PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man Universe (XBLA/PSN)

Kalyx triaD
09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/183184-MMUDeetsHeader.jpg

Trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSPoPRcuCPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSPoPRcuCPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Stage Creation:

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/183535-mm.jpg

Confirmed Mega Men:

Classic
Ugly Box Art
New Masafumi Kimoto (MM Legends) 'Skinny' Design
Ryu

Fignuts
09-10-2010, 02:09 AM
If smileys weren't really gay, I'd adorn this post with a thousand hearts.

Ultra Mantis
09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
From IGN (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1119585p1.html)

There's going to be a whole lot more to Mega Man Universe than just tough-as-nails side scrolling action. Capcom revealed today that it is giving the game a huge customization component.

You'll be able to create custom Mega Man characters, combining parts as you like. In addition to changing the look of your Mega Man, the parts will affect how the character plays.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/111/1119585/mega-man-universe-has-customizable-mega-men-20100910023804356-000.jpg

The game also has a stage creation tool. This lets you position enemies, items and more. As you might expect, you'll be able to share your creations with other players.

It looks like Universe really will be a new type of Mega Man experience. We'll be getting our first hands-on time with the game at the Tokyo Game Show next week, so expect impressions then.

Awesome.

Savio
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
lol bad box art megaman. What system is this for?

Xero
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
lol bad box art megaman. What system is this for?

Just looked it up, it's going to be on XBLA and the PS3 equivalent.

Fucking stoked for this more than any other game in a long time.

Drakul
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
XBLA & PSN. They can't put it on WiiWare because the game is too big in size.

Glad to hear I can create custom characters.
Wouldn't it be cool if you could create the character, levels and link them all togethor by your own story?
Just let us put a few text boxes in places and create bosses and we're all set.

Savio
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I think I have 5 dollars on my PSN account....hope this thing is cheap.

Xero
09-10-2010, 11:22 AM
A boss creator and custom weapon creator would be amazing, but I won't hold my breath for those for the first one. Could see them in a second one if they make it (which they probably will).

Agree on the story, though. Would be awesome if you could have a custom select screen and start screen, essentially creating a whole game.

Savio
09-10-2010, 11:47 AM
they should just release it on disc for Wii.

Ultra Mantis
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
A boss creator and custom weapon creator would be amazing, but I won't hold my breath for those for the first one. Could see them in a second one if they make it (which they probably will).

Agree on the story, though. Would be awesome if you could have a custom select screen and start screen, essentially creating a whole game.

Story creator would be incredible. Plus this would become reality:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bii1BZ-g0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bii1BZ-g0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Ravishing One
09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
This looks amazing!

Ultra Mantis
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Three new videos have been released at the Tokyo Game Show.

Gameplay video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni2fu3d8pAU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni2fu3d8pAU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Character creator:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROfpXVKsuQA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROfpXVKsuQA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Stage creator:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GzQCl5iYww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GzQCl5iYww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The most revealing thing is that it's based on Mega Man 2 so all the stage types, enemies and special weapons from that game should feature in this. Pretty cool.

Xero
09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
:drool:

Drakul
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Notice in the stage creator it said Tokyo Game Show 2010 in the background scenery. I'm guessing we can at least add our own text to billboards in the background.

Game looks good. I'll be DLing it as soon as it's out.

Ultra Mantis
09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
From IGN (http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1121229p1.html)

The latest entry in the long-running platforming series, Mega Man Universe, was only just revealed before this year's Tokyo Game Show. Here in Japan, Capcom is already showing off the game to the press and I had a few minutes with Mega Man to tackle his latest challenge: user-created content. Mega Man Universe will not only feature a customizable Mega Man that can come equipped with different special weapons, but the game will also include a full level editor where gamers can create their own stages and share them with the world. Although Capcom is currently unwilling to spill the beans on all the shiny details, I can share a few details that will surely cause the Mega Man fans of the world to stroke their collective chins with immense intrigue.

The biggest feature in Mega Man Universe is sadly the one thing Capcom isn't showing right now: level creation. But considering how so much of Mega Man's gameplay comes from its challenging level design, I can only think that the community will come up with some amazing stuff that makes even the most hardened Mega Man enthusiast throw his controller in anger (I'm looking specifically at IGN's own Colin Moriarty).

But when it comes to the game's basics, it's classic Mega Man with a slight twist. Although you still have the same 2D platforming and multi-weapon shooting that was present in retro-themed Mega Man 9 and 10, Mega Man Universe mixes 3D character models with 2D backgrounds. The result is interesting, though I will admit that I'm not entirely sold on how it looks. To me, the game sits in an uncomfortable space between the 2D and 3D designs, but perhaps I just need more time to warm up to it.

As for the multiple Mega Mans, that's still a mystery. When booting up the demo, I could choose between a variety of different Mega Man models, including an interpretation of the original Mega Man sprite and a hilarious model based on the classic retro cover art some of you may remember. There were also some unholy fusions between Mega Man and Gust Man, but I didn't dare select them.

I was told that the boss battles that have been a Mega Man staple for years will indeed return, though the Capcom representative I spoke with was hesitant to explain how it will work. From what I can gather, the robot masters will come around for the ride but there will be some surprises along the way.

Don't worry, though: many elements of the traditional Mega Man formula remain. The level featured in my demo of Mega Man Universe showcased the classic moving platforms, disappearing blocks and deadly spikes that we've come to expect from the series, and it wasn't a walk in the park to play. This challenge is generally welcome, though my concerns with Mega Man Universe at this point in time are the game's controls. If you remember the old days with Mega Man, you'll know that tapping the d-pad will make the Blue Bomber perform his epic shuffle to the side, which is great for sticky situations and tough jumps. But in Mega Man Universe, tapping the d-pad does nothing. It seems like Mega Man's movements are stiffer than they should be, but considering how early the game is right now, I'd say this issue is going to be addressed.

There's little else to say about Mega Man Universe, except for noting that the level I played also contained robo-kangaroos that shot bullets at me. I'm really interested to see the level editor in action, so I can only hope that Capcom pulls back the curtain on it soon.

If there's actually a boss creator this is going to be beyond epic.

Khuntry
09-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Im so hard for this game.

Fignuts
09-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Kinda let down that it only has stuff from megaman 2. Still awesome.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-18-2010, 02:28 AM
As I mentioned before, Capcom has a penchant for taking their classic games and attempting to reinvent them with varying degrees of success. With Mega Man Universe, they've rebuilt their classic platformer from the ground up -- and that means having to recreate the original gameplay with a new and "improved" engine.

Upon sitting down to play the demo, I immedaitely noticed that the jump response seemed a bit lagged -- which any Mega Man fan could tell you is integral and can lead to any number of untimely deaths. I originally chalked this up to the controller, but later found that others had experienced the issue on other set ups through out the show.

In addition to being unresponsive, the jump itself lacked the precision control that the original games were known for. Instead of having the ability to modify the height of your jumps through the length of a button press, you're relegated to either a full jump or a very short hop. This made judging the distance which one would need to jump a bit more annoying. Adding to the annoyance would be the fact that the platforms would have undefined edges -- what would have allowed you to land on the edge of the platform in the original 8-bit games would instead cause you to slide off the edge and fall to your doom.

The gameplay issues are one thing,* but I also found the visuals a bit offensive. I know it might seem a bit silly to some of you, but I honestly feel that Capcom didn't show enough care when designing them -- which honestly blows my mind. Keiji Inafune even spent an hour the other evening telling a crowd that he wants every game to have that classic Capom feel, like it came out of Japan.* They often gets on Capcom USA's case for not living up to their expectations, but this title is being developed in Japan.

Frankly, their previous remakes for the PSP looked a million times better. Why they couldn't just use the same engine or build upon it is beyond me, but again, it's like they're reinventing that wheel in some kind of lame attempt to pull on our nostalgic heartstrings. And, if my previous experience with their classic remakes holds true, what they've shown us in development will likely remain largely unchanged in terms of gameplay. In short, I'm not expecting any changes for the better. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Ouch :'(

The jump lag can be fixed, but the jump height sounds like it's more by design than a flaw.

Ultra Mantis
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-18-mega-man-universe-based-on-mega-man-2)

The core campaign in Capcom's upcoming Mega Man Universe will be a remake of Mega Man 2, the game's producer has revealed.

Speaking in an interview with Joystiq, Capcom's Akiko Ito said, "The base story and the base game is taken from Mega Man 2.

"Basically, we're going to create the stages from Mega Man 2 faithfully in this new style, and you can play them as is, or you can customise different sections of them; or you can customise all of it if you want to. So pretty much you can do whatever you'd like with the stages. Or you can start from scratch and build your own."

Unveiled in July, Mega Man Universe will also allow you to play as other Capcom heroes such as Arthur from Ghost 'N' Goblins and Ryu from Street Fighter. Ito wouldn't confirm if whether any other familiar faces will appear.

"We're still in the middle of thinking about all that. We're still planning it out. Actually, one of the things we want to ask... what kind of stages would you like to see? What kind of characters would you like to see in our game?"

Mega Man Universe will hit PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade on an as yet unannounced date

No new Robot Masters :( Mega Man 2 was one of the better and most popular NES games though so I can see why they chose it. New characters and stage types sounds interesting.

Xero
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I could see DLC for other games. They could easily get three or four times more money out of just DLCing the other games instead of making a sequel to MMU.

Fignuts
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
What really makes the megaman games great, isn't the robot masters, or all the cool weapons, but the incredibly tight controls. If it doesn't have that, then it doesn't matter how many great features it has. It will be vastly inferior to the games of the past.

Kalyx triaD
09-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Dante (classic), Strider, and Mario please.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
What really makes the megaman games great, isn't the robot masters, or all the cool weapons, but the incredibly tight controls. If it doesn't have that, then it doesn't matter how many great features it has. It will be vastly inferior to the games of the past.

The only person who seems to get it.

Problem is, they probably won't fix the shitty controls because you'll all buy it, shot or not, just because of the premise. Ridiculous.

Funky Fly
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
No I won't. Tight controls or bust.

Kane Knight
09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
LOL. You two will be among the first people playing it regardless.

Fignuts
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I'll get the trial and see how the controls are, but if they are no good, then I won't be getting it.

Plenty of existing megaman games, as well as rom hacks, to keep me satisfied.

dronepool
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I bought Mega Man 9 and I still haven't beat it- I haven't really tried recently though. I suck at Mega Man games. I'm hoping they make a new Mega Man X though, I always preferred X over the classic.

Fignuts
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I am at one of the last dr. wily stages in 9. Then 10 came out and I beat that, but never went back to 9 because I got Megaman Paradise.

Ultra Mantis
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/22/mega-man-universe-preview/)

There's one thing I'm sure of about Mega Man Universe: I want to like it. For one thing, it's a Mega Man game! I like it when those are good. For another, the concept of making your own Mega Man stages and playing them with cobbled-together heroes or other Capcom characters is a total slam dunk. I'm just ... not really sure about anything else.

The major hook for Universe is that you can build your own avatar out of parts from various Mega Mans, the series' bosses and other Capcom characters (Capcom won't say yet exactly how you obtain these parts in the game). The TGS demo build included multiple premade Mega Mans, including one in the style of Keiji Inafune's drawings and one resembling the style of the dopey space ranger from the Mega Man box art. Each one has different attributes in terms of health, speed, jumping ability and so on. You can further augment these abilities by changing parts.
Mega Man Universe (TGS 2010)

I chose "Metto Man," a weird Metool-headed guy with extreme jumping ability. I'm sure, over time, I'd appreciate having greater-than-Mega jumps, but in practice it was utterly disorienting. After 25 years of learning the Mega Man mechanics, having a jump even one pixel higher than normal was like picking up a cardboard box that you think is going to be full, but isn't. I won't say this is a problem for the game, because it was only a problem for me. It actually adds welcome variety to the formula .. if you can handle it -- which I couldn't.

I have some concerns about the general movement, as well, which don't pertain to the specialized attributes. When other Joystiq team members played the Universe demo, they pointed out to me that Mega Man can't really take just one step anymore. You can hold a direction to run, but tapping just a bit to precisely position yourself results in ... nothing. It's a minor gripe, especially considering how spot-on most of the motion feels, but this one aspect of not-quite-rightness might suggest there are other issues that could come up when playing the game for longer than a few minutes. Universe needs to feel like a Mega Man game -- otherwise it's just a run-and-gun toolkit.

It's much easier to evaluate the visuals, and they're mostly not great. Universe features a mishmash of 8-bit-style elements in its environments, along with unattractive 3D models of enemies and characters. Some of the updated enemies are kind of cute, but not enough to save the whole presentation. It's especially baffling that Capcom went this (more difficult) route when the NES aesthetic used in the last two games -- Mega Man 9 and 10 -- would have made it easier to keep all the user-placed elements consistent.

But again, the Universe concept calls out to me. With movement seemingly almost perfect, the level creation and sharing might be sufficient to overlook the superficial problems. In one of the TGS demo stages, what looked like an instant-death chasm actually turned out to be a shortcut to a different part of the stage; one that I wouldn't have discovered without "dying." That's an interesting "innovation" in terms of Mega Man level design, and it makes me excited for what I'll be able to play.

If Capcom and users continue to come up with neat level ideas, Mega Man Universe could be a very enjoyable game. As a Mega Man fan, though, it's sad to think that it would have to succeed despite anything.

Hope they put the nudge back in, otherwise precise jumping is going to be difficult. The jump height issue seems to be related to the character you're playing as.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Slightly overshadowed now by Mega Man Legend 3 for 3DS :heart:

Drakul
03-31-2011, 05:35 AM
And the game is officially cancelled:

Mega Man Universe was supposed to be out this year on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. It won't be. Capcom, the game's developer, is shutting the title down and ceasing development. Mega Man Universe has been canned.

In an official release, Capcom says the game is being canned for "various circumstances". It is unclear if those circumstances are related to the Tohoku Earthquake or, rather, to the fact that the designer of Mega Man Universe, Keiji Inafune, left Capcom. Or even to the fact that the game had spaghetti-like controls.

Capcom apologies in the release to those who were anticipating the title, as well as to those connected to the game.

Inspired by Mega Man 2, Mega Man Universe was a 2.5D platformer and was first revealed last fall in a clever launch trailer created by I Am 8-Bit. The game featured various incarnations of Mega Man. In Japan, Mega Man is known as "Rockman", and this was to be the first Mega Man to use the character's Western moniker in its native Japan.

Besides classic Mega Man play, the game also had a level editor in which players supposedly could create their own Mega Man stages.

Source (http://uk.kotaku.com/5787516/mega-man-universe-is-totally-canceled).

I'm half expecting MML3 to be cancelled. MMU is cancelled, Megaman is left out of MvC for the first time. It seems like they're trying to use him less.

Kalyx triaD
03-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Damn.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-31-2011, 05:47 AM
Well most reports did say it was shit.

I don't think they'll can MML3, there would be a lot of pissed off fans after all the polls and things. They best do more than 3 RE games within 12 months and a shitty looking DmC reboot.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Huh, MML3 was never greenlit...

A few weeks ago, Mega Man Legends 3 (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-legends-3-dev-update-is-looking-mighty-fine-191776.phtml&sa=U&ei=EdB5TfZnhPqzA6fdgI0D&ved=0CBIQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNEb8fKj3ubDm-WswwZi2iQ94Kig2w) Director Masakazu Eguchi revealed that Capcom (http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/#) has not yet fully committed (http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/02/15/a_declaration_of_resolve) to production of the game. On February 22nd, the team was scheduled for a meeting to determine the fate of this project. In a conversation with Siliconera, Community Manager Seth Killian has offered some updated information: They were saying like ‘well, we got an extension, so we’re going to keep working on the game.’ Does this mean it’s actually going to be made? Not 100% and that’s true.
Crazy to think that something which received such a massive response upon its announcement is still in doubt, but games disappear into development hell all the time. I can't remember an announced Mega Man game that didn't come to market, despite some fervent wishes to the contrary. I actually want this game, which is more than I can say for the majority of titles brought to the franchise in the last ten years. Commit, Capcom!http://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-legends-3-still-in-development-not-greenlit-yet-196177.phtml

Kalyx triaD
03-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Capcom is not winning.

Their fighting games are trucking along nicely, thank god.

Drakul
03-31-2011, 07:30 AM
I bet they don't green light MML3 in the end.

Ultra Mantis
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Probaby would have been disappointed with this game anyway, but it's looking pretty grim for Megaman now. With Inafune gone it's likely that Megaman 10 will end up being the last game in the franchise.