PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking back: Smackdown in 2003 was hott as hell

The Naitch
08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Here was the intro. Best SD! intro imo. I think this was when Heyman had control or something

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zq7au4Wa9oM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zq7au4Wa9oM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VSG
08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
They also had incredible talent on their roster. It was during this period that Smackdown was revealed as the superior wrestling show.

The Naitch
08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Smackdown in 2003
-SD! theme. Sounds cool and fresh, as opposed to today's Nickleback or generic rock
-New talent
-Team Angle vs. Team Lesnar (main evented WrestleMania)
-Rey

RAW in 2003
-The Triple H show

GD
08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Agreed. The diversity and the fresh faces on the roster made it my favorite brand at that time.

Rammsteinmad
08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Coincidently I was watching Vengenace 2003 yesterday and was thinking how amazing Smackdown and it's roster was back then.

I think the reason in 2003 people thought it was crappy was because it was still kind of the 'fall-out' period from the attitude era, and so of course everything WWE did was terrible. I for one enjoyed it then, and I enjoy it now.

tjmidnight420
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
SD! is and always has been my favorite WWE brand, if for nothing else than just the wrestling.

Wolfpack423
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Ruthless Aggression era is the best era in WWE. Great roster and some great matches. Smackdown was great at this time. I personally liked RAW too. I think 2003 was a solid year for both brands. I like when there are long title reigns and HHH is a great wrestler so him as World Champion was a good thing to me. I also am a big Goldberg fan so it was cool to see him on RAW.

Rammsteinmad
08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
SD! is and always has been my favorite WWE brand, if for nothing else than just the wrestling.

MoFo
08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Smackdown was mad overrated in 03.

You had just three people in the main event for the whole yr, Big Show, Angle and Lesnar. Vince was ALL OVER Smackdown as well in shitty feuds with Zach Gowen and Mr America (wtf). Raw was wayyy better IMO.

jskinnyg
08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
That was a great time for SD... I remember going here in Charlotte right before I moved to Cancun and it was one of the best shows I'd seen in awhile...

addy2hotty
08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Los Guerreros :heart:

VSG
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Ruthless Aggression era is the best era in WWE.

What's the "Ruthless Aggression era"? What classifies it as an "era"?

addy2hotty
08-30-2010, 04:12 PM
What's the "Ruthless Aggression era"? What classifies it as an "era"?

It marked the arrival of John Cena? :shifty:

Swiss Ultimate
08-30-2010, 05:03 PM

You had just three people in the main event for the whole yr, Big Show, Angle and Lesnar. Vince was ALL OVER Smackdown as well in shitty feuds with Zach Gowen and Mr America (wtf). Raw was wayyy better IMO.

Party pooper.

St. Jimmy
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Both shows in 2003 were Equally as great.

Rammsteinmad
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Smackdown also had a great undercard, which included Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman, Jamie Knoble, Tajiri, A-Train, Chavo Guerrero, Sean O'Haire and Rhyno.

And not forgetting their tag division, where they had The APA, The WGTT, The Bashams, Los Guerreros, Mysterio/Kidman, The FBI, and Matt Hardy/Shannon Moore.

Plus, you're forgetting The Undertaker as well.

Raw was mostly, as people remember it, 'The Triple H Show'.

And as for Vince being all over Smackdown, Vince/Hogan, Vince/Gowan, Vince/Undertaker were all much better feuds than Scott Steiner/Test on Raw.

Smackdown 2003 > Raw 2003. :yes:

Mr. Nerfect
08-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Both shows in 2003 were Equally as great.

Coming from you, given that RAW was essentially a two-hour blowjob for Triple H, this is probably the best compliment anyone has ever given SmackDown!. Ever.

This was at a weird time in Australia. We actually didn't get SmackDown! for a while over here. I followed it via internet reports, and even without seeing the acts became a fan of Matt Hardy's Mattitude and John Cena's rising bad-ass heel gimmick. Hardy vs. Cena sort of became a dream match in my head at that point in time. Weird.

We eventually got SmackDown! back, and I visited most of this era on DVD. But I cannot argue with the quality of it. Some things faltered. Sean O'Haire is sadly one of the most fucked up ball-drops of all-time. But, especially compared to RAW, this was an amazing time for SmackDown!. Didn't Heyman get fired partially because it was too good?

Favre4Ever
08-31-2010, 02:45 AM
The tag division was never better in 2002-2003. The Benoit/Angle, Los Guerreros, Mysterio and Edge tag title feuds are still some of my favorites to this day.

Mr. Nerfect
08-31-2010, 02:52 AM
The Mysterio/Edge team was random as hell, but for some reason it worked in the context of everything. Heyman rebuilt tag team wrestling with essentially six guys. Why can't someone do the same now?

Rammsteinmad
08-31-2010, 04:50 AM
Because there aren't any teams?

MoFo
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
But Benwah/Angle and Edge/Mysterio were only thrown together, its not as if they couldnt do that again.