PDA

View Full Version : Local Multiplayer vs. Online Multiplayer

LuigiD
11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
So I recently hooked up the SNES and I have been playing all the classics for multiplayer. The other day I was playing Goldeneye for Wii with some friends and then hours later I tried to keep playing online and it was not nearly as fun.
So which one do you prefer? local or online? I always get super excited about online features but rarely use them(unless they help to provide additional content like SVR 2011.)
When it comes to multiplayer, I just need the social interaction. I have played several games for the Xbox before with voice chat, friends over voice chat, etc and it is just not as fun.

Fignuts
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
We've had this thread before, and it is pretty much unanimous in favor of local.

LoDownM
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
What Fignuts said. I'd much rather play with 6 people I know in a lan setting then 11 other strangers on live/psn.

Emperor Smeat
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Local.

Closest online can get to the fun of local multiplayer would be if your able to play on the same map or game with all your friends and family. Basically Party Mode on the Xbox 360.

Razzamajazz
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
i like to actually punch someone if i get pissed off at them killing me

Kalyx triaD
11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Local/LAN. In fact things about online gameplay pisses me off lately. The gamers (who aren't your buds), lag, connection issues, blah blah.

Jeritron
11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Local always will be the best for anything, not just video games. Online is far more detatched and ultimately not as fun and exciting.

I feel like local multiplayer is sort of an improved single player experience. You're playing/competing with other people, yes, but ultimately you are spending time alone playing video games.
Which is sort of how I approach video game time anyways. I find myself playing campaigns more than multiplayer. I play multiplayer with actual friends.
Often times, my friends and me will all play a game together in person, while also playing with randoms online. And we can pass the headset and kid around. Best of both worlds I guess.
You can never beat the real deal. Unless the person hates actual social interaction, which is of course a driving trend in today's world/technology.

Jeritron
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I think Wii is a perfect example of a video game system that is infinitely better in a social setting.
When you're alone, PS3 and 360 are almost undoubtedly better, but with a group of friends Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Smash Bros are as fun as ever.

Kalyx triaD
11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Also pissed that splitscreen/system link is something companies don't give a shit about anymore. Not so much as splitscreen campaign in Transformers WfC. Were they so sure everybody would be online? I hate that these options are glossed over when they could really extend a game's life.

Kalyx triaD
11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I think Wii is a perfect example of a video game system that is infinitely better in a social setting.
When you're alone, PS3 and 360 are almost undoubtedly better, but with a group of friends Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Smash Bros are as fun as ever.

4plyr Smash is one of those gaming experiences you have to have before you call yourself a gamer.

Jeritron
11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Smash Bros is a beautiful creation. Such a great series of games. Not only is the concept just amazing, but so is the style. So much different than a regular fighter, and something everyone can enjoy.
A lot of people are alienated by fighting games because of how varying people's skill levels are.

I know I'm preaching to the choir about Smash Bros, but I had to profess my love for it. I hope for Mega Man and Earthworm Jim in the next one.

LuigiD
11-11-2010, 12:02 AM
First time I played Smash Bros was a few weeks after it came out at a party. Watching people play looked so out of control. When I sat down to play, it felt so perfect and great that I went out and got it the next day.

El Fangel
11-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Unless you have a full team of friends playing with you, always local

1) Its your friends
2) Its social
3) No one cheats or uses cheap tactics

Fignuts
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
lol what? cheating and using cheap tactics happens even more in local.

I remember whenever we played wario stadium on mario kart 64, our goal was to get the lightning bolt and shrink people before the big jump. Mad cheap.

The Jayman
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I have always preferred local. The main issue I have with online is the constant shit talking by these little kids. Back in the N64 days, me and my frinds would talk shit to each other but it was "good fun" talk. We would rip on each other then laugh then play again. It seems no matter whether you win or lose online there is going to be a ton of backlash.