http://abcnews.go.com/sections/US/Sports/tillman_afghanistan040423-1.html

The Icon of Elisim
04-24-2004, 01:49 AM
I have a lot of respect for what he did, he sounded like a real class act

RIP

DaveWadding
04-24-2004, 02:07 AM
I am with you guys...

if i weren't totally poor right now, I would order my Tillman tribute (a Cards jersey Tillman, #40), but its gotta wait until i have money :-\

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Yea I might have to pick one of those up

Just watched an interview they had with him on ESPN a while back...He & I have like the same feelings about the flag of the United States making even more of the man

I was always a fan of him even before all of this all went down. He was a tough hard hitting safety and I really respected his playing ability. It is too bad what happened to him

Shawn
04-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I couldnt agree more. I literally shed a few tears when i heard about this on the talk radio. If theres a true measurement of a man. He was it. Gives up a 3 million dollar contract to play the greatest sport in this country so he can go to a country full of sand and mountains and try to help them run there country. If there is gunna be a Pat Tillman tribute jersey i'm getting it. Finally someone's jersey that you can wear and be proud of not because you root for the team but because you root for the man. I only hope when i have kids that i can raise them to be like this guy. I'll be a lucky father if i can. Thank you Pat Tillman.

Dazz
04-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah I heard about this last night, but off a mate who plays American football, I was going to make a topic but I didn't know who the guy even was before last night so I thought I'd leave it up to someone else. I Couldn't see any English footballer do what he did, what a guy. RIP Pat Tillman.

Sensei Of Mattitude
04-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Pat Tillman is a great American and above all else.... a great MAN. He sat around and wondered what he was doing for the country (in 2001) and he thought nothing. So him and his brother hung up their spikes and joined the military to protect us and free others.

Who couldn't feel the upmost RESPECT for what Pat and Kevin Tillman have done and what Kevin and all of the other "non famous" Soldiers are continuing to do for us. Its a damn shame someone like Pat Tillman has lost his life, but he was living it the way he wanted to.

Pat Tillman is a hero, along with all of the other Soldiers who have lost their lives defending this beautiful country of ours.

The Arizona Cardinals are retiring Tillman's #40 jersey. That is all well and good, but I believe that the entire league should retire #40, just like Baseball did for Jackie Robinson. In my book, its only fitting.

God Bless Pat Tillman, for he deserves all of the respect in the world.

You will not be forgotten.

Never.

YOUR Hero
04-24-2004, 01:54 PM
He deserves only as much tribute to giving his life, as any other service man does.

I understand that because he was a pro athlete, he gets mentioned. However all the others that have died haven’t even been mentioned. That's not right.

Remember to remember ALL who die, not just one man.

May they all rest in peace.

asphyXy
04-24-2004, 01:58 PM
<font color=969696>He played football. We should make a topic for everyone who dies in Afghanistan.</font>

TheJShow
04-24-2004, 02:04 PM
R.I.P.

The Outlaw
04-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah I remember after he enlisted he refused to do any kind of interviews because he said by him doing that it would make him look bigger than the Garbage man or the 19 year old or any other regular person that is going to war and he said that he was just like any of those other guys

Class act

Shawn
04-24-2004, 04:32 PM
He deserves only as much tribute to giving his life, as any other service man does.

I understand that because he was a pro athlete, he gets mentioned. However all the others that have died haven’t even been mentioned. That's not right.

Remember to remember ALL who die, not just one man.

May they all rest in peace.

I get this. Your right. But its noteworthy to mention the guy gave up Millions to go fight this war.

YOUR Hero
04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm simply providing perspective.

Also, he had already made millions. So he was 'only' giving up more millions... you know what I mean? I'm not trying to demean anything, but had he not already made a lot of money perhaps his decision would have been different. Just more perspective.

Shawn
04-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Nah no argument here.. there all heros..Actually i dont think he made millions though. He was a 7th round pick in 98 i believe. Probably made the league minimum.

The Outlaw
04-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Just the fact that he could have been paid a great amount of money for a "job" that is football, if you want to call it a job, but he gave it up because he wanted to turn that down and go fight in a war

I dunno I just think thats saying a lot

Evil Vito
04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
<font color=goldenrod>R.I.P Pat Tillman</font>

DaveWadding
04-24-2004, 09:14 PM
I believe that the entire league should retire #40, just like Baseball did for Jackie Robinson. In my book, its only fitting.

As much as I respect Pat Tillman, you HAVE TO BE FU</>CKING KIDDING ME.

road doggy dogg
04-24-2004, 09:19 PM
RIP :(

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I figured somebody would post something about how all people should be mentioned but unfortunately that is impossible. I dunno, being a fan of him for a while made me have a closer "connection" with him I guess. I mean I know I REALLY didn't know him any better then any other soliders over there but being a fan of his for a while kinda makes you feel like you did know him.

Still though, I give much respect to any soliders over there and any soliders serving their countries

El Capitano Gatisto
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I get this. Your right. But its noteworthy to mention the guy gave up Millions to go fight this war.

Every soldier gives up his ordinary life, and a life with his family. Money isn't everything.

What he did was no different to what any soldier does, and that is the reality of the issue. It is insulting to suggest this guy is more noteworthy than the soldier who gives up his life with his wife and two kids to fight for his country, and as if that isn't worth as much as a million dollar contract to play sport.

The Outlaw
04-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Every soldier gives up his ordinary life, and a life with his family. Money isn't everything.

What he did was no different to what any soldier does, and that is the reality of the issue. It is insulting to suggest this guy is more noteworthy than the soldier who gives up his life with his wife and two kids to fight for his country, and as if that isn't worth as much as a million dollar contract to play sport.

WHich is exactly what Tillman believed

He believed he was no better than anyone, which is what I stated in my first post

El Capitano Gatisto
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
WHich is exactly what Tillman believed

He believed he was no better than anyone, which is what I stated in my first post

I'm not questioning his attitude, I'm questioning yours, and anyone else who thinks he gave up more than any other soldier because of money, or because he was playing a sport, or because he was famous. If he didn't want to be thought of any higher than his colleagues, then perhaps people should respect that.

The whole war in Afghanistan is a tragedy, for the US soldiers being killed to the civilians caught in the crossfire, to the Afghans dying as they fight for control of their country.

The Outlaw
04-24-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm not questioning his attitude, I'm questioning yours, and anyone else who thinks he gave up more than any other soldier because of money, or because he was playing a sport, or because he was famous. If he didn't want to be thought of any higher than his colleagues, then perhaps people should respect that.

The whole war in Afghanistan is a tragedy, for the US soldiers being killed to the civilians caught in the crossfire, to the Afghans dying as they fight for control of their country.

Oh no

DOnt get me wrong, I agree with what you just said.

I was just pointing out what Tillman expressed is all

Sensei Of Mattitude
09-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Pat Tillman is a great American and above all else.... a great MAN. He sat around and wondered what he was doing for the country (in 2001) and he thought nothing. So him and his brother hung up their spikes and joined the military to protect us and free others.

Who couldn't feel the upmost RESPECT for what Pat and Kevin Tillman have done and what Kevin and all of the other "non famous" Soldiers are continuing to do for us. Its a damn shame someone like Pat Tillman has lost his life, but he was living it the way he wanted to.

Pat Tillman is a hero, along with all of the other Soldiers who have lost their lives defending this beautiful country of ours.

The Arizona Cardinals are retiring Tillman's #40 jersey. That is all well and good, but I believe that the entire league should retire #40, just like Baseball did for Jackie Robinson. In my book, its only fitting.

God Bless Pat Tillman, for he deserves all of the respect in the world.

You will not be forgotten.

Never.

9/19/04: PAT TILLMAN DAY IN THE NFL

God Bless You, Pat.

YOUR Hero
09-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Wow, a year already?