PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers turned announcers

glanville6
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
There are obviously a ton of guys who made the transition. Foley, Tazz, JBL, Jerry Lawler... but the two guys I am thinking about right now are...

Matt Striker and Josh Matthews. I'm a big fan of Matthews announcing, and I like Striker as well. These two stick out to me because they didn't have successful wrestling careers. Striker really never did get to midcard status, and was lucky enough to wrestle at Wrestlemania, and Josh had one or two matches in WWE.

Do you think they should or could still be wrestling? And what do you think of their work behind the mic?

Xero
11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Striker and Matthews I think both suffered from size issues. Neither would have made it very far in WWE as wrestlers. Striker could have made it as a manager I think, but since WWE doesn't like managers that's moot.

They both are A LOT more successful than they would have been in the ring.

As for what I think of them, I think Striker is awesome but needs to learn to tone down some things. Some of his references are really out there, and I do like that. But he needs to ease more into announcing and not be so over the top. He has time to improve and, honestly, I could see him having a long career in the booth.

Can't say much about Matthews. I don't hate him but he just feels like he's "just there". He's pretty generic and doesn't stand out too much. That isn't a bad thing really, but I think he'll be replaced long before Striker will be.

glanville6
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Striker and Matthews I think both suffered from size issues. Neither would have made it very far in WWE as wrestlers. Striker could have made it as a manager I think, but since WWE doesn't like managers that's moot.

They both are A LOT more successful than they would have been in the ring.

As for what I think of them, I think Striker is awesome but needs to learn to tone down some things. Some of his references are really out there, and I do like that. But he needs to ease more into announcing and not be so over the top. He has time to improve and, honestly, I could see him having a long career in the booth.

Can't say much about Matthews. I don't hate him but he just feels like he's "just there". He's pretty generic and doesn't stand out too much. That isn't a bad thing really, but I think he'll be replaced long before Striker will be.

I agree that they never would have made it far as wrestlers. I just think its gotta suck doing something you didn't get into wrestling for.

I think that Cole and Matthews have the best chemistry of any team right now.

jskinnyg
11-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I guess that it is better than doing something you hate... At least they are staying close to the sport that they love... I wonder if either does any independent matches...

thedamndest
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, must be tough having a job on-air for the largest professional wrestling company in the world. Poor them.

Rammsteinmad
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Striker is awesome. I love how he sometimes talks nonsense where everyone else is like WTF? Like that tag match on Smackdown a few weeks ago, Big Show tagged himself in and Striker was like 'Avengers Assemble!' :lol:

But seriously, I do like him though.

glanville6
11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, must be tough having a job on-air for the largest professional wrestling company in the world. Poor them.

I knew someone would say that, and I thought this while writing this thread.
They are lucky to be where they are, but they still have to somewhat feel upset they aren't there for what they intended to do.

The Pope
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I like how Josh Matthews just fucks around with Michael Cole on NXT

The Naitch
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
If size was an issue with me, I wouldn't mind being a manager or announcer.

I'm more into getting a character out than actually being a wrestler, if I had the opportunity to be in the business

MoFo
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I like how Josh Matthews just fucks around with Michael Cole on NXT

Hes about 739028369 times better than Striker as well.

thedamndest
11-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I knew someone would say that, and I thought this while writing this thread.
They are lucky to be where they are, but they still have to somewhat feel upset they aren't there for what they intended to do.

They really don't.

DLVH84
11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Raymond Rougeau

Seth82
11-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura

both were once wrestlers

Michael Hayes did commentary as Dok Hendrix

DLVH84
11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Michael Hayes did commentary as Dok Hendrix

He also did commentary as Michael Hayes for Jakked.

Also, Lord Alfred Hayes, Nick Bockwinkel, Magnum T.A., and Bruno Sammartino.

Seth82
11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Lord James Blears - fmr wrestler turned commentator in AWA

Cowboy Bill Watts did commentary for his promotion Mid-South Wrestling

Johnny Weaver did commentary for the old Mid-Atlantic territory

Rick Rude briefly did commentary with Joey Styles in ECW

DLVH84
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Kazuo Yamazaki does commentary for NJPW

Stevie Ray did commentary for WCW and WWA

Stan Lane did commentary for WWF and WXO

Ted DiBiase did commentary for WWF

Raven did commentary for WWF (1993-1994)

Dutch Mantel did commentary for SMW

Seth82
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Roddy Piper did commentary for Georgia Championship Wrestling and the WWF

Buddy Colt did commentary for Championship Wrestling from Florida

Frank Dusek did commentary for USWA Texas briefly

Les Thatcher did commentary for Southeastern Championship Wrestling/Smoky Mountain Wrestling

The Naitch
11-10-2010, 12:27 AM
wow you sure did your homework there, son

Vastardikai
11-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Bobby Heenan was also a former wrestler.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-10-2010, 01:00 AM
LOL at DLVH84 and Seth82 being so busy trying to sound smart that they didn't even bother reading the thread.

Aguakate
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Alot of wrestlers have been turned into announcers throughout time...like Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Randy Savage, Jerry Lawler, Taz, Josh Matthews, Matt Striker, Mick Foley, Larry Zbysko, Gorilla Monsoon.

It just a natural thing for some, I guess.

The Pope
11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I always like the heel-ish gimmick that Striker had. Josh Mathews wasn't really a wrestler apart from being on Tough Enough. Striker could still be going as far wrestling ability goes, but he's pretty small so I doubt he'd be taken seriously.