PDA

View Full Version : I miss local jobbers

Xero
02-01-2011, 06:01 PM
We had a few last SmackDown! with the Rumble Exhibition or whatever that was, but we rarely ever get local guys doing jobs anymore. I get why WWE does it, because it's easier to use guys under their control, but it also devalues them to a point. I'd at least like to see local jobbers come back for 1-2 minute squash matches.

Discuss local jobbers in this thread.

Anybody Thrilla
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
So you want pointless squash matches versus unknowns who probably aren't even good. Why?

Lock Jaw
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Depends. Hated them when it would be just Heel vs. Local Boy for the sake of making the heel look dominant.

Liked it when they actually turn it into a story. Like instead of just a random match with a local boy that you know has no chance, it is part of a challenge. (Kurt Angle, Masters, whatever)

Providence Peep
02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Xero, do you mean guys like Iron Mike Sharpe and "The Duke of Dorchester," Pete Doherty? :y:

JimmyMess
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
So you want pointless squash matches versus unknowns who probably aren't even good. Why?

Thats not necessarily true. There have been a few superstars that have jobbed very, very early on in their careers as "locals" and years later went on to have successful careers. I assume it was originally their "tryout match" as well as a match to make a made star look great.

The reason they don't do it now is most likely because A. the audience is smarter and doesn't buy the squash match & B. Having your own farm system like OVW or FCW gives you a chance to see how these kids look on camera/in front of a crowd anyways.

SaskatchewanChamp
02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
We had a few last SmackDown! with the Rumble Exhibition or whatever that was, but we rarely ever get local guys doing jobs anymore. I get why WWE does it, because it's easier to use guys under their control, but it also devalues them to a point. I'd at least like to see local jobbers come back for 1-2 minute squash matches.

Discuss local jobbers in this thread.

You have now proven without a shadow of a doubt, that you are a retarded cunt.

Xero
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Better than pointless squash matches featuring guys who shouldn't be in said squash match. Tyson Kidd, as an example.

I don't really support squash matches unless it's to put a monster over, but the point is that WWE DOES do squash matches. Glorified squash matches usually, but squash matches all the same. They'd get pretty much the same thing done with an unknown without hurting someone on the main roster.

Lock Jaw
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
But then those on the main roster who do wrestle in "glorified squash matches" won't get any TV time at all, because the local jobbers will have taken their spots.

glanville6
02-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Local jobbers worked well on ECW, but on RAW or Smackdown? I don't know.

My favorite general jobber memories are when Big Show would fight 2 or 3 lowcard guys (Justin Credible, Stevie Richards, etc...) and just dominate. Much more exciting seeing a dude beat up 3 guys instead of 1.

Ultra Mantis
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
WWECW heavily featured local jobbers towards the end of its run and it seemed kind of a waste. Dudebusters beating a couple of guys who aren't on the roster didn't really do anything for anybody, it didn't make them look good because when they did face somebody on the actual roster they just got their shit kicked in.

They have a bunch of guys who they seem to use in the jobber role full time and it works better because there's always that chance they could win and move up the card. Tatsu, Primo, Chavo, Usos, Zack Ryder, Baretta, JTG, etc

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
You have now proven without a shadow of a doubt, that you are a retarded cunt.

Banning time for the Champion of the cunts SaskatchewanChamp?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5ESOzRGgGSI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Beth Phoenix Fan
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KRmDleh4QdY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iNHB1_7t23Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQHFW8JG8hw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

They should hire more jobbers for Beth Phoenix to squash!

FourFifty
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM
There's some pros and cons with having local jobbers. On one hand guys like Big Zeke can get over without killing Tyson Kidd. On the other hand, these local jobbers want a pay check, and thus it'll cut Tyson Kidd's contract.