PDA

View Full Version : Best WCW Matches of All-Time?

Fox
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Lots to choose from. I know a lot of the posters here probably weren't watching back in the late 90's (hard to believe it was over 10 years ago... am I really getting OLD?), but for those who were and/or those who have seen WCW matches, what's it gonna be?

Let's go for as few repeats as possible, too, please. Agreements are fine, but if you're just going to agree to a match at least add a new one as well.

Gonna go ahead and start off with the most obvious:

Chris Benoit vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart - Owen Hart Memorial Tribute Match - Nitro 1999

CSL
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Goldberg/Steiner - Fall Brawl
Jung Dragons/3 Count/Evan Karagias & ... (pretty sure it was Jamie Noble) - Ladder match - Starrcade
A million cruiserweight matches
Sting/Cactus Jack - Beach Blast
Quite a few WarGames matches

Ruien
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Stop living in the past!

ooTin
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Stop living in the past!

This is a post trying to remember the good times of WCW not live in them.

DLVH84
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Here's a list of classic 2 out of 3 falls matches in WCW...

6/12/91, Clash Of The Champions - Ric Flair vs. Bobby Eaton
5/9/92, Saturday Night - Steve Austin vs. Barry Windham
5/30/92, Saturday Night - Brad Armstrong vs. The Great Muta
6/16/93, Clash Of The Champions - Ric Flair and Arn Anderson vs. Hollywood Blonds
12/27/93, Starrcade - Dustin Rhodes vs. Steve Austin

Wolfpack423
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Goldberg/Steiner - Fall Brawl
Jung Dragons/3 Count/Evan Karagias & ... (pretty sure it was Jamie Noble) - Ladder match - Starrcade
A million cruiserweight matches
Sting/Cactus Jack - Beach Blast
Quite a few WarGames matches

I liked the WarGames in 1996. it was right after the nWo had gotten together and everyone in WCW thought Sting had betrayed them because of the imposter Sting plus the match was good. I always liked Luger crawling begging for Sting shouting Stinger.

SaskatchewanChamp
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Judy Bagwell on a pole match [\thread]

Fox
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Raven vs. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chris Benoit - United States Championship Raven's Rules Match - Uncensored 1998

Rammsteinmad
01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't say the greatest of all time, but Spring Stampede 1999 actually had some awesome, underrated matches on it.

Rey Mysterio VS Billy Kidman, Raven/Saturn VS Benoit/Malenko, Scott Steiner VS Booker T, Juventud Guerrera VS Bllitzkrieg, and the Fatal 4 Way main event, which wasn't that good, but had DDP's first title win.

Rammsteinmad
01-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Stop living in the past!

:foc:

Aguakate
01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Maybe I've had too much going on in my life, or for the past 10 years, for that matter...but I can't remember, off the top of my head, a single WCW match that I can put in here. I would have to go back and look up some.

whiteyford
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Vader - Cactus Jack produced a few, sure DLVH84 could give you the dates, think one was a beach blast event.

Ultra Mantis
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Goldberg vs Raven for US Title on Nitro.
Jericho vs Raven at Halloween Havoc.

There was also a series of matches between Benoit & Malenko, Mysterio & Kidman and Raven & Saturn over the tag titles which were all brilliant.

DLVH84
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I loved the WarGames Match in 1992.

That match was so intense and bloody. And also all the feuds within all ten wrestlers in that match made this amazing, from beginning to end.

I also liked some of Dean Malenko's first defenses of the Cruiserweight title against Brad Armstrong and Rey Mysterio.

Jordan
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Off the top of my head I have compiled three matches that stick out to me as the best of WCW. They are not often talked about however I remember them as the best so here they are. They are totally different styles of wrestling as well.

Greed - DDP/Scott Steiner WCW World Title

Shockingly awesome non stop match that was very bloody and very well done. Probably the best match I can remember from the last year of WCW. It's a shame because that whole PPV was filled with great action and gave me promise of a different WCW for the future.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYSik5N5OQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYSik5N5OQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Monday Nitro 8.7.96 - Rey Mysterio Jr vs Dean Malenko

This match exposed the Cruiserweight division to me as one of the most amazing things in wrestling, and my favorite part of WCW.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x72ga2?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x72ga2?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72ga2_rey-mysterio-vs-dean-malenko-8-7-96_sport">Rey Mysterio vs Dean Malenko 8.7.96</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Filthy_Animals">Filthy_Animals</a>. - <a target="_self" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Check out more sports and extreme sports videos.</a></i>

WCW Halloween Havoc 89 - Lex Luger vs Brian Pillman
Just watch this match, it's fucking great.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kayu3-Ek74Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kayu3-Ek74Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Shisen Kopf
01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Vince McMahon had my mind erased so now I have no idea who this Chris Benoit is. Best match ever was fingerpoke of doom

DLVH84
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Vader - Cactus Jack produced a few, sure DLVH84 could give you the dates, think one was a beach blast event.

No, I believe it was Halloween Havoc, 10/24/93.

loopydate
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Ricky Steamboat vs. Steve Austin from Bash At The Beach '94

SuperSlim
01-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm surprised.

Nobody has mentioned...

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. from Halloween Havoc.

The Show Off
01-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Here are my 20 favorite WCW Matches of all time...

1. Rick Rude v. Ricky Steamboat (Thirty Minute Iron Man Match, WCW Beach Blast 1992)

2. Flyin’ Brian, The Steiner Brothers, & Sting v. The Four Horsemen & Larry Zbyszko (War Games Match, WCW WrestleWar 1991)

3. Ric Flair [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, WCW Spring Stampede 1994)

4. Big Van Vader v. Sting (King of Cable Tournament Final, WCW Starrcade 1992 – “BattleBowl/The Lethal Lottery”)

5. The Hollywood Blondes [c] v. Dos Hombres (Cage Match for the NWA/WCW Unified World Tag Team Championship, WCW Slamboree 1993 – “A Legends Reunion”)

6. Arn Anderson v. Ric Flair (WCW Fall Brawl 1995)

7. The Steiner Brothers [c] v. Steve Williams & Terry Gordy (for the WCW World Tag Team Championship, WCW Beach Blast 1992)

8. Steve Austin [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW United States Championship, WCW Clash of the Champions XXVIII)

9. Steve Austin [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship, WCW Bash at the Beach 1994)

10. Dean Malenko [c] v. Rey Misterio Jr. (for the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship, WCW Great American Bash 1996)

11. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes [c] v. Steve Austin & Steve Williams (for the NWA/WCW Unified World Tag Team Championship, WCW Halloween Havoc 1992 – “Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal”)

12. Rick Rude [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW Unisted States Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl II)

13. Rey Misterio Jr. [c] v. Dean Malenko (for the WCW World Crusierweight Championship, WCW Halloween Havoc 1996)

14. Eddie Guerrero [c] v. Rey Misterio Jr. (Mask vs. WCW World Crusierweight Championship Match, WCW Halloween Havoc 1997)

15. The Great Muta [c] v. Barry Windham (for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl III)

16. Booker T v. Chris Benoit (Best of Seven Series Match #7 for the Number 1 Contendership to the WCW World Television Championship, WCW The Great American Bash 1998)

17. Big Van Vader v. Sting (White Castle of Fear Leather Strap Match, WCW SuperBrawl III)

18. Jushin Thunder Liger [c] v. Flyin’ Brian (for the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl II)

19. Bret Hart v. Chris Benoit (WCW Money NITRO 10/4/1999)

20. Lord Steven Regal [c] v. Flyin’ Brian (for the WCW Television Championship, WCW Spring Stampede 1994)

cardsharkrob
01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Juventud Guerra Vs Chris Jericho in the Mask vs Tltle match

Tom Guycott
01-04-2011, 06:56 AM
I was a fan of the best of seven series between Chris Benoit and Booker T for the <s>US</s> TV strap. Booker got a huge singles rub from wrestling one freakin' guy, and Benoit got to show exactly how much he could go. It was an entertaining series of matches without gimmicks needlessly thrown in, needless run-ins, or any shitty angle tainting it. The announcers put those two guys over like they were the future of the business, and they performed like that belt was the world title, and telling their story in the ring.

James Steele
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Starrcade 1994 - Jean Paul Levesque vs Alex Wright

DLVH84
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Here are my 20 favorite WCW Matches of all time...

1. Rick Rude v. Ricky Steamboat (Thirty Minute Iron Man Match, WCW Beach Blast 1992)

2. Flyin’ Brian, The Steiner Brothers, & Sting v. The Four Horsemen & Larry Zbyszko (War Games Match, WCW WrestleWar 1991)

3. Ric Flair [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, WCW Spring Stampede 1994)

4. Big Van Vader v. Sting (King of Cable Tournament Final, WCW Starrcade 1992 – “BattleBowl/The Lethal Lottery”)

5. The Hollywood Blondes [c] v. Dos Hombres (Cage Match for the NWA/WCW Unified World Tag Team Championship, WCW Slamboree 1993 – “A Legends Reunion”)

6. Arn Anderson v. Ric Flair (WCW Fall Brawl 1995)

7. The Steiner Brothers [c] v. Steve Williams & Terry Gordy (for the WCW World Tag Team Championship, WCW Beach Blast 1992)

8. Steve Austin [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW United States Championship, WCW Clash of the Champions XXVIII)

9. Steve Austin [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship, WCW Bash at the Beach 1994)

10. Dean Malenko [c] v. Rey Misterio Jr. (for the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship, WCW Great American Bash 1996)

11. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes [c] v. Steve Austin & Steve Williams (for the NWA/WCW Unified World Tag Team Championship, WCW Halloween Havoc 1992 – “Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal”)

12. Rick Rude [c] v. Ricky Steamboat (for the WCW Unisted States Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl II)

13. Rey Misterio Jr. [c] v. Dean Malenko (for the WCW World Crusierweight Championship, WCW Halloween Havoc 1996)

14. Eddie Guerrero [c] v. Rey Misterio Jr. (Mask vs. WCW World Crusierweight Championship Match, WCW Halloween Havoc 1997)

15. The Great Muta [c] v. Barry Windham (for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl III)

16. Booker T v. Chris Benoit (Best of Seven Series Match #7 for the Number 1 Contendership to the WCW World Television Championship, WCW The Great American Bash 1998)

17. Big Van Vader v. Sting (White Castle of Fear Leather Strap Match, WCW SuperBrawl III)

18. Jushin Thunder Liger [c] v. Flyin’ Brian (for the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship, WCW SuperBrawl II)

19. Bret Hart v. Chris Benoit (WCW Money NITRO 10/4/1999)

20. Lord Steven Regal [c] v. Flyin’ Brian (for the WCW Television Championship, WCW Spring Stampede 1994)

Those are pretty good choices. I like it.

Fox
01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Jeff Jarrett vs. Chris Benoit - US Title Ladder Match - Starrcade 2000 deserves a mention.

whiteyford
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Jeff Jarrett vs. Chris Benoit - US Title Ladder Match - Starrcade 2000 deserves a mention.

Was that the one Scott Hall was supposed to be in but wasnt?

DLVH84
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM

I think that was Starrcade '99.

Aguakate
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Juventud Guerra Vs Christ Jericho in the Mask vs Tltle match

When was Christ in WCW?

Also, is Christ's last name "Jericho"?

Fox
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Yeah, apparently he got drunk instead. Surprise surprise.

And DLVH is right - it was Starrcade 99.

Lara Emily
01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Goldberg vs DDP Halloween Havoc 1998

Any number of the matches during Benoit/Malenko, Kidman/Rey Jr, Raven/Saturn fued, they were all amazing.

Not the best match but for a great story, probably one of WCW's last Ric Flair vs Eric Bischoff for control of WCW Nitro Dec 28 1998 fucking great atmosphere. They fucked it up really quickly after but for that one moment, wow.

MoFo
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Jericho v Malenko when Malenko was dressed as a lucha.

I liked Lance Storm v General Rection too.

Aguakate
01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I have always LOVED this match:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1ucaq?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1ucaq?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ucaq_rey-mysterio-jr-vs-eddie-guerrero_sport">Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Eddie Guerrero</a></b><br /><i>Cargado por <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/PWF">PWF</a>. - <a target="_self" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Descubre los videos de deportes m&aacute;s espectaculares.</a></i>

Emeye
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I might sit down later and try to think of some specific favorite matches of mine, but for now, I'll just say that I absolutely LOVED the WCW Cruiserweight Division. That was honestly the main appeal to me from WCW. WWE had the Attitude Era, WCW had the Cruiserweight Division, and ECW had hardcore.

But yea, loved the majority of Crusierweight/Lucha Libre matches from WCW.

DLVH84
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
How about the singles and tag team leagues at Starrcade '89?

Favorite Singles Match of the Night: Sting vs. Ric Flair
Favorite Tag Team Match of the Night: Steiner Brothers vs. Road Warriors

Seth82
01-06-2011, 01:16 AM
are we including pre-WCW matches?

if so I gotta include the I Quit steel cage match from Starrcade 1985 with Magnum TA versus Tully Blanchard

just a complete bloodbath with these two

The One
01-06-2011, 01:23 AM
are we including pre-WCW matches?

if so I gotta include the I Quit steel cage match from Starrcade 1985 with Magnum TA versus Tully Blanchard

just a complete bloodbath with these two

Oh my god, if we get to included NWA matches, I could be here for hours listing them. Hell I could be here for hours listing Tully Blanchard matches alone.

TOVO Fact: Tovo prefers chocolate chip cookies to all other forms of cookies.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah Tully Blanchard is the man.

DLVH84
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah Tully Blanchard is the man.

Tully Blanchard was one of first "cool bad guys" in pro wrestling.

Bad Company
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Jericho vs Mysterio, Bash at the Beach 98.

Dante69
01-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Sting vs Ric Flair .......... Clash Of The Champions

Seth82
01-07-2011, 01:02 AM
all three of the famous Flair vs Steamboat matches from 1989

the one at Wrestlewar '89 has been described as one of the greatest matches of all time

Fox
01-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Rey Mysterio vs. Kidman for the Cruiserweight title on Nitro. I don't remember the exact date, but I know Kidman was the reigning champ for awhile and the match ended with Mysterio planting Kidman with a huge bulldog from the top rope for the win. There was definitely a powerbomb reversal into a facebuster somewhere in there, too.

On the subject of great Flair matches, Flair had a great title defense against Rey Mysterio during one of their Panama Beach pool party Nitro's. Even after all those years, Flair still has that thing that makes you truly believe his opponent is going to defeat him, even though in reality there isn't a chance in hell he's losing the belt. Mysterio had Flair pinned and beat with the Huricanrana, but Arn Anderson interfered and caused the DQ. Rey then dropkicked Flair into the pool to end the show. One of my favorite Nitros.

DLVH84
01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I liked the two Brian Pillman vs. Lex Luger matches from 1989 (Halloween Havoc, 10/28/89 and Clash Of The Champions, 11/15/89). I really thought Pillman would win the U.S. title both times.

Seth82
01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
the Road Warriors-Midnight Express scaffold match from Starrcade '86 is another good one as well