PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

RP
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
AMC knows how to make a tv show. So when i heard about a Zombie show AMC is making, i creamed my pants and ate it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg46DWI_fCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg46DWI_fCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Destro 2.0
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Dude read the book before you watch it. It is so badass ......

RoXer
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97247

Schlomey
09-21-2010, 05:36 PM
i can't wait...premiers halloween night at 10pm

Buzzkill
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Directed by Frank Darabount too <3

Joe Kerr
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Hopefully I dont forget about it and remember to record it.

Buzzkill
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Pilot just got leaked...and it is awesome. Great stuff.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2425303/18726243/

Rammsteinmad
10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow, looks really good. Gonna have to download this at some point or something.

Also, at the end of that trailer when they're crawling over the tank, I can hear the sound the Dragonzord used to make in Power Rangers. :lol:

Requiem
10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Just watched it. Loved it. Has the potential to be one of my favorite shows. The premiere was awesome. Everything I expected, but that's a good thing.

Nowhere Man
10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
The Walking Dead is one of my favorite comic books ever, so I am seriously psyched about this.

Innovator
10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
This show made me excited during the Mad Men finale, gave me hope for post Mad Men.

Jon Kano
10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Good song for the trailer

RP
10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
fantastic. So much better then i thought it would be. And i thought it would be really good.

Downunder
10-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Agreed - just saw the first episode. I honestly thought it was going to be a bit shit - it bloody wasn't.

IMDB only has 6 episodes listed, is that all there is?

PapaGeorgio
10-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Just watched this tonight with some friends. They all seemed to enjoy it; plus I did as well. I would consider the 3 of them more average viewers of TV; me a little higher up and snobby. But was fun, suspenseful. Def interested in more to see where things go.

mitchables
10-23-2010, 05:43 AM
The Walking Dead is one of my favorite comic books ever, so I am seriously psyched about this.

Swiss Ultimate
10-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Almost here. Sunday Night!!!!

Joey Slugs
10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
damn. hell of a start. can't wait to see where they go with it

LuigiD
11-01-2010, 12:52 AM
It was awesome. I loved it. I am liking the pacing as well.

dronepool
11-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Good show.

Jon Kano
11-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Only seen episode 1, when my mate apparently got 2 episodes in the torrent he used, which has pissed me off that I didn't get it, but oh well.

Loved it. Big factor is that I'm a longtime fan of Andrew Lincoln, he's come a long way! and he's a good, potentially great actor.

Hanso Amore
11-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I would have liked a bit more mystery on the wife and kid and the friend...like maybe wait until episode 2 or 3 to reveal them.

Jeritron
11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
It sort of felt like that was the start of the second episode though, but they extended it. I definitely got the sense it was extended a half hour

Innovator
11-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I recorded it last night, can't wait to watch it. How good is it on a scale of 1 to Christina Hendrick's boobs?

Loose Cannon
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
crap, I forgot to watch this. was watching AMC all day and was excited for this, but got caught up in the world series game last night. I'll have to check to see when they air it again

mitchables
11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
i enjoyed it. understand what liberties they've taken from the source material for the purposes of tv, so i'm pretty happy with how faithful they've been so far all things considered.

YOUR Hero
11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah it was alright. Looks like it won't just be a mindless scream fest. I'll try to keep watching it for now.

Hanso Amore
11-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Pretty good emotion. It is AMC so this will be a Character driven show.

That black dude trying to kill his wife, while staying strong for his kid was a good scene.

Joey Slugs
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I recorded it last night, can't wait to watch it. How good is it on a scale of 1 to Christina Hendrick's boobs?

Christina Hendrick's boobs

The Destroyer
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I quite enjoyed it. Definitely could have waited longer with the wife and kid thing though, wasn't really any need to tip the hand so early with that.

Jon Kano
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I quite enjoyed it. Definitely could have waited longer with the wife and kid thing though, wasn't really any need to tip the hand so early with that.

Nothing wrong with doing that. There are only 6 episodes I think, in this season, so I'm not surprised. Its not like we didn't know or think it wasn't going to happen.

Requiem
11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Hope this show takes off and that next season is much longer. Would love to see it do well, as it is the first good horror show I think I've ever seen. And it's not even scary.. it's just the suspense of it, and thinking of a zombie outbreak in real life terms.. like, 'what would actually happen?' sort of shit.

Jeritron
11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I hope it can be my new Lost. I never really get into TV shows anymore, but I love this

Loose Cannon
11-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Friday @ 10pm est is the replay is anyone like myself missed it

Jon Kano
11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
There will never be a new LOST or anything like it again. Pretty sure of that. Maybe when I'm like 60?

Jeritron
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying it will be Lost. I'm just saying I don't watch many tv shows and I'm looking for something to fill that void.
It's got the elements of something I could really get into. It's not like Lost was the new X-Files, but in many ways it filled that void for a lot of people.

Jon Kano
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I guess, at the mo these are the shows I'm into and fill the LOST void with:

Walking Dead
Modern Family
South Park
Family Guy
Bored To Death
Cheers - love the show, never seen all of them all the way through, I'm on season 5 of 11 now. It's awesome.

Jeritron
11-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Yea. I like other comedy shows, but I was mainly getting at it being a character driven drama with a sci-fi/horror touch.

RoXer
11-01-2010, 08:20 PM
i enjoyed it. understand what liberties they've taken from the source material for the purposes of tv, so i'm pretty happy with how faithful they've been so far all things considered.

What did they deviate from? I don't read comic books so I'm curious.

RoXer
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Am I using deviate right? I don't think I am.

Nowhere Man
11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I watched it earlier today, and was quite impressed.

The pacing was great, the acting was pretty solid all around, and I was honestly surprised by how good the zombies looked too. The "bike girl" zombie in particular was fantastic: the way they were able to do it without making her look like a puppet or done with CGI, but actually look like someone who's been torn in half and is still moving around. Very impressive effects work.

Swiss Ultimate
11-02-2010, 04:13 PM
loved it so much I played l4d2 for an hour after.

Lock Jaw
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Just watched it. I'm not big into "zombie" stuff, but this was pretty good.

Was totally drawn in by everything.

Schlomey
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Pretty good emotion. It is AMC so this will be a Character driven show.

That black dude trying to kill his wife, while staying strong for his kid was a good scene.

This.

Lock Jaw
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I have decided to read the comic book concurrently with the TV show.

So I'm gonna read up until it gets to the point where it leaves off in the latest episode.

Lock Jaw
11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, that was fast. First ep = roughly one and half issues.

Ermaximus
11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I watched this on demand last night and was blown away by the character development. This show is going places. Still can't believe his wife and kid are with his old partner from the force. I'd also like to know how long the main character was in a coma/the hospital.

Londoner
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
What a bloody great first episode. Haven't been this excited about a tv show in a long time.

mitchables
11-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, that was fast. First ep = roughly one and half issues.

right? he wakes up in the hospital on the second page ffs :'(

Lock Jaw
11-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah... I thought I was gonna be reading like... the first TPB or something, but no... not even two issues.

Jeritron
11-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I've read the first few issues as well, and I'm really happy with how much the series is getting out of it.
There's really a lot of potential there in a television series to delve much deeper.

Eklipse
11-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I kinda feel as though his wife was cheating on him with his partner before the coma, but I dunno...havent seen the books.

Downloaded in HD because I missed the premier and loved it.

Hour long episode was better than Romero's last 3 films.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Still can't believe his wife and kid are with his old partner from the force.

wow, didn't even catch this. just watched it. what was said to clue us in that it was them? probably said thier names and it went right over my head.

really good show. I'm glad they are pacing everything to build the characters

the horse getting nabbed sucked though. hate watching animlas die. I really believed the Sheriff was a goner for a second. love the forshadowing when Morgan says to the sheriff watch you ass when you see a group of the dead.

glad I found another show to watch as they are pretty thin right now

The Destroyer
11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Well you saw the partner leading up to where Rick gets shot. You later see the same guy kissing some woman. You then see a picture of this same woman and the kid in Rick's car.

Loose Cannon
11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Michael Rooker is on the show :love: one of my fav actors. he always plays the bad ass guy

Loose Cannon
11-07-2010, 10:58 PM
they left him on the roof :mad:

Jeritron
11-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Don't worry. The guy dropped his bag of tools including the hacksaw (Jim Duggan). Plus they'll go back for him.
Little will they know he's going to be free already. And very angry. DA DA DAAAAAAAA

P.S. I haven't read the next issues. I'm just talking out my ass. But probably.

Hanso Amore
11-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Wife is mad slutty.

Like your husband hasnt been dead for more than a few months and you are getting hit from behind in a field while some strangers watch your kid?

Dunno.

Loose Cannon
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
yea, that was pretty hot.

The Destroyer
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
At least she had the decency to take her ring off. The slag.

Good second episode. Maybe I just watch too much TV, but the instant I heard the first bit of thunder I thought "yeah, it's going to start raining and wash the zombie guts off them".

CSL
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't read/don't care about/know little about comics so I have no previous 'affiliation' to The Walking Dead but this is fast becoming one of my favourite shows.

CSL
11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Don't worry. The guy dropped his bag of tools including the hacksaw (Jim Duggan). Plus they'll go back for him.
Little will they know he's going to be free already. And very angry. DA DA DAAAAAAAA

And this. But I don't think they'll go back for him.

Ermaximus
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Michael Rooker is on the show :love: one of my fav actors. he always plays the bad ass guy

http://www.happyhorror.com/pix/Mr_Svenning_Mallrats_Michael_Rooker.jpg

Wife is mad slutty.

Like your husband hasnt been dead for more than a few months and you are getting hit from behind in a field while some strangers watch your kid?

Dunno.
My thoughts exactly. Wonder if she'll go for the dp when her husband magically shows back up next episode.

And this. But I don't think they'll go back for him.

I think they will because the sheriff wants his guns back and he'll already be there so I don't see him leaving the guy on the roof to die. Plus the blokes brother will surely make him go back.

RP
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Sarah Wayne Callies has an amazing ass

RP
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5vlco4yvSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5vlco4yvSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ron the dial
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
love this show so much. love it even more because sarah wayne callies is the woman i want to marry, and i had no idea she was going to be on it.

wwe2222
11-08-2010, 05:54 PM
AMC orders 13 more episodes for next season

Swiss Ultimate
11-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm stoked about the grenade.

Jeritron
11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Covering themselves in Zombie guts to blend in was pretty clever. I've never seen a zombie story actually explore how zombies are able to detect humans, let alone see the humans pull something like that to try to blend in. In Shaun of the Dead they acted like zombies to get through a crowd, but that was more of a joke.
This presented an actual explanation.

Hopefully they keep doing new things like that.

mitchables
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
What did they deviate from? I don't read comic books so I'm curious.

sorry dude missed this for whatever reason before. and yes you are using deviate correctly.

well, largely, they're deviations of expansion rather than leaving anything out. in kirkman's comics, he doesn't really spend a lot of time on building the characters before getting to the zombies. rick gets shot on page one, wakes up in the hospital on page two, and spends a few pages at morgan's house (who does not have any kind of backstory involving his wife and being unable to put her down). morgan does not tie rick up in the book or get all 'i will kill you if you try anything' on him; in fact he seems quite trusting, mostly because rick is not in a hospital gown and thus not visibly injured when duane hits him with a shovel. dude just lets him recover on the couch til he wakes up.

riding a horse into the city is essentially the same, but the intermission in the tank doesn't happen - rick manages to flee the zombies without taking refuge in a tank and gets pulled down an alley by glenn who then takes him up onto the rooftops and helps him get out of the city.

the second episode shuffled stuff around considerably - firstly, when glenn rescues rick there is no-one else with him in the city - it's just glenn. he takes him straight back to camp, which is the first you actually see of it in the book. in fact, none of the characters in that group in the city exist in the book except for glenn and andrea, but she was not in the city at any point early on. they figure out the guts strategy because they need to go back for supplies. but again, just rick and glenn. they take, like, a shopping trolley and some weapons, the rain happens, and again, they simply outrun the zombies. no elaborate plans with street race cars and delivery trucks.

that seems to be the biggest thing, the show has definitely 'amped up' the book, not that it really needs it once it gets into later chapters. but the start of the novel really wasn't this action-packed.

also the emphasis on the lori/shane relationship - in the book lori is not really painted as all that willing a partner in the whole deal; i agree the show is kind of portraying her as a bit of a skank.

mitchables
11-08-2010, 09:55 PM

wouldn't matter if you had, that character (and everyone else on the roof bar andrea, rick and glenn) was not in the book.

Covering themselves in Zombie guts to blend in was pretty clever. I've never seen a zombie story actually explore how zombies are able to detect humans, let alone see the humans pull something like that to try to blend in. In Shaun of the Dead they acted like zombies to get through a crowd, but that was more of a joke.
This presented an actual explanation.

Hopefully they keep doing new things like that.

kirkman has used the near 80 issues of the book to really explore heaps of facets of the zombie apocalypse that haven't or couldn't be explored in standalone films or books or whatever; especially the nature of how zombies, their bites, etc work. there's some interesting new takes on long-thought 'traditional' ideas about zombies throughout, so hopefully they keep them in.

RP
11-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I love the chick taking it in the ass right off the top of the show. It's like Brady Anderson hitting lead off HR's for the Orioles in the 90's

The Destroyer
11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Probably the only form of effective post-apocalyptic contraception. Would you want to bring a child into a zombie infested world?

RP
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
No i agree. I wouldnt risk it at all. She's swallowing it for sure.

thedamndest
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
According to the Dawn of the Dead remake, if you are pregnant and you get bitten you will bear a zombie baby. If you are infected but have not yet become a zombie and you get a chick pregnant will she become a zombie or have a zombie baby? Is this covered in the books?

Hanso Amore
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
HEre is why I hate internet people. On another forum, a guy claimed he was never watching this show again, because the red card Glenn stole cant be hotwired in real life because it has a transponder key, and mistakes like that ruin shows.

For real. Who cares?

thedamndest
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
But he is okay with the living dead.

Hanso Amore
11-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Right. Same guy also complains that There is no bottom hatch on that model of tank.

Loose Cannon
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
that guy's definately not nailing any chicks from behind

CSL
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
http://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/jon-bernthal.jpg > http://prisonbreak.download-tvshows.com/sites/default/files/wentworth_miller1_0.jpg

Took that bender like 4 seasons.

ron the dial
11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
yes but he also got the sexier redhead version so kudos to him.

CSL
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I have faith that cop guy is resourceful enough to find some hair dye before the end of a potential 3rd season

Jeritron
11-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Right. Same guy also complains that There is no bottom hatch on that model of tank.

It's hilarious that he's bitching about that stuff, but still has an interest in stories about zombies.
I'd love to hear what that guy has to say about Lost. It would hilarious.

Despite feeling that way, he's the type of guy who wouldn't be able to help feeling like the show owes him something.
I can never understand why people who feel that way about fiction keep watching it.

It's like people who give me shit about thinking Indiana Jones surviving a bomb test in a fridge is awesome, because I'm watching an Indiana Jones movie and not a Woody Allen movie.

Hanso Amore
11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Like they are all "OK, ARC KILLS NAZIS"

WTF BOMB FRIDGE!

Jeritron
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
There's also:

"How can an Indiana Jones movie be able ancients who worship aliens? Aliens?! That's not Indy. Aliens aren't real.
Chasing artifacts pertaining to Christian, Judaism and Voodoo fairy tales is okay, but for the love of god not Mayans/Aliens!"

Lock Jaw
11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Just watched the second episode. Great stuff.

Then went to go read the comic... and... we are ALMOST to the end of the second issue. Think I might stop trying to read the comics concurrently with the show.

Downunder
11-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Hate that guy

mitchables
11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Just watched the second episode. Great stuff.

Then went to go read the comic... and... we are ALMOST to the end of the second issue. Think I might stop trying to read the comics concurrently with the show.

nah see they jumped ahead and fused 2 trips to the city into one in the episode - in the book, rick and glenn go back to the city to try the guts idea, they don't use it the first time they're leaving. writers truncated and turned both trips into one, so you're actually behind an issue or so.

Lock Jaw
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
:mad:

Nah, its all good. Definitely gonna stop trying to read it though. Enjoying the show way too much to "read ahead".

KayfabeMan
11-18-2010, 05:41 AM
I cannot believe that season 2 of this show will not start until OCTOBER OF 2011.

That is just totally fucking ridiculous.

mitchables
11-18-2010, 05:44 AM
they keep deviating further from the book, i am not sure what's going on with that dixon guy and how he's going to fit in to it all :-\

Lock Jaw
11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Haven't read the books so I'm just going to take a wild swing and guess...

They are gonna swerve us. They'll find Merle Dixon alive and rescue him, but Daryl Dixon will be lost in the process... the first we get to see of a character being "zombified".

mitchables
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
yeah but that's what i'm saying, the dixons aren't even in the book so no idea where they're going with it. besides, who gets zombiefied in the book first matters more than made-for-tv daryl. :-\

Jeritron
11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about how it reconciles with the book. It's easy for me to say, since I haven't read past the first issue, but I really would just strap in for a seperate experience.

Lock Jaw
11-18-2010, 08:53 PM
yeah but that's what i'm saying, the dixons aren't even in the book so no idea where they're going with it. besides, who gets zombiefied in the book first matters more than made-for-tv daryl. :-\

Quiet you. Let me have my theories.

Jeritron
11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I cannot believe that season 2 of this show will not start until OCTOBER OF 2011.

When does Season 1 end?

IC Champion
11-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Why is one year so ridiculous?

IC Champion
11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about how it reconciles with the book. It's easy for me to say, since I haven't read past the first issue, but I really would just strap in for a seperate experience.

Yeah. Can you imagine if there was the internet around back in Kubricks day...

Lock Jaw
11-18-2010, 09:53 PM
When does Season 1 end?

Season 1 is only six episodes, so it is ending on December 5th.

CSL
11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Shiiiit, 6 episodes? I thought we'd get 12-13 :(

And yeah, a year between seasons starting is perfectly normal, just maybe seems a bit much because it's 'new and exciting' or something. I felt the same way after watching all of Breaking Bad in a few weeks a couple of months back and finding out the next season wasn't until June.

Jeritron
11-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Jesus. 6 episodes and then nearly a year long wait? That's pretty shit. Hopefully that doesn't happen between 2 and 3, and so forth.

Lock Jaw
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Season 2 is already confirmed to be 13 episodes.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 12:46 AM
13 is still short. That means it's more like half a season. A full season is about 22 episodes.

KayfabeMan
11-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Jesus. 6 episodes and then nearly a year long wait? That's pretty shit. Hopefully that doesn't happen between 2 and 3, and so forth.

dronepool
11-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Holy fuck. Seriously? We have to wait about 10 in a half months for season 2?

godfuckingdamnit.

KayfabeMan
11-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Why is one year so ridiculous?

It's a ridiculously long wait after only 6 episodes.

A year 'between' seasons is normal when there are 22 episodes in a season, so the show could end in May and resume in September. I guess with it getting a start late in the season, etc. there has to be a gap for the holidays and whatnot, but don't understand why it has to wait until October again - and then only 13 episodes.

CSL
11-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Only on ABC/NBC/Fox etc (Lost, West Wing, 24 etc) are there that many eps. What I gather are the 'premium' networks (HBO/Showtime/AMC etc) 12/13 eps is standard (The Wire/Sopranos/Breaking Bad/Mad Men/The Shield/Entourage/Dexter/Californication etc etc)

dronepool
11-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I hope October is because due to filming and post-production- not for the October gimmick of being appropriate for Halloween.

CSL
11-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Why would that matter?

dronepool
11-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Because if they could get it out on TV a few months earlier, it would be nice. Waiting for March and then October for new South Park sucks, this is x2 longer.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Fall is when shows tend to premiere.

Either way, that's a longer than usual wait.

Loose Cannon
11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
loved when the "other sheriff" (still don't know the names) beat the shit out of that one guy.

IC Champion
11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
13 is still short. That means it's more like half a season. A full season is about 22 episodes.

With 30 minute shows, and on networks. It's pretty standard for cable to have 13 episode seasons.

IC Champion
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
It's a ridiculously long wait after only 6 episodes.

A year 'between' seasons is normal when there are 22 episodes in a season, so the show could end in May and resume in September. I guess with it getting a start late in the season, etc. there has to be a gap for the holidays and whatnot, but don't understand why it has to wait until October again - and then only 13 episodes.

You people need to stop watching network trash such a Lost and whatever else is on. 6 episodes for a first season is normal with cable. Especially with a show that probably was probably fairly expensive to film for a cable TV show.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Anything more than 6 episodes is trash

IC Champion
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Anything more than 6 episodes is trash

No, but the majority of programming on network television is.

Lock Jaw
11-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I hope they can maintain the high quality in season 2 and don't "run into budget problems".

Also, I wonder what the show is gonna do when Rick's kid starts to grow like mad through the off-season, but is still supposed to be the same on the show.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 01:13 PM
No, but the majority of programming on network television is.

This is true. But I resent Lost being used as the example

IC Champion
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Most here would. But I couldn't stand Lost.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Fair enough. Nothing about Lost is really what you would consider a product of network television though. The content and direction holds no punches. It's totally out there, and doesn't make any bones about being it's own thing.
It's pretty complex at points, and it's got it's share of science fiction and non-linear storytelling. It was never watered down for network TV, and abc sort of just let them run with it. It was never the highest rated show or anything.
So I wouldn't lump it in with typical network crap. If anything, it was more similar to a cable/hbo show. It did have a few romantic story-lines, but they were never dominant. It was really just there, which even the most esteemed cable shows seem to require.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Lost was really expensive to film, and the seasons were all written in advance. People can debate whether the show was pre-planned to certain degrees, but the seasons definitely were written out at once.
So as far as budget and production goes, it's similar to any major cable show or mini-series. Actually, being on network TV probably helped the show by allowing it to have a bigger budget to film on location, and have a bunch more episodes that didn't go to waste (spent on individual characters).

As you can tell, I'm in love with Lost.

IC Champion
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Me not liking lost had nothing to do with the network it was on, and more to do with the writing and premise of the show.

Jeritron
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Indeed. I wish there was a shorter season break though. I know 6 episodes is reasonable for a first season, but it's not unheard of to have the second season start earlier.

Loose Cannon
11-21-2010, 10:54 PM
OMG @ this

Loose Cannon
11-21-2010, 10:56 PM
holy shit

Loose Cannon
11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
that's how you build towards a scene. took 4 episodes, but well worth it

KayfabeMan
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
:y:

KayfabeMan
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Best thing on TV.

Blitz
11-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Damn, just got into this, amazing. Awesome at staging emotional scenes, which is not something I thought I'd ever say about a zombie show. But that scene in the first ep that cut between Morgan with the rifle and Rick putting down the legless zombie, that was some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Also Michael Rooker is stone cold fucking crazy and I love him for it.

Hanso Amore
11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a feeling that the camp intrusion was caused on purpose by Merle.

Blitz
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm guessing Merle is either gonna end up an unlikely hero, or Darryl will be forced to kill him. Possibly while he's still alive.

RoXer
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Merle clearly drove a truck full of zombies into camp

Ermaximus
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't trust that Jim guy. Almost certain that fucker had something to do with the zombies at the camp. Anybody else notice how he just casually walks away when it starts, takes out 1 zombie, and then casually walks back after all the walkers are dead?

That guy is whacked out of his mind. Him and Merle no doubt have something sinister planned or something.

I am however liking how they're gradually turning Merle's brother into less of a dick and a bit more of an antihero.

Lol @ Glen being a pizza boy.

Last thing, was anyone else waiting for the blonde chicks sister to turn and then sit up and bite her sisters face off?

Blitz
11-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Why are you guys so convinced someone "let" the zombies in to the camp?

Lock Jaw
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Damn. Business has just picked up.

Ermaximus
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Just the way that so many zombies just so happened to appear undetected and all of a sudden when they hadn't had any problems prior to that incident. Granted there was the 1 in episode 3 that was eating the deer, but aside from him, there were no real indications there were zombies anywhere near them. Could've been let into the camp by someone, or they could've slowly creeped their way there when Glen's car alarm was going crazy, who knows, but at this point in time I'm calling foul play on that camp attack.

Eklipse
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't trust that Jim guy. Almost certain that fucker had something to do with the zombies at the camp. Anybody else notice how he just casually walks away when it starts, takes out 1 zombie, and then casually walks back after all the walkers are dead?

That guy is whacked out of his mind. Him and Merle no doubt have something sinister planned or something.

I am however liking how they're gradually turning Merle's brother into less of a dick and a bit more of an antihero.

Lol @ Glen being a pizza boy.

Last thing, was anyone else waiting for the blonde chicks sister to turn and then sit up and bite her sisters face off?

Was totally expecting a turn. I yelled "Get the fuck away, dumbass!!" at the tv like 8 times.

Eklipse
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM

My guess is that Merle lead them back to the camp from the city to get a measure of revenge.

Ermaximus
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
They set it up like it was so obviously going to happen, but I guess they don't turn that fast in this series. I mean the girl got bit on the arm and then the neck. She's laying there bleeding to death with her sister sitting on top of her, with her blood all over her hands crying, and I'm just sitting there thinking, "this stupid bitch is so fucked if/when her sister turns into a zombie."

I still say though that Jim is hiding something. I swear I hope they don't say his "dream" had something to do with this. The show is amazing as is and it doesn't need some whacked out idea screwing it up.

Eklipse
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought Jim was digging everyones grave and would eventually snap and kill someone.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Shane beat that guy's (earl?) ass on episode 3.

thedamndest
11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the zombie from episode 3 was the indicator that zombies were headed that way. For all Merle knew his brother was in the camp so I doubt he would lead the zombies to him.

Nowhere Man
11-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Been watching (and loving the hell out of) this show. I didn't think I was going to like any of the new characters that weren't in the comic, but a lot of them have really grown on me (the crazy-ass rednecks in particular; Merle is just the most entertaining kind of scum).

Also, I was actually starting to feel bad for Shane until Lori's reveal in the third episode (not sure if we're keeping the thread spoiler-free). So yeah, fuck him.

Blitz
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I think the zombie from episode 3 was the indicator that zombies were headed that way. For all Merle knew his brother was in the camp so I doubt he would lead the zombies to him.
Yeah they foreshadowed it with that. I think if Merle was looking for revenge he'd do it himself, rather than somehow leading the zombies there.

Blitz
11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Also, I was actually starting to feel bad for Shane until Lori's reveal in the third episode (not sure if we're keeping the thread spoiler-free). So yeah, fuck him.
Yeah Lori definitely seemed like a straight up stone cold bitch till that reveal. But I'm not absolutely convinced Shane did it in malice. Could've just been bad information.

Lock Jaw
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Or perhaps it was done in a "doing it to protect you, get you to move on and survive" kind of way.

HeartBreakMan2k
11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
I bet Merle's brother ends up being the one to put Merle down. Like Merle will try to shoot the black dude or someone and Merle will shoot him and save the guy.

Eklipse
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah Lori definitely seemed like a straight up stone cold bitch till that reveal. But I'm not absolutely convinced Shane did it in malice. Could've just been bad information.

You would have to assume that somebody in a coma in a hospital overrun with zombies has no chance of survival...that could have been his reasoning.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
They set it up like it was so obviously going to happen, but I guess they don't turn that fast in this series.

people turn at different rates in the book. it's not really covered why. one person turns instantly; another person doesn't turn for (at least) hours, possibly days - it's not really established, but it's at minimum 6 hours for the other person. so i don't think there's really a set time frame for how long it takes.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
i know jeritron, "i can't go by the book". but whatever. this is the information i have.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Been watching (and loving the hell out of) this show. I didn't think I was going to like any of the new characters that weren't in the comic, but a lot of them have really grown on me (the crazy-ass rednecks in particular; Merle is just the most entertaining kind of scum).

i would agree with this if i didn't feel like the majority of the characters (with the obvious exceptions of daryl, merle, and t-dog [is it t-dog?]) were simply put in there to be walker fodder in the big camp invasion last episode

definitely came across that way with how much time they invested in some vs. others.

Ol Dirty Dastard
11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
i would agree with this if i didn't feel like the majority of the characters (with the obvious exceptions of daryl, merle, and t-dog [is it t-dog?]) were simply put in there to be walker fodder in the big camp invasion last episode

definitely came across that way with how much time they invested in some vs. others.

Why do you keep talking about the book?

Ol Dirty Dastard
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Sry it seems like you are hating, but I don't know if you actually are.

Downunder
11-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I thought it was a comic, not a book?

Anyway, didn't they have cans and such stringed up around the camp as a warning for stray zombies. Someone (Merle) must have taken them down to let the zombies in.

CSL
11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Can we tie Ermaximus up and pummel him the corner to stop him from claiming what he thinks will happen since I'm pretty sure he's already read some/all of this ahead of the show?

Ermaximus
11-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Can we tie Ermaximus up and pummel him the corner to stop him from claiming what he thinks will happen since I'm pretty sure he's already read some/all of this ahead of the show?

Actually I haven't read them at all. The comic shop is always sold out.:o

CSL
11-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Are you lying Ermaximus?

Ermaximus
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Are you lying Ermaximus?

Nope. No reason to.

I've wanted to read the books, but my comic guy can't keep them in stock so, I said the hell with it. It's become a fad at the shop he said so, I'll just wait it out to read them.

CSL
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Was the fact that Merle has a brother mentioned in the 2nd episode Ermaximus?

Ermaximus
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Was the fact that Merle has a brother mentioned in the 2nd episode Ermaximus?

Yea, at the very end when they said "Darryl is going to be pissed." I think?

CSL
11-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Actually didn't somebody say that the brothers aren't even in the books?

CSL
11-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Still watching you like NPH Ermaximus.

Ermaximus
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Lol ok CSL.

I think mitchables said that btw CSL.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Why do you keep talking about the book?

i was replying to somebody who was talking about characters in the show that weren't in the book, in that particular case, so... that's why.

before that, it's because, y'know, the series is based on one of my favourite comic books ever. that is why. any adaptation is going to be compared to the original format, rightly or wrongly. i'm not saying i don't understand some of the changes they've made, but it doesn't mean i have to like them. and besides, my point from the post you quoted stands like hell - the people were really not there for any good reason other than to add to the body count come the camp invasion. big fucking deal.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I thought it was a comic, not a book?

fighting every urge in my body to lose my shit at you right now.

Londoner
11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Seriously though, was it a comic or a book?

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Actually didn't somebody say that the brothers aren't even in the books?

yes but apparently i am forbidden from discussing the books because series that are based on other media should not be held remotely in comparative esteem, especially when said series are advertised as being "based on" the other media. MY MISTAKE.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM

the two are not mutually exclusive. comics are a type of book. you don't look at an aquarium and go, "oh, is that a snapper or a fish?"

Ermaximus
11-24-2010, 08:39 PM

It's more or less a graphic novel I believe. Kind of like Sin City.

Londoner
11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Never really think of comics as a book, think of them to be comics. Funny how that works!

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
it's an ongoing comic book series.

thus, it is three things, really:

1. individual issues of a comic book released on a monthly schedule.
2. collected editions of 5-6 issues as trade paperbacks, which are single books, and probably the closest format to being considered a "graphic novel".
3. hardcover collections which collect 4-5 tpbs in one.

Londoner
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
I quite like the fact that its different from the comic anyway, otherwise all you guys who have read it would've spoiled the whole thing by now.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:43 PM
i would be no more driven to spoil it if it followed the book to the letter than as it follows it relatively closely with dramatic license taken for tv.

Londoner
11-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't you think its more creative(and interesting) to not write something that's already been written???

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:45 PM
yeah i don't think anywhere in this thread did i say that i don't understand why they've changed stuff. kirkman is not a fantastic dialogue writer sometimes, and he definitely didn't spend time developing the characters early on. you have to do that for tv. i understand that. that doesn't mean that for crucial plot points and moments that are important in the book should be discarded outright or mangled out of recognition.

Londoner
11-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Fair enough. I'm just looking forward to episode 4 anyway after a shite episode, seemed like nothing happened in episode 3.

mitchables
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
oh to clarify for newstead, i am not actually hating. i really have enjoyed the four episodes to date. have nothing but high hopes for the series, and it's delivered so far. that doesn't mean i am not allowed to question certain creative choices, knowing where the series is supposed to go but not necessarily where it will.

Downunder
11-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I wasn't being a dick, I want to read it, if it's a book (novel) I'm not going to find it in the horror section at Dimocks am I?

Ol Dirty Dastard
11-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Mitch calm down. Just enjoy it ;)

mitchables
11-25-2010, 02:13 AM
I wasn't being a dick, I want to read it, if it's a book (novel) I'm not going to find it in the horror section at Dimocks am I?

you'd probably find it in the graphic novels section at borders. not sure if dymocks carry it. borders definitely do though.

but yes, you can find it at (some) bookstores, although those will only be trade paperbacks (which is what you'd want anyway).

moreover, you could just torrent it ;)

Downunder
11-25-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't think we have Boarders here - but torrents will do. :y:

mitchables
11-25-2010, 09:26 AM
grab yourself a comics viewer like cdisplay. i know there's a torrent on demonoid that has issues 1-66 in one go*, and then you should be able to find the individual issues after that pretty easily. might even have expanded the original one.

*for people like fignuts who will judge me if i don't say this, i also buy tpbs of everything i download.

Blitz
11-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I found a torrent of the first 78 issues. 1600+ pages. Read about 400 so far. Leagues different from the show, both in tone and storyline. So far, anyways.

Downunder
11-25-2010, 03:51 PM
grab yourself a comics viewer like cdisplay. i know there's a torrent on demonoid that has issues 1-66 in one go*, and then you should be able to find the individual issues after that pretty easily. might even have expanded the original one.

*for people like fignuts who will judge me if i don't say this, i also buy tpbs of everything i download.

I don't buy anything I download - that's the point :D

Hanso Amore
11-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Why do we think merle was in on it?

Well, they show him steal a large truck and mention that he will want revenge. Then they RUN to camp and find it under attack. merle in a truck would get back much faster than them. Its all assumption, but just an idea that does make sense.

Lock Jaw
11-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Technically, they never showed him stealing the truck.

mitchables
11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
yeah it's true, really it was just an assumption on rick/glenn/daryl/t-dog's part to say merle stole the truck. there's a good likelihood of it, obviously, but i wouldn't say it's in the bank just yet.

Blitz
11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Sort of a boring episode this week.

Now that I've read the series, I have no patience for any of the characters created for the show :'(

mitchables
11-29-2010, 08:27 AM

Now that I've read the series, I have no patience for any of the characters created for the show :'(

now we understand each other.

Ol Dirty Dastard
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
now we understand each other.

I haven't read the books, but since the beginning I don't understand how those 2 sisters fit in. I'm happy the one is dead now, but like fuck, could they have found 2 worse actresses? I plainly just don't understand their purpose, other than god fucking awful scenes that don't fit in with the rest of the show.

Were they in the books?

mitchables
11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
yeah, andrea features heavily in the books. amy dies the exact same way in the book pretty much, except she has andrea's character model when she was drawn by tony moore originally (or does andrea have amy's character model when adlard took over? :$ whatever) but yeah, andrea is one of the main characters.

wwe2222
11-29-2010, 07:41 PM

I thought it was one of the top 2 episodes. I never read the comics though

Lock Jaw
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Surprised not even one mention of Merle this week. You'd think it would have been an issue with Daryl on whether to leave or not.

Miotch
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Daryl mentioned it a few times.

Lock Jaw
11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
He mentioned it in a "you left him, and now you got attacked. KARMA, BITCH!" kinda way, but not when they were all talking about leaving.

Also, I really thought Jim was on track to be one of the main characters. I guess not. I have a feeling we'll see Zombie Jim sometime later on in the series though.

Miotch
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
His lost brother aside I would think that his own survival would be his #1 priority.

YOUR Hero
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
He mentioned it in a "you left him, and now you got attacked. KARMA, BITCH!" kinda way, but not when they were all talking about leaving.

Also, I really thought Jim was on track to be one of the main characters. I guess not. I have a feeling we'll see Zombie Jim sometime later on in the series though.

Zombie Jim will know where they are going.

Ol Dirty Dastard
11-30-2010, 01:47 AM
yeah, andrea features heavily in the books. amy dies the exact same way in the book pretty much, except she has andrea's character model when she was drawn by tony moore originally (or does andrea have amy's character model when adlard took over? :$ whatever) but yeah, andrea is one of the main characters.

:(

Ermaximus
12-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey Mitchables, maybe you can answer this for me since you've read the comics. What is the name of the Japanese girl in the series that kills the zombies with a katana sword and drags some of the zombies around with chains like pets? I heard they were going to add her into season 2, but I'd like to do some research about the character first.

mitchables
12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
might be getting your comics mixed up there. there is a character called michonne who does exactly what you described, but she looks like this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100319234337/walkingdead/images/thumb/6/63/Issue_19.jpg/289px-Issue_19.jpg

she is, however, one of the single most bad-ass characters in the entire book, so i can't wait for her to come along. also look up a character called abraham and understand why i was so confused/disappointed by the addition of the dixon brothers.

you might have thought she was japanese though because of this lady, toyota, from y: the last man:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/y-the-last-man/31-1.jpg

who is a japanese assassin with a katana blade that winds up getting fucked up by someone who looks a lot like michonne, agent 355:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Dedl8W_ve5Z9bM:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/spiffyish/books/graphicnovels-comics/3agent355.png&t=1

comics be crazy.

Blitz
12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
also look up a character called abraham and understand why i was so confused/disappointed by the addition of the dixon brothers.
How do you mean? Don't really see any parallels between the Dixons and Abraham, other than Abe being a bit of a redneck.

mitchables
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
How do you mean? Don't really see any parallels between the Dixons and Abraham, other than Abe being a bit of a redneck.

the personalities are different but the archetype is the same. abraham is so impressive when he rocks up because not only is he apparently generally an actually decent person, but he is really the first hyper-competent uber-mensch style character introduced to the book after ages of rick and co. being luckier than they are skilled. and now the dixon brothers are all up in that gimmick. whatever, maybe i just like abraham.

Ermaximus
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Soooo, how about that season 1 ending?

Hanso Amore
12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Was meh. I loved the intro. would love to see more of that early phase.

But it was only 6 episodes in, so I like that they didnt go too deep into anything. Now that it has a fan base, season 2 can really begin to explore the story now that they know there is little hope out there.

Ermaximus
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I really hope they do Hanso. That whole flashback sequence was really well done. The fact those military guys were like "fuck this guy, he's a vegetable" showed how crazy the world was becoming. I just feel they spent way too much time telling us what we already knew in that last episode ya know?

I was going to be shocked if Dale and Andrea (I think that's the blonde's name?) had both actually stayed behind to die with Dr. Jenning and the black lady whose name I still don't know.

I'm intrested to know what he whispered in Rick's ear at the end though.

Jeritron
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I figured they'd give the audience a little something more in a finale. Not sure how much they can really do about that though, I guess.
It was good, but my concept of a season finale is basically in the stars after 6 years of Lost.

Hanso Amore
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
it sucks too because how big a FINALE can you have to 6 episodes? They basically had a min series that needed to be left open.

I hope they come back a bit down the line in season two, like a month or two after the finale, with them even more grizzled and desperate.

Hanso Amore
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Imagine a series that takes place starting day one and takes place following the survivors making it through the end. SICK.

Why were the military killing all the peeps in the hospital though, is my question.

Ermaximus
12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Imagine a series that takes place starting day one and takes place following the survivors making it through the end. SICK.

Why were the military killing all the peeps in the hospital though, is my question.

To me it looked like they were executing the infected people. All the people they executed were bloody so I'm guessing they had been bitten/scratched.

Hanso Amore
12-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I didnt notice that. Ill have to watch. Seemed like staff to me, like they were just killing everyone since they had no idea what the infection was or if it was airborne, so they gassed the place and kill everyone.

Lock Jaw
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
"What happens when that clock reaches zero?"-"You don't want to find out, brotha. Now press this button to reset it every time, while I go off and leave you here in my place"

Is what I thought was coming.

Ermaximus
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I didnt notice that. Ill have to watch. Seemed like staff to me, like they were just killing everyone since they had no idea what the infection was or if it was airborne, so they gassed the place and kill everyone.

I think it was just certain people because when that first group of people walked by Shane, when he tried to get that nurse to help him, they had military people escorting them.

Blitz
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Glad to see the CDC trip was short, though I really liked the Jenner character and wish he would've stuck around. Feel like he whispered that Lori was pregnant to Rick.

Hope the next season hews to the comic a little closer. Read an interview with Darabont where he mentioned how much he loved the Governor and couldn't wait to bring him to TV, so that'd be cool. But I'd give it a couple of more seasons first.

Jeritron
12-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I think it was just certain people because when that first group of people walked by Shane, when he tried to get that nurse to help him, they had military people escorting them.

They would definitely just kill everyone to contain it in an outbreak area. And I assume that's what it was, because it's a hospital and there'd be no reason to be sending military against it unless there was still an attempt to stop the spread.

Hanso Amore
12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
When Jenner was talking to a camera I totally was like "TRUMAN SHOW YAY"

Swiss Ultimate
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Glad to see the CDC trip was short, though I really liked the Jenner character and wish he would've stuck around. Feel like he whispered that Lori was pregnant to Rick.

Hope the next season hews to the comic a little closer. Read an interview with Darabont where he mentioned how much he loved the Governor and couldn't wait to bring him to TV, so that'd be cool. But I'd give it a couple of more seasons first.

Whoa, that makes a lot of sense now. It didn't even cross my mind. I assumed/was hoping it was where to find the best possible chance for survival.

YOUR Hero
12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Whoa, that makes a lot of sense now. It didn't even cross my mind. I assumed/was hoping it was where to find the best possible chance for survival.

ahaha... of course.

Loose Cannon
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
shit, just realized I totally missed this on Sunday. will have to watch it from my laptop

Londoner
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Just watched the 6th episode online, was better than i was expecting, just wondering where they're gonna go in the next series with this. Glad i didn't feel let down by it atleast. :cool:

YOUR Hero
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Although I fell asleep in the middle of the last episode, I found it didn't end with a direction to ponder in between 'seasons'. In other words, it was a let down.

Lock Jaw
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, if they wanted to leave a cliffhanger ending, the opening of the hatch at the end of episode 5 would have been fantastic.

Though, then everybody would be pissed off because of the cliffhanger with the long wait. Instead they just resolved the cliffhanger and left it off on pretty much no cliffhanger.

Londoner
12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, if they wanted to leave a cliffhanger ending, the opening of the hatch at the end of episode 5 would have been fantastic.

Though, then everybody would be pissed off because of the cliffhanger with the long wait. Instead they just resolved the cliffhanger and left it off on pretty much no cliffhanger.

Yeah, i think that's probably the reason for it. Plus they're getting new writers for the next series i think. Strangely enough i didn't go into watching it thinking there will be a cliffhanger for some reason!

Jeritron
12-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I wish there was something to talk about. The ending sort of landed them back at square one. The whisper isn't really enough fodder to drive me crazy

Jeritron
12-09-2010, 02:41 AM
http://eslatele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/2x01-JackLockeHatch.jpg

I know I need to stop comparing every TV show to Lost.

RoXer
12-09-2010, 02:43 AM
"Motherfucker", you didn't even have to wait. You watched them all at once because you downloaded them.

I understand the point you're making but you don't get to make it.

RoXer
12-09-2010, 02:58 AM
If I remember correctly, you dled the first 5 and waited for the last season.

So change that picture to Juliet tapping the bomb and we'll be square.

Miotch
12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
For those that read the comics, can you let me know what the differences were? I know the CDC wasn't in the books for example, but I'm guessing it was used as a different means to an end?

Jeritron
12-13-2010, 11:23 PM
"Motherfucker", you didn't even have to wait. You watched them all at once because you downloaded them.

I understand the point you're making but you don't get to make it.

I didn't download shit. I watched them mostly on DVD though. But I did have to wait a couple times

Blitz
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
For those that read the comics, can you let me know what the differences were? I know the CDC wasn't in the books for example, but I'm guessing it was used as a different means to an end?
Basically the CDC thing seems like it could've been an "aside". Next season could be very faithful to the comic. I guess the only really major thing that's been changed was a major character dying very early in the books

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Am I the only one who couldn't really care less about it matching the comics? I'd almost rather it not, so that it stops being compared and projected every week.

I'd rather be able to enjoy the show and comic as seperate entities anyways.

I say this all with as much respect as possible.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
it would matter less if the comics were shite. but they're awesome, so naturally the comparison isn't so much that we want the show to be just like the comics, but that we want it to be just as awesome.

and if i'm completely honest, it kind of isn't, so far.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 02:02 AM
i guess my feelings extend to the idea that if they wanted to have different characters, events, storylines, settings, and other factors, then they could have just made an original zombie series and not made out like they were basing it on an already existing work.

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
That's why I almost never compare the book and the adaptation. Perhaps I'm just personally able to completely seperate the mediums.
Lord of the Rings, Watchmen, and Scott Pilgrim are all examples where I really don't have a preference one way or the other.
I'd drive myself crazy trying to compare and contrast.
I fully recognize the need to alter and delete, and welcome it in a lot of cases.

With Walking Dead, I only read a few issues before the show started, so I can't really talk. But I chose to just roll with the show for now and revisit the books later.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 02:17 AM
yeah i am not a retard that does not recognise the need for alterations for things to work across mediums jeri, i just don't think the changes that have been made so far have necessarily added anything that isn't already covered somewhere else in the book, so it feels like a pointless addition/alteration.

like, i was 100% right on my call about the excess people in their camp. at the end of the day, the only function they served to the story was adding to the body count during the zombie attack on the camp. even ms. convenient city planner wound up taking herself out with jenner. basically, they were unnecessary. why put them in if they're not going to actually do something?

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:22 AM
I suppose the body count is more amusing in live action because of make-up and action. I still agree that it's red-shirt nonsense, but whatever.

I think the city planner pulled her weight

dronepool
12-14-2010, 02:24 AM
I say they put them there because death = ratings, shock and awe. The show would have less "holy crap" factors.

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:27 AM
I think they're also probably trying to satisfy the zombie genre by providing enough attacks to make those fans happy.
Unfortunately there are people who would watch a great episode of that show and feel cheated because there weren't any zombie attacks or head-shots.
I think part of debuting it on Halloween was to lure in the horror movie demographic, on top of people who can appreciate a good story.

TV is a joke sometimes. Even the best shows need to stay afloat by pandering to audiences weekly, somehow.
The writers of Lost joked about how in season 5, there was so much time travel and dialogue, they upped the time Sawyer had his shirt off so that uninterested female viewers wouldn't give up.

I'm also sure you know how this all works mitch. I'm not saying you have to like it
I also haven't read the books yet though, so it's easy for me to ignore it.

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:35 AM
There was one change they made from the first book that I noticed. That zombie that wanders up to the fence at the police station. In the book Rick saves the bullet, but in the show he blows his head off.
I think that's a good example of what you're talking about.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 02:39 AM
I say they put them there because death = ratings, shock and awe. The show would have less "holy crap" factors.

see again, i don't want to be "this guy" but if you'd read the book you'd know there is absolutely no need for them to be padding the death count.

trust me, LOTS of people die in this series. major characters, minor characters, characters in-between that look like they were going to make the leap to the big leagues... nobody is safe. they die in ways far more shocking and awe-inspiring than the first attack at camp. that attack was supposed to be nothing. it was 2 zombies in the book, from memory. because they don't start discussing big groups - or better yet, herds (which i cannot wait to see on screen) - until much later on. amazing that a book that powers through to the point still manages to build suspense. but yeah.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 02:46 AM
I think they're also probably trying to satisfy the zombie genre by providing enough attacks to make those fans happy.
Unfortunately there are people who would watch a great episode of that show and feel cheated because there weren't any zombie attacks or head-shots.
I think part of debuting it on Halloween was to lure in the horror movie demographic, on top of people who can appreciate a good story.

TV is a joke sometimes. Even the best shows need to stay afloat by pandering to audiences weekly, somehow.
The writers of Lost joked about how in season 5, there was so much time travel and dialogue, they upped the time Sawyer had his shirt off so that uninterested female viewers wouldn't give up.

I'm also sure you know how this all works mitch. I'm not saying you have to like it
I also haven't read the books yet though, so it's easy for me to ignore it.

no i know, i wasn't having a go at you. sorry if i sounded like i was. tv is driven by what entertains the masses, and generally complex storylines and plot twists ain't it. i know this. on the other side of the coin, i guess having read the books makes it harder for me to ignore it, while on your side, having not read the books means the show is proving itself to you on its own two legs, and you don't have the expectation or desire to see certain things eventuate as you read them. in some ways, i envy that. i feel like i'd probably enjoy this show a lot more if i hadn't read the books.

There was one change they made from the first book that I noticed. That zombie that wanders up to the fence at the police station. In the book Rick saves the bullet, but in the show he blows his head off.
I think that's a good example of what you're talking about.

yeah, exactly this. morgan tells him to save the bullet, but in the books that zombie was just a random, too. it wasn't someone rick knew and was 'putting out of their misery', as such.

jumping into the tank at the end of the first episode was another example. i realise it got him the grenade that they used in the finale, which makes me doubly torn because it means they put in an event that was not in the books to justify an entire subplot that was not in the books. that's what i mean when i say the changes feel unnecessary, i guess.

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Personally I found the CDC stuff to be a highlight of the first season. It was a nice break from the survivalist wagon train.
I'm not sure how it factors with the books, but that's my virgin take on it.

It will be interesting for me to read the books eventually.

Jeritron
12-14-2010, 02:53 AM
I started, and was going to read along with the show. Maybe I will read more during this summer.
It's a long time between seasons.

mitchables
12-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Personally I found the CDC stuff to be a highlight of the first season. It was a nice break from the survivalist wagon train.
I'm not sure how it factors with the books, but that's my virgin take on it.

It will be interesting for me to read the books eventually.

they've never covered what happened during the time rick was in his coma, because the book follows rick. the only thing they ever really showed in a flashback was lori hooking up with shane. but again, that whole thing was handled way differently - it legitimately is construed as a once off kind of deal there, while in the series (until the reveal) i kind of felt like lori was being made out to be this huge slut who was porking shane well before her husband went under.

either way, i would say that the series has been sufficiently removed from the books for you to be able to read them and not spoil the series for yourself in the sense of "oh i know what's going to happen and how it's going to play out," because even i don't feel like that having read every issue to date, especially in light of the detours they keep taking.

but it might spoil it for you in the sense of "um, why are they doing this when they should be doing that?" kind of deal.

still, if you're interested, i would absolutely recommend reading them. like you said, got a year between seasons so if you read the book and see where they are vs. where they're going, it might provide you with some serious speculative ammo to kill the next 12 months with.

and at least then we could talk about people like axel and michonne and the governor and woodbury and such without everyone "looking" at us like we're crazy.

feel like there should be two threads for this series, because there is so much i want to say that i haven't for the benefit of those who haven't read the books. so screw whoever said "oh well it's good not a lot of people have read/it doesn't follow the books because you'd just ruin it for us", because that's not how i roll.

Miotch
12-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Use and label spoiler tags.

I, for one, would love to read your insight on the changes, even without having read the books.

Tazz Dan
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
So I haven't read this thread past the first page, but is this show actually good? I downloaded the first 2 episodes, but couldn't get into the first one. It was late at night though, maybe I should watch past the first 5 minutes?

Lock Jaw
12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, definitely watch it.

Blitz
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
DVD is out next week. Entertainment Weekly put up a brief interview about season 2 with Robert Kirkman here (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/02/walking-dead-season-two-details/). Most interesting tidbit is that we'll be seeing Hershel's farm.

Skippord
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
just watched all of this, pretty incredible

so bummed that Emma Bell isn't on it anymore though. may be in love with her.

Matt Gingarac
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Can't wait for this to come back on.