PDA

View Full Version : An interesting question to ask

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Dunno if I've done a thread like this before but bare with me

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vwwah7qmNgo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vwwah7qmNgo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is probably one of the best t.v. matches I have ever seen. I mean the workrate is 2nd to none.

But as fans, is it really necesarry for guys to work that ridiculous style? I mean really, it's no surprise what's happened to Angle, Rey and Benoit after just watching that match...but we don't have that anymore and I believe for good reason. Guys need to be able to keep away from pain killers and need to be able to walk upright when they're 55.

Would you rather still see matches with this kind of brutallity? I mean they literally are going 100 miles and hour from the gate, and take no quarter. Or would you rather the workers kept reasonabley safe and figured other ways to give us great matches?

Lock Jaw
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Fantastic match.

Anyways, I think the reason we "don't have that anymore" isn't because of painkillers or whatever, but just for the fact that the WWE just doesn't have wrestlers of that caliber around to put on matches like that anymore.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I dunno, there was a lot of moves in that match that I just don't think are advised to do if you want to have a long healthy career.

Damian Rey
09-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I was there for that match. You think it was good on tape, it was spectacular live.

I voted yes, but it's not a complete 100% yes. I think matches like this should be saved for special events, and guys shouldn't have this kind of output more than a couple times a year.

For example, let's just say Cena and Orton are headlining Mania next year. I would definately say go balls out and give the fans a fast paced, hard hitting match from beginning to end. I mean, it would be the main event and as fans, a great match is what we deserve.

I do not think matches with that type of ridiculous pacing and supreme workrate should be booked on tv, and be booked often. It's okay to push the limits occassionally, but it's got to be in moderation. Not to mention matches would have a better chance of standing out if they occassionally let the workers go all out a couple times a year.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
And also, matches don't have to be that ridiculous to be good. If you work a bit slower and focus a lot on the story the fans can still get a good show.

I hear what you're saying though Mr. Ray.

Damian Rey
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
And also, matches don't have to be that ridiculous to be good. If you work a bit slower and focus a lot on the story the fans can still get a good show.

I hear what you're saying though Mr. Ray.

It's spelled Rey :p

And I agree. Look at the last two Taker/HBK Mania matches. These were not fast paced matches by any means. Not to say they were plodding, but the pace of the match was decent and it was more about story telling than anything.

But on the other side of the spectrum, you have HHH/Orton from Mania 25. That's the type of match, considering the build it got, and just the overall history and intensity the feud had, that needed to be a balls out slobber knocker. That match should've been ridiculously paced to the point where both guys are absolutely taxed by match end. Instead it was worked slow, and turned out being a very dull main event.

Rammsteinmad
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Maybe one per show, but by different people. This week on Raw for example, it could have been Jericho and Morrison. Then the next week maybe Cena against Orton... giving Jericho and Morrison a chance to calm down.

Of course everyone should up their games for PPV's, and especially Wrestlemania.

But as someone said above somewhere, I don't think it's so much a case of wrestlers truly unleashing themselves, but it's the caliber of the wrestlers themselves, and the WWE's style today. Much matches these days follow a formula, where wrestlers don't really hit more than a certain amount of moves.

Damian Rey
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Maybe one per show, but by different people. This week on Raw for example, it could have been Jericho and Morrison. Then the next week maybe Cena against Orton... giving Jericho and Morrison a chance to calm down.

Of course everyone should up their games for PPV's, and especially Wrestlemania.

But as someone said above somewhere, I don't think it's so much a case of wrestlers truly unleashing themselves, but it's the caliber of the wrestlers themselves, and the WWE's style today. Much matches these days follow a formula, where wrestlers don't really hit more than a certain amount of moves.

I think even one per show may get a little excessive. The core group of wrestlers who get consistent in ring time is not a long list. If they did do one per show, guys would be on some sort of rotation or cycle, and that's going to lead to guys letting lose on a somewhat consistent basis. That wouldn't be the ideal situation if WWE's main goal is provide a safer environment for their workers.

DrCrawford
09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
i would want it back sometimes, but its clear that they only save these matches for PPV's now, which is pretty lame for fans

parkmania
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Also realize that since it's a triple threat, the guys were able to take their breathers without resorting to restholds like they would have in a 1 on 1 match.

But yeah, this level of action we don't get to see any more.

Jeritron
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Fantastic match.

Anyways, I think the reason we "don't have that anymore" isn't because of painkillers or whatever, but just for the fact that the WWE just doesn't have wrestlers of that caliber around to put on matches like that anymore.

I don't know about that. I'm fairly sure they could do stuff at that pace. Maybe not of that quality, but the roster is pretty good.
How about Danielson and Kaval, vs Hart Dynasty, vs Jericho and Bourne. Or some combination like that.

Stickman
09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Fantastic match.

whiteyford
09-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Definately as a show stealing main event type deal, it would set it apart from the rest of the show without resorting to gimmick matches.

Mooияakeя™
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Fantastic match.

Exactly. Either that, or they're "not allowed" to go all out to do that, bar Mania (at times).