PDA

View Full Version : RIP Hell In A Cell?

MoFo
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
According to Dave Meltzer, word going around is that the creative team was told to come up with a new idea for a "gimmicked" cage. It's believed that WWE feels the Hell in a Cell match has run its course and that a new type of match is needed to draw better PPV buyrates.

Source: NoDQ.com

Xero
12-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Well that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't DESTROYED THE FUCKING GIMMICK in the first place.

Even in a PG enviornment, it has its place. But not after shows with 2-3 Cell matches and shit like Vince, Show and Shane vs DX. They just killed what was the Attitude Era's steel cage. The feud ender. The match you go to when there's nothing left. Instead it's shoehorned into the middle of a feud, or even the first match of a feud now.

Juan
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
NoDQ is a reputable source.

Cool King
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I was just thinking that myself.

thedamndest
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the American Hell in a Cell has run it's course...

Loose Cannon
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
yea, the German version is much better

Anybody Thrilla
12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
You better not be talking about the Punjabi Prison.

VSG
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Kennel from Hell is the clear solution.

Fox
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe they should shape the cell like a giant dome with a big circular opening at the top, and the winner is the first guy to crawl out...

Nah, that's fucking stupid.

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Maybe they should shape the cell like a giant dome with a big circular opening at the top, and the winner is the first guy to crawl out...

Hey, they're one modification to the Chamber away from that being a reality.

Also, Triple Tier Cage.

VSG
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Obligatory War games comment.

Anybody Thrilla
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Fuck, they SHOULD just do War Games. Why not?

James Steele
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
They could just use the Elimination Chamber for a 1-on-1 match and fill the pods with weapons and such.

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM

They probably will eventually.

Honestly, and I've been saying this for a long time, they'll probably do it in the Chamber with a 3 on 3 gimmick. The pods house the teammates, who get released in a specific (not random) order.

Anybody Thrilla
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
They could just use the Elimination Chamber for a 1-on-1 match and fill the pods with weapons and such.

That's actually an interesting concept. Would you still have the pods randomly open at certain intervals?

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
You take the Hell in a Cell, and close the bottom off. The match starts when, after the participants enter, the cage is raised as high as it can go. Every five minutes, the cage rotates in a random direction, making everyone roll around like a bunch of boggle blocks.

The match cannot be won until a certain side of the Cell is on the bottom. At this point, the cage will no longer roll and the match is won by pinfall or submission only.

I call it Rubik's Cell.

Dorkchop
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
an even larger hell in a cell that traps the fans in!

Or a really tall one that hits the ceiling with no roof or door.

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Since it's a more simple era, I would gladly welcome a version of the big blue bar cage with a roof. Would look good with their current sets because it's a pretty streamlined design, too.

I'd love to see that return in general, honestly.

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh I know! "The Case".

It's basically a giant box made out of 3 foot thick bullet proof glass. And closed off completely.

First one not to suffocate wins.

Mr. Nerfect
12-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree that they killed off Hell in a Cell with their booking. There is no way it should have been made a PPV concept. It was always designed for two guys who absolutely HATED each other. Given time, feuds like Triple H vs. Sheamus could have grown to be worthy of it. Now you have Randy Orton and Sheamus in it, just because.

War Games would be the perfect match for Nexus to participate in. Get a bunch of guys who absolutely hates them. Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, Michael McGillicutty & Husky Harris (because David Otunga is just not ready) vs. John Cena, Randy Orton, R-Truth, Daniel Bryan and someone else that hates Nexus. I would say Darren Young, but he's pretty much lost all relevance, although I'd like to see him try and get into the match, only for the other guys not to trust him.

James Steele
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
That's actually an interesting concept. Would you still have the pods randomly open at certain intervals?

Yes, or you could even do an Ironman concept inside the Chamber and if you get a fall and pick which pod you want opened.

Xero
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
IRON POD

James Steele
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I always think WWE missed the boat on doing an Ironman in the HIAC. It would have made the HBK/HHH more interesting.

DLVH84
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
How about the old Tower Of Doom match from the old WCCW and NWA JCP days?

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes, or you could even do an Ironman concept inside the Chamber and if you get a fall and pick which pod you want opened.

Elimination Chamber lumberjack match!

Xero
12-02-2010, 08:06 AM
How about the old Tower Of Doom match from the old WCCW and NWA JCP days?

NWA JC Penny's?

Triple Naitch
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM
You take the Hell in a Cell, and close the bottom off. The match starts when, after the participants enter, the cage is raised as high as it can go. Every five minutes, the cage rotates in a random direction, making everyone roll around like a bunch of boggle blocks.

The match cannot be won until a certain side of the Cell is on the bottom. At this point, the cage will no longer roll and the match is won by pinfall or submission only.

I call it Rubik's Cell.

Sounds like a game from Mario Party.

daimoniac
12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
heres one, how about we have a hell in the cell cage with a hole cut in the roof and a switch on the inside somewhere. halfway through the match an "electric chair" in a smaller cage with an open front comes down from the ceiling through the hole. the object would be to get your opponent (or one of your opponents if it happens to be say a 4 on 4 match) into the chair and flip the switch setting off a mini pyro and light effect. the guy in the chair would then first sell being electrocuted and then being zombified...

/jim herd

whiteyford
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Vince supposedly hates it because it wasnt created in house. They own the rights to it, all the footage to build it up and Triple H is supposed to be a fan of the gimmick so i can see it being brought out eventually. But if they replace the HIAC with wargames or another cage match it'll end up the same if they build a PPV around that, be as well retiring the Cell for a couple of years and bringing it back as a one off match again.

Seth82
12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
NWA JC Penny's?

shoot me for knowing this...

JCP are the initials for Jim Crockett Promotions

the precursor to WCW

Loose Cannon
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
how about the PODS have water in them and then when they open some water comes out. Until eventually all PODS are opened and you have a War....ter Games match (FUCKING ROFLLLLLLLLLLLL)

sound good?

Fox
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Simply put, there never should have been gimmick match PPV's because it runs the risk of overexposing and killing off all of your gimmick matches to the point where the fans don't really care anymore. There was a time when there was maybe one gimmick match per year in the WWE (not counting the Rumble). I think that right now there are enough really solid ACTUAL wrestlers on the roster to let them go out to the ring and have good matches instead of go out and have ladder/table/cage spotfests.

XL
12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
What options do they really have to create a "new" cage match?

I'd be concerned with War Games being used as we'd just end up with yet another team match (7v7 at SummerSlam and Bragging Rights and a 5v5 as Survivor Series was overkill this year).

Like the Chamber, War Games should only be brought out when necessary i.e. when there are 2 strong stables not just two teams of 5 thrown together for the night.

TazFTW86
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM

:rofl:

DrA
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Just have this tall ass cage like in the game Wrestlemania 2000.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Just have this tall ass cage like in the game Wrestlemania 2000.

that's what the new (last two years) hell in the cell is

SaskatchewanChamp
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Fuck, I don't get why people do not understand that wrestling is in the same condition as boxing, if not worse. No one is willing to spend 50 bucks a month on crap. Until they limit their PPV's to maybe 1 every 2 or 3 months, the buys will never get better. The storylines are shit, and with the time they could have to develop them, using my idea, they could actually develop something that will hold the general public's attention. It's business 101.

Londoner
12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Funny how Vince can't see his own fucking decision making is the cause of this. He'll continue to repeat the same mistake over and over and over. What a genius.

parkmania
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Go back to the brand-specific PPVs. With there being 13 events each year, that means Raw would get the HIAC PPV one year, Smackdown the next. You still bring both brands together for the Big 4 (or if you want, make it a big 6 by adding Night of Champions and Bragging Rights).

Xero
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
The brand-exclusive PPVs don't do nearly as well as the combined ones. They'll never go back to that, especially with how PPVs are selling today.

Londoner
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Did not like the brand specific ppv idea at all. Was so happy when they dropped them altogether.

Xero
12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Their problem, as has been discussed MANY times, is the writing. If they want to fix this, they need to get that shit in order so people actually WANT to buy the PPV. Set out long-term plans instead of "we have Hell in a Cell next month, let's put random matches in the cell".

But in addition to the writing, with USA wanting so many 3 hour specials, they're to the point where the PPVs don't mean nearly as much as they used to. TV is where everything happens now. You could have skipped Survivor Series, seen a rematch of the main event the next night AND saw a title change. Now what sounds better: Paying $45 for a PPV that meant literally nothing or paying nothing and getting a rematch of the biggest built match PLUS a world title change?

Since USA is probably going to keep requesting MORE specials and not stopping them, I think the best way to do things is to drop half the PPVs. Six PPVs, and on off months they do the 3 hour specials. It would make the PPVs mean more and I think if they lessen the amount of PPVs, even with the same price point, they'd start making more money off them.

St. Jimmy
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
CZW CAGE OF DEATH!!!1!1!!!

Schlomey
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I have been personally unhappy with every Hell In A Cell match since the gimmick PPV was made last year. A true shell of what was once my favorite match type ever.

whiteyford
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Their problem, as has been discussed MANY times, is the writing. If they want to fix this, they need to get that shit in order so people actually WANT to buy the PPV. Set out long-term plans instead of "we have Hell in a Cell next month, let's put random matches in the cell".

But in addition to the writing, with USA wanting so many 3 hour specials, they're to the point where the PPVs don't mean nearly as much as they used to. TV is where everything happens now. You could have skipped Survivor Series, seen a rematch of the main event the next night AND saw a title change. Now what sounds better: Paying $45 for a PPV that meant literally nothing or paying nothing and getting a rematch of the biggest built match PLUS a world title change?

Since USA is probably going to keep requesting MORE specials and not stopping them, I think the best way to do things is to drop half the PPVs. Six PPVs, and on off months they do the 3 hour specials. It would make the PPVs mean more and I think if they lessen the amount of PPVs, even with the same price point, they'd start making more money off them.

Even the shitty PPVs turn a profit though. I agree less PPVS and a longer build between them could only help the product and eventually lead to more buys, but as long as the existing ones are profitable why would Vince change it.

Xero
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Even the shitty PPVs turn a profit though. I agree less PPVS and a longer build between them could only help the product and eventually lead to more buys, but as long as the existing ones are profitable why would Vince change it.

They'd have to take the loss and look to the future. And the numbers are getting REALLY down, in the 120k range. At that point, can't be making THAT big of a profit because I think they only get like $7 per PPV or something. Probably really off with that but I'm pretty sure they get less than 50%.

Another option would be to keep 12 (13 PPVs is stupid, especially when it forces a two week build for a PPV) but lower the the lower tier ones to like $30-$35 like the old In Your Houses were.

XL
12-02-2010, 06:32 PM
The price point you guys is ridiculous. Especially when they cram 3 PPVs in the space of 6/7 weeks.

Next Big Thing
12-02-2010, 09:01 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the new "cage" resembled the UFC Octagon in some way.

Cool King
12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqbHwNK7Fu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqbHwNK7Fu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqZJVfd8Ilo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqZJVfd8Ilo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jFYUoRLj4k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jFYUoRLj4k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnGNo0Q61_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnGNo0Q61_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Droford
12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Heaven in a Cell

not in WWE-PG though

Xero
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't remember Vince vs Shamrock at all.

Fox
12-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I think they're going to come out with an Elimination Chamber style cage with rope swings, monkey bars, slides and a ball pit.

The Naitch
12-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Piranha match

Kane Knight
12-03-2010, 01:39 AM
I can easily see it happening due to WWE PG, but fuck NODQ.