PDA

View Full Version : What do they need to get to the next level: John Morrison

Mr. Nerfect
08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought I would start a new thread concept, and see how it goes. Basically, we're talking mid-carders/upper mid-carders who aren't quite at that main event level yet, and instead of just whinging about how they don't get a chance, we'll talk about just what they need to really make them a force which cannot be ignored by the WWE brass.

Let's start with John Morrison. When he started off in Tough Enough 3, he got the attention of the small section of fans who watched that show, busting out moves like the standing shooting star press. He went on to be one of the two winners of that season (along with Matt Cappotelli). After a brief run as Eric Bischoff's assistant on RAW, "Johnny Nitro" formed a team with Joey Mercury, and the two captured the WWE Tag Team Championship on three occasions, defeating such legendary performers as Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Batista, Road Warrior Animal and *cough* Heidenreich. After that team split up, Johnny Nitro took his valet and off-air girlfriend, Melina to RAW, where he performed as a singles star, winning the Intercontinental Championship twice.

After a short lived teaming with Kenny Dykstra, Nitro found himself drafted to RAW, where as the second most decorated man on the brand at that time, he found himself replacing the absent Chris Benoit against CM Punk for the then vacated ECW Championship at Vengeance: Night of Champions. After winning that match, Johnny Nitro would change his persona from being a Hollywood tag along, to becoming the man we know today -- John Morrison, Rock Star.

It is on ECW that Morrison developed some of his signature maneuvers, such as the Moonlight Drive (inverted swinging neckbreaker), Starship Pain (split-legged corkscrew moonsault) and the Flying Chuck (springboard roundhouse kick). He also formed a team with ECW Championship rival, The Miz, and the two captured the WWE Tag Team Championship and World Tag Team Championship, and would often appear on all three brands, due to talent exchange agreements between SmackDown! and ECW, as well as holding RAW titles. During this time, The Miz & Morrison hosted a WWE.com show called "The Dirt Sheet," which showed off their more satirical side.

When The Miz got drafted to RAW, "The A-Listers" disbanded with The Miz attacking John Morrison. Since then, JoMo captured another Intercontinental Championship by defeating Rey Mysterio whilst with the SmackDown! brand, and has since returned to his brand of origin on RAW, where he now is seemingly fluctuating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although he has flirted with the main event scene on SmackDown! and ECW, on RAW the most important program Morrison has been involved with has been being one of Cena's recruits against the Nexus group -- a team of seven men all with less tenure in the WWE than Morrison himself. What does The Artist Formerly Known as Johnny Blaze need to do to permanently move up to the top of the WWE ladder?

Does he need to learn to play his new face role better? Does he need a better connection with the WWE crowds? Are his mic skills subpar? Is his ring work too flashy, and not fundamentally structured enough? Is the current John Morrison character played out, or untruthful to its roots? Does he need to change his wardrobe or ring attire? Would something as simple as a move to SmackDown!, where the matches are longer and the roster tiers are less stoic be of help to Morrison?

What are your thoughts?

Haze
08-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I would have said face/heel change, but I really think they just need to tweak his character a bit without making him do a complete 180.

Kane Knight
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
TURN HIM HEEL!

Fixes everything.

But seriously, he's got the look, the ring skills, and the charisma. He just needs to work the mic better.

Ultra Mantis
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Ideally Morrison should have stayed on Smackdown where he had the chance to work longer midcard matches. I would have loved to see him in programs with Punk, Swagger and Cody. His babyface character is pretty bland too, it seems they removed pretty much everything that made his heel persona so entertaining and just kept the look.

He either needs to turn heel or they need to give his face character his personality back if they want people to buy into him as main event. He sounds like he doesn't buy into what he's being told to say, and the old "give sunglasses to a child" routine doesn't suit him at all.

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I think the Morrison character fits better as a heel than face. It's odd seeing him pander to the fans while trying to be cocky etc not to mention his mic skills as a face are atrocious. I liked him alot better pre face turn. I also think with all the big names on RAW getting a main event push could be hard to come by as well. If they moved him to Smackdown I think he'd see much more success as the glass ceiling is not as low there.

VSG
08-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Get a finisher that actually connects with the other guy.

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Get a finisher that actually connects with the other guy.

Everytime I see him attempt this I think the same exact thing...has he ever hit ANYBODY with it properly? Or just with his chin and an occasional arm.

Xero
08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
He needs much better mic skills, a bit more charisma and a different look. Character change would probably help too. He feels like the same God damn thing since Miz and Morrison broke up and I don't feel he's improved since then. If anything he's stayed the same.

I've said it before, but I never thought in a million years that Miz would be the one to break out and become the success. There's still time for Morrison, but I feel he's plateaued and Miz just keeps moving up.

I think he would have prospered if tag teams were still big. Even after Miz I feel he could have had more success with someone (who isn't R Truth) than this pathetic singles run.

Mooияakeя™
08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I thought he was awesome entertainment with the Miz. Just need to let him rush with it. If they push him, I see Morrison as one of the guys who will just take to it naturally. Sorta, "you have faith in me, and I'll pay you back ten-fold".

BizarroKing
08-08-2010, 11:13 AM
He seems fine, they just need to actually TRY and push him!

St. Jimmy
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
He's lackluster no matter what you do.

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call him lackluster, physically he can go if he ever learns to hit his finisher, but he needs to really work to improve his character and mic skills if he doesn't wanna be the Marty Jannetty of Miz and Morrison.

St. Jimmy
08-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call him lackluster, physically he can go if he ever learns to hit his finisher, but he needs to really work to improve his character and mic skills if he doesn't wanna be the Marty Jannetty of Miz and Morrison.

More like the Bodacious Bart of the New Midnight Express. The Miz is equally lackluster.

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
LOL Bodacious Bart.....then again, Bombastic Bob never was worth a shit in my opinion either. I like Miz simply because my wife can't fucking stand him and leaves the room when he comes out because she thinks he's fucking annoying.

St. Jimmy
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Your wife is a smart lady.

bigslimjj
08-08-2010, 11:37 AM
he sneezed during a meeting with Vince.....

#1-norm-fan
08-08-2010, 12:10 PM
He reminds me so much of Shawn Michaels.

He got big as part of a tag team and branched out, becoming far bigger than his partner.

He's arguably the best wrestler in the company right now with a gimmick better suited for a heel but the man himself would be a dynamic superstar face.

That being said, I think the logic thing to do is go the HBK route. He should have stayed heel for a bit longer after the Miz break-up, gotten over that way, maybe dabbled in the main event, coming close but never really winning the world title. And then give him some sort of sympathy face turn and have him just be amazing in the ring and eventually win the world title he struggled to get as a heel.

Londoner
08-08-2010, 12:17 PM
He seems fine, they just need to actually TRY and push him!

This, but its Raw, so they wont.

St. Jimmy
08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
He reminds me so much of Shawn Michaels.

He got big as part of a tag team and branched out, becoming far bigger than his partner.

He's arguably the best wrestler in the company right now with a gimmick better suited for a heel but the man himself would be a dynamic superstar face.

That being said, I think the logic thing to do is go the HBK route. He should have stayed heel for a bit longer after the Miz break-up, gotten over that way, maybe dabbled in the main event, coming close but never really winning the world title. And then give him some sort of sympathy face turn and have him just be amazing in the ring and eventually win the world title he struggled to get as a heel.

He reminds me of HBK too, ya know! Minus... the talent, charisma, look, charm, and drive...

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
and mic skills....has anyone heard him talk as a face???????

Volare
08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
If only Sherri Martel were still alive...Morrison would on top of the world.

itsmeJD
08-08-2010, 12:26 PM

yup, then she could just erase the Shawn on her "tattoo" and put in John instead :-)

Cuse8
08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
change his gimmick completely...cut his hair short..wear shorts style tights and just being a cocky jack of all traits guy...similiar to styles..minus the retarded robe styles is now sporting

Lock Jaw
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
His mic skills have improved slightly since he dropped the "monotone sarcastic robot" thing that got everyone to love him as a heel, but he hasn't really been given the opportunity to shine.

Jeritron
08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
John Morrison has been in the show for 5 or so years now. Time is certainly not the problem, since he's been in the uppermidcard for most of that time. If he's going to be a big star, he needs to step up and do it soon.

Waylander
08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I voted both time and better ring skills. The latter was chosen because the option of 'better moveset' was absent from the list.

In hindsight I think with the look he has he would be more effective as a baddie.

blak23
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
first i'd like to say this is a great concept i hope you continue it.

john morrison i simply have to say imo works better as a heel he could easily be this generations version of the hbk persona

The Pope
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Only thing he needs is the mic skills but wtf, push him dumbasses!

SaskatchewanChamp
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I said a change of scenery, as in changing his last name too Cena.

The Pope
08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh, so a change of Cena-ry?

bigslimjj
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, so a change of Cena-ry?

he would have forget like half of his moves and start wearing jorts.

Kane Knight
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Only thing he needs is the mic skills but wtf, push him dumbasses!

i love that. He needs what is probably most critical to success in the industry (far as televised wrestling in the States goes...You know, where he is), but push him, dumbasses!

Morrison's fine where he is right now.

XCaliber
08-08-2010, 07:46 PM
He needs to be repackaged a little and needs to go back to being a heel.

Providence Peep
08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Morrison isn't "over" because the WWE Universe doesn't like furry footwear. :|
On a serious note, I think the problem with Morrison is that he's a face, while everything about his image screams heel. That means his character definitely needs to be tweaked or changed completely.
Oh, and he needs a better finishing move.

jerichoholicninja
08-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Incredibly boring and bland as a face. He needs to go back to being the cocky heel from the Place of Wisdom and the Monday/Tuesday/Friday Night delight.

He also needs to ditch Starship Pain as a finisher, maybe use it as a signature move like the Lionsault, and don't even think about going back to the Moonlight Drive. He needs a move that has impact. Like someone else said he reminds a little bit of HBK and I think he could use the Superkick as his finisher.

AJHayes
08-08-2010, 10:52 PM
change his gimmick completely...cut his hair short..wear shorts style tights and just being a cocky jack of all traits guy...similiar to styles..minus the retarded robe styles is now sporting

Give one good reason why.

Kane Knight
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
On a serious note, I think the problem with Morrison is that he's a face, while everything about his image screams heel. That means his character definitely needs to be tweaked or changed completely.

I don't think everything about him screams heel. His look is fine for a face. Plus, I'm pretty sure he could end up as perfect Estrogen Bait as-is. If he could speak, he'd likely be in the main event, since WWE seems so high on him. I mean, they could turn him heel again, but his mic skills would still suck. And they could tweak him to be a better face, but he'd still come off as bland as forced (at least as a heel, he came off as somewhat more natural).

rated rjo
08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Even when he was a heel, his mic skills weren't that great. He just doesn't come off as natural when he's talking compared to guys like Punk, The Miz, Barrett, and Jericho.

The Gold Standard
08-09-2010, 01:55 AM

This

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2010, 04:55 AM
I've separated mic skills and charisma here, and I was tempted to go with mic skills. It's just the awkward delivery Morrison has as a babyface. It's not that the character can't work as a face, in my opinion, it's that they've altered the character from its true roots. People wanted to cheer John Morrison, and now they're being asked to cheer John Hennigan dressed as John Morrison.

Morrison's charisma is fine. The guy looks like a star, and gives off the presence of a star. His charisma carried his wonky mic skills as a heel, and allowed him to deliver some better-than-expected promos. They need to channel that charisma through his current promos somehow.

RiX1024
08-09-2010, 07:10 AM
2 things....improve his mic skills, he's a tad bland and turn him heel, you can't have a vain looking face.

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Some things to consider in regards to Morrison's status as a babyface and a move to SmackDown!:

-The guy is on RAW. Matches are shorter there, and the big stars roam. John Cena and Randy Orton are the top faces there. Triple H will no doubt be returning to the RAW brand soon, but let's just take a look at the active roster. Is Morrison the default #3 when you really look at things? If not, who else is actually higher than him? Could Morrison's status as a face solely be hindered because he is on SmackDown!, where Cena & Orton rule the roost?

-I believe John Morrison's sunglasses on WWE Shop do quite well for themselves. Right now, I think Morrison is moving more merchandise than Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston, Christian, and quite a few other top WWE faces. A lot of this may have to do with Morrison actually being on RAW, but financially Morrison's run as a face, while not setting the world on storm, is making the WWE a bit of money here and there. While Morrison may not be enough of a cash turner to be immune to a heel turn, and some heels such as the Nexus and The Miz are moving more merchandise than Morrison -- could merchandising be why he isn't on SmackDown!, and the current top stars being who they are be the reason he isn't currently headlining?

addy2hotty
08-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Noid, with the exception of the 'Top Selling Products' part on WWEShop, where do you get information on merch sales from?

Mr. Nerfect
08-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I was reading a column that reports these things. I'm not sure how accurate it all is, but whatever -- it's something to at least ponder.

Jeritron
08-10-2010, 02:31 AM
I highly doubt he's moving more merchandise than Rey Mysterio. No clue about Christian or Kofi, but whatever, they all seem about equal in terms of popularity.

Mr. Nerfect
08-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I found that hard to believe, too, but this is just what that report said. I know people thought the polls were rigged and such, but when they did that "Viewer's Choice" thing, Morrison also got in over Christian. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with Morrison's exposure on RAW, but it's something to think about. Either Morrison is more popular than Christian; or the WWE just wants him to be.

Kane Knight
08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
that he's outselling Mysterio should have instead been a red flag to the accuracy, rather than something worth reporting.

DaBrasko
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Is the match this Sunday elimination style? If so have Cena and Morrison be the last 2 on team wwe and have them eliminate everyone on Nexus except 3. Cena gets eliminated and Morrison is left to fend for himslef. Have him over come the odds and eliminates the remaining members of Nexus. Boom! major momentum for John into any program with anyone.

Kane Knight
08-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Is the match this Sunday elimination style? If so have Cena and Morrison be the last 2 on team wwe and have them eliminate everyone on Nexus except 3. Cena gets eliminated and Morrison is left to fend for himslef. Have him over come the odds and eliminates the remaining members of Nexus. Boom! major momentum for John into any program with anyone.

As long as he keeps his mouth shut, it might work.

Aguakate
08-11-2010, 12:59 AM
...Is it just me, or does it seem that lately the answer on how to push ANYONE is turning them heel? It just WORKS. It's a sure-way to get a wrestler over, provided he has the talent and that the company gets behind him.

The Pope
08-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Orton is jealous of his looks, therefore, he will never get to the main event.

Dave Youell
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Fire him, seriously. He's been on tv for 7 years and I've not warmed to him at all.

His moveset is over the top flippy shit with no impact (I fucking hate starship pain)
His music sucks
Nothing has changed about his persona from his original turn
He has the charisma of a piece of toast

Ironically, the best he's been on the mic was when he first started as Bischoffs lackie. He just seems to regress when he's by himself, shines when he's got someone to bounce off.

Just get rid of the guy

Mr. C
08-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Here’s my vision for John Morrison:

Hair would stay the same, he could grow it out a bit more. Switch to tights with a logo somewhere printed like Calvin Klein’s logo, and I’d go for those boots ala Chris Jericho, just with “Morrison” written down the sides, and white wrist tape. They just need to write a heel turn for him, and it will all work out.

CSL
08-30-2010, 12:32 AM
A personality.

CSL
08-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Apparently I'm a bit late to the party.

Schlomey
08-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I voted for everything but time and nothing.

Dude can do so much more in the ring than what we are seeing I guarantee it. The dude is lame as shit on the mic unless he's doing the dirt sheet. He needs to be heel because he has a face that needs hated. He needs a makeover and please get rid of the lame bell bottom pants.

Basically yea, time and nothing are the only ones that don't apply.

Mr. Nerfect
08-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Morrison is way too much of a face, I agree. I'd like to see his feud with Ted DiBiase go somewhere. I'd have Ted DiBiase come out and cut a promo about how amazing he is, and then Morrison interrupts. Without being awkward and dorky (hopefully), Morrison can put down DiBiase. "Material possessions mean nothing to me, as The Epitome of Enlightenment -- but to take your possessions away from you would be quite rewarding for me. How about at Night of Champions you put that Million Dollar Championship on the line against me?"

DiBiase fires off on Morrison: "This isn't a sanctioned title; this is mine, and I can't be compelled to defend it." Then the GM pipes in, and via Michael Cole it is announced that the GM has been in contact with Ted DiBiase, and he's actually informed the General Manager that if DiBiase wants to carry around the Million Dollar Title, he must defend it occasionally. The GM does confirm DiBiase vs. Morrison at Night of Champions.

There, Maryse and Melina have a backstage interaction where Maryse reminds Melina who the dominant Diva in the WWE is, or whatever. When Maryse tries to get involved in Morrison's match, Melina takes her out of it -- and Morrison capitalies and pins DiBiase to become the new Million Dollar Champion. He and Melina then embrace in the ring, and you go from there -- hopefully with Morrison having more momentum behind him.