PDA

View Full Version : Do achievements/trophies impact the way you play?

Kane Knight
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Poll coming, but basically, a "how far do you go for them?" Question. I'd be lying if I said not at all, but I only have like 5 1000/1000 (or max score) titles and 0 platinums.

Vietnamese Crippler
07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
I'll go out of my way for Achievements/Trophies, but I have never finished them completely.

I'll unlock them as best I can, but when it gets to the tougher ones I'll just skip them.

Extreme Angle
07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I love getting 1000s, been slacking past few months though

Emperor Smeat
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I tend to play the game normally the first time and only get the easier or mandatory story achievements and then once I beat the campaign/solo part of the game, I end up going after most of the remaining achievements.

Not compulsive enough to do a 1000 gamer score since I tend to ignore the more tedious achievements or those that require to beat the game several times instead of just jumping into a chapter or mission to get them.

DAMN iNATOR
07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I won't lie. It's something to shoot for, but I don't HAVE to 1000/1000 every game I play.

Kane Knight
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll go out of my way for Achievements/Trophies, but I have never finished them completely.

I'll unlock them as best I can, but when it gets to the tougher ones I'll just skip them.

Some games you can't not. I played FN Round 3 and got 1000/1000 about halfway through my overall play time. One of the Warriors Orochi games gives you 1000/1000 simply for doing what I always do in the Warriors games: Collect everything and unlock everyone.

And some games, you don't have to go too far out of your way. I don't know if I'll complete Red Dead Redemption, but I'm pretty close with a couple of achievements I know I can get if I just keep playing. Which I will, because none of it requires anything not fun.

Which is ually when I stop.

Vietnamese Crippler
07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I know there are games in which you can easily get just about everything, but I don't think I have anything in my collection which qualifies.

The closest in ANY game I've come is probably Forza 3, which I think I'm missing 6 Achievements.

ClockShot
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I try my hardest to get everyone. But ones that involve beating a game in x amout of hours or playing nonstop without saving are not worth my time.

Example: Madden 06. I got all of the achievements except for "Complete 30 Years of Franchise".

DaveBrawl
07-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I generally ignore them. If I happen to get them great, if not whatever. The only game I've ever gotten every achievement from this generation was the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I did get all of the story mode achievement's in Arkham Asylum, but never bothered with challenge mode.

I especially ignore them if they're online achievements since I have no desire to play most games online. Forza 3 is really the only game that has even tempted me to get a Gold account, and I haven't even broken down to get that game yet. I'll probably end up with it shortly though.

RoXer
07-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I try my hardest to get everyone. But ones that involve beating a game in x amout of hours or playing nonstop without saving are not worth my time.

Example: Madden 06. I got all of the achievements except for "Complete 30 Years of Franchise".

Never occured to you to sim for 20 mins?

alvarado52
07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I dont bother anymore. Here and there i'll go for one, but i wont go out of my way for them any longer.

G
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Never occured to you to sim for 20 mins?

Try 3 hours.

DAMN iNATOR
07-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Some games you can't not. I played FN Round 3 and got 1000/1000 about halfway through my overall play time. One of the Warriors Orochi games gives you 1000/1000 simply for doing what I always do in the Warriors games: Collect everything and unlock everyone.

And some games, you don't have to go too far out of your way. I don't know if I'll complete Red Dead Redemption, but I'm pretty close with a couple of achievements I know I can get if I just keep playing. Which I will, because none of it requires anything not fun.

Which is ually when I stop.

I'm betting just about everyone who's played FN R3 on 360 has 1000/1000 unless they lost interest after their 3rd match or something ridiculous. Strangely I think that's the only game I've ever attained a perfect score in, the next closest was Fallout 3, where I have one out of like 60 some that I never got, so I'm at like 1200+/1250 or whatever the max is for the game plus the expansion, but with New Vegas along the way, I can't really be bothered to try for the last F3 achievement. Don't even remember what it was but it was stupid and a minor one anyway.

Funky Fly
07-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Not gonna lie, I am an achievement whore. Love the shit. It's so pointless, but I love it. Big ups to G for the help with the Doll Catcher in Fable 2... 3 or 4 months ago.

I was perfect in dragon age till all the new dlc changed that. I have it all and WILL eventually get them all, as I LOVE THAT GAME TO DEATH. I have 4 games with 100% completion, and could easily have more, but Phantasy Star Universe's extra 250 GS is not worth an extra $15 and the hassle of cancelling a subscription. Shit like that sucks. I dunno. I'll come back to this when I am not drunkranting.

Disturbed316
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I have 14 games 100%, with 58580 of 103455 Gamerscore available, 121 games played. I do love my achievements. Some of the 100% were straight forward (CSI) but some of them took alot of skill/effort/luck (Madden 09).

I do tend to take notice more of what achievements can be obtained now than I used to, so I guess I'll class myself as abit of a whore, but I only ever go after them if I'm actually enjoying playing the game.

Cooler Tom Schuler
07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I generally only get them if they happen naturally through gameplay or I know about them and think "that'd be a fun one to try for".

G
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Sitting at 22 1000's, including Borderlands' 1500 and Fable 2's 1350. I think those are my highest. It's weird, because I don't really care for the trophies when I play PS3. I haven't specifically gone for a single one. :-\

G
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Not gonna lie, I am an achievement whore. Love the shit. It's so pointless, but I love it. Big ups to G for the help with the Doll Catcher in Fable 2... 3 or 4 months ago.

I was perfect in dragon age till all the new dlc changed that. I have it all and WILL eventually get them all, as I LOVE THAT GAME TO DEATH. I have 4 games with 100% completion, and could easily have more, but Phantasy Star Universe's extra 250 GS is not worth an extra $15 and the hassle of cancelling a subscription. Shit like that sucks. I dunno. I'll come back to this when I am not drunkranting.

Yep, I believe you and Drakul owe me a lifetime of reppage.

dronepool
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't go for them, if they happen I simply notice a pop up informing me that I got a trophy and I just casually continue the game.

Ogen
07-23-2010, 01:36 AM
I've never attempted to get a single one.

Fignuts
07-23-2010, 01:42 AM
lol no

BigDaddyCool
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm trying to get everything in Braid, but I don't care about some of the bigger games. If I ever really get bored I'll grind out in the lego games. I've played through Fable 2 twice because it was fun, but I'm going through a 3rd time just to get the last few achievements.

CSL
07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Not at all.

Ermaximus
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, I believe you and Drakul owe me a lifetime of reppage.

I could use some help getting said achievement...

Yes I am an achievement whore. I just hit 100k gs last night playing the 20x exp weekend on GoW2. I 100% what I can, but I have a ton that I either never finish, or don't feel like finishing. Perfect example is FF13. Bored the fuck out of me.

PapaGeorgio
07-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I could generally care less about Trophies, but for Achievements i do put some effort into those. I would be somewhere between the a lot or a little option I suppose. If they are too ridiculous or boring I won't really bother. But if they ain't to bad Im generally all for them.

G
07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I could use some help getting said achievement...

Yes I am an achievement whore. I just hit 100k gs last night playing the 20x exp weekend on GoW2. I 100% what I can, but I have a ton that I either never finish, or don't feel like finishing. Perfect example is FF13. Bored the fuck out of me.

When did you drop the color? I'd love to help, but I got rid of it long ago. :-\

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Sidenote, I love getting free achievements/trophies for nothing. Like I just started ass cred 2, I got 20 points for being born and 20 points for casually walking out of the first level.

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
And another 20 for finally starting the regular game. Love it 60 points before seeing the starting credits.

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
The most rewarding achievement I ever had was "Dastardly" for Red Dead Redemption. You have to hogtie a female NPC and put her on a traintrack and then watch her die.

whiteyford
07-29-2010, 07:01 AM
The most rewarding achievement I ever had was "Dastardly" for Red Dead Redemption. You have to hogtie a female NPC and put her on a traintrack and then watch her die.

I got that one yesterday...but just before the train struck her my horse decieded he wanted to walk across the tracks:nono:

The only games ive actually tried to get the full 1000 on have been the lego games, but they keep glitching at 90% or so and i give up :|

The Mackem
07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Only cheivements that effect gameplay. Definitely with a game like FIFA where my virtual pro can only improve if I meet certain achievements.

BigDaddyCool
07-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Sometimes once I get all the easy achievements, the slightly out of the way achievements and the only ones left that require a 3rd or 4th play through it starts to feel like a chore and I don't want to play while if it wasn't for them, I would totally have done it 3 or 4 times if it is a rpg.

4 knuckles up
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Interesting topic!

I've got about a 25k gamerscore- It seems higher than most. In regards to cheevs, if I really like a game, I'll make an effort to explore every facet- Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Left 4 dead are games I've got all the achievments for just through the sheer joy of the game.

Sometimes I'll go for an interesting achievment in a crappy game for the laughs- But I hate HATE things like "collects 300 orbs", or flags, or dildos- whatever. No thanks. I've better things to do... (Sometimes.)

Then not forgetting you get some games that either throw them at you, or are part of the games progression anyway, can mean that someone could go out of their way to complete every disney game for the easy boost to their gamerscore, making the whole concept a little redundant.

G
07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Some guy on my list just got branded Cheater and had his Gamerscore reset.

Boomer
07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
I have no Platinums. I like the idea of achievements, but I play too many games to spend enough time to get all of them in one game.

RoXer
07-29-2010, 09:06 PM

who?

alvarado52
07-29-2010, 09:09 PM

lol, man i wish that would happen to some dude i know. This guy was a freakin' SPAZ, always glitched in games and was an overall griefer and dickhead in online multi.

So anyway, i was about 25k ahead of him in GS and he always talked about catching up. He annoyed me so i took him off my friends list, but before i did i happened to notice that in a matter of 2 days he went from 80k to 150k.

How fuckin' sad are you when you need to glitch gamerscore?

LoDownM
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
The only two games I went out of my way to get achievements were Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, about 70% done with both of those. I should get Dragon Age for the 360 again just so I can finish it's achievements.

Y2Ant
07-29-2010, 09:29 PM
interesting topic, was talking to a gamer friend of mine at work the other day about it, it can be quite addicting - it's the whole notion of progression that gets me I think, that's why i'm so into RPGs. probably a good thing I don't play WoW anymore haha.

but I see it as a good thing really, generally i'll try and complete a game, and having some achievements to get later on give it some replayability, especially with XBLA content with games like Streets of Rage 2 which i'll just play again and again, gives you a reason to play and something fun to aim for.

saying that though, some achievements are just retardedly difficult to get, and in cases like that I tend to just give up once I feel i've gotten everything out of a game.

G
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
who?

Some random guy who joined my Crackdown 2 game. Should probably just delete him, dunno why I accepted it.

Kane Knight
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I know there are games in which you can easily get just about everything, but I don't think I have anything in my collection which qualifies.

The closest in ANY game I've come is probably Forza 3, which I think I'm missing 6 Achievements.

Tha's cool enough. Just saying. Especially DLC games. I just finished off Deathspank's Achievements this morning. Considering the last one is just hitting level 20, which I was almost at and would have anyway...Yeah.

I got the last one on Magic The Gathering's most recent expansion by accident. It requires you to win a 3 or 4 player online game. And The first guy quit immediately or was disconnected. The second one quit when it looked like me and the other guy had the advantage. mostly the other guy. Who quit a couple minutes later, even though he had gotten a larger advantage.

lol no

Given your GS, I find it hard to believe you didn't go out of your way to get at least a couple of those.

Sidenote, I love getting free achievements/trophies for nothing. Like I just started ass cred 2, I got 20 points for being born and 20 points for casually walking out of the first level.

Yeah, I popped it in with a friend watching because he didn't know if he wanted AC2. He laughed when I got those.

And another 20 for finally starting the regular game. Love it 60 points before seeing the starting credits.

The Simpsons movie game apparently has one for hitting start, BTW.

It also has the most frustrating one, since "spurred to victory" doesn't always work.

Some random guy who joined my Crackdown 2 game. Should probably just delete him, dunno why I accepted it.

Those are weird, especially if the guy never interacts with you.

DaBrasko
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Achievements don't effect the way I play through a game the first time but def do the 2nd or 3rd time I play through it.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
08-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I do not give a rat's behind about achievements, but I'm strictly a PC gamer.

Boomer
08-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I do not give a rat's behind about achievements, but I'm strictly a PC gamer.

Steam achievements!

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Are for fags.