PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach disc read errors?

Purgatory
12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Anyone else have/had issues like this? I put the game in and instead of loading, it says "Open tray" or "Play DVD", then does nothing. It's the only game I have that does this, every other one works fine. Gamestop mentioned that it might be because it's the older 360 design (new in '98), not an Elite or the new sleek Black one. They said it's because they crammed so much into the game that only the newer XBox's will run it. I call bullshit because I know others who have the older ones and play the game religiously.

They also were all "Your system might be shitting the bed." This is the only game I get this error with, every other game and DVD runs fine. Pisses me off.

LoDownM
12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
It might be that. Try some canned air into the drive. And try installing the game to the HD.

They said it's because they crammed so much into the game that only the newer XBox's will run it.Is Bullshit. My 360 is from 07 and plays Reach fine.

Purgatory
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Update: Took it back to Gamestop and was able to get a replacement (used disc, but ok). My 360 reads it fine, but I haven't gotten a full test yet. Just got home and amd eating dinner. I'll prolly play it more tomorrow.

Thanks, man. :)

G
12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
They said it's because they crammed so much into the game that only the newer XBox's will run it.

LOL

Purgatory
12-31-2010, 03:51 PM
yeah, I pretty much laughed when he said that. I asked him if he was sure he knew what he was talking about. He didn't answer right away, and then stumbled a bit over his words when he tried to explain. I just laughed and said I was bringing it in for a replacement.

Anyways, I played it for about an hour last night. overall a decent game, not that much different than ODST graphically. I am impressed with Forge, though. Alot of possibility.

I haven't even played online yet, though.

LoDownM
01-01-2011, 04:13 PM
They were probably trying to get you to buy a 360S and came up with some stupid selling point.

Kane Knight
01-02-2011, 01:52 AM
They also were all "Your system might be shitting the bed." This is the only game I get this error with, every other game and DVD runs fine. Pisses me off.

Disc Read Errors usually start with one title or disc type. This is completely common for any type of optical drive, and was well-documented for the PS2.

My 360 started DREing only on one title (N3) and stayed that way for a month or so before the problem got more severe. Just as an example.

Purgatory
01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
It's all good, though. The replacement disc they gave me works perfectly. The copy I returned to them wouldn't work on their demo system, or the one the manager had in his office.

I do plan on buying the new one at some point, I just didn't want to have to be rushed into buying one now. If my system RROD's, I'll just send it in for repair and/or replacement again.