PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Blu-Ray Announced for Fall 2011, Deleted Scene Revealed

Cad Bane
08-15-2010, 08:11 AM
At Star Wars Celebration V, George Lucas finally made the big announcement that the entire Star Wars saga would be released in a Blu-Ray box set in Fall 2011. According to IGN, the set will feature “all six live-action Star Wars feature films, with the highest picture and audio quality,” along with extensive extras like “documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.”

Lucas premiered one of the long-lost deleted scenes which will be included in the release, a scene from Return of the Jedi which involved Luke Skywalker assembling his new, green-bladed lightsaber prior to infiltrating Jabba the Hutt’s palace, and stashing it in R2-D2’s dome. The scene has completed visual effects and music because it was cut right before the final edit of the film was made during post production. Someone has captured the scene on video (found via AICN):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc&feature=player_embedded

Lucas said that the original trilogy films included on the Blu-Ray release will be the remastered special editions. He explained:

“Releasing the originals is kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good. You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally. It’s a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.”

Kane Knight
08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Bullshit.

D Mac
08-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Yesssss

Lock Jaw
08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Not gonna get it if it isn't the original versions.

Cad Bane
08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree. I have never figured out why Lucas hates his original work so much. I know he said that he didnt have the tech back then but did he really need the tech for 1977 to show Greedo shooting first? And while I find that deleted scene to be pretty cool - if that gets added in - it totally kills off the surprise later in the movie when you're trying to figure out how in the hell they are going to escape when they are in the desert.

Maybe I should consider becoming a full-time Star Trek fan.

Kane Knight
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Greedo shooting first was actually removed from the SE version (with the "bonus" original version), which kind of kills the "how I always envisioned it" crap.

Lucas is just an author. A lot of authors love to revise their works, and need to know when to stop. He gets away with it because he's jhuge, and has always prided himself of visuals and the like.

Jeritron
08-15-2010, 01:13 PM
There was never any proof or confirmation of that deleted scene even existing, so that's pretty crazy.
It will be interesting to see what else they have. There were several rumored deleted scenes for years, and some confirmed, but now it looks as though there may be more.

Funky Fly
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
It's on Blu-ray, so why not put both versions on it. The disc should certainly have the space for it.

D Mac
08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
True, true

Jeritron
08-15-2010, 08:02 PM
They should indeed put both versions. Or all 3 versions, although I can't think of anyone who would want the 1997 updates when the 2004 ones are better.
The theatrical versions will get properly restored and put on dvd eventually. It's money to be made. They're just waiting, which is a shame.
I'm actually shocked that deleted scenes like this exist and haven't seen the light of day yet. That's patience for profit.

McLegend
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I have seen the special editions so much I don't even remember what was added and not added.

One thing that I do know for sure is that Hayden Christensen being in the end of Return of Jedi is really stupid. Looks so out of place.

Kane Knight
08-15-2010, 09:29 PM
It's on Blu-ray, so why not put both versions on it. The disc should certainly have the space for it.

Even better, since less popular and lucrative franchises have gone through with extensive digital transfers.

Kane Knight
08-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know. I may buy them anyway, but I'm not sure. I mean, Star Wars looks good on DVD. The stuff that looks the worst is the CG, and I don't watch the versions with the added shit. If they can't be arsed to give us the originals, I'm not sure buying like a fifth copy of each movie is worth it.

Jeritron
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I have seen the special editions so much I don't even remember what was added and not added.

One thing that I do know for sure is that Hayden Christensen being in the end of Return of Jedi is really stupid. Looks so out of place.

I'm not pro or anti with the changes either way really. Some people really are.
I do think it's ridiculous not to just remaster the theatrical releases and give both sides their versions.
The changes are a mixed bag. Things like Hayden Christensen replacing the original Anakin's ghost, or changing Boba Fett's voice, or Greedo shooting first (or same time now), are just stupid and pointless. They stick out.

Other changes like placing the proper actor for the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back, or cleaning up lightsaber effects and matting on miniatures are more than fine by me.

McLegend
08-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Lol this thread is the first time I have ever heard the "Greedo shot first." Never knew he oringinally didn't.

Jeritron
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/29/han-shot-first.jpg

McLegend
08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Harrison Ford has no idea what the meaning of that shirt is.

Lock Jaw
08-15-2010, 11:36 PM
My main issue with the changes is pretty much the music. Where they change it in the first movie in Mos Eyesly, or however you spell that. Then in Return of the Jedi in Jabba's Palace and the Ewok Celebration at the end (and all those other planets added into the celebration).

Everything else, meh.

Jeritron
08-15-2010, 11:43 PM
They didn't change any music in the first movie

Lock Jaw
08-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Maybe I'm mixing it up in my mind with Jabba's Palace then.

Jeritron
08-16-2010, 12:32 AM
The Jabba's Palace musical number is certainly awful. Probably the worst change overall

Jeritron
08-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Plus there was no reason to get rid of this song

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrOSuY12Rrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrOSuY12Rrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

McLegend
08-16-2010, 01:49 AM
This whole Greedo Han Solo thing is blowing my mind.

The Mackem
08-16-2010, 03:46 AM
Didn't they add an extra song in the Cantina or something. It's been a while since I've seen the films and they've messed about with them that much that I don't know what is what but I maintain that the worst is Empire Strikes Back. The whole add Vader voice where he asks for his shuttle at Bespin and showing the shuttle going to the star destroyer and then landing with the scene from Return of the Jedi is just awful and looks and feels amateurish.

Jeritron
08-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Empire by far has the least changes, and probably got the best end of the deal, but to each his own.
It has the needless change of Boba Fett's voice which is just awful

Fignuts
08-16-2010, 06:01 AM
This whole Greedo Han Solo thing is blowing my mind.

Original scene was so much more badass.

The Mackem
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Empire by far has the least changes, and probably got the best end of the deal, but to each his own.
It has the needless change of Boba Fett's voice which is just awful

They ruined the whole film in the space of about two minutes thanks to additional footage.

Cad Bane
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Plus there was no reason to get rid of this song

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrOSuY12Rrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrOSuY12Rrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Or this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs)

Savio
08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Fuck Star wars.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Original scene was so much more badass.

The best scene in Star Wars is now ruined for me. The entire movie is also ruined for me.... Fuck

Also it annoys me in Revenge of the Sith how no one mentions the circle being complete or not complete. How does Georgr Lucas not have that in there. That is a gross oversight.

Confused
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Star Wars was never something I was hugely into. The prequels were probably some of the worst films I've ever sat down and watched. Dreadful stuff.

Savio
08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Also it annoys me in Revenge of the Sith how no one mentions the circle being complete or not complete. How does Georgr Lucas not have that in there. That is a gross oversight.
What?

Droford
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
i like how that deleted scene is basically "OMG HE KNOWS HOW TO TURN A LIGHTSABRE ON" and the crowd goes nuts for it.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
What?

In Star Wars right before Darth Vader/Obi Wan Light saber duel. Darth Vader says.

Darth Vader: I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master.
Obi-Wan: Only a master of evil, Darth.
[lightsabers clash]

There should have been some sort of mention to that in Revenge of the Sith.

Fignuts
08-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Well the circle wasn't complete in sith. Vader was still the learner, as evidenced by the amputationms obi-wan dished out.

Fignuts
08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Star Wars was never something I was hugely into. The prequels were probably some of the worst films I've ever sat down and watched. Dreadful stuff.

You must not watch many films.

Not saying they were great, but worst you've ever seen? Come on.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Well the circle wasn't complete in sith. Vader was still the learner, as evidenced by the amputationms obi-wan dished out.

Why couldn't Obi-wan say something dramtic like "The Circle is completed yet Anakin." Right before the final battle in Sith.

It would have worked.

Fignuts
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I dunno, cause it was just an expression in the first movie. Not an actual ritual or anything like that. They paid homage enough to the original trilogy, they don't need to recite lines from it too.

Lock Jaw
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Overall, that's a pretty inconsequential thing to hold over it. Especially when there are so many bigger things you could complain about.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I disargee. It would have been cool at the very least

Could of have mentioned something about the circle in the other 2 movies at least.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Overall, that's a pretty inconsequential thing to hold over it. Especially when there are so many bigger things you could complain about.

Damn you and your sense Lock Jaw.

Jeritron
08-16-2010, 07:01 PM
The circle isn't a real thing in Star Wars I dunno what you mean. It's a cool line I guess but I think you have placed more meaning on it than there ever was.
It's a figure of speech referring to the proverbial circle being complete in that moment. It's said a million times, about a million things, in a million movies. He just meant that they had come full circle since they last met.
I'm sure it was the last thing on Lucas, or anyone making/watching those films mind's at any point

McLegend
08-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I understand that. It just would have been cool, and it's not like would have taken that much time.

Jeritron
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a list of things I wished happened as well. I think that was one of the big handicaps the prequels had going in.
Not that they didn't have their own fundamental flaws, but everyone had an opinion on the story and details.

McLegend
08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
That's a good point that I never really thought of.