PDA

View Full Version : Most Disappointing Wrestlemania Matches Ever That Had Big Hype

CWK
08-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Hogan vs. Sid Justice at WM 8 would be a big one for me, even though the ending was awesome with Warrior returning, I thought the match sucked.

It runs a distant second though to Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar at WM 20. That was an utterly horrible match. Even with Austin as the special ref, and in MSG. Those guys failed on that night. Awful.

What other matches come to mind?

YoungFlyFlashy
08-21-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/touts/feature/29062/6686874

Team Sheep
08-21-2010, 06:58 PM
John Cena vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 23:

This is simple. Not a very good match. The classic they had on Raw a couple of weeks later should have been the Wrestlemania match. Very disappointing.

Randy Orton vs Triple H - Wrestlemania 25:

This should have been a huge blow off match after an intense feud, not to mention all the history. Instead the crowd was dead, it was slow, boring and in all honesty, nothing happened. No flow, no outside involvement (not saying that there had to be but it certainly would have spiced the awful match up a bit after the 2 month build involved Vince, Shane, Stephanie and Legacy). Also, Batista returned the next night on Raw. Would have been a memorable Wrestlemania moment and saved the match to have had him involved.

Calamondin
08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Goldberg vs. Lesnar. I honestly don't remember the build up to the feud and whether it was good or horrible, but those two in a ring should have been awesome. It probably didn't help that both were leaving at that point.

Nowhere Man
08-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Booker T vs. Triple H at Mania 19. Worst goddamn ending to a match ever.

parkmania
08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero :shifty:

BizarroKing
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Besides Goldberg vs Lesnar, this year's MITB match and the Bam Bam Bigelow vs Lawrence Taylor match.

Jordan
08-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Triple H/Jericho

Mr. C
08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon sucked.

Jordan
08-21-2010, 09:38 PM

I know right? I was expecting it to be really good. :|

Nicky Fives
08-21-2010, 09:41 PM
HHH/Cena where everyone thought Cena would job, but he didn't

rob11
08-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Booker T vs. Triple H at Mania 19. Worst goddamn ending to a match ever.
That ending was awful. What a way for Booker to job.

YoungFlyFlashy
08-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah, basically anything Hogan was in seriously, I go back to re-watch those matches and it is painful, with maybe the exception of Warrior and The Rock.

Jakob Synn
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalaz

Beth Phoenix Fan
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Undertaker/Bossman Hell in a Cell

it had a great build up but it wasn't as good as other hell in a cell matches

Jakob Synn
08-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Undertaker/Bossman Hell in a Cell

it had a great build up but it wasn't as good as other hell in a cell matches

After he returned from WCW in '98 his character presence was gone.

The Bossman was an incredible character. His match with the Mountie at Summerslam '91 where the loser had to go to jail was classic.

YoungFlyFlashy
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
After he returned from WCW in '98 his character presence was gone.

The Bossman was an incredible character. His match with the Mountie at Summerslam '91 where the loser had to go to jail was classic.

Just saw that on the Summer Slam Recall, and yes it was classic. The interview before the match with the Bossman was classic, let me see if I could dig up that interview.

YoungFlyFlashy
08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
The Bossman vs The Mountie, history recap, and prematch interviews included with the match.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dCqeuL_mLec?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dCqeuL_mLec?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4tHcYWS7TE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4tHcYWS7TE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Anybody Thrilla
08-22-2010, 12:06 AM
John Cena vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 23:

I still don't get why so many people shit on this match. I thought it was thoroughly entertaining.

BizarroKing
08-22-2010, 12:42 AM

Keep in mind Bret did have a concussion and a stroke...but yes.

Chavo Classic
08-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Oh man, HHH versus Orton from Wrestlemania 25. If dropping Morrison and Miz versus the Colons and letting Kid Rock on stage for what felt like an hour wasn't enough, then this really put the icing on that crap-pile.

bigslimjj
08-22-2010, 02:06 PM
umaga vs lashley

YoungFlyFlashy
08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Keep in mind Bret did have a concussion and a stroke...but yes.

Seriously tired of these excuses! He got in the ring, WWE built part of WM around this match to increase interest and increase the chance of hard working people to drop 60 dollars atleast on PPV if not much more live. The match sucked, simple, garbage, one big let down, nothing changes that fact. If you can't go, then don't go.

FourFifty
08-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Bam Bam vs that football player.

YoungFlyFlashy
08-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Bam Bam vs that football player.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/04/13/5/342/3425287/c3849c58ffce0ece_Lawrence_t.xxlarge.jpg

Lawrence Taylor

Furious Beardsley
08-23-2010, 02:36 AM
HHH vs. Randy Orton at WM25. It should have been an exciting match, but it wasn't, obviously.

Close close 2nd is Bret Hart vs. Vince. Actually they may be tied.

Emperor Smeat
08-23-2010, 02:49 AM
WM 2000 (WM 16) main event of The Rock vs Triple H vs Big Show vs Mankind. Each wrestler had a McMahon in their corner and the McMahons themselves were in a bitter family splitting feud.

Big Show didn't even last for 5 minutes in the match while the ending turns out that Vince and Shane McMahon pretended to hate each other and helped Triple H retain the title.

Tom Guycott
08-23-2010, 02:55 AM
I still don't get why so many people shit on this match. I thought it was thoroughly entertaining.

Because the words "John" and "Cena" in tandem require whatever follows it to automaticaly be shit on, no matter how good it may or may not be in reality. It's an unwritten IWC rule, y'know!

Tazz Dan
08-23-2010, 03:11 AM
If any of you actually expected a classic from Bret and Vince and was let down by the 'match', you deserved to be.

Trip
08-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Triple H/Jericho

I had high hopes for that one too, very disappointing.

BizarroKing
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
WM 2000 (WM 16) main event of The Rock vs Triple H vs Big Show vs Mankind. Each wrestler had a McMahon in their corner and the McMahons themselves were in a bitter family splitting feud.

Big Show didn't even last for 5 minutes in the match while the ending turns out that Vince and Shane McMahon pretended to hate each other and helped Triple H retain the title.

A lot of Wrestlemania 2000 was strange. There seemed to be a lot of tag matches which seems odd for WM.
Also, little offtopic fact: This event was the 1st time I ever saw WWF if I recall.

GD
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x20tyq?additionalInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x20tyq?additionalInfos=0" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20tyq_triple-h-vs-ultimate-warrior_sport">Triple H vs Ultimate Warrior</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Daivari_Fan91">Daivari_Fan91</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/in/channel/sport">Basketball, baseball, pro wrestling and more sports videos.</a></i>

glanville6
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I have to disagree with Cena-Michaels at WM23. I was there and loved the match.

The whole Bret Hart-Vince match to me, and again I was there so its easy to judge ones I was at, was disappointing. No, never expected a classic. But the match DID have big hype, and thats what the thread is all about.

Reasons it sucked
1. Bret's new music
2. Bret's "wrestling" gear
3. The lumberjacks.

I understand that Bret wanted to protect his legacy and be himself now because he wasn't the same Bret Hart. So new music and no Pink and Black tights. Well, that takes away a lot of the fun of the match for me. We don't want to see a new Bret Hart. And we didn't need that long stupid promo of Bret screwing Vince or whatever, with the whole Hart family...that without Owen and Stu, no one really cares about.

This match wouldn't have sucked if it was booked by me. Bret still comes out to his good music, comes out in his pink and black, kicks Vince in the nuts, stomps him for a bit, sharpshooter. Over in 3 minutes. Short and sweet.

So I agree with those who did say they were disappointed in the match. It wasn't entertaining at all despite the buildup.

glanville6
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
And to answer the question, since I was there, again... I didn't care for Jericho and Edge this year. Thought it was very dull.

I really thought Batista and Cena was 10 times better than Jericho and Edge. And I'm not a Batista fan.

And just to throw out an opinion, I was at Wrestlemania 22 in Chicago, my hometown...and I thought this show sucked as a whole. Mark Henry vs Taker was disappointing. Although when Taker faces guys not named Kane, HHH, and of course HBK...its not going to be very exciting.

Not bragging about going to a few Manias either...just easier to remember what I liked and didn't like.

Damian Rey
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I actually love Cena/HHH from Mania 22. The crowd was epic hot and they put on a great match. i think the dislike for the match comes from fans who wanted to see Cena job but because he didn't, it left a stigma on the match itself.

For me, HHH/Orton from last year was an epic let down. They had, arguably, the hottest, most personal feuds in recent memory. Everything was in line for a great match. And it's not as if these two guys are known for putting on stinkers. But the match was slow, dry, and just didn't have that same intensity that the weeks of television preceding it was packed full with.

Orton, even though he lost, should have came out of that match looking like a monster. He should have dominated the whole time looking like the vicious, vindictive ruthless monster they had spent months building him up as. Instead, we got an Orton who could barely keep up and looked useless the end of the match. I really felt Orton's character lost a lot of steam at that point.

The booking should have had Vince and co. coming out and saving Hunter's ass so the end was a family united to defeat a common evil, which still would have had Orton looking good even though he lost.

The Show Off
08-23-2010, 06:31 PM

I love Wrestlemania 2000 and it's main event. The main event is one of my favorite Wrestlemania main events ever. I guess that's just the difference in opnions.

RatedGSuperstar
08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Hart/McMahon was meant to be a WrestleMania spectacle, not a match. Saying you were disappointed in that is like saying you were disappointed in Big Show/Mayweather.

XL
08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
This match wouldn't have sucked if it was booked by me. Bret still comes out to his good music, comes out in his pink and black, kicks Vince in the nuts, stomps him for a bit, sharpshooter. Over in 3 minutes. Short and sweet.

So I agree with those who did say they were disappointed in the match. It wasn't entertaining at all despite the buildup.
1) The music doesn't make the match any better/worse.
2) He would have looked awful in the tights. I'm sure he knows this and that's why he doesn't wear them.
3) A three minute match isn't a very good payoff for a fued dating back 13 years.

I'm not saying that the match was good by any stretch of the imagination, but your ideas on how to make it better are absurd.

Jordan
08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
You couldn't have expected much from Bam Bam vs LT, or Bret vs Vince but something like Jericho/Triple H or Orton/Triple H you expect to deliver and it doesn't.

A lot of the time a match will be a surprise like Edge/Undertaker, or Batista/Triple H which I think came off better than it had any right to be.

However, another match that disapointed me was the huge main event at Wrestlemania 2000. That could have been something really special, I figured it would end up with The Rock vs Mankind or Triple H vs Mankind, but we ended up getting Rock/Triple H 1 on 1 for 10 minutes doing nothing better than they had before.

Honestly, Triple H has blown it several times as far as having a classic is concerned.

I do miss him at the moment sure, but his Wrestlemania record is pretty weak when it comes to great matches. At least for the amount of big time matches he has had.

Of course the Triple Threat with HBK and Chris, then his match with Taker was awesome, his match with Batista was good, and his match with Booker T was amazing until the finish.

What's up with H?

Damian Rey
08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
What's up with H?

Who knows, but outside of the Batista match I agree with you. His match with Sheamus this year was so refreshing. That was probably my most like Mania match from him since Mania 22 with Cena.

XL
08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah, HHH v Rock should really have headlined WM2000. Their history is so intertwined that it deserved that one Mania Main Event - especialy with Taker and Austin out of the picture.

glanville6
08-23-2010, 08:21 PM
1) The music doesn't make the match any better/worse.
2) He would have looked awful in the tights. I'm sure he knows this and that's why he doesn't wear them.
3) A three minute match isn't a very good payoff for a fued dating back 13 years.

I'm not saying that the match was good by any stretch of the imagination, but your ideas on how to make it better are absurd.

Yeah I gotcha. I'm sorry.

Anybody Thrilla
08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Hart/McMahon was meant to be a WrestleMania spectacle, not a match. Saying you were disappointed in that is like saying you were disappointed in Big Show/Mayweather.

The thing is, I actually thought Big Show/Mayweather was very entertaining.

Big Show/Akebono....now there's another story.

Damian Rey
08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
The thing is, I actually thought Big Show/Mayweather was very entertaining.

Big Show/Akebono....now there's another story.

Big Show/Mayweather was a great match considering. Everything about it was well done.

MrMyc
08-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Gotta disagree on the Cena/HHH match. At that point for me and most of my friends watching it was a matter of the lesser of 2 evils. I did not and still don't want to see another HHH title run. I don't care for Cena either but it was great to see a match where i really couldn't tell who was gonna win. That might've been the only time i've ever pulled for Cena.

Team Sheep
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I loved Cena/HHH. Because of the crowd mainly. But the two really fed off of it and put on a great back and forth battle. That's probably my most pleasantly surprising Mania match tbh.