PDA

View Full Version : John Cena vs Reality, bad for kids?

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I know this is a little exaggerated and over the top, and I'm not actualy suggesting (nor do I believe) that John Cena or WWE is a bad person/company or doing anything truly wrong or hurtful to society or kids with this idea.

With John Cena's "Superman" gimmick, the I'm never going to quit attitude and the fact that he ALMOST always comes out on top, is this sending kids the wrong message or setting them up for disappointment in life?

I'm not saying he's a bad role model by any means. There's nothing wrong with having a never say die attitude, hell, I have one myself mostly. The fact is though, just because you never give up, the reality is that people fail quite regularly (unlike Cena), and that's okay.

I'm just curious what you guys think about this concept, a lot like every kid getting a trophy in sports just for participating, is Cena always winning/over coming the odds setting kids up for disappointment in life when reality sets in?

SOCCER LEGS
01-29-2011, 06:11 PM
you think john cena's "never give up" attitude is the worst thing kids are exposed to today, both inside and outside of WWE?

what kind of fucking moron are you? of all the aspects of WWE that you could pinpoint as being unfit for children, you pick john cena's unrelenting determination.

go get a gun, point it at your face and pull the fucking trigger.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I know this is a little exaggerated and over the top, and I'm not actualy suggesting (nor do I believe) that John Cena or WWE is a bad person/company or doing anything truly wrong or hurtful to society or kids with this idea.

With John Cena's "Superman" gimmick, the I'm never going to quit attitude and the fact that he ALMOST always comes out on top, is this sending kids the wrong message or setting them up for disappointment in life?

I'm not saying he's a bad role model by any means. There's nothing wrong with having a never say die attitude, hell I have one myself mostly. The fact is though, just because you never give up, the reality is that people fail quite regularly (unlike Cena), and that's okay.

I'm just curious what you guys think about this concept, a lot like every kid getting a trophy just for participating, is Cena always winning/over coming the odds setting kids up for disappointment in life when reality sets in?

When are you going to start questioning 70's/80's/90's Hulk Hogan? Ultimate Warrior? Superman? Batman? Captain Planet? Etc. Etc. Superman reaches and has reached way more generations than Cena will. Why do we sit here pretend that wrestling is the only thing that reaches kids? Why are we so caught up in this "Cena Superman" thing when it is nothing new nor original in wrestling let alone in the world?

And your going to question this era as being "bad" for kids before you question the "Attitude Era"?

Rammsteinmad
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
'ALMOST always comes out on top'???

Give me one example where he didn't.

CSL
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
The thought of some kid being set upon by about 8 bullies, shrugging his shoulders, tapping his wrist, pulling his shirt off with one arm and wading into them is kinda hilarious.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
'ALMOST always comes out on top'???

Give me one example where he didn't.

What type of example are you looking for? Match wise? Feud wise? Angle wise?

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 06:18 PM
you think john cena's "never give up" attitude is the worst thing kids are exposed to today, both inside and outside of WWE?

what kind of fucking moron are you? of all the aspects of WWE that you could pinpoint as being unfit for children, you pick john cena's unrelenting determination.

go get a gut, point it at your face and pull the fucking trigger.

No, I don't actually think that's the case at all. If you actually had some reading comprehension skills or actually read my post, you would know that's not what I think at all and that this was a hypothetical question that I wanted others opinions on.

I actually think the lack of reading comprehension skills of kids (and some adults) today is worse than the hypothetical question I posed here, and clearly your response is an example of that.

CSL
01-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Any kind of example that makes 'I hate Cena waaaah' relevant.

SOCCER LEGS
01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
No, I don't actually think that's the case at all. If you actually had some reading comprehension skills or actually read my post, you would know that's not what I think at all and that this was a hypothetical question that I wanted others opinions on.

I actually think the lack of reading comprehension skills of kids (and some adults) today is worse than the hypothetical question I posed here, and clearly your response is an example of that.

can't backtrack now, you're a dipshit and everyone now knows it.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
The amazing thing is, that this thread is about someone who has granted over 200 wishes for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and in 2009 was a recipient of the Chris Greicius Celebrity Award. Someone who not only has the "I can be anything" attitude but actually being anything he wants to be. Professional Wrestler, Actor, Music Career, Make A Wish contributor, fully Supports the United States soldiers.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
How about we make a "Steve Austin vs Reality, bad for kids?" How many kids went to school shooting birds at their teachers? How many kids got a hold of a beer can after being influenced by the rattlesnake? How many of those kids improved their vocabulary usage after being introduced to such words and/or phrases such as "Jackass", "Asshole", "Can of Whoop-ass", "The toughest S.O.B." etc. etc. etc.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
can't backtrack now, you're a dipshit and everyone now knows it.

Wow, nice job deflecting about your lack of reading comprehension skills.

I'll say it again, just for those special folks who have a hard time with reading comprehension:

I'm not saying he's a bad role model by any means. There's nothing wrong with having a never say die attitude, hell, I have one myself mostly. The fact is though, just because you never give up, the reality is that people fail quite regularly (unlike Cena), and that's okay.

Xero
01-29-2011, 06:30 PM
You're sounding like one of those morons who would fine a basketball coach for playing aggressively because it "hurt the other teams' feelings".

I don't have any problem with this in terms of him being a role model. I have a problem with him calling someone like Vickie, who has clearly lost weight and is actually trying to better herself, fat and picking on her for an entire segment with Lawler because of her being "fat".

I don't have a big problem with it when heels do it, especially because they usually get comeuppance from it, but Cena and Lawler are the faces. They shouldn't be doing shit like that in a PG world. Honestly, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with it if we were still in the TV-14 age. I still wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't be from someone who is supposed to be the role model of role models to kids.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
BigCrippyZ...So again, why would you make the thread "John Cena vs Reality, bad for kids?" before making a "Steve Austin vs Reality, bad for kids?" thread? That is my curiosity, regarding your hypocrisy.

Xero
01-29-2011, 06:32 PM
How about we make a "Steve Austin vs Reality, bad for kids?" How many kids went to school shooting birds at their teachers? How many kids got a hold of a beer can after being influenced by the rattlesnake? How many of those kids improved their vocabulary usage after being introduced to such words and/or phrases such as "Jackass", "Asshole", "Can of Whoop-ass", "The toughest S.O.B." etc. etc. etc.

It was a different product, different rating. Kids watch it, but they aren't supposed to. It's the parents' job to police what their kids do, not the WWE's, especially when they have warnings.

SOCCER LEGS
01-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, nice job deflecting about your lack of reading comprehension skills.

I'll say it again, just for those special folks who have a hard time with reading comprehension:

:rofl: you mad dumb son :rofl:

CSL
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey look, the average intelligence of the forum just went down 19%. How are you doing SOCCER LEGS?

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:36 PM
It was a different product, different rating. Kids watch it, but they aren't supposed to. It's the parents' job to police what their kids do, not the WWE's, especially when they have warnings.

I understand that, and I also understand that the "It's up to the parents..." it to easy of a cop out when it comes to discussing it. The fact is, that Stone Cold reached kids, weather we want to sit here and call out millions of parents for being "bad parents" as some would like to, so it still remains, why would this come up before a Steve Austin discussion about the same thing come up? Different time, same product, same machine, BIGGER IMPACT.

Xero
01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Different product. Can you honestly look at today's product and the product of 2000 and say "yes, these are exactly the same"? Absolutely not. The content is a sharp contrast to one another.

I will, however, admit that WWE DID market to a younger audience during the Attitude Era. But that doesn't take away from the fact that there were warnings and the ratings were in place.

If anything, I think some of the stuff WWE put out 10 years ago should have had an M rating. They treaded the line A LOT of the time.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 06:42 PM
BigCrippyZ...So again, why would you make the thread "John Cena vs Reality, bad for kids?" before making a "Steve Austin vs Reality, bad for kids?" thread? That is my curiosity, but your hypocrisy.

Because John Cena is the current "top" guy in the company. I actually would likely be doing the same thing for Austin if he was still a top guy in the company.

The whole reason I thought about John Cena vs reality is that me and my wife were having a discussion earlier about how some people just can't handle reality or the truth and why that is the case for those people. We had discussed that kids getting trophies just for participating in sports nowadays, probably wasn't going to help any but it also comes down to parenting too.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Different product. Can you honestly look at today's product and the product of 2000 and say "yes, these are exactly the same"? Absolutely not. The content is a sharp contrast to one another.

I will, however, admit that WWE DID market to a younger audience during the Attitude Era. But that doesn't take away from the fact that there were warnings and the ratings were in place.

If anything, I think some of the stuff WWE put out 10 years ago should have had an M rating. They treaded the line A LOT of the time.

Listen, I totally agree with you Xero about the parents and their children, even though the other side of that is it being an easy cop out. But either way, I agree with you on that part, but you and I are having another conversation apart from the current topic or my question in the beginning, why would he make this thread about John Cena, before making one about Steve Austin if he was truly after the whole what type of affect does something have on a generation?

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Because John Cena is the current "top" guy in the company. I actually would likely be doing the same thing for Austin if he was still a top guy in the company.

The whole reason I thought about John Cena vs reality is that me and my wife were having a discussion earlier about how some people just can't handle reality or the truth and why that is the case for those people. We had discussed that kids getting trophies just for participating in sports nowadays, probably wasn't going to help any but it also comes down to parenting too.

...and the other part of your post is you called it the "Superman Gimmick", that alone should let you know that it is not anything the kids are not seeing anywhere else. John Cena is not cut from an unknown cloth as far as ideas and messages, so truly, the John Cena persona is not portraying or delivering a different message that hasn't been fed to generations since the 1940's.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 07:05 PM

I agree with you guys, the WWE really walked a fine line then and I wouldn't want any young kid (especially my own) under the age of 12-13 watching Attitude Era programming, but it's also up to the parents too.

I know that when I was 12 I began watching Attitude Era wrestling with my father and it was a honestly a great way to bond with each other. I don't think I should have been allowed to necessarily watch it alone in my room or anything, but again, some of my friend's parents let them watch it alone, which was their decision.

The reality of the situation is this, kids are discussing, being exposed to and experiencing sex, drugs, and violence especially around the age of 11-13 and to think otherwise is naive. In reality, drugs, and ho's and pimps do exist, and my father chose to expose me to it at 12-13 in an entertaining and responsible way that we could both enjoy but discuss the realities of the topics too.

I ended up just fine, I'm not a criminal, I don't do drugs or seek out hookers, I don't attack or cuss out my bosses or clients, I have two degrees, I'm a professional audio engineer and own and operate several businesses too.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
...and the other part of your post is you called it the "Superman Gimmick", that alone should let you know that it is not anything the kids are not seeing anywhere else. John Cena is not cut from an unknown cloth as far as ideas and messages, so truly, the John Cena persona is not portraying or delivering a different message that hasn't been fed to generations since the 1940's.

I agree with you, I don't think it's actually a bad thing. I just thought it was an interesting idea and argument, even if I don't agree with it.

This isn't a shot at you or anyone specific, but I guess I shouldn't have expected a rational discussion on a wrestling forum. My mistake! :(

YoungFlyFlashy
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I agree with you, I don't think it's actually a bad thing. I just thought it was an interesting idea and argument, even if I don't agree with it.

This isn't a shot at you or anyone specific, but I guess I shouldn't have expected a rational discussion on a wrestling forum. My mistake! :(

In my opinion I have given you a rational discussion, were you looking for a rational discussion with open minded opinions and ideas, or were you looking for a closed minded, John Cena is the only thing that reaches kids discussion? If so, we could sit here and have this discussion as if Cena was reaching that many kids worldwide and has been for decades.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
In my opinion I have given you a rational discussion, were you looking for a rational discussion with open minded opinions and ideas, or were you looking for a closed minded, John Cena is the only thing that reaches kids discussion? If so, we could sit here and have this discussion as if Cena was reaching that many kids worldwide and has been for decades.

I think you have too, and I have nothing against you, or Xero, or anyone else that's capable of a rational discussion with open minded opinions and ideas. I honestly don't think or believe that this is actually affecting kids at all, but I thought it was an interesting concept and discussion.

TheAdamEvansFan
01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
yawn

Nark Order
01-29-2011, 07:41 PM
John Cena is probably the greatest role model that the wrestling business has ever had. He's a company man, he doesn't do drugs, he's all about respect, he's a work horse, he does ridiculous amounts of charity work to help those less fortunate, and all around he's just a pretty golden-hearted guy. There isn't one aspect of John Cena that is a bad example for children really. At least not one that I can think of.

Gertner
01-29-2011, 08:19 PM
God some people on this site are so fucking stupid.

FourFifty
01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
If I emulated the wrestlers I looked up to then I'd be switching back and forth between a blond wig and a red and black mask.

ooTin
01-29-2011, 09:32 PM

go get a gun, point it at your face and pull the fucking trigger.

...I....I think im in love :love::love::love::love::love:

CSL
01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
That is not at all remotely surprising.

ooTin
01-29-2011, 09:35 PM
BigCrispyZ sucks is a big crispy retard who sucks big crispy cocks every morning with a big bowl of rice crispys.

CSL
01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
What is a 'big crispy cock' exactly?

Xero
01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
It's what Kane has.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
BigCrispyZ sucks is a big crispy retard who sucks big crispy cocks every morning with a big bowl of rice crispys.

Mmm... big cocks... er I mean, rice krispies.

BigCrippyZ
01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
It's what Kane has.

:lol:

Dark One
01-30-2011, 12:12 AM
This thread is bad for kids.

Volare
01-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Trolls are bad for kids.

James Steele
01-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Kids should be more like Triple H. Seriously, marry the principal's daughter and control the school!

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1003/hhhs.jpg

CSL
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
lol that cross between George Harrison, Pee Wee Herman and an actual living breathing troll on the left

James Steele
01-30-2011, 04:28 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9085/001283.png

James Steele
01-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Is it just me or does it look like the ghosts of Fit Finlay and Katie Lea Burchill are getting all horny behind those kids on the bus?

owenbrown
01-30-2011, 05:05 AM
This thread is bad for anyone with intelligence.

Fixed.

Rammsteinmad
01-30-2011, 07:29 AM

Feud/Angle.