those 2 hours of free tv. Granted that the final outcome was predictable but 5 gimmick specialty matches featuring the hottest guys at the time led to the start of 4 good feuds from that point.

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah it was like a casket match, inferno match and boiler room brawl all in one night, that was a fun episode for sure.

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Damn this makes me miss the days when important things actually happened on Smackdown.

Savio
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah it was like a casket match, inferno match and boiler room brawl all in one night, that was a fun episode for sure.Dont forget the choke slam challenge!....:shifty:

BigCrippyZ
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Gotta admit Survivor Series 98 was booked superbly. I can't help but think it was due to having a huge effective heel stable in the Corporation going against guys like Rock and Austin, and eventually Mankind of course. Having the different characters/feuds built around the stable prevented it from becoming stale and boring IMO.

BigCrippyZ
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Damn this makes me miss the days when important things actually happened in the WWF. That's right I said WWF. Suck it pandas.

bigslimjj
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
The first Nitro where Bischoff and Russon were in charge I thought was actually pretty good.After that it went straight downhill but the first night was very well done.

bigslimjj
07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
or during the first invasion angle when ecw and wcw joined together.First the ecw guys attacked,then the second swerve later was done well when stephanie came out.

VSG
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Dont forget the choke slam challenge!....:shifty:

Or the Brahma Bull rope match with British Bulldog as special ref :shifty:

nelioneil
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Wrestlemania 17 (X-Seven). What a PPV. Fantastic matches on show:

Triple threat hardcore match
Kurt angle vs Chris Benoit
Shane vs Vince
TLC 2
Gimmick Battle Royal
Undertaker vs Tripel H (classic grudge match)
Stone Cold vs The Rock (lived up to its expectations, with unpredictable ending)

XL
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I like it when a wrestler has to run a gauntlet of other wrestlers over the course of a night. They did it with Triple H two years ago where he had three matches on RAW, the first winning the title against Orton, the second against Umaga, and the third losing the title to Orton. They did something similar to it back in the summer of 2000 though with Jericho, where when Jericho came out against Vince and DX, Vince booked him in three matches over the course of the night. Forget who the first match was against, but the second was against the Big Show, which he won, and the third was against Benoit, which he of course lost.
That HHH-Orton-Umaga series happened at No Mercy 2008. Jus' sayin'.

Gotta admit Survivor Series 98 was booked superbly. I can't help but think it was due to having a huge effective heel stable in the Corporation going against guys like Rock and Austin, and eventually Mankind of course. Having the different characters/feuds built around the stable prevented it from becoming stale and boring IMO.
Actually, The Corporation wasn't formed until after SS98. It was Vince, Big Boss Man and The Stooges (Slaughter, Brisco, Patterson) until after SS98 when The Rock and Shane had joined and then Shamrock (and later Kane, Chyna, HHH).

Yeah, just done a bit of Wikipedia reading. ;) Apparantly, Orton's "reign" as champion at No Mercy was the 5th shortest in history. I was trying to work out the others.

Yokozuna (WM9)
John Cena (Elimination Chamber 2010)
Jeff Hardy (Extreme Rules 2009)
Andre (1988)

Executioner
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
The Great American Bash 1989 "The Glory Days"

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
No Mercy 08 was the Jericho/Michaels ladder match, not the HHH title win/loss in one night.

Favre4Ever
07-08-2010, 02:55 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yhq_vIQgGRc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yhq_vIQgGRc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

XL
07-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Shit. Sorry. 2007. :y:

Didn't seem that long ago.

Dante69
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Loved the Black Scorpion plot back in the old WCW,when Sting would be attacked weekly then suddenly when all else fails it is revealed that Ric Flair was the Black Scorpion all along :)

Nicky Fives
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Wrestlemania 17 (X-Seven). What a PPV. Fantastic matches on show:

Triple threat hardcore match
Kurt angle vs Chris Benoit
Shane vs Vince
TLC 2
Gimmick Battle Royal
Undertaker vs Tripel H (classic grudge match)
Stone Cold vs The Rock (lived up to its expectations, with unpredictable ending)

This is mine as well.... an absolute unforgettable night....

XL
07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Loved the Black Scorpion plot back in the old WCW,when Sting would be attacked weekly then suddenly when all else fails it is revealed that Ric Flair was the Black Scorpion all along :)
Yeah, I don't think you've understood the topic.

That happened over the course of weeks, not in a single night.