PDA

View Full Version : The "Vince liking bigger wrestlers" thing

Graveler
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I get that the WWE is a big man game, but what do people mean by bigger? More muscular? Tall?

Corporate CockSnogger
01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Snorlax's, Charizard's, Gyarados.

Xero
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
He likes them larger than life. For example, take a look at Taz. In the business, he's considered a smaller guy. But in reality, he's 5'8, which is average height.

With Vince, I'd say height comes before weight. But he also likes guys who are bulkier/built for sure.

thedamndest
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Penis girth.

JimmyMess
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Penis girth.

That would be more Pat Patterson's field for talent scouting

James Steele
01-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I think he only has that reputation because bigger guys are usually bigger draws.

Tom Guycott
01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
I think a serviceable comparison would be to take test cases of guys who have little to do with one another and look at them side by side.

Taz(z) debuts in WWE as Kurt Angle's "mystery" opponent, in spite of the fact that the entire arena was chanting "We want Taz" and went monkey shit when they got their wish. A wrestling machine with the physique of a miniature Vader, proven mic ability, a history among any who knew of him that should have made him at the least a mid-card threat, and the immediate snapping of Angle's "undefeated streak" would lead one to believe he was headed for places aside from job duty on Heat and subsequently an announce position.

Now, let's look at guys like Nathan Jones, Chris Masters, Lex Lugar... guys like this have "the look", that usually translates to: generic, tall, white guy who looks impressive without a shirt. And I don't mean sideshow big man, like Andre, El Gigante, or Big Show.

It seems as if Vince wants the guy to come out in a debut just all the guys go "whoah!" and all the ladies cream their panties, and then that will magically translate into merchandising forevermore. It doesn't seem to matter much if he can't talk, or wrestle too well, doesn't have the drive, doesn't want to do the tour schedule. It also never seems to matter that someone like a Brock Lesnar was a 1 in a million shot that that formula that rarely ever works, yet everyone gets so snowed over, proved highly marketable.

They have all the Chavos and Christians staring them in the face, yet that doesn't seem to matter. The rises of Austin and Jericho had about as much to do with giving WCW a big "fuck you" as having the embodiment of two guys who could work in all aspects. Imagine if WWE hired them in the first place? There would be no "Austin 3:16", because he would have been in the same jobber hell he was in WCW, just losing to Doink instead of Alex Wright. Jericho wouldn't be able to "save us", because he'd be "too small". And quite honestly, I'm completely (and pleasantly) surprised that CM Punk is not only still around after silencing chants of "overrated" in his debut match, but that he was allowed to have the exposure to be an entertaining persona both face and heel, though I think Vince only saw the X's as $'s and the great worker part was a happy accident.

Oops, I ranted.

Point is, Vince is more apt to throw a Jackson Andrews at you and expect you to love it than a *Chris Benoit- whose push, yet again, was another "fuck you" to WCW- and then seem to always scratch their heads when the small guy gets over, the big man doesn't work out, or both.

*Please, no "murderer" or "Benoit doesn't exist" jokes. You should all know what I was trying to get at, and in an honest testament of his size and ringwork, he was actually the first name I thought of, followed by Lance Storm.

XL
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I think the inclination is to push big guys because they're big/have the look.

Guys like Zeke Jackson and Sheamus walk in and get an instant push where as guys like Punk have to prove their worth and guys like Christian still don't get a chance despite a proven connection with the crowd.

The Naitch
01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Vince probably thinks that bigger guys will tend to have that IT FACTOR, but nowadays, it's proven that you don't have to be "BIG" to have the it factor (ie. CM Punk, Edge)

It just took awhile for wrestlers to evolve into this

Stickman
01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I would have never said Edge has "it."

Ultra Mantis
01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Edge had "it" inside Lita.