PDA

View Full Version : WCW question

Destro 2.0
08-28-2010, 03:24 PM
You know how most guys in TNA mostly the young ones and some of the older guys can go and do Indy shows. Was that allowed at all in WCW? Could the go work in Japan or make quick money doing an Indy show or were they strictly WCW only. I also remember hearing Vince would let some of his guys do indy shows back in the early 90's. I know he also lets some the bigger guys come into the developmental territories and do run ins and beat up some heal or whatever.

But did WCW let the less used guys work some indy shows?

Next Big Thing
08-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I think they let the guys go to Japan because Norton worked NWO Japan. I don't know if they were allowed to appear at domestic indie shows though.

Furious Beardsley
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I would doubt it. The way Chris Jericho talked about working in WCW in A Lion's Tale, it seemed that he was exclusive to WCW. So I would say that they were not allowed to work indies. But I believe they did have a working relationship with Japan...not sure though.

Xero
08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, they definitely had a working relationship with New Japan for a long time.

Hanso Amore
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
THey had a talent exchange with NEw Japan and would send guys to the other side of the world, almost like an exchange student. THey still cashed WCW checks, but worked NJPW events.

Tom Guycott
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
And in exchange, we got to see talent like The Great Muta! That, my friends, was no sarcasm. It was one of the things WCW did RIGHT.

Also funny though, some guys that were lower mid-card at best in the States was fucking HUGE in Japan, and some guys that were built to be the be all end all here sucked ass across the pond.

Hanso Amore
08-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I wish Scott Norton was as big here as in Japan.

parkmania
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Still remember The Brain (pretty sure it was Bobby) always calling him Masa "My Hero" Chono. The mafia kick is SICK!

M-A-G
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the Mexican talent continued to do shows across the border while working for WCW as well. I imagine the contracts the wrestlers signed placed them at the mercy of the higher-ups as to where they could work whereas the average indy guy can work all over the place as long as someone wants to book him.