PDA

View Full Version : Could a mainly high flyer still main event?

Rollermacka
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Why would a bunch of mexican midgets be intimidating?

Gotta love this quote from where we were talking about luchadores being the "THEY" in TNA. :roll: My question is could a high flying wrestler from Japan, Mexico, or even the USA still become a main event in WWE of TNA? WWE completely stopped Evan Bourne's push and TNA was originally based on high energy matches but now is more focused on name recognition (61 year old Ric Flair vs 45 year old Mick Foley as the main event of Impact Live) than in ring ability.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 03:53 PM
AJ Styles

Xero
10-01-2010, 03:54 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpg

Ermaximus
10-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Aside from Mysterio or Del Rio, no.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
If they ever allow Alberto Del Rio do his high flying stuff than Hell Yes!

The Pope
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Also the thread should also ask as to why there isn't many high-flyers main eventing.

Ermaximus
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Because Vince has a boner for big guys obviously and Russo is just a fucking idiot.

Kane Knight
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders.

Xero
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Because Vince has a boner for big guys obviously and Russo is just a fucking idiot.

This.

But McMahon knows that guys like this CAN draw and are marketable, and it's a good idea to keep at least one floating around the main event at all times.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 04:02 PM

When Russo was in full control, they had AJ, Jerry Lynn, and even had some X-Division matches in the main events. I think Dixie got fucked by Rob Terry or something and now she's trying to push big guys too.

Ermaximus
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
When Russo was in full control, they had AJ, Jerry Lynn, and even had some X-Division matches in the main events. I think Dixie got fucked by Rob Terry or something and now she's trying to push big guys too.

Ok then Dixie likes to get her vag ripped open by big roided freaks?

Destro 2.0
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Lets no bring TNA into this Discussion because any home grown star only gets one title reign outside of AJ styles then gets buried by WWE rejects. So being world champ in TNA doesn't count they are still the minor leagues.

DLVH84
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Before his car accident in 1996 and eventual death in 1997, I think Brian Pillman would be a great example of a high-flying main eventer.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
RVD

Jordan
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
No a "mainly high flyer" won't be in the main event of WWE, not unless they are able to work a decent WWE style match. Rey and RVD as mentioned are the best examples of this. John Morrison is another, he can be flashy and fly but he can also grapple a little bit too.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok then Dixie likes to get her vag ripped open by big roided freaks?

Yes, who doesn't? :shifty:

Xero
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
No a "mainly high flyer" won't be in the main event of WWE, not unless they are able to work a decent WWE style match. Rey and RVD as mentioned are the best examples of this. John Morrison is another, he can be flashy and fly but he can also grapple a little bit too.

This is true for anyone in any style. Everyone has to adapt to the WWE style.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM
This is true for anyone in any style. Everyone has to adapt to the WWE style.

True, which is why Jack Evans is in AAA. And the reason why CZW is not really wrestling.

Emperor Smeat
10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes its possible but the problem is the traditional WWF/WWE main event style is heavy in mat-based wrestling with the occasional submission style wrestlers to keep things fresh.

Rey Mysterio worked out well mainly because they played him up as the underdog in almost all his matches. Since he couldn't match strength with mat-based wrestlers, his high flying attacks became his advantage in a match.

TNA has been more willing to push different types of wrestlers as main event wrestlers but slowly pushing more towards mat-based preference with all the mat-based stars they sign from the WWE.

What Would Kevin Do?
10-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes, it's totally possible. Not probable, but possible.

Mysterio or Del Rio easily could.

Bourne, Garbriel, or Kaval, if they had a manager as a mouthpiece, easily could as well. All three are guys who can go in the ring, can go against someone of any size, and can make the opponent look great. They just need someone who could build them up. Bourne especially. Gabriel could work as a more quiet, sociopath type. Kaval too.

Destro 2.0
10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, it's totally possible. Not probable, but possible.

Mysterio or Del Rio easily could.

Bourne, Garbriel, or Kaval, if they had a manager as a mouthpiece, easily could as well. All three are guys who can go in the ring, can go against someone of any size, and can make the opponent look great. They just need someone who could build them up. Bourne especially. Gabriel could work as a more quiet, sociopath type. Kaval too.

Actually I think Low Ki could be champ without a manager if he worked at his promo skills more. He has such a distinct voice.

The Pope
10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Actually I think Low Ki could be champ without a manager if he worked at his promo skills more. He has such a distinct voice.

He just needs to be a "mysterious" martial arts guy like in TNA.

Destro 2.0
10-01-2010, 06:39 PM
He just needs to be a "mysterious" martial arts guy like in TNA.

Yeah that could work

treyace
10-03-2010, 10:44 AM
WWE doesn't know what to do with a wrestler like low-ki
oh i mean "kaval"
smackdown and raw are going to continue to suck so whatever

BizarroKing
10-03-2010, 10:51 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpg

But sadly...
1st time they did that: Only done for Eddie and then he was jobbed out to the larger opponents
2nd time they did that: Lasted about 3 weeks...>.<

Triple Naitch
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Keep reading it as a manly high flyer.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:VIAKuWbUd0hOpM:http://www.lordofrings.gr/userfiles/image/WWE/SUPERSTARS/LEGENDS/Real_Mans_Man.jpg&t=1

Snowden
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
They can...but it can't really happen if the company has too many high flyers, especially in the WWE.

If you billed a high flyer as a top of the card guy, the attraction would be the novelty of his ring work, in part. Rey, for the most part, has been THE high flyer in the WWE over the balance of his career, which made him *pop* to the casual audience.

If there are 20 guys rocking a 450 splash, then they're just 20 midcarders who flip around and shit. But if one guy has that signature move (619, Air Bourne), then he has the ability to "stand out" from the crowd, which gives the guy a fighting chance to get over and break the glass ceiling.