PDA

View Full Version : Ted Turner getting back into Wrestling

Loose Cannon
04-22-2004, 04:11 PM
From the newsboard on here:

According to sources within the industry, Ted Turner is apparently considering a return to the wrestling business. As the story goes, when AOL merged with Time Warner, Ted Turner was losing power within the company and had to sign several documents relinquishing power. One of the documents that Turner signed was an agreement that he could not compete against AOL Time Warner in the wrestling business until March of 2005.

As we all know, Brad Siegel and Jamie Kellner virtually killed WCW in March 2001 by canceling its programs on TBS and TNT which lead to the sell of the company to Vince McMahon who gutted it.

There is another deal between AOL Time Warner and WWE that prevents competition with WWE between the two parties until March of 2006. Now of course to make this new idea work they will need a television deal. TNT has changed its image; however, TBS would be wide open for a wrestling program. To make things even better, Jamie Kellner is no longer in charge, who was the backbone in eliminating wrestling off of the network.

Strong rumors are filling the air that Ted Turner is already laying the ground work out for the new promotion by sending out feelers to recently departed WWE talents, Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg. This is a familiar setting, as it is the same thing Turner did with Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and others with WCW.

We will be covering this story very extensively. Stay tuned for the latest details.

Wow, it seems as if the wrestling business is starting to heat up again. First NWA TNA getting a TV deal and now this. Well, this could get interesting very soon.

Jonster
04-22-2004, 04:25 PM
<font color="#99CCFF">And hopefully the competition will get the WWE off their asses even more (despite getting slightly better recently)</font>

PureHatred
04-22-2004, 04:25 PM
This was originally reported on PWInsider.com by Dave Scherer so it at least has soe credibility. Turner has the money. I doubt if TBS would be interested; their big marketing kick these days is 'Sex in the City' repeats and Braves games.

I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Funky Fly
04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
The return to the big 3.

Gerard
04-22-2004, 04:36 PM
With a bit of luck this happens, what we need in wrestling is a choice, that in turn makes the companys try to make compelling tv to get our attention. So go for it turner i say.

El Santo
04-22-2004, 04:57 PM
There's also the chance that Turner could just financially back NWA-TNA.

tucsonspeed6
04-22-2004, 05:37 PM
There's also the chance that Turner could just financially back NWA-TNA.

Maybe....but if I were him, I'd want my own show and I'd start from scratch. He's got the money to put some serious hurt on Vince too. If you think about it, TNA chose a pretty safe timeslot: Sunday afternoons; but Turner...he'd be able to take Vince on Monday Night, Thursday Night...whatever he wanted. He'd get some damn good wrestlers too. Big names that could put asses into the seats: Austin, Goldberg, etc.

My only question is, would his wrestling show not start until 2005 like it says in the original post or is there some kind of loophole that he'd be able to bring it out later this year?

Rob
04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I'll believe it when I read about it in the Observer. (CyNick knows what I'm talking about).

Loose Cannon
04-22-2004, 05:48 PM
^^ *coughdirtsheetcough*

Rob
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
^^ *coughdirtsheetcough*

I call it that too. Someone gets a phone call from me every Thursday without fail with me asking if the dirtsheet came.

Marc the Smark
04-22-2004, 06:00 PM
My only question is, would his wrestling show not start until 2005 like it says in the original post or is there some kind of loophole that he'd be able to bring it out later this year?

If this is even true, and Turner were to start a new wrestling federation, he'd have to wait until March 2005. That's when his no-compete clause with AOL Time-Warner expires. But he could lay the foundation now if he wants to.

Also, Turner isn't worth as much as he was a few years ago. When Time-Warner's shares plummeted, so did Turner's wealth. But he's still a very rich man. Last I heard Vince was worth around $400-500 million. Not bad, but not were he was when the WWE was in its financial prime (1997-2001) and not as much as Turner.

Right now, almost anyone can give afford to give the WWE competition is okay with me. More jobs for the wrestlers, exposure, more angles and the needed competition.

Rock Bottom
04-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Hah, I bet if Turner does start something up, he is going to make some fat offers to Eric Bischoff and all the huge names WWE is stupidly letting run amok. Dejavu. If there is a second war, I'd like to see how both sides handle it this time.

tucsonspeed6
04-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Right now, almost anyone can give afford to give the WWE competition is okay with me. More jobs for the wrestlers, exposure, more angles and the needed competition.

Yeah, but TNA just seems like so much of a rinkidink opperation in comparison to the WWE. If the news about Turner is true, it's very exciting.

PureHatred
04-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Hah, I bet if Turner does start something up, he is going to make some fat offers to Eric Bischoff and all the huge names WWE is stupidly letting run amok. Dejavu. If there is a second war, I'd like to see how both sides handle it this time.

In Flair's interview where he talked about Foley, he said that if another company ever tried t compete with WWE, EB would be the first person to jump ship. Turner's strngth would be the fac tthat he would be able to spend pretty much whatever he wanted to based on his own money and the sponsors that would buy in to a Turner led projct. Hopefully he would also have some creative, knowledgeable staff so the fed isn't just a bunch of past their prime superstars.

A lineup of Goldberg, Austin, Nash, Hall, X-Pac, Hogan, DDP, Piper, etc might draw interest, but man would the matches suck.

Loose Cannon
04-22-2004, 06:35 PM
In Flair's interview where he talked about Foley, he said that if another company ever tried t compete with WWE, EB would be the first person to jump ship. Turner's strngth would be the fac tthat he would be able to spend pretty much whatever he wanted to based on his own money and the sponsors that would buy in to a Turner led projct. Hopefully he would also have some creative, knowledgeable staff so the fed isn't just a bunch of past their prime superstars.

A lineup of Goldberg, Austin, Nash, Hall, X-Pac, Hogan, DDP, Piper, etc might draw interest, but man would the matches suck.

Yeah a lineup like that would also kill the company. You don't want to make the same mistake twice and have Nash and Hogan running things again.

But that would be sweet if Bischoff jumped ship and went to work for Turner. Imagine him going on Turner's program and shooting down the WWE. Woah, that would be something.

MVP
04-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Seeing as how Austin can't wrestle because of his condition, and Goldberg can't wrestle period, I'd have to say that if rumors are true, then this new fed is going to bomb.

I think I'd rather watch an XPW match.

Fox
04-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I've actually heard that Austin is ready to get back into the ring, which is the reason for the possible Goldberg vs. Austin match in Japan.

I personally love this idea. If anyone has the dough to put together a good wrestling promotion it's Ted Turner, and he's got the balls to put his company head to head with Vince's WWE. If these plans come to fruition, then I'll be a very excited wrestling fan come 2005.

James Steele
04-22-2004, 11:53 PM
The Monday Night War II

and The Big Three II

BAH GAWD...

But the shock value of "who will jump ship" will be gone because of the internet...because we will know 3 months before it happens...DUH!

Shadow
04-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Just wait. We all get so excited about Turner bring back WCW and then we hear on the night its supposed to debut that Vince has already bout Turner out. It could happen you know. It could.

Marc the Smark
04-23-2004, 12:21 AM

My feelings are that Eric Bischoff would have no hesistation in returning to a Turner Wrestling Promotion from WWE, as long as the stipulations were right. Both Turner & Bischoff know that EB made WCW the #1 promotion for a time in the 90s, and probably nobody else in the wrestling business today (aside McMahon & possibly Heyman) could do that.

EazyMack
04-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Well I'm sure there's plenty of guys working for Vince right now that would love to jump ship... if there was another ship to jump to (and not just a little canoe like TNA or something :D).

That would be awesome if Teddy got back into the rasslin' business. Finally, we have options again.

MVP
04-23-2004, 02:37 AM
I think I'd rather watch an XPW match.That was a little harsh there guy.

TazroK
04-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Nash and Hall could come back THE OUTSIDERS!

Kane Knight
04-23-2004, 02:52 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

I hae to sound skeptical, but why get your hopes up needlessly?

Meanwhile, why the fu</>ck does X-Pac count as a draw? Do flies really affect buyrates?

Ted Turner throwing money at a wrestling promotion could mean augment the chances of ever seeing competition again. I'm still not getting hopes up of another Monday Night Wars or whatever, but I won't deny it's a nice thought.

Rock Bottom
04-23-2004, 02:58 AM
SUCK IT KANE KNIGHT!!!!!!!11

Kane Knight
04-23-2004, 02:59 AM
That's why he draws? People like gay midgets who pretend to be really, really, really ugly teenagers who like to rim Triple H?

PureHatred
04-23-2004, 03:03 AM
X-Pac doesn't count as a draw...I just threw him in that list of names because I knew if ted started a company he'd call Hogan, who would strap on his bandana and call Nash, who would agree as long as he was paid in cheeseburgers, and then he'd call Hall, who'd let the phone ring and ring 'cuz hes all hung over from last night at Yankee Doodle's but eventually he'd pick up and be all "hey yo" and that would mean he'd come along but only if he could bring 1-2-3 Kid and then thats X-Pac is there.

And oh yeah...if XPac shows up hes brining his woman so figure Chyna's on board too.

What are we waiting for, this company roxorz!!!!!111!

Evolution
04-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Sean O'Haire for champion, anyone?

Kane Knight
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
And oh yeah...if XPac shows up hes brining his <s>wo</s>man so figure Chyna's on board too.

Mr. JL
04-24-2004, 09:48 PM
That would be a really idiotic idea to sign Eric Bischoff.

He'd probally offer huge FAT money contracts to guys like Hogan/Nash/Austin/Goldberg and give them full creative control over the direction of thier characters. Well, you saw how that worked out the last time.

AND the wrestlers would not know what the **** they were doing until 5 minutes before they step threw the curtain.

Yes, EB did do a great job or turning the power and money in WCW's direction when he was in control but I have a feeling he would just recycle old ideas. In my opinion we need someone new who will take wrestling into a different world.

BUT that would kick some major ASS if Ted Turner created another wrestling organization! I'd freak out.

*freaks out just thinking of it*

diamondcutter
04-24-2004, 10:17 PM

He'd probally offer huge FAT money contracts to guys like Hogan/Nash/Austin/Goldberg and give them full creative control over the direction of thier characters. Well, you saw how that worked out the last time.

AND the wrestlers would not know what the **** they were doing until 5 minutes before they step threw the curtain.

Yes, EB did do a great job or turning the power and money in WCW's direction when he was in control but I have a feeling he would just recycle old ideas. In my opinion we need someone new who will take wrestling into a different world.

BUT that would kick some major ASS if Ted Turner created another wrestling organization! I'd freak out.

If this happens, there needs to be ONE person in control of everything, like WWE, as opposed to three to five people---which was the main reason WCW was so unorganized.

Kane Knight
04-24-2004, 10:22 PM

Well, Bisch would still be someone first looked to for this kind of position.

That's not to say he's the best choice, but consider the fact that he's known for his work...Especially with the whole "Monday Night Wars" deal.

Sorry if I'm being too painfully obvious.

They could do woorse than Eric, but you've got a point about his past problems. It doesn't mean he didn't learn from his mistakes, just that any learning came too late.

I'm speaking in abstracts because I can't really speak for Eric.

CBright7831
04-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Tell me, how many of you will watch this?

Goldbird
04-24-2004, 11:38 PM
WWE really needs some serious competition.

Kane Knight
04-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Tell me, how many of you will watch this?
It depends on the company that's created.

It would need some really strong points.

Point 1: It's not the WWE.

Point 2: Hopefully, there would be some star power.

Point 3: Television.

Point 4booking.

PureHatred
04-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Based on their previous relationship, and the fact the Eric Bischoff was in charge during WCW's absolutely most successful period, I am 100% certain hat if Turner gets back into wrestling, EB will be in charge.

Loose Cannon
04-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah, Bischoff is a very smart guy, well he comes off like that to me anyway. I don't see him making the same big mistakes twice that he might of made in WCW. So I would put Bischoff in charge if I were Turner. Just don't hire Nash or Hogan. If you do, just don't give them ANY creative control or anything like that.

The CyNick
04-25-2004, 01:46 AM
I would let Bischoff run the thing.

I'd tell him not to hand out sweetheart deals to guys like Hogan and co, but I believe he can run a successful wrestling promotion. There are few guys who have done it in the past, so just about anyone else would be a huge risk with no track record.

Mr. JL
04-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Like you guys said, I hope Eric Bischoff has learned from his mistakes and doesn't duplicate them.

CBright7831
04-25-2004, 02:41 AM
He would probably need some stars from TNA.

Rob
04-25-2004, 06:21 AM
I would let Bischoff run the thing.

I'd tell him not to hand out sweetheart deals to guys like Hogan and co, but I believe he can run a successful wrestling promotion. There are few guys who have done it in the past, so just about anyone else would be a huge risk with no track record.

I'd have Bischoff run it too. People forget quickly that he is the only man other than Vince McMahon who has actually ran a profitable company in the United States in the last 15 years.

Trust me, the guy has learnt from his mistakes. That certainly doesn't mean he won't make more mistakes but I'd bet he wouldn't be repeating mistakes.

Goldbird
04-25-2004, 09:19 AM
That certainly doesn't mean he won't make more mistakes but I'd bet he wouldn't be repeating mistakes.

Well, absolutely agreed.

Hired Hitman
04-25-2004, 09:32 AM
It will be good...

KillerWolf
04-25-2004, 03:25 PM
That's why he draws? People like gay midgets who pretend to be really, really, really ugly teenagers who like to rim Triple H?
:lol:

Oxstar
04-25-2004, 03:36 PM
competion rules!