PDA

View Full Version : TNA's new UK Home

taker707
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
source: Pwinsider

As noted earlier here on the website, TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter announced Tuesday that all TNA programming in the U.K. will air on Sky TV channel Challenge beginning next month. Challenge TV will broadcast iMPACT! each week, as well as Xplosion and monthly pay-per-view events. TNA’s television situation in the U.K. had been limbo since January 1 when its former home, Bravo, was shut down. Challenge TV generally airs game show programs, but is available to Sky, Virgin, and Freeview systems. By getting on Freeview, TNA programming will eventually be available to every television in the United Kingdom (once the UK Digital Switchover is completed in 2012). At yesterday’s live event in Dublin, Ireland, Carter informed the live audience that TNA signed a new television distribution agreement in the U.K.

TNA’s new programming home in the UK, Challenge TV, will in fact place the company’s shows in more UK markets then WWE. The channel is part of the lowest subscription packages for Sky, Virgin Media and BT. Sky Sports, WWE’s programming home, is an exclusive package that is expensive on Sky and even more expensive on rival services. Digital TV penetration in the UK is about 34%, compared to just 37% for Sky. Reports are also stating that Challenge TV is trying to create a block of programming aimed at young male viewers, and that TNA will be part of that effort.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Lol, it's on the game show channel. In other words "we're paying for this crap for another couple of years, best stick it somewhere".

CSL
01-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Plenty of available viewers though

#BROKEN Hasney
01-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Same amount of available viewers, they just don't have people staying tuned in after "UK's Hardest Men with Danny Dyer" or whatever.

Did they actually think of Danny Dyer's career when they shut down Bravo? Heartless bastards.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-26-2011, 05:11 AM
"TNA iMPACT! coming up tonight at 10pm... but before that we have classic family Fortunes, Stars in their Eyes and The Crystal Maze!"

Londoner
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
This was the channel that was right next to Bravo,lol.

Swish
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Ha Ha Sky Sports should have bought the rights to this. Could have given them some more views...

Pardeep 619
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
With it being on Chalenge TV at least it's accessible to more people than if it was on Bravo so that's something, I was thinking the other day as to whether or not it was possible for it to have been on ESPN. Not sure which company owns ESPN in the UK, but isn't it owned by Disney in the USA? Maybe they could have reached a deal to have PPV's shown on that network, could have given the show a bigger feel to it than being on Challenge TV.

Chavo Classic
01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
I read somewhere it's going to be on the new HBO-inspired 'Sky Atlantic' channel.

Chavo Classic
01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
"TNA iMPACT! coming up tonight at 10pm... but before that we have classic family Fortunes, Stars in their Eyes and The Crystal Maze!"

I'd sit through Impact to watch the Crystal Maze.... so long as it's Richard O'Brien hosting.

Outsider
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I can't find challenge...

Joesgonnakillyou
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
It'll be on right after takeshi's castle...

Chavo Classic
01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
It'll be on right after takeshi's castle...

On a related note, TNA Impact is a lot like Takeshi's Castle.

CSL
01-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Only less serious.

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Happy man, Freeview all the way. Just as long they won't cancel it like they did with Virgin 1.

Cool King
01-27-2011, 07:46 AM
I'd sit through Impact to watch the Crystal Maze.... so long as it's Richard O'Brien hosting.

Yeah, Edward Tudor-Pole sucked as host.

O'Brien even had a harmonica! Though the more I think about it, I'd most likely find O'Brien playing his harmonica more entertaining than TNA.

Chavo Classic
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
This thread has made me forget about TNA and want to watch The Crystal Maze.

The Medieval zone, the Aztec zone, Industrial zone and the Impact zone.

I'd hate to get an automatic lock-in in the Impact zone - being forced to watch Bully Ray and Devon.

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I enjoyed Edward 'You can call me Ed' Tudor-Pole as presenter, he was so random but yeah Richard O'Brien kicked ass. Ed Tudor-Pole vs Richard O'Brien in a Crystal Dome match...BOOK IT!

On an other note...roll on next month for TNA on Freeview.

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
The Medieval zone, the Aztec zone, Industrial zone and the Impact zone.

I'd hate to get an automatic lock-in in the Impact zone - being forced to watch Bully Ray and Devon.

I always love the automatic lock-in games. I prefer Ocean than industrial. So what kind of match would they book on TNA's first showing? Mystery? Physical? Skill? Mental? 3 minute match and the winners face each other in a Crystal Dome match in the main event to earn the right to face the champion.

Cool King
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
On an other note...roll on next month for TNA on Freeview.

I have Freeview but I don't think I get Challenge. :?:

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Challenge will be on Freeview from next month onwards.

addy2hotty
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9hDUixwMqFo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Thread has been Richard O'Brien'd. Oh yes.

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9hDUixwMqFo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Thread has been Richard O'Brien'd. Oh yes.

Loving it. TNA 0 Crystal Maze 1

whiteyford
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Are they getting the PPVs as well? I probably still wont watch but it might sway me if they do.

RiX1024
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I think all TNA programming are on it including PPVs

Chavo Classic
01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Are they getting the PPVs as well? I probably still wont watch but it might sway me if they do.

Absolutely! I'm definitely with you if you're thinking about ordering a Crystal Maze PPV.

In all honesty, Challenge is a horrible channel for TNA to be on. I've only ever watched for an ironic half-hour of Wheel of Fortune, or stumbled in at two in the morning and watched Poker whilst downing gallons of water in a futile attempt to avoid a hangover.

It's not going to do Impact's reputation any favours being on the same schedule as 'Play your cards right' and 'Catchphrase'. They're not going to attract any viewers with the exception of those who are actively looking for the show. Better exposure will only be achieved through broadcasting on one of the sports channels (ESPN perhaps) or even a secondary terrestrial channel (Channel 5). Instead it's going to look like a second-rate show, on a second-rate channel.

whiteyford
01-28-2011, 03:13 AM
It's not going to do Impact's reputation any favours being on the same schedule as 'Play your cards right' and 'Catchphrase'.

Roy Walker as the new majority shareholder equals ratings gold!

The Destroyer
01-28-2011, 03:31 AM
I can't find challenge...
It comes on Freeview on 1st February.

RiX1024
01-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Roy Walker should have a Catchphrase segment on Impact. Say what you see.