PDA

View Full Version : An angle that would make me watch ROH

Gertner
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Probably not possible but I think it'd be cool.

In the middle of one of ROH's little IPPV's all of a sudden Batista walks down to the ring and starts cutting a promo cutting ROH to shreads, calling their wrestlers vanilla midgets, their fans fat virgins, stuff like that, proclaiming himself the best techincal wrestler of all time. Then after a bit have someone like Davey Richards come down to confront him. Batista starts cutting him down, making fun of his height, saying he has no personality. Right when Richards is about to attack, Hornswoggle comes out from under the ring and low blows Richards. Batista "Batista Bombs Richards and Swoggle does the Tadpole splash.

For the next few weeks Batista wrestles a couple matches against some lower card guys, but with his WWE style: restholds, slow paced, while stopping to cut down the crowd. Richards challenges Batista to a match at their next PPV.

Richards ends up beating Batista and doing some spot where he kicks Hornswoggle's ass. This puts over ROH, draws some mainstream interest, plus Batista would be a massive heel for that month. It'd only be a short term thing where Batista leaves the company. I hate indy wrestling but I'd definitley watch this.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
No thanks.

CSL
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
As much as the ROH muties cry about the WWE product and style, they'd probably wet themselves if he showed up.

I want Batista back on my TV.

Lara Emily
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
:| you're an idiot

CSL
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Well, computer.

Gertner
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Lol oh come on, it'd get over huge having a guy who stands for everything ROH fans hate and having him put over one of their guys. I know ROH is bleeding money so it'd just be for a few shows .

Lara Emily
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
You threw in Hornswoggle, you're an idiot.

And Bats sucks

CSL
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.galeon.com/mikeln/img/rolleyes.gif

Swiss Ultimate
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Probably not possible but I think it'd be cool.

In the middle of one of ROH's little IPPV's all of a sudden Batista walks down to the ring and starts cutting a promo cutting ROH to shreads, calling their wrestlers vanilla midgets, their fans fat virgins, stuff like that, proclaiming himself the best techincal wrestler of all time. Then after a bit have someone like Davey Richards come down to confront him. Batista starts cutting him down, making fun of his height, saying he has no personality. Right when Richards is about to attack, Hornswoggle comes out from under the ring and low blows Richards. Batista "Batista Bombs Richards and Swoggle does the Tadpole splash.

For the next few weeks Batista wrestles a couple matches against some lower card guys, but with his WWE style: restholds, slow paced, while stopping to cut down the crowd. Richards challenges Batista to a match at their next PPV.

Richards ends up beating Batista and doing some spot where he kicks Hornswoggle's ass. This puts over ROH, draws some mainstream interest, plus Batista would be a massive heel for that month. It'd only be a short term thing where Batista leaves the company. I hate indy wrestling but I'd definitley watch this.

Cactus Jack's anti-hardcore gimmick in ECW?

Gertner
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah DTTS that's kinda what I was going for.

And Lara Emily, I know they suck and that's the point of the angle. It'd be two wrestlers that their fans hate. Remember how loudly Cena got booed at One Night Stand? It'd be the same reaction.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I actually thought Hornswoggle was a nice touch, but I'm just sick of these 'edgy', 'bigger than the show' angles...the ones that are based on the wrong part of reality. It was these kind of angles that WCW was doing in its dying days, and they always seemed to turn out pretty awful.

Gertner
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Look who was writing for WCW. Plus it'd just be a very short term thing where the two are just in the company for a month, stir up some interest and put over one of their stars.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I just wouldn't be so blatant about him calling everybody vanilla midgets or whatever. Maybe they could SAY the angle is about something else, but just keep those WWE v. ROH undertones on the backburner. The fans would know, and they wouldn't have to come off as corny by touting it.

Does ROH have an on-air authority figure by any chance? Maybe have that guy bring in Batista and put him over as the new face of ROH, which Davey Richards or whoever the fuck takes objection to, talking about how he has worked hard to make ROH what it is today, and some muscle bound dork like Batista isn't going to take it away, yadda yadda yadda....

Gertner
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I think Jim Cornette is the authority figure if I'm not mistaken. I like your idea as well. Even if it draws an extra thousand or so buys for their IPPV's it'd be worth it, especially for the possibility of bringing in some new fans who might like ROH's style of matches that they haven't been exposed to before. ROH lost their tv deal and don't do regular ppv's anymore so they could use some help drawing new fans.

Swiss Ultimate
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
I wonder if it would pull in more iPPV buys...does anyone know if TNA's PPV buy-rate has increased since their "hire every single person who leaves the WWE" strategy was implemented?

Gertner
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Again, look who is writing for TNA. The difference I believe is, people know about TNA it's just that TNA does a lot of stupid things. Their ratings did go up a bit when Hogan came so it drew interest, it's just that TNA failed to keep those fans interested.

MoFo
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Have Big Dick Johnson interrupt 'sirius' matches like Roderick Strong v Davey Richards for maximum heelishness.

TazFTW86
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
this is so dumb...yea he'll get heat, but u dont need him to make richards a star. he's 1 of their best wrestlers...imo, if u want a corny angle like that, stick to wwe or tna

Gertner
01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but does anybody know who he is? ROH needs to attract more people to its fanbase.

Loose Cannon
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
how about that same angle, but instead of ROH getting a comeback, how about ROH just takes a beating and Batista leaves.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
You should probably put the title on him first in LC's scenario.

Nicky Fives
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
until they quit being spot monkeys and sell out venues larger than a 2000 capacity.... nothing will make me watch them.....

Fignuts
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Davey Richards is their biggest star now?

lol what happened.

Volare
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
That's the economy for ya now days.

thecc
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
until they quit being spot monkeys and sell out venues larger than a 2000 capacity.... nothing will make me watch them.....that is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

JimmyMess
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I find myself quoting Kevin Nash a lot these days.... not sure if it is on purpose.... but anyways.... as Nash put it :

"There's a reason why no one knows who the fuck Ring of Honor is"

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
....that's it? Did he elaborate?

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
That sounds similar to my idea for a heel Matt Hardy in ROH. He would come in, say he was there to get them some mainstream attention, because people actually care about him -- only for some ROH guys to kick his ass.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-20-2011, 08:04 AM
until they sell out venues larger than a 2000 capacity.... nothing will make me watch them.....

lolllllllllllllll

ONLY POPULAR THINGS ARE GOOD

Triple Naitch
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I actually like the idea. I wish WWE would do some sort of talent deal with ROH like they did with ECW back in the day.

Emperor Smeat
01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Didn't Nash do something similar when he arrived on TNA or at least when he wanted to feud with the X-Division guys ?

I remember him "trashing" the division with promos and random beatings but don't remember if anyone from the division ended up winning the feud against him.

CSL
01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Wrong thread. That's 4 times in about a 10 days.

Bad News Gertner
03-01-2014, 03:59 PM
lol remembered making this thread. Pretty close to what he's doing now based on his promo. Replace Richards with Bryan.

Batista needs to come out with a "King of the Internet" jacket.

Bad News Gertner
03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Still think this is a great idea

Swiss Ultimate
03-01-2014, 04:45 PM
It definitely would have sold out shows. I don't know if ROH could have afforded Batista and Horny to make it work though.

XL
03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Davey Richards is their biggest star now?

lol what happened.

So, Davey (& Eddie) left. Who's their biggest star now? Steen?

Bad News Gertner
03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
AJ Styles?

XL
03-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Is he there? Wasn't sure.

Bad News Gertner
03-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I think he is. I don't keep track of ROH at all anymore.

XL
03-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Me neither. Used to watch their show when they first pit in on their site, then lost interest. 8 hours of wrestling on a normal week is probably enough for me.

Brigstocke
03-01-2014, 05:54 PM
WOW That didn't escalate quickly.

Mr. Nerfect
03-01-2014, 05:58 PM
I haven't been following ROH too closely for some time. They seem to have lost the luster they once had. With the WWE now treating indy darlings better than they have ever been, it seems like ROH doesn't provide that "alternative" that people credited it for back in the day. Now the best indy wrestlers are in NXT.

I am looking forward to seeing what ROH does with NJPW when they do those shows together in May. With Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada possibly working matches on North American shores, there is a chance for ROH to really capture something here.

More specifically, on the topic of this thread, I remember wanting Matt Hardy to do something similar to this. I'd have brought him into ROH as Matthew Moore Hardy and given him the angle of a guy who thought he was gracing ROH with his Superstar presence. If they wanted another guy they could bring in for this angle, they could try either Matt Morgan (who I believe is retired) or Chris Masters. Kevin Nash as an on-air manager/personal commentator for their matches would be great.

Theo Dious
03-01-2014, 10:29 PM
ROH is turning into the developmental territory for NXT. This amuses the fucking hell out of me.

#1-norm-fan
03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Batista needs to come out with a "King of the Internet" jacket.

Sounds more like something Ryback would do right now.

In fact Ryback and Batista have pretty similar characters right now. Only difference is Batista is more serious business.

#1-norm-fan
03-01-2014, 10:38 PM
I have to confess, I watched an couple episodes of ROH about a year ago. It was the episode where the ROH vs S.C.U.M. feud came to a head with the War Games match. I have to say, I didn't hate it. It was the fact that there didn't seem to be much story outside that main event and every match seemed exactly the same that turned me off. I was actually begging for a squash match just to see someone separate themselves from the pack.

Bad News Gertner
03-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Sounds more like something Ryback would do right now.

In fact Ryback and Batista have pretty similar characters right now. Only difference is Batista is more serious business.

Batista is a cocky dickhead. Ryback is merely a dickhead.

Swiss Ultimate
03-02-2014, 01:15 AM
I like the idea of a humble dickhead.

Would be a fun heel character.

Bad News Gertner
03-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Even better: a jacket with "King of Sports Entertainment" on the back.

Swiss Ultimate
03-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Oooooh....

Swiss Ultimate
03-02-2014, 01:29 AM
I am Ryback, are you not sport entertained?

Swiss Ultimate
03-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I would love the gimmick of "The Sports Entertainer"

Lock Jaw
03-02-2014, 01:35 AM
http://www.sescoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/internet-legend-635x706.jpg

Curd
03-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Reminds me of Steve Williams in ECW. Beat a few midcarders, then jobbed to Raven raise the profile of ECW. Good idea to keep the big names for only a few months. Keeps cost down and prevents long term small fed pushes for those already in the national spotlight.

Fignuts
03-03-2014, 01:45 AM
I haven't been following ROH too closely for some time. They seem to have lost the luster they once had. With the WWE now treating indy darlings better than they have ever been, it seems like ROH doesn't provide that "alternative" that people credited it for back in the day. Now the best indy wrestlers are in NXT.

I am looking forward to seeing what ROH does with NJPW when they do those shows together in May. With Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada possibly working matches on North American shores, there is a chance for ROH to really capture something here.

More specifically, on the topic of this thread, I remember wanting Matt Hardy to do something similar to this. I'd have brought him into ROH as Matthew Moore Hardy and given him the angle of a guy who thought he was gracing ROH with his Superstar presence. If they wanted another guy they could bring in for this angle, they could try either Matt Morgan (who I believe is retired) or Chris Masters. Kevin Nash as an on-air manager/personal commentator for their matches would be great.

I don't think the NJPW partnership will do much for ROH. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be great to see the matches, and it might get ROH a temporary boost, but long term, there's only so much a bunch of non english speaking dudes can do for an american wrestling company.

Except for Nakamura. Nakamura should come to WWE and break CM Punk's title reign record.

Fignuts
03-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Pretty sure both Styles and Hero are freelancers.

Is Kevin Steen the top contracted star then?

Droford
03-03-2014, 02:01 AM
I would watch ROH if I could watch ROH. I used to watch it every Monday night on HDNet when it was on. Now its on channels I dont get and its too much trouble to try and stream it.

Lock Jaw
03-03-2014, 02:08 AM
You can watch it for free online on their website. Sign up for free on their website and you can watch the weekly show. They make it available a day or two after whatever day it airs on tv.

XL
03-03-2014, 06:06 AM
If American wrestling fans aren't watching ROH right now, then a partnership with NJPW won't help them. The only fans that will attract will be the Americans that already what NJPW, and you gotta think if they're watching NJPW they're probably watching ROH already.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not suggesting that having the NJPW stars over will "save" ROH or anything like that. I just think it would be the most interesting it would have been in a long time. There are many nerds who believe that New Japan is the best promotion in the world today and have also lost interest in ROH. If there is a plan to re-focus ROH these shows would at least give them a good opportunity to do that.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
That being said, I've always thought that a TNA/ROH crossover would do both promotions good, so what do I know?

Lock Jaw
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
[Insert Kurt Angle being an angle that would make me watch ROH joke]

Swiss Ultimate
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
ROH needs New Jack.

Fignuts
03-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not suggesting that having the NJPW stars over will "save" ROH or anything like that. I just think it would be the most interesting it would have been in a long time. There are many nerds who believe that New Japan is the best promotion in the world today and have also lost interest in ROH. If there is a plan to re-focus ROH these shows would at least give them a good opportunity to do that.

You just called me a nerd you son of a bitch.

Bad News Gertner
03-06-2014, 06:02 AM
Lol look at Noid thumbing his nose at other people.

Shisen Kopf
03-06-2014, 06:42 AM
This angle would be, dare I say, serious business

Mr. Nerfect
03-08-2014, 05:43 PM
You just called me a nerd you son of a bitch.

1. I didn't call you a nerd. "Hey Fignuts, you're a nerd," is a statement implying you are a nerd.

2. I wasn't using the term with any sort of malice. I am part of that nerdy group -- I just don't want NJPW as much as I'd like.

Curd
03-08-2014, 11:06 PM
What's Davey Richards going to do when TNA releases him? DR has burnt bridges with ROH and WWE.
http://www.tpww.net/2014/03/davey-richards-its-my-goal-to-make-wwe-feel-stupid/