PDA

View Full Version : Some new details on that Florida promotion

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
- Here is the latest on the new promotion out of Florida that Milton Wilpon/Peter Karoftis/Sean Davis are working on. The promotion has been named Worldwide Wrestling Promotion, and while it was planed for a fall launch, it has been pushed back to January of 2011. An email was sent out to talent this morning, explaining the delay. Davis wrote to the talent that the financing side of the company had told the wrestling side the following…

"Our original time table is not at all feasible. While we were all committed to launching in October we know now that has become an impossible goal. Our new goal is to start operations in the first part of the new year however we do not as of today have a firm date. That unfortunately means that contracts will have to be changed to a new starting date."

In the email, Davis states that he financial side feels that the delay is needed, and that he "fought this decision KICKING AND SCREAMING (literally)".he also stated that the move had to be made, because if it wasn't, the company would not move forward. Davis goes onto explain that WWP's attorneys will draw up contract addendums, and that if they didn't wish to sign them, he understood.

"You will still be welcome to come back to work for us in the future once we are up and running in the early part of the new year. For those of you that sign the contract addendums you will be receiving extra shares of company stock and the addendums will also spell out our full health and benefits plan that will be made available to you."

Davis also discussed that they have been through a lot already, and that there were forces out there that were trying to stop them…

"[These forces are] doing whatever they can to sabotage everything we are trying to do and doing everything in their power to make sure that this company will never launch. I can promise you though that no matter how many hurdles we have to jump over that there are people here dedicated to doing everything they can to make sure this company WILL launch and we will be a long time player in this industry."

Davis stated that WWP was not simply launching "a new independent promotion or something that is going to be on the long list of fly by night wrestling companies that have come and gone." He then went on to explain that they plan on "becoming over the next decade the premiere wrestling company in the world" but that "obviously does not happen overnight."

Davis promised to share details on several deals that the company had completed over the next few weeks. The promotion has also reached out to Paul Heyman and Jerry Jarrett.

Credit: Pwinsider.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does everybody think about this? I don't want to get my hopes up, in case this fizzles, but I'm certainly intrigued. I'd be even more interested if Heyman did, in fact, work with the promotion (even if just as a consultant or something). Also Heyman as a color commentator = me watching whatever the fuck it is.

Jordan
08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
It sounds exciting as hell. I know they got Booker T locked up, you can tell from the interview he did after the Lashley fight. I just hope they don't rely totally on former TNA and WWE stars. Sure they need a few, but get guys like Phil Shatter and sign some proven foreign stars as well. Who else was rumored to sign? Scorpio, Sean Waltman, Vader, Jessie White? Anyone remember who else?

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Crazy, Paul London and El Hijo del Rey Misterio (the son of Rey Mysterio, Sr. and the cousin of the WWE's Rey Mysterio). There were also rumours of some top ROH talent signing. We can rule out The Briscoe Brothers, as they just signed new ROH contracts. But if Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli skip over, I am there.

Droford
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
WWP sounds a little like WWE

so Vince will sue

Jordan
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
If Claudio and Hero go, then they have a good starting ground...

Booker T
Super Crazy
Paul London
El Hijoe del Rey Mysterio
Vader
Jessie White
Sean Waltman
Scorpio
Scott Steiner
Larry Zybysko
Shane Douglas

Apparently Vader is supposed to run the Japanese relations.

I hope some of the older guys on that list above are going to be commentators (Zybysko and Douglas could be a great team) or stay out of the ring for the most part.

Booker and Steiner are still good and could be of use to any upstart company.

Those names are rumored but they have been reported so take it for what you will.

There are also so many other former WWE/WCW/TNA/ECW guys that are available. Bob Holly, Charlie Haas, Shelton, Big V, Giant Bernard, Tomko, so many others....

Also I am sure that they would be shown on NY1 in New York, since the owner also owns that station, I wonder if they also will have a deal in the south.

I am hyped for this, I love the idea of a new power company.

Jordan
08-25-2010, 12:45 PM
A promotion headed by Milton Wilpon, a senior member of the Wilpon Family (several of whose members are the majority owners of the New York Mets) is said to be opening offices in September, 2010.

Wilpon, the Fort Lee, New Jersey based investor who has bought into many huge businesses through Sterling Equities (which is reportedly not involved in the wrestling project) has made sure most business has been conducted after people are asked to sign Non-Disclosure Agreements.

However, WrestleZone has exclusively learned the following regarding the promotion:

The roster is said to include Sean Waltman, Scott Steiner, Shane Douglas, Larry Zbyszko, and Vader. Yes, Vader.

The reason for Vader is because Jim Ross recently blogged how Vader's son should be considered a major find for the future, so Vader was approached about signing alongside his son. No word on if Vader's son signed yet.

The promotion has intentionally put out false information as to where their first television tapings will take place in order to keep people from knowing their business plans.

The promotion has told several people they would like to launch with a reality show on aging wrestlers, and then morph into a full fledged pro wrestling league.

The promotion is planning on trying to sign Bryan Danielson and several non-contracted Ring of Honor stars. No word on if they have been officially approached yet.

The promotion is thought to have regional television based on Wilpon's connections, but that is unconfirmed.

Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported the promotion is to be headed up by Sean Davis, an independent wrestler based in Florida, who had a connection with the group that approached Wilpon. Meltzer also reported Paul Heyman has been approached, but there is no chance for the group to get him without significant funding or a major television deal, as even TNA has been attempting to land the former ECW owner and Smackdown Head Writer, and Heyman has yet to sign or agree to return to pro wrestling.

While there are several other reports floating around, several of them appear to be intentionally-placed misinformation by people within the promotion. No word on an official launch date. We will continue to monitor this breaking story as it develops.

WrestleZone exclusively confirmed last night that the startup group headed by Milton Wilpon is putting together a wrestlers' Board of Directors, and that Sean "X-Pac" Waltman is one of the wrestlers who has been told he will be on the Board.

The group has been the subject of mass speculation, from the stories of being put together by little-known Florida independent wrestler Sean "Davis" Pascoe to approaching Paul Heyman to run the group (he apparently had no interest), to the latest rumor that ROH and Dragon Gate syndicator Ken Gelman is heading the company or at least on board to distribute their pay per views.

There are several names being floated around by management, which insists everyone sign Non-Disclosure-Forms, and one of the names management keeps telling people is involved is a current featured performer in TNA. Until WrestleZone has absolute confirmation of this person's involvement, we will keep his name private for legal reasons.

Vader has been confirmed as being signed by the group in order to "run Japanese operations" according to someone with knowledge of the deal, although like everyone else Vader (Leon White) is not scheduled to receive any money before October.

The Wilpon Family has a long and storied association with Sterling Equities, which has a sizable ownership of The New York Mets Major League Baseball team, but Milton Wilpon is not listed anywhere on the Sterling Equities website.

Milton Wilpon is the President and CEO of Media Pharmaceuticals, and has a bio listed on their website: http://medixinternational.com/About.html

WrestleZone exclusively confirmed last night that the startup group headed by Milton Wilpon is putting together a wrestlers' Board of Directors, and that Sean "X-Pac" Waltman is one of the wrestlers who has been told he will be on the Board.

The group has been the subject of mass speculation, from the stories of being put together by little-known Florida independent wrestler Sean "Davis" Pascoe to approaching Paul Heyman to run the group (he apparently had no interest), to the latest rumor that ROH and Dragon Gate syndicator Ken Gelman is heading the company or at least on board to distribute their pay per views.

There are several names being floated around by management, which insists everyone sign Non-Disclosure-Forms, and one of the names management keeps telling people is involved is a current featured performer in TNA. Until WrestleZone has absolute confirmation of this person's involvement, we will keep his name private for legal reasons.

Vader has been confirmed as being signed by the group in order to "run Japanese operations" according to someone with knowledge of the deal, although like everyone else Vader (Leon White) is not scheduled to receive any money before October.

The Wilpon Family has a long and storied association with Sterling Equities, which has a sizable ownership of The New York Mets Major League Baseball team, but Milton Wilpon is not listed anywhere on the Sterling Equities website.

Milton Wilpon is the President and CEO of Media Pharmaceuticals, and has a bio listed on their website: http://medixinternational.com/About.html

Jordan
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Why the fuck would you put Sean Waltman on any board other than the board of blunt rollers?

Rammsteinmad
08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
So is this company supposed to be 'big', or is it just another no-name indy company making themselves out to be better than everyone else?

Jordan
08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
They guy in charge says it will be "big" not just another run of the mill hyped indy.

The Pope
08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
but get guys like Phil Shatter?

Isn't that the TNA security guy?

McLegend
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought this was going to be a joke TNA thread.

The Pope
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Phil Shatter in TNA:
http://www.enigma-reborn.com/Galleries/albums/userpics/10001/39698_417369876025_31695961025_4820645_864915_n.jpg

The Pope
08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I hope a ton of wrestling form like the old days. But for them to actually focus on wrestling not some stupid indy high flyers or Hardcore crap (CZW).

Vastardikai
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Shatter is a beast. I'm surprised he wasn't signed to WWE by now. There are quite a few guys they could get, including Kimo, the Korean Assassin. I would check the Indies, Malachai is similarly a good talent, if they want to build up a Junior Division.

Jordan
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Phil Shatter is the man.

XL
08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Sounds awful.

Waltman? Really? Guess they'll give him a place on the board so he feels inclined to turn up.

Next Big Thing
08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
This promotion sounds shady as hell.

The Pope
08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I hope they have wrestlers on open contracts so guys from RoH and NWA can appear.

thecc
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
This is going the way of H2.

thecc
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
or MLW

thecc
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
or FUSION

The Pope
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope not, maybe they could join another promotion like NWA and do like what TNA and RoH once did. (Share talent)

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
The contracts are apparently exclusive. They say it will be big, and there is a lot of focus on the finance side. It's not like they are just scrapping together enough cash to put up a ring and some dodgy lighting. Plus, they've managed to get Booker T under contract. I'm sure that guy doesn't work for chips, and he's probably got a door back to the WWE whenever he wanted.

Not trying to blow smoke up this promotion's ass. I do hope that they work out and for real, though.

The Pope
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the more competition there is the better the business. Like back in the day with AWA, NWA, WWF, UWF etc. A lot of them had very good talent who would not leave. Until the WWF started putting everyone out of business.

thecc
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Offering 75k contracts sounds stupid. this company will fold very quickly.

thecc
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I hope it works out but now is a terrible time to start a wrestling company.

Emperor Smeat
08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Seems like a bad idea to start a new company with the goal of being a future power in Florida since TNA and WWE-owned FCW have been there for years and already have the fanbase set in the area.

The roster does sound intresting but maybe a better chance at having the company in a former hotbed or wrestling base than having to compete with already existing big companies in Florida.

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I hope it works out but now is a terrible time to start a wrestling company.

I dunno. With the change over in TNA, and a lot of people there being pretty unhappy, they could really benefit from jumping in at this point in time. I'm sure that's not part of their business plan, but whatever. I mean, in recent weeks we've seen Samoa Joe get suspended, AJ Styles has spoken out about the direction of TNA on occasion, and Christopher Daniels walked out earlier this year.

I personally hope that we see a lot of TNA talent get fed up and walk to WWP. Right now they can sign Christopher Daniels and Homicide. Tomko is also a free agent, and while he was never a "big name," he is recogniseable, and naturally rose near the top during part of his run with TNA. But imagine if Joe walked and signed with these guys? Or if Kurt Angle's contract came up, he still didn't want anything to do with the WWE (just yet), and he wasn't happy with TNA?

Just wishful thinking, but the talent is sort of out there. Giant Bernard has been tearing it up in Japan, and if he wanted to make a comeback, he could do so and look like a beast. Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas are out there. Carlito is a good talent with some good face value. And then there are guys on the independent scene like Johnny Gargano, who have been turning heads.

The Pope
08-25-2010, 11:07 PM
I mean, in recent weeks we've seen Samoa Joe get suspended, AJ Styles has spoken out about the direction of TNA on occasion. And then there are guys on the independent scene like Johnny Gargano, who have been turning heads.

It's pretty obvious that the AJ comments were keyfabe along with the RVD comments.

And I freakin' love that Johnny Gargano, been following this guy since he was 18 or 19.

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Seems like a bad idea to start a new company with the goal of being a future power in Florida since TNA and WWE-owned FCW have been there for years and already have the fanbase set in the area.

The roster does sound intresting but maybe a better chance at having the company in a former hotbed or wrestling base than having to compete with already existing big companies in Florida.

I think this location would have been chosen on purpose. Not to initially compete, but with TNA running in the area, there are those fans already putting their money into wrestling products. Plus, FIP is starting to really falter. I read the results of their Cage of Pain III show, and it sounded pretty abysmal. There's that market for wrestling in Florida, and they've gone out and said that they don't want to be a "Florida-exclusive promotion."

And while contracts are exclusive, it might benefit them to get a working relationship with ROH or something going. Both sides can help really give the other exposure, share some big talent (ROH/old veteran big, I mean), and get a lot of IWC buzz behind themselves.

With TNA also being in Florida, and a lot of talent probably relocating there, they might be hoping that they manage to provide enough incentives to move a lot of those talent just down the road to their shop.

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:11 PM
It's pretty obvious that the AJ comments were keyfabe along with the RVD comments.

And I freakin' love that Johnny Gargano, been following this guy since he was 18 or 19.

Yeah, I was thinking that in regards to AJ, but still -- he's seen a lot of his buddies get fucked over. And there have been those reports that a lot of TNA talent are unhappy and considering the WWE or WWP. You can't believe everything you read, and I don't think AJ Styles will be one who leaves, but I'm sure there are many who feel that the direction of the company is...questionable. How many years of your prime can you spend spinning your wheels?

The Pope
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that in regards to AJ, but still -- he's seen a lot of his buddies get fucked over. And there have been those reports that a lot of TNA talent are unhappy and considering the WWE or WWP. You can't believe everything you read, and I don't think AJ Styles will be one who leaves, but I'm sure there are many who feel that the direction of the company is...questionable. How many years of your prime can you spend spinning your wheels?

That is true, but TNA has a lot of exposure. And we still have to see what style they will be, whether a RoH or a WWE lite way of booking/storylines. I think a lot of TNA talent is upset at the EV2 storyline more than anything because finally some of the guys have been getting pushed. But back to WWP, they really just need some veterans for attracting a fan base then switch to pushing young talent.

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, Booker T and Vader will be there. They carry some weight. A lot of those guys I mentioned like Shelton Benjamin and Carlito aren't exactly "draws," but they are recogniseable enough that if people see them, they might know them. I'm just trying to think who else is out there. Scott Steiner is free, and while I'd hate to see him in a ring, as a commentator or something he could be pretty fantastic.

parkmania
08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
...Vader will be there. They carry some weight.

Tell me you didn't just say that.

Mr. Nerfect
08-27-2010, 05:41 AM
I like how that ties into Booker T being there.

Tom Guycott
08-27-2010, 07:47 AM
... "You will still be welcome to come back to work for us in the future once we are up and running in the early part of the new year. For those of you that sign the contract addendums you will be receiving extra shares of company stock and the addendums will also spell out our full health and benefits plan that will be made available to you." ...

Credit: Pwinsider.com

This is the part that piques my interest. Are they saying the talent would be getting health and benefits? Are they trying to take a step in the direction of... well... not neccisarily a "union" per se, but a way to better take care of the guys busting their asses in the ring?

That's quite a step for a promotion just starting up. I know they are aiming higher than being an indy fed, but that still seems pretty ambitious. In a good way.

Mr. Nerfect
08-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I think that's the idea. The guys who originally sign with be given shares in the company and such, too.