PDA

View Full Version : I think the success of a pop star today...

Graveler
01-08-2011, 01:15 AM
is gauged by how retarded of a reaction you get out of people. Whether the reaction is positively or negatively, causing people to go in an irrational love or hate feel for you is the way to go. If you don't believe me, go to any Justin Bieber video on Youtube and just look at the comments. I apologize in advance to the wonderful people on this forum who brain cells are killed by the sheer stupidity of it all.

Gertner
01-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Bieber is better than douchey indie bands.

Kane Knight
01-08-2011, 03:31 AM

And a broken leg is better than a bullet through your brain. I wouldn't want either.

FakeLaser
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
You are so ghey

OssMan
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I love the video where Justin Bieber plays guitar

Fignuts
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Pretty sure Kane Knight hates everything except Lincoln Park, and Souixse and the Banshees

Fignuts
01-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh sorry. LINKIN Park.

Kane Knight
01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Pretty sure Kane Knight hates everything except Lincoln Park, and Souixse and the Banshees

I pretty much hate all music. That's why my music library and rock band library are so big.

Fignuts
01-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Of course. If you have as much hate in you as Kane Knight, you have to own a large amount of things to hate at your leisure, so the hate doesn't get all bottled up.

Graveler
01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

What indie bands do you consider douchey? I just don't get the point of leaving hateful comments on videos of people you don't like. In today's day and age, it's pretty easy to avoid any type of music you dislike. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Fignuts
01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, this is going to well for you.

Funky Fly
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
What indie bands do you consider douchey? I just don't get the point of leaving hateful comments on videos of people you don't like. In today's day and age, it's pretty easy to avoid any type of music you dislike. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

I will disagree with the last 2 sentences. When a song gets big it ends up being used when news and talk shows cut to commercial. It's used in big scenes in tv shows. It's used in movie trailers. It's blasted on every 5th car radio with the volume way too high. It's being played by a group of teenagers singing along with it at the food court in the mall. It's used in every other commercial.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7k0a5hYnSI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7k0a5hYnSI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9AEoUa0Hlso?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9AEoUa0Hlso?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi7Yh16dA0w?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi7Yh16dA0w?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Three examples of songs off the top of my head that were fucking everywhere when they were on the charts. Didn't even have to go into huge offenders like NSYNC, Justin Bieber or Britney Spears.

Kane Knight
01-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Of course. If you have as much hate in you as Kane Knight, you have to own a large amount of things to hate at your leisure, so the hate doesn't get all bottled up.

I will disagree with the last 2 sentences. When a song gets big it ends up being used when news and talk shows cut to commercial. It's used in big scenes in tv shows. It's used in movie trailers. It's blasted on every 5th car radio with the volume way too high. It's being played by a group of teenagers singing along with it at the food court in the mall. It's used in every other commercial.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7k0a5hYnSI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9AEoUa0Hlso?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi7Yh16dA0w?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Three examples of songs off the top of my head that were fucking everywhere when they were on the charts. Didn't even have to go into huge offenders like NSYNC, Justin Bieber or Britney Spears.

Graveler
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7k0a5hYnSI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7k0a5hYnSI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9AEoUa0Hlso?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9AEoUa0Hlso?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi7Yh16dA0w?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi7Yh16dA0w?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I see what you mean, but let's face it. Artists who usually a song like that overplayed typically get the one-hit wonder treatment. The song becomes overexposed and the artist can't reclaim the same effect. No one cares about the three women you listed as examples. I doubt people today don't have alternative means to not hear music they don't like. Plus, do you hate their songs so much that you would actively search for videos of them and nasty comments about the artists and their fans? Not to judge you personally, but I find that to be a waste of time

Funky Fly
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I specifically disagreed with the last 2 sentences. I think people who take the time to shit on the video in the comments section are tools. I'm just saying songs that explode in popularity (whether you like them or not) are very difficult to avoid.

Graveler
01-08-2011, 07:52 PM
What I'm saying, Funky Fly, is that there's very little reason to complain because songs like that get forgotten after a couple of months

Vox Populi
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
What I'm saying, Funky Fly, is that there's very little reason to complain because songs like that get forgotten after a couple of months

Those songs remain ridiculously overexposed in certain avenues and on certain radio formats to this day.

Graveler
01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Those songs remain ridiculously overexposed in certain avenues and on certain radio formats to this day.

Avenues & radio formats that can easily be avoided

Vox Populi
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
The radio formats, yes. The advertisements, which all 3 are still featured in, not so much. Plus, they've all become Muzak staples, so you're likely to get blasted with any of the 3 when grocery shopping or awaiting your next root canal.

Juan
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I think some people just enjoy catchy music.

Vox Populi
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Artists who usually a song like that overplayed typically get the one-hit wonder treatment.

If that's true whatsoever, these would be three really poor examples to try and use to support such a theory.

CSL
01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
http://tpww.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6706&stc=1&d=1294540982

White line is doing my nut in and I won't have Walter White put in that situation.

Vox Populi
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow. Thank you very much!

Gertner
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Pavement, Grizzly Bear and Deerhunter are a good start.

Vox Populi
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah, it's pretty easy to avoid all three of them.

Juan
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Gertner's problem mostly lies with "indy fans." It's a gimmick of sorts.

Kane Knight
01-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Bullshit.

Gertner's problem mostly lies with "indy fans." It's a gimmick of sorts.

His gimmick is being Kane Knight, really. Except he likes dance music. But otherwise, I mean, he's anti smark, anti indie, and loves the cock.

Fignuts
01-09-2011, 12:36 AM

can't read my can't read my

he can't read my pooooooooooker faaaaaaaace

Funky Fly
01-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Catchy music is fine and all, but I hate hearing a song 35 times a day.

Kane Knight
01-09-2011, 12:46 AM

It also helps when it's legitimately catchy.

Fignuts
01-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Up until a couple years ago, I thought indie music just meant musicians working with an independant record label.

Seemed kind of silly to make it it's own genre. I know there is a certain sound, and characteristic that is shared by a lot of indie bands, but I can go on my ipod right now, and find just as many bands with the indie label, that sound completely different.

Don't really care for calling that stuff "indie rock" anyway. When I put stuff on my ipod I file proggresive rock, indie rock, hard rock, alternative rock, etc under one category. Rock. Because that is what it is. And I love rock.

Stupid hipsters, and their sub-sub-sub-genreing.

Funky Fly
01-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Fuck it, if it sounds good, I'm listening. I really only classify it to share music. Apparently, I'm the guy to go to to get people into new music around these parts.

Vox Populi
01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Up until a couple years ago, I thought indie music just meant musicians working with an independant record label.

By definition, it still does. Along the way, however, people stopped caring about the definition and figured it was a good catch-all way to categorize damned near anything that isn't ridiculously mainstream.

It could be worse. It hasn't been all that long since some of the most mainstream music on the planet was most commonly referred to as "alternative". I dare say that's even dumber than referring to artists with 6 figure guarantees from Sony independent.

Kane Knight
01-09-2011, 01:05 AM

Seemed kind of silly to make it it's own genre. I know there is a certain sound, and characteristic that is shared by a lot of indie bands, but I can go on my ipod right now, and find just as many bands with the indie label, that sound completely different.

Don't really care for calling that stuff "indie rock" anyway. When I put stuff on my ipod I file proggresive rock, indie rock, hard rock, alternative rock, etc under one category. Rock. Because that is what it is. And I love rock.

Stupid hipsters, and their sub-sub-sub-genreing.

The worst thing is how many of these so-called "indie" bands are on fairly large labels and overshadow legit independent bands.

But naturally, it's part of the "indie" appeal, so....

Fuck it, if it sounds good, I'm listening. I really only classify it to share music. Apparently, I'm the guy to go to to get people into new music around these parts.

Personally, I leave whatever the tags are on my music unless they're horribly wrong. Like if somehow Judas Priest ended up under showtunes.

Fignuts
01-09-2011, 01:13 AM
The worst thing is how many of these so-called "indie" bands are on fairly large labels and overshadow legit independent bands.

But naturally, it's part of the "indie" appeal, so....

Yeah, seeing The Yeah Yeah Yeahs listed as indie, kind of confused me at the time.

Fignuts
01-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Personally, I leave whatever the tags are on my music unless they're horribly wrong. Like if somehow Judas Priest ended up under showtunes.

Sometimes I like to just put my ipod on a genre and let it go. Unfortunately, stuff I get is almost always wrong, or there is nothing at all.

Part of the reason I hate sub-genres. More work for me.

Funky Fly
01-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Shuffle songs FTW.

Kane Knight
01-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Sometimes I like to just put my ipod on a genre and let it go. Unfortunately, stuff I get is almost always wrong, or there is nothing at all.

Part of the reason I hate sub-genres. More work for me.

I usually go by playlist or put my entire library on shuffle.

Fignuts
01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Back on topic, I don't really have this problem with overexposed music, as I rarely watch tv, and never listen to the radio.

Since I stopped doing so a few years ago, I find my urge to find the nearest living thing, and punch it in the face has lessened greatly.

Buzzkill
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I have no strong opinions on Justin Bieber. Don't really see why people flip the fuck out about him

Kane Knight
01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I have no strong opinions on Justin Bieber. Don't really see why people flip the fuck out about him

The weirdest thing about Bieber is he doesn't really seem memorable enough to hate. It's hard to get mad at people who are so...Forgettable. He's kind of the antithesis of general pop in that sense, but he's also the antithesis of the sort of people who usually get shit on.

He's sort of an also-ran as far as I can tell. I don't get his success, but I also don't get the hate.

Juan
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Don't listen to the radio.

Kane Knight
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I think that was part of his point.

CSL
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
3rd time in 3 days I've posted a reply in the wrong thread

Kane Knight
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
CSL needs a GPS to find the mark.

Fignuts
01-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't see the point in hating someone like Justin Bieber, because at any given time period, there is always a musician or group like that. If you spaz out about it, you be spazzing your entire life, because there is always something that is inexplicably popular, that is at the same time hated by many.

Juan
01-10-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm more sick of the Bieber haters than I haver ever been of Bieber himself.

Kane Knight
01-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm more sick of the Bieber haters than I haver ever been of Bieber himself.

I blame 4Chan and Anonymous.

GD
01-10-2011, 08:28 AM
I saw his movie trailer (in 3D) and was like FUCK! I don't really care anymore.

Kane Knight
01-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I saw his movie trailer (in 3D) and was like FUCK! I don't really care anymore.

Haw haw, you once cared.

GD
01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I once cared to hate him son.

Malfeitor
01-10-2011, 03:56 PM

That's exactly it. The casual music fan doesn't even care about musicianship or talent. As long as a song has a catchy hook or lame one liner, it's all good with them.

CSL
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
'Malfeitor' sounds like the name of a really meaty pizza.

CSL
01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
'Malfeitor, no beef, double cheese please mate. Can I get that stuffed crust as well? Cheers.'

Kane Knight
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
'Malfeitor' sounds like the name of a really meaty pizza.

I thought he was the bad guy in Harry Potter.

Malfeitor
01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Haha. Actually, he was the bad guy in a really awesome, cheesy horror flick fom the 80's called Witchboard. It means evil in Portuguese.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't mind a pizza right now.

Sixx
01-12-2011, 04:00 AM
I always end up singing the song they play in the liquor store.

Fuckin' catchy songs.