PDA

View Full Version : X-Box avatars are completely useless

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
So why do I customize mine and spend real money on getting a shirt and shoes for it?

I recognize the fact that outside of a couple of arcade games the avatar does nothing except stand there like a faggot. But still I have a compulsion to scroll through and see if there is anything neat to dress him in or whatever. Damn you X-Box.

Discuss.

Disturbed316
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Because its fun to dress up, especially to look like "famous" people/characters for example:

http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/NJackson21/avatar-body.png

Hanso Amore
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
How does one stand there like a faggot?

Is he like sucking a dick while wearing his new Gears of War t shirt?

Funky Fly
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
lol awesome

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
How does one stand there like a faggot?

Is he like sucking a dick while wearing his new Gears of War t shirt?

Shut up hanso, they are totally standing like faggots with their hips cocked to the side.

RoXer
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
1 vs. 100 :(

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Well there is a game.

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Point is doing things with them seems like a complete after thought.

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Short answer is because in general gamers are dumb enough to spend real money on a virtual person or in the case of Farmville, a virtual farm. Its the same with PSN, Apple's Ipad/Ipod touch, and certain MMOs/PC games.

Initially it was rumored Microsoft was considering having people exchange gamerscore points into MS points to help boost the interest in buying stuff for their avatars. They ended up canceling the idea after the widespread banning due to people boosting/hacking their gamerscores.

Kane Knight
07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Because you're an idiot, Becker.

Fignuts
07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I bought some stuff because I had some leftover MS points, and I plan on getting the new bomberman.

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Short answer is because in general gamers are dumb enough to spend real money on a virtual person or in the case of Farmville, a virtual farm. Its the same with PSN, Apple's Ipad/Ipod touch, and certain MMOs/PC games.

Initially it was rumored Microsoft was considering having people exchange gamerscore points into MS points to help boost the interest in buying stuff for their avatars. They ended up canceling the idea after the widespread banning due to people boosting/hacking their gamerscores.

That is what I was guessing too. It would be nice if you could get free merch from the games you play...well I guess I did get a rdr shirt I don't wear.

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Because you're an idiot, Becker.
True
I bought some stuff because I had some leftover MS points, and I plan on getting the new bomberman.

Techincally all the stuff I bought was from left over points I had from buying games.

Kane Knight
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM

I seriously doubt they ever considered that.

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
This was from 2007 about Microsoft testing out using gamerscore in a similar way to a Club Nintendo or any other special status club.

http://xbox.about.com/b/2007/02/07/microsoft-announces-gamerscore-rewards.htm

I would assume they were never really going to do a 1:1 conversion on score to spendable points since it would end up being too costly for them or encourage hacking/boosting of the gamerscore. There were a bunch of ideas floating around of what Microsoft might do to help promote and get people interested in the avatar store when it was released.

D Mac
07-27-2010, 01:04 AM
http://www.gameplasma.com/media/boxart/avatargolf.jpg

Along with some other Indie games.

Also...

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090807/GH5_Xbox_Avatar_2_610x343.jpg

I would hope Rock Band 3 would have this feature but prolly not.

BigDaddyCool
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
So I'm talking to KK and said if I owned a video game company, I would crank out a bunch of cheap knock off games where the player can use his avatar, and they would all be arcade games. Plus I would give them all really obivious names like Avatar's Creed or Super Avatar's World or Avatar Gaiden or Avatar Fighter 2: Turbo.

Then I got to thinking, why hasn't anyone else already done this? That is a cash cow yet to be milked.

Kane Knight
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
This was from 2007 about Microsoft testing out using gamerscore in a similar way to a Club Nintendo or any other special status club.

http://xbox.about.com/b/2007/02/07/microsoft-announces-gamerscore-rewards.htm

I would assume they were never really going to do a 1:1 conversion on score to spendable points since it would end up being too costly for them or encourage hacking/boosting of the gamerscore. There were a bunch of ideas floating around of what Microsoft might do to help promote and get people interested in the avatar store when it was released.

*facepalm*

I like the part where the one portion that doesn't deal with the avatar store was the one part you bothered to verify with a link. And it wasn't really related to the rest in any meaningful sense.

Also, Avatars in GH 5 looked retarded, Mac, and that's part of the problem. Mii games work because they're on a system with dated graphics designed for children and the mentally handicapped. Most titles on the 360 look dumb with Avatars thrown in.

Though I agree with BDC that making a bunch of avatar specific knockoffs would be commercial gold. Not inspired or clever, but gold.

Kane Knight
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Grand Theft Avatar: San Avatreas.

Kane Knight
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM

:shifty:

BigDaddyCool
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM

:shifty:

I was thinking more of Avatar: The Last Avatarbender.

Or Avatar, the cheesy knock off of the blue things.

D Mac
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
So I'm talking to KK and said if I owned a video game company, I would crank out a bunch of cheap knock off games where the player can use his avatar, and they would all be arcade games. Plus I would give them all really obivious names like Avatar's Creed or Super Avatar's World or Avatar Gaiden or Avatar Fighter 2: Turbo.

Then I got to thinking, why hasn't anyone else already done this? That is a cash cow yet to be milked.

I believe there is an Indie game called Super Avatar World.

BigDaddyCool
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Well they stole it from me.

Kane Knight
07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I believe there is an Indie game called Super Avatar World.

He's still talking large scale, not cheapie shit.

Shaggy
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
You can race as your avatar in Sonic and Sega All Star Racing...... :shifty:

BigDaddyCool
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Well that is a start.

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-28-2010, 01:33 AM
I bought a Yoda hat for my avatar.

You can also make your Avatar get dizzy, frown, smile, and wave.

The Jayman
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
My avatar is dressed up like Akuma from SSF4