PDA

View Full Version : Scarface isn't all that great

El Capitano Gatisto
04-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Al Pacino is good in it, but as a film it isn't as great as some bastards would have you think it is.

If it wasn't for Al being such a hilarious bastard, it would probably be turd.

I know people who go on about it, and other people who will buy it on DVD never having seen it, when it's available for rent in huge amounts, because they "heard it's great". That is why it kind of annoys me that it gets the "classic" tag, when it isn't, and Big Trouble in Little China is.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Post other supposedly great films that aren't all that great. Fight Club, American History X and Requiem for a Dream spring to mind right now. The first two are good, but not nearly as great as people say, and the third is terrible.

Triple A
04-20-2004, 12:24 AM
I dunno, when I first saw it, I thought the same thing. I was sorta disappointed, but after watching it a bunch more times, I've grown to love it.

Triple A
04-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Then again, I love everything Al Pacino is in where he acts over the top. :love:

El Capitano Gatisto
04-20-2004, 12:28 AM
That is what elevates it, I suppose, and the reputation for violence.

el fregadero
04-20-2004, 12:32 AM
I first saw it because Pacino was in and I love it for his performance in it.

Fight Club is an overrated movie, imo.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Fight Club was kinda iffy when I watched the 2nd time after finding out the big shock bu I still love it

Shaggy
04-20-2004, 12:39 AM
I saw Scarface for the first time on TV and I thought it was pretty well done. I wont go out like the big rappers on MTV Cribs and buy Scarface fans, window blinds, bed sheets, wall covering and etc.. But I did think it was pretty good for its time and is still good today. And it had an ending which was bad ass.

Triple A
04-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, Lost in Translation are.

#1-norm-fan
04-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Woah. I just got flamed a couple weeks ago for telling some friends the same thing about Scareface. Black people LOVE that movie for some reason. It's terribly overrated IMO.

Also, Lost in Translation was a pretty big disapointment.

PapaGeorgio
04-20-2004, 01:29 AM
I love Scarface, I like the movie a lot but it is way overrated. People make it to be THE film but it is just a good film. Fight Club was a huge dissapointment to me.

Funky Fly
04-20-2004, 02:19 AM
I dunno, the movie was okay. It's way overhyped by rappers and stupid people, but Pacino was the man from top to bottom.

Tony Montana
04-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Al Pacino is good in it, but as a film it isn't as great as some bastards would have you think it is.

If it wasn't for Al being such a hilarious bastard, it would probably be turd.

I know people who go on about it, and other people who will buy it on DVD never having seen it, when it's available for rent in huge amounts, because they "heard it's great". That is why it kind of annoys me that it gets the "classic" tag, when it isn't, and Big Trouble in Little China is.

Scarface is amazing.

Tony Montana
04-20-2004, 02:29 AM
I thought Dawn of The Dead was a dissapointment.

Kris P Lettus
04-20-2004, 03:01 AM
That is why it kind of annoys me that it gets the "classic" tag, when it isn't, and Big Trouble in Little China is.

:love:

The Mackem
04-20-2004, 03:42 AM
My brother wanted to go into business with him buying Scarface DVD's and selling them on for a profit. I told him he was an idiot.

Boondock Saint
04-20-2004, 03:46 AM
Big Trouble in Little China is amazing.

da_king
04-20-2004, 10:13 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
i had seen scarface for the first time in a long while not too long ago and it struck me as being very "80's" if that makes any sense. liked the movie though.

</font>

Danny Electric
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I love Requiem For A Dream, depressive though.
I thought Scarface was a good film but not amazing, Pacino gives a great performance though.

The Ravishing One
04-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Scarface is amazing.

:y:

jasonvoorhees
04-20-2004, 09:11 PM
I like scarface what I like about the movie was the quotes and the blood, every one in my school likes it every one talks about scarface, the movie was good.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Scarface was okay, nothing special, so you are correct.

loopydate
04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Decent flick. As far as gangster movies go, it's one of the best, but compare it to any other genre, and it doesn't measure up. The acting is too over-the-top, the storyline isn't all that great, and some of the dialogue is...well...SAY HELLO TO MAH LI'L' FRIEN'!

Good if you're in a cathartic blow-shit-up kind of mood, but other than that, watch "Godfather" instead.

Loose Cannon
04-20-2004, 11:30 PM
I saw Scarface for the first time on TV and I thought it was pretty well done. I wont go out like the big rappers on MTV Cribs and buy Scarface fans, window blinds, bed sheets, wall covering and etc.. But I did think it was pretty good for its time and is still good today. And it had an ending which was bad ass.
:rofl: :rofl:

Scarface
04-21-2004, 07:26 AM
It's a cool film, although it's a little slow. Al Pacino is an amazing actor and some of the lines were classic. I made this account after I had just seen it, and the name seemed cool.

The Mackem
04-21-2004, 09:49 AM
LOL

The jokes are endless.

Sephiroth
04-21-2004, 10:53 AM
It's a cool film, although it's a little slow. Al Pacino is an amazing actor and some of the lines were classic. I made this account after I had just seen it, and the name seemed cool.

:y:

Buzzkill
04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
The movie itself isnt that great in my opinion, but Al Pacino is just amazing in it, so it is :y:

John la Rock
04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Scarface really stands out for me because of Pacino. You're right. If Al wasn't in it the movie would probly suck. But there are so many awesome quotes from that movie along with a decent story. :y:

Fox
04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Scarface is one of the best movies of all time. Anyone who says differently is just trying to be an "individual" by going against the tide, so **** you.

I'm joking, obviously. But I still love Scarface, and I actually just watched it last night. Al Pacino is the mang, and the Tony Montana character is probably my favorite movie character of all time. The story is actually very, very good. The psychology is great, with Tony coming up in the business and generating a great deal of success thanks to his big mouth, and yet it's his big mouth that gets him killed in the end. I think I love the movie a little bit more every time I watch it.