PDA

View Full Version : Jushin "Thunder" Liger - Will he ever come to WWE or be inducted to the HOF?

Xero
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I was just thinking about how big a legend Jushin Liger is. Despite this, he's never worked for WWE. Though he has worked the states, most notably in WCW.

Is there any chance of him ever coming into WWE? Would you like to see him in WWE? Will he ever go into the WWE HOF?

Discuss Jushin Thunder Liger in general in this thread.

XL
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I think he'd get a HoF nod. Not sure about working there though. How old is he now btw?

CSL
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I doubt it. He and the other Jap guys have more than enough fanfare in Japan. If he goes in, there's no reason not to put in a bunch of other Jap guys and I don't see that happening either. He's never directly worked for Vince and most people probably wouldn't have a clue who he is anyway, don't really see the point.

CSL
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
:heart: though

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5dFYm3avd4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Would Kevin Do?
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I highly doubt it, but if he gets in, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him and Pillman put in it together, since they really made that style of high flying "popular", and pretty much set the foundation for the cruiser weight division.

Juan
02-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I think you'd sooner see guys like TAKA or the Great Sasuke in the Hall

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
They put people who were never stars in the WWE in the hall of fame already. I don't see why he shouldn't be included. Nor do I see any reason why WWE wouldn't want him in there unless he doesn't really care to be included himself.

He'd be a great inclusion if they are really devoting a large piece of the inductees from WCW. He had the first match on WCW Nitro with Brian Pillman from the Mall of America. He was the biggest influence on the Light-heavyweights and Crusierweights in WCW, ECW and the WWF.

If they ever decided to do WrestleMania from the Tokyo Dome he'd be a shoe in for that one. They really ought to do a WrestleMania from the Tokyo Dome.

Swiss Ultimate
02-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Not before Ultimo Dragon!!!!

Rammsteinmad
02-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Don't really care to be honest.

whiteyford
02-10-2011, 04:26 AM
I could see him getting into the HOF down the line, noone expected Inoki to be in it after all, but i doubt we'd ever see him in the WWE.

seapig4
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
I'd like to see him in it one day. Since Vince has already put in guys who never worked for him and seems to really want this to be THE pro wrestling hall of fame and not just WWE's hall of fame it would be nice to have some Jap guys in it. Personally though i'd rather see the dynamite kid in it first and foremost

Swiss Ultimate
02-10-2011, 04:51 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xp7OtYXyGjM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xp7OtYXyGjM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k16Sasphyp0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k16Sasphyp0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Nicky Fives
02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
If Inoki got in, Liger should surely go in.....

Tom Guycott
02-10-2011, 08:12 AM
If Inoki got in, Liger should surely go in.....

Not before Ultimo Dragon!!!!

Both of these statements are correct!

Hanso Amore
02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Never

They put in guys that never worked for the WWE - YEs.

But those guys made their legacy in companies the WWE now owns the Tape Libraries and Names of.

Why would they enshrine someone who had nothing to do with anything about their company, and that they make no money on.

XL
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Well he was in WCW and WWE owns that tape library...

XL
02-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Would Liger want to go to WWE having seen what happened with Ultimo? And given how little they've done with Yoshi Tatsu?

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Inoki > everybody.

Testicle
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
If it was the mid-90s I would be all for it. He is 45ish now and I doubt him working in the WWE or being inducted into their Hall of Fame.

LuigiD
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
It seems impossible but I can see it happening..just not any time soon.
WWE seems to be expanding internationally. I could see them including more global stars to perhaps try and get the attention of foreign audiences.

DLVH84
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I definitely give Jushin Thunder Liger the nod for the Hall of Fame. His matches with Brian Pillman, Dean Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, and Rey Mysterio in WCW were fantastic.

Fignuts
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Probably Not.

Tiger Mask should definitely go in though. He was the lightheavyweight champion for a time in wwf, and was the primary pioneer of bringing cruiserweight wrestling to japan and the states.

Seth82
02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Tiger Mask def. should go in

as should Great Muta, Tenryu, Giant Baba, and Jumbo Tsuruta

CSL
02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Only guy I think should really go in is Inoki and he's already there. Baba maybe but if he was going, I guess he'd be there already. Tiger Mask probably has a better case for going in than Liger and guys like Muta, Kobashi etc.

CSL
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Fuck it, get all the Tiger Mask's in, have them feud with Nexus. Except Misawa obv :-\

Loose Cannon
02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
If Koko got in....

:roll:

The Fugitive
02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Tiger Mask def. should go in

as should Great Muta, Tenryu, Giant Baba, and Jumbo Tsuruta

You forgot Riki Chosyu, Tatsumi Fujinami and Yoshiaki Fujiwara. [/DLVH84]

DLVH84
02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Lets see...

Tiger Mask - Definitely, especially if he, Dynamite Kid, and the original Black Tiger (Mark Rocco) get inducted together.

Masahiro Chono and The Great Muta would definitely be in, as they have a great tenures in WCW, especially when they're part of the nWo.

Tatsumi Fujinami should be in, as he was the pioneer of junior heavyweight wrestling, and the first man to successfully graduate to the heavyweight division.

Giant Baba would be great as Baba traded the NWA title with Jack Brisco and Harley Race and teamed regularly with Andre The Giant.

Genichiro Tenryu would be a great pick, as Tenryu had inter-promotional deals with WWE in the 1990s with SWS and WAR.

Jumbo Tsuruta, without a doubt, would be a tremendous pick. Tsuruta was definitely considered by many wrestlers around the world as one of the best wrestlers in the world, not just in Japan. He was the very first Japanese wrestler to be cheered in America, at a time where anybody not from America was a heel.

Riki Choshu would also make a great pick, as he held the WWF International and World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championships.

Fujiwara, maybe.

FourFifty
02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Hayabusa > (insert your favorite Japanese wrestler here)

I just enjoy the guy, but I do give Liger the HoF nod, but NOT before Giant Baba.

DLVH84
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Hayabusa > (insert your favorite Japanese wrestler here)

I just enjoy the guy, but I do give Liger the HoF nod, but NOT before Giant Baba.

I enjoyed Hayabusa too. It was a shame that he suffered that career-ending neck injury.

CSL
02-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Lets see...

Tiger Mask - Definitely, especially if he, Dynamite Kid, and the original Black Tiger (Mark Rocco) get inducted together.

Masahiro Chono and The Great Muta would definitely be in, as they have a great tenures in WCW, especially when they're part of the nWo.

Tatsumi Fujinami should be in, as he was the pioneer of junior heavyweight wrestling, and the first man to successfully graduate to the heavyweight division.

Giant Baba would be great as Baba traded the NWA title with Jack Brisco and Harley Race and teamed regularly with Andre The Giant.

Genichiro Tenryu would be a great pick, as Tenryu had inter-promotional deals with WWE in the 1990s with SWS and WAR.

Jumbo Tsuruta, without a doubt, would be a tremendous pick. Tsuruta was definitely considered by many wrestlers around the world as one of the best wrestlers in the world, not just in Japan. He was the very first Japanese wrestler to be cheered in America, at a time where anybody not from America was a heel.

Riki Choshu would also make a great pick, as he held the WWF International and World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championships.

Fujiwara, maybe.

I love Rollerball Rocco but he shouldn't be anywhere near the WWE HOF. That's a stretch even for you.

Ruien
02-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Not to be a dick, but who? And this would be the reaction from about 90% of the WWE Universe.

CSL
02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Zis boy he speak ze truth

Xero
02-10-2011, 11:10 PM
That can be said about names like Mad Dog Vachon and Inoki. And they're just from last year's HOF.

DLVH84
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
How about The Cobra? He had a triangle feud with The British Bulldogs over the WWF Junior Heavyweight Championship after Tiger Mask first retired.

Seth82
02-10-2011, 11:22 PM
The Cobra George Takano is a great choice but I am sure most WWE fans have NO idea who he is

Plus I doubht he has any chance of ever being inducted

dingdongyo
02-11-2011, 12:46 AM
i have heard of this guy, but never saw him wrestle except for what people just posted. thus, my guess is prob no.
someone mentioned ultimo dragon. didn't he hold like 10 titles at once at some point? no idea what they were, just heard that factoid somewhere and thought it was nifty.

Seth82
02-11-2011, 01:08 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IZNUByW93tw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seth82
02-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Here's Baba teaming with The Funk Brothers taking on Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen and Terry Gordy

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tMV_8Uj3GWg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bm56rYxN2qY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom Guycott
02-11-2011, 03:32 AM
someone mentioned ultimo dragon. didn't he hold like 10 titles at once at some point? no idea what they were, just heard that factoid somewhere and thought it was nifty.

There's also a shooped demotivator that substantiates this fact. Sadly, all most U.S. fans will remember him for is almost eating shit during his entrance at Wrestlemania.

Although I also agree with The Great Muta getting in (I know I immediately associate any use of "poison mist" with him) he seems to be one of those underappreciated guys like Scott Norton, so it's doubtful he'll get the nod before a bunch of others listed here.

Fignuts
02-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Tiger mask, Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta, aqnd years from now, mutoh, are the only ones I see making it into the hall of fame. That's it, no one else.

And that's not from a "oh this guy deserves it" standpoint, it's from a wwe standpoint.

Hanso Amore
02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I love how DLH is suck a smark.

Chono has a GREAT RUN IN WCW? LOL He was on TV like less than 10 times and never got over in the US.

Muta has a good run with String in 89, hardly GREAT. You guys could convince yourselves of anything.

Hanso Amore
02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Only way they go in is if Wrestlemania goes to Japan.

Theo Dious
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
How about they just induct Japan into the HOF and get it over with.

Hanso Amore
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Jumping Bomb Angels

DLVH84
02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Jumping Bomb Angels

That's right. I almost forgot about them. They would definitely be it too, as they were the WWF Women's Tag Team Champions, which gives me another idea: bring back the Women's Tag Team titles, so the "divas" can learn tag team wrestling, as well as the guys.

Brigstocke
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Tajiri....

Mr. Nerfect
02-13-2011, 03:59 AM
I think Liger is more likely to go in then some of the guys mentioned here just because he was never in the WWE and was thus never turned into a comedy act, a perpetual mid-carder, etc. I mean, there have been a lot of Japanese greats, where Junior Heavyweights are treated with respect, that have translated into "mid-carder fodder" in the States. Ultimo Dragon should go in just for his abilities and how he has effected cruiserweight wrestling -- but what WWE clips are they going to show of him? Him slipping or drinking a cup of coffee in the back before his Velocity match?

Liger can be promoted as a Japanese great who plied his craft in a million dollar corporation, without the WWE showing him getting pinned by a big American guy in two minutes.

So yes, I do think Liger has a great shot at being in the Hall of Fame. If that happens, I can see Liger also signing on for video games, and even being given a few appearances in the ring. Not a full-time return, but a few matches the next time the WWE goes to Japan. On RAW he can team with Yoshi Tatsu to beat a heel tag team, and on SmackDown! he can go over Chavo Guerrero, as the commentators talk about how great he is.

Fignuts
02-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Still think Tiger Mask makes a lot more sense than Liger.

whiteyford
02-13-2011, 06:13 AM
If they induct the Dynamite kid i can see them putting Tiger Mask in at the same time.

DLVH84
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
If they induct the Dynamite kid i can see them putting Tiger Mask in at the same time.

More likely, Dynamite going to be inducted when Davey Boy Smith is inducted as well.

whiteyford
02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I think it depends how they induct them, if its as the Bulldogs or as singles guys, but then they've stopped trying to link all the inductess together like they did in the past and Dynamite might be a touchy subject anyway with how his career ended. They seem to put it across more as a wrestling HOF then simply the WWE's HOF, so i think guys like Tiger Mask & Liger could get in at some point in the same way Inoki, Gagne, the Sheik etc. got in.