PDA

View Full Version : Ted DiBiase, Sr. shoots on Hogan and Flair in TNA

Providence Peep
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
What do you guys think of this remark?

"Hulk Hogan is a good guy. Ric Flair ... I've known these guys for a long time. I consider them friends, but I'm 56 years old. I'm the same age as Hulk Hogan. And he's still trying to (wrestle). Ric Flair is over 60. I think he's 61 or 62, and he's still trying to go out there. Both those guys had tremendous careers, and to me, what they're doing now, it just tarnishes what they had."

dhellova guy
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Teds entitled to his oppinion, just as Flair and Hogan are entitled to continue wrestling if they want.

Anybody Thrilla
08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't give a fuck about those comments, but he's not wrong.

Steveviscious89
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Is it just me, or does everyone these days consider an on air personality the same as a wrestler? Hogan wrestled one match in TNA and even that wasn't very much. Flair only once in a awhile. I don't think Dibiase even knows what they're doing.

itsmeJD
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
While I can't disagree that obviously Flair and Hogan should probably call it a career, Ted Dibiase Sr. lost all credibility when he went back into business with Vince after badmouthing the company's direction for years and years and years. PG or not I've kinda viewed Ted as a hypocrite ever since.

VSG
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
That's no shoot, I came half expecting a full fledged video :'(

#BROKEN Hasney
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
They can't tarnish their career when no-ones watching. Let them put on their little make-belive show.

erickman
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
While I can't disagree that obviously Flair and Hogan should probably call it a career, Ted Dibiase Sr. lost all credibility when he went back into business with Vince after badmouthing the company's direction for years and years and years. PG or not I've kinda viewed Ted as a hypocrite ever since.

yep now he just says whatever wwe telles him to say.

The Pope
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Is it just me, or does everyone these days consider an on air personality the same as a wrestler? Hogan wrestled one match in TNA and even that wasn't very much. Flair only once in a awhile. I don't think Dibiase even knows what they're doing.
This

FourFifty
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
You know what this thread is missing?

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

The Pope
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
He should be the one wrestling right now, I'm guessing he has a price as well.

Kane Knight
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't give a fuck about those comments, but he's not wrong.:y:

Wrestling "once in a while" is still wrestling. I can see the argument with Hogan, but even then there's the fact that he's done onscreen altercations as well. It's not quite doing matches, but certainly it sort of applies to what DiBiase is saying.

voncouch
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
You know what this thread is missing?

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

This is actually my general ringtone. That initial laugh freaks the hell out of people.

Londoner
08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
That's no shoot, I came half expecting a full fledged video :'(

Same.... :rant:

Nicky Fives
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Ted is right on IMO

SaskatchewanChamp
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Ted should shut the hell up, who the hell is he too criticize two of the greatest wrestlers of all time? The fat fucker couldn't even tie the boots of Nature Boy and The Hulkster.

Aguakate
08-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Ted Dibiase is correct. They ARE tarnishing their legacies...if they would've known when to hang it up, they would've been HOME, with their FAMILIES, and they probably would not have had all the issues and all the controversy they have had the last couple of years.

I believe that the wrestling fan of today is more "business smart" then the fans of the 80's and early 90's. We know more about the business nowadays, we are more analytical, we have the internet and can find out anything we want about the wrestlers of today, we have videos to compare wrestlers of past decades with those of today, and compare those who wrestled in the 80's and 90's and are STILL wrestling today, and see how they have changed. And the last thing Hogan and Flair should've done is subject themselves to the analysis of today's wrestling fans, because the wrestling fans of 2010, being "smarter" than those of past decades, just tear them apart. The 2010 wrestling fan can tell when a wrestler has little or no wrestling ability, and relies on charisma. And that is Hogan's and Flair's problem. They never had the greatest wrestling ability, but they did have charisma. But today's wrestling fan can see right through that, and doesn't get enamored with that. The fans of the 80's and 90's would see Hogan, see his promos, and based on that alone, they would support him, because they would be like "He's awesome!" and no matter that he couldn't wrestle, they wouldn't overanalyze things, they would just support him in the ring. But nowadays, Hogan and Flair can't get away with that. And it also doesn't help that many of today's wrestling fans are so young that they probably started watching wrestling in 2000 or later, so they never saw Hogan and Flair in earlier years. Therefore, they don't respect their legacies, and instead, they see wrestlers like Orton, and they're like "Orton's awesome. Hogan and Flair are just 2 old dudes that need to go away".

HBK isn't young, but he still has wrestling ability and that's why the fans of today don't get on him, because he, being over 40, went out and wrestled in a way that most young wrestlers today can't even do it.

So I really believe that Hogan and Flair subjecting themselves to today's wrestling audience hurts their legacies...

...being that most of today's young wrestling fans could care less about Hogan and Flair's legacies.

rated rjo
08-06-2010, 12:48 AM
"Some might cost a little. Some might cost a lot." What Flair and Hogan are doing is costing them a lot.

Kane Knight
08-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Ted Dibiase is correct. They ARE tarnishing their legacies...if they would've known when to hang it up, they would've been HOME, with their FAMILIES, and they probably would not have had all the issues and all the controversy they have had the last couple of years.

I believe that the wrestling fan of today is more "business smart" then the fans of the 80's and early 90's. We know more about the business nowadays, we are more analytical, we have the internet and can find out anything we want about the wrestlers of today, we have videos to compare wrestlers of past decades with those of today, and compare those who wrestled in the 80's and 90's and are STILL wrestling today, and see how they have changed. And the last thing Hogan and Flair should've done is subject themselves to the analysis of today's wrestling fans, because the wrestling fans of 2010, being "smarter" than those of past decades, just tear them apart. The 2010 wrestling fan can tell when a wrestler has little or no wrestling ability, and relies on charisma. And that is Hogan's and Flair's problem. They never had the greatest wrestling ability, but they did have charisma. But today's wrestling fan can see right through that, and doesn't get enamored with that. The fans of the 80's and 90's would see Hogan, see his promos, and based on that alone, they would support him, because they would be like "He's awesome!" and no matter that he couldn't wrestle, they wouldn't overanalyze things, they would just support him in the ring. But nowadays, Hogan and Flair can't get away with that. And it also doesn't help that many of today's wrestling fans are so young that they probably started watching wrestling in 2000 or later, so they never saw Hogan and Flair in earlier years. Therefore, they don't respect their legacies, and instead, they see wrestlers like Orton, and they're like "Orton's awesome. Hogan and Flair are just 2 old dudes that need to go away".

HBK isn't young, but he still has wrestling ability and that's why the fans of today don't get on him, because he, being over 40, went out and wrestled in a way that most young wrestlers today can't even do it.

So I really believe that Hogan and Flair subjecting themselves to today's wrestling audience hurts their legacies...

...being that most of today's young wrestling fans could care less about Hogan and Flair's legacies.
:lol:

The Ravishing One
08-06-2010, 11:30 AM

While the WWE has tamed down alot since he made those comments - he still has sons breaking into the business. So i guess keeping his opinions to himself may be the best bet.

Attitude99
08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I Agree with him 100 % They destory their Legacy with that shit

itsmeJD
08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
While the WWE has tamed down alot since he made those comments - he still has sons breaking into the business. So i guess keeping his opinions to himself may be the best bet.

True, but still, if he is such a christian man with christian values, wouldn't he want to keep his sons from being "damned to hell" by joining such a horrible company? Granted they have toned down the violence and adult material, but it seems even the Million Dollar Man has a price...*cue theme*

Troelar
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I believe that the wrestling fan of today is more "business smart" then the fans of the 80's and early 90's. [...] The 2010 wrestling fan can tell when a wrestler has little or no wrestling ability, and relies on charisma. And that is Hogan's and Flair's problem. They never had the greatest wrestling ability, but they did have charisma. But today's wrestling fan can see right through that, and doesn't get enamored with that. The fans of the 80's and 90's would see Hogan, see his promos, and based on that alone, they would support him, because they would be like "He's awesome!" and no matter that he couldn't wrestle, they wouldn't overanalyze things, they would just support him in the ring.

I would have to disagree.
It seems you're either saying that the modern wrestling fan has somehow gotten beyond charisma - or places little value in it.
OR that the wrestling fan from ye olde days couldn't tell which wrestler had actual wrestling skill and which didn't. An inference which I think underestimates the fans of yesteryear!

Both inferences are in my view complete hogwash!
Charisma is still a big part of what makes a wrestler great. You can be the greatest technical wrestler in the world, but if you're out-miced by a brick wall, then getting anywhere near the top will be hard.
And I sincerely doubt that the internet has somehow educated the wrestling audience as to what is good technical wrestling - at least educated them beyond what earlier fans were able to know.

As for Hogan and Flair - well I guess it's their careers, and while I can see why some might think that they're tarnishing their careers - I'd like to hold my fluffy-bunny goggles close to my eyes and pretend they're doing it to help a new generation of wrestler! (On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know a way to stop being naive? I think I might need it)

Aguakate
08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, you're wrong.

Favre4Ever
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure Hogan and Flair can even be put in this same group in this conversation because their level of celebrity differs, and that IS a part of it whether you want to believe it or not. I certainly feel different about Hogan being in the ring still than I do Flair.

Kane Knight
08-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, you're wrong.

Perhaps on the altruism part...Shit, totally wrong on any notion of putting new talent over...But pretty much bang on everywhere else.

Honestly, what got Austin over?

a. Austin 3:16
b. Mat skills

What got Cena over?

a. Wigger freestyles
b. technical ability